Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
full service or self service?
i support full service
i'm a self-service degenerate
i have electric car vehicle
car? i don't even own a car #bikelife
View Results

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I live in NJ, and nobody really knows why this is, there's just lore about it. Best I can figure; NJ had some of the lowest gas prices in the country in the past, and they used that as a way to say that full service was somehow making the gas cheaper. At this point, they probably keep it so people dont lose jobs. It's like tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Went to the Jersey Shore last summer, stopped to pump my own gas without even thinking about. Some potato shaped bald guy in a blue jumpsuit comes outta the store yelling "what the hell are youz doing?!" I say back "what does it look like I'm doing?!" "loving TOURISTS gently caress YOUZ!" he yelled as he stomped back inside, his face turning red.

That's my Jersey story.

I actually worked at a gas station, and the irony is people out of state dont know how to NOT pump their own gas. They're like "I just... sit in the car??" If someone got out of their car a certain way I would look at the plate if I needed to explain to them new jersey is full-service only.

One time it was at night and a guy looked really spooked that I approached him, and he drove off without getting gas; I just imagined him going to the next exit and having the same thing happen

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Decedent posted:

I've never been to a Costco in New Jersey or Oregon, what's that like? Do they just not have mega long rows of gas pumps?
Something inside me wants to imagine a dozen well compensated Costco employees pumping my gas and washing my windows.

They just dont have gas stations, there will inevitably be 5 gas stations nearby. Maybe this is part of why they didnt get rid of the rule, because those places will affect local jobs and business.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if you're supposed to tip the gas pump guy?

Every time I'm in New Jersey and have to get gas I never know if I should and always give the dude five bucks.

This never happens normally, but my friend used to work the station on as many holidays as possible because people would generously tip on those days, partially because they felt bad for you