Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
full service or self service?
i support full service
i'm a self-service degenerate
i have electric car vehicle
car? i don't even own a car #bikelife
View Results

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/us/oregon-drivers-pump-own-fuel-law/index.html

quote:

All gas stations in Oregon can now allow customers to pump their own gas under a new law signed Friday, lifting a ban on self-service in the state dating back to 1951.

The new law, House Bill 2426, signed Friday by Democratic Gov. Tina Kotek went into effect immediately, leaving New Jersey as the only state in the US where service station customers can’t pump their own fuel.

it now rests on New Jersey's shoulders alone to carry the full service ideology and fight the hordes of self-pumping degenerates

god bless the great state of new jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://imgur.com/gallery/cCFWL

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Post itt if you’ve ever had someone with NJ plates ask you for assistance in getting the pump to work at a gas station

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Bramble posted:

Post itt if you’ve ever had someone with NJ plates ask you for assistance in getting the pump to work at a gas station

I went to college with a kid from New Jersey and he could not figure out how to pump gas, even after we showed him. I think it was mostly nerves, he was terrified of spilling gas.

There was a full service gas station about 10 miles away from campus and he would just go out of his way to stop there, rather than ask us for help after a certain point.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Haters gonna hate but it is real fuckin choice to just pull up to a pump and hand your card out the window when it's cold or rainy or some poo poo. In this modern life we all got enough poo poo to deal with. Nothing wrong with taking one small worry off your plate.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tristesse posted:

Haters gonna hate but it is real fuckin choice to just pull up to a pump and hand your card out the window when it's cold or rainy or some poo poo. In this modern life we all got enough poo poo to deal with. Nothing wrong with taking one small worry off your plate.

And giving that worry to the immigrant or teenager of a lower socioeconomic class than you.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
eyyyyy I'm pumpin eeeeeerrreee

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

New Jersey stays winning, fuelcucks continue seething out here

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

putting petrol into a car is very very complicated

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

The Bramble posted:

I worked in a PA gas station close to the Delaware water gap to NJ and I would get this CONSTANTLY

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

"Everything's legal in New Jersey!" sings Lin-Manuel Miranda on Broadway, to the knowing laughter of audience after audience. Meanwhile, just across the bridge, Chris Christie and his goons at the State Police operate clandestine camps for prisoners accused of pumping their own gas. These black sites condemn their residents to years of hard labor stamping license plates and mixing concrete and rebar for the ubiquitous 'Jersey barriers'.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

we don't pump gas we pump fists op

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Nobody has time to pump gas in Jersey because they’re too busy gorging themselves on gabagool and vinnegah peppahs oof madonn!

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I always liked that about Oregon.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Nobody has time to pump gas in Jersey because they’re too busy gorging themselves on gabagool and vinnegah peppahs oof madonn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eqqOhETeM

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
how about instead of eliminating a bunch of jobs new jersey decides to join the other 49 states in legalizing left turns?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

OR gast stations still have to have pumps that are full service -- they just get to have a couple self-service pumps as well. if you know what i mean.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

It's true

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

The Bramble posted:

And giving that worry to the immigrant or teenager of a lower socioeconomic class than you.

im a job creator

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The Bramble posted:

Had a friend from Oregon call me to ask how to pump their gas once. They had only driven in Oregon and never needed to use a pump on their own until the age of 22.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm still gonna let the attendants do it for me, don't care

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My grandmother in law still goes to a full service gas station in Austin, TX

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I live in NJ, and nobody really knows why this is, there's just lore about it. Best I can figure; NJ had some of the lowest gas prices in the country in the past, and they used that as a way to say that full service was somehow making the gas cheaper. At this point, they probably keep it so people dont lose jobs. It's like tradition

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i travel a lot for work and many, many times i've pulled upt o a gas station and just sat there waiting for an attendant for a while before it clicks. I and I grew up in chicago so I know better!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Buce posted:

i travel a lot for work and many, many times i've pulled upt o a gas station and just sat there waiting for an attendant for a while before it clicks. I and I grew up in chicago so I know better!

are you sure its not because youre stoned?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I want the full service OP!

Oh wait, this is about cars and gas? Nevermind, I'll just masturbate.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Pontificating rear end posted:

I live in NJ, and nobody really knows why this is, there's just lore about it. Best I can figure; NJ had some of the lowest gas prices in the country in the past, and they used that as a way to say that full service was somehow making the gas cheaper. At this point, they probably keep it so people dont lose jobs. It's like tradition

There's one guy who really really likes to explain why Jersey is full serve and I'll stop by his spot when I have out of towners so they can hear his spiel. He claims it's all based on insurance rates. Gas stations can pay substantially lower insurance costs when you only have certified employees operating the pumps that the cost of wages for those employees is offset. Self serve stations have to carry insurance for the general public to handle volatile explosive chemicals.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I want the full service OP!

Oh wait, this is about cars and gas? Nevermind, I'll just masturbate.

cum has an octane rating of 0

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

are you sure its not because youre stoned?

ive never been more sobre in my life

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Went to the Jersey Shore last summer, stopped to pump my own gas without even thinking about. Some potato shaped bald guy in a blue jumpsuit comes outta the store yelling "what the hell are youz doing?!" I say back "what does it look like I'm doing?!" "loving TOURISTS gently caress YOUZ!" he yelled as he stomped back inside, his face turning red.

That's my Jersey story.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Pull up to the pump blasting 'born to run' light cigarettes in hand and tell me you dont have a good time, pussy. Only in Jersey baby

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/Ahsdci0.mp4

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tristesse posted:

There's one guy who really really likes to explain why Jersey is full serve and I'll stop by his spot when I have out of towners so they can hear his spiel. He claims it's all based on insurance rates. Gas stations can pay substantially lower insurance costs when you only have certified employees operating the pumps that the cost of wages for those employees is offset. Self serve stations have to carry insurance for the general public to handle volatile explosive chemicals.

Maybe in the 50s this was true but modern tanks and pumps have technology and safety features that all you really need is a button and someone who knows how to press it when there is a real emergency. You can’t even lose 10 gallons of fuel between the tank and the customers car without alarms going off and the fire department getting notified in a modern station.

Nov 6, 2002

The Bramble posted:

Maybe in the 50s this was true but modern tanks and pumps have technology and safety features that all you really need is a button and someone who knows how to press it when there is a real emergency. You can’t even lose 10 gallons of fuel between the tank and the customers car without alarms going off and the fire department getting notified in a modern station.

It doesn't take 10 gallons to start a fire. It's the fumes.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Incidentally, the flame front of fumes along the ground in this video is kinda awesome.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

fun fact if there arent enough fumes you could plunge a lit match into a tub of gasoline and all it will do is put it out

(do NOT try this at home)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Fill up ur own cars now you lazy fucks!

Why would anyone be afraid of handling highly flammable liquids?!

Scared of inhaling some and having the best high of your life?!

GAS FIGHT

Nov 6, 2002

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Why would anybody make a law to prevent New Jerseyans from setting themselves on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Why would anybody make a law to prevent New Jerseyans from setting themselves on fire?

Think of how much burning the average New Jersyan would damage the environment, who knows what kind of horrible chemical fire it might start. You'd probably at bare minimum need that poo poo they put out burning Tesla batteries with.