Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
full service or self service?
i support full service
i'm a self-service degenerate
i have electric car vehicle
car? i don't even own a car #bikelife
View Results

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Went to the Jersey Shore last summer, stopped to pump my own gas without even thinking about. Some potato shaped bald guy in a blue jumpsuit comes outta the store yelling "what the hell are youz doing?!" I say back "what does it look like I'm doing?!" "loving TOURISTS gently caress YOUZ!" he yelled as he stomped back inside, his face turning red.

That's my Jersey story.

I actually worked at a gas station, and the irony is people out of state dont know how to NOT pump their own gas. They're like "I just... sit in the car??" If someone got out of their car a certain way I would look at the plate if I needed to explain to them new jersey is full-service only.

One time it was at night and a guy looked really spooked that I approached him, and he drove off without getting gas; I just imagined him going to the next exit and having the same thing happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Think of how much burning the average New Jersyan would damage the environment, who knows what kind of horrible chemical fire it might start. You'd probably at bare minimum need that poo poo they put out burning Tesla batteries with.

I love checking my GIS data and seeing what horrible chemicals are in the spine of NJ. It rocks.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been to a Costco in New Jersey or Oregon, what's that like? Do they just not have mega long rows of gas pumps?
Something inside me wants to imagine a dozen well compensated Costco employees pumping my gas and washing my windows.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Did anyone ever figure out if you're supposed to tip the gas pump guy?

Every time I'm in New Jersey and have to get gas I never know if I should and always give the dude five bucks.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Decedent posted:

I've never been to a Costco in New Jersey or Oregon, what's that like? Do they just not have mega long rows of gas pumps?
Something inside me wants to imagine a dozen well compensated Costco employees pumping my gas and washing my windows.

They just dont have gas stations, there will inevitably be 5 gas stations nearby. Maybe this is part of why they didnt get rid of the rule, because those places will affect local jobs and business.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Every time I'm in New Jersey and have to get gas I never know if I should and always give the dude five bucks.

This never happens normally, but my friend used to work the station on as many holidays as possible because people would generously tip on those days, partially because they felt bad for you

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I'm not tipping for something I can do in 49 other states and the district of Columbia.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Pontificating rear end posted:

They just dont have gas stations, there will inevitably be 5 gas stations nearby. Maybe this is part of why they didnt get rid of the rule, because those places will affect local jobs and business.

Costco 100% has gas stations in NJ.

https://abc7ny.com/costco-gas-stations-new-jersey/12019703/
https://nj1015.com/njs-epic-stupidity-on-full-display-in-costco-gas-situation-opinion/
https://patch.com/new-jersey/summit/gas-all-nj-could-force-costco-sell-gas-everyone

And yes they have attendants.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Costcos in Oregon are also keeping the attendants too. I will be employing them. Thank you marketplace of ideas.

Nov 6, 2002

Oregon, Friday August 4th 2023.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

New Jersey truly is the promised land.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Attendants have gotten a little weird since this started coming down the pipeline. I gave the dude 15 seconds yesterday and he didn't even bother to get up or even look at me so I pumped it myself.

I remember reading comments on news articles when this first started and some people were losing their poo poo "I can't pump my own gas! I'll end up smelling like gasoline all day!"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I feel like each state should have its own mundane, arbitrary thing that people aren't allowed to do themselves. Like in Georgia you can't mow your own lawn, you have to hire a professional gardener, and in Nevada it's illegal to wash your own clothing so everything is done in fully staffed laundromats or something.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Doesn't NV already have a solicitation law in Vegas despite prostitution being legal in the state itself? As in it's illegal within Clark County proper and if some schmuck asks around on the strip about where they can hire a date they can theoretically get busted for it?

Nov 6, 2002

Devils Affricate posted:

I feel like each state should have its own mundane, arbitrary thing that people aren't allowed to do themselves. Like in Georgia you can't mow your own lawn, you have to hire a professional gardener, and in Nevada it's illegal to wash your own clothing so everything is done in fully staffed laundromats or something.

In Nevada, jerking off is illegal and requires a professional.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
In new Jersey do they have attendants to pull your pants down and wipe your rear end in the bathrooms

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Farg posted:

In new Jersey do they have attendants to pull your pants down and wipe your rear end in the bathrooms

it's a dangerous job where you get exposed to deadly fumes and pathogens that you only want trained people doing

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

some poor person posted:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I'm not tipping for something I can do in 49 other states and the district of Columbia.

nobody in the history of gas stations has tipped an attendant. unlike food service workers, they're paid at least min wage.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

it's a dangerous job where you get exposed to deadly fumes and pathogens that you only want trained people doing

the local nerws in OR recently had several segments about "how to pump gas safely" and it was as fuckin hilarious as you'd imagine

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Buce posted:

nobody in the history of gas stations has tipped an attendant. unlike food service workers, they're paid at least min wage.

I did as a dumb foreigner because I was told that I'm a monster if I don't tip everyone

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
In Indiana there was a chain of full service gas stations that lasted to around the 2010s. They were always just a little bit more expensive to get gas at and they were always dead unless the weather was bad, and then the lines were too long for me to bother.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I just hate how gas stations are playing ads at the pump now, sometimes you can't even mute'em and it sucks big time

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Buce posted:

the local nerws in OR recently had several segments about "how to pump gas safely" and it was as fuckin hilarious as you'd imagine

I mean I get it. I've literally never pumped gas before in my life. I mean I can probably do it just fine but there's a bunch of old people who have been here 80 years who have zero clue.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Can't pump your own gas, how are you supposed to give some for your car, then some for yourself and back and forth

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Can't pump your own gas, how are you supposed to give some for your car, then some for yourself and back and forth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFzeX-k1_E

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I was never sure of this, so when driving up I-5 I've just avoided the whole thing by getting gas the northernmost station in California and then the first station in Washington. It was a huge relief for me when car mileage got good enough to make this possible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I trust this will slow down the NJ folk coming to Maine.

Also, GASOLINE FIGHT!!!!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Agent Escalus posted:

Doesn't NV already have a solicitation law in Vegas despite prostitution being legal in the state itself? As in it's illegal within Clark County proper and if some schmuck asks around on the strip about where they can hire a date they can theoretically get busted for it?

It's county specific. You'd have to drive to the Love Ranch like an hour away or something.

Up north it's the same. In Reno you have to drive like 40 minutes east or south. The Bunny Ranch is about 5 minutes from the state capitol.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

every time I attempt to fill my own gas I succumb to an intense delusion where the ghost of saddam hussein has burst forth from the pump like a mad djinn spitting the venom of a cobra and cursing our great nation :911:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
You can teach people to pump gas, but you can't teach people how to pull into a car wash with tire guides.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I've spent 8 years combined living in NJ and OR, and I prefer to pump my own gas.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
On no less than five occasions, I've helped somebody pump gas from New Jersey that was from the exact town I'm from but in a different state the time

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I have to travel to (very) rural eastern Oregon for work, and there is no one worse to talk to than a rural eastern Oregon gas station attendant. I'm thrilled to have to make small talk with one fewer chud on my upcoming drives to Oregon.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

eSports Chaebol posted:

how about instead of eliminating a bunch of jobs new jersey decides to join the other 49 states in legalizing left turns?

you could make it illegal to wipe your own rear end and mandate attendants for that and call yourself a job creator too, but then some well-intentioned citizens might mix the too and self-pump some fuel into your rear end

e: poo poo, farg already made that joke

dervival fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 8, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Pontificating rear end posted:

This never happens normally, but my friend used to work the station on as many holidays as possible because people would generously tip on those days, partially because they felt bad for you

I spent half a year working for a gas station that had two pumps self serve, two pumps we'll do it for you and tips were pretty common. That being said this was in WA so not a full service being customary state, people were going out of their way to get someone else to pump their gas, very much expect tips are going to be more common in that situation.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I hear in Europe you don't have to tip the guy who wipes your rear end

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

They don't even tip in Europe bro!

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

He puts the tip in your rear end mon ami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Buce posted:

Waiters have to get paid at least minimum wage too, unless their tips make up for it. Were you under the impression that someone could get paid $2/hr or whatever even when they're not pulling in tips?