Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

started rewatching columbo again and figured there should be a thread. I loving love this show. From Falk's performance making Columbo into a charming - to killers disarming - and sincere man, to the humor to the guest stars leading to situations where you have one guy play like eight different killers over the course of the show. The storytelling feels like something I've never seen anywhere else, too. Not just the clever way things get connected and watching Columbo puzzle out how to prove it, but the ability to humanize the murderers without like glorifying them is also sometimes incredibly strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just watched an ep last night where cops keep trying to tell columbo that he needs to go to the pistol range and get practice in because it's been literally years since the last time he fired his service weapon. Cop tells him they're going right now and columbo is all "I can't! My gun's back at the station" and the cop is just all wtf about it. so loving good

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

My favorite technique that columbo uses is not actually planting evidence, just pretending to, to freak 'em out.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

man that one guy who plays the killer in like a third of the eps is so good. the one where he is a magician called The Great Santini (secretly a fugitive nazi and being blackmailed by a club owner over it) was cool. plays a guy who himself is playing a million different characters

e: just checked imdb to try to learn his name and they say that Jack Cassidy was only in 3 eps. that seems way low

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Columbowns

copy
Jul 26, 2007

simple as

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Recently released on Blu-Ray, I believe.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Recently released on Blu-Ray, I believe.

coming out november 21st but preorders are up. i picked up the japanese boxed set a while back because there was nothing better than dvd here. came with a japanese version of the script for Prescription: Murder lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Got to the Leonard nemoy episode. That one is pretty good, but the one right before it with the actress ruled. Might be my favorite episode so far. Columbo owns.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Absolutely incredible performance from Donald Pleasence, what a pro.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Leadthumb posted:

Absolutely incredible performance from Donald Pleasence, what a pro.

That one's my favorite episode

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

[Hitching my coattails up over my front pockets] columbo owns

copy
Jul 26, 2007

sisters came to visit so we watched the martin sheen/vincent price episode. love it when columbo acts starstruck by the people he meets

copy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2023

copy
Jul 26, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That one's my favorite episode

columbo getting the guy to admit his crime by making the alternative a blackmail marriage owned lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bro the way this dude shouted "run the ballistics!" and then looked like he was gonna cry when columbo explained how he owned himself. I was jumping up and hollering at my tv lmao you dumb rear end in a top hat you didn't even have to do all that he woulda got you anyways lmfao crybaby, his face reads no... columbo stop... please he clocked your dumb rear end from a mile away clown. gently caress! I was dying!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Bro the way this dude shouted "run the ballistics!" and then looked like he was gonna cry when columbo explained how he owned himself. I was jumping up and hollering at my tv lmao you dumb rear end in a top hat you didn't even have to do all that he woulda got you anyways lmfao crybaby, his face reads no... columbo stop... please he clocked your dumb rear end from a mile away clown. gently caress! I was dying!

need a "columbo makes the murderer cry" montage STAT

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Donald pleasance ep is my fave, also a fan of the one with the writer running guns for the IRA

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Donald pleasance ep is my fave, also a fan of the one with the writer running guns for the IRA

The Donald Pleasence one is like a Top 5 episode of TV in general. Just so loving good.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Johnny Cash knocking this episode outta the park.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

incredible meltdown this episode, the way he spins out of frame at the end. timestamp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TGyYNUI4MI&t=537s

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

incredible meltdown this episode, the way he spins out of frame at the end. timestamp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TGyYNUI4MI&t=537s

columbo does some wild loving poo poo sometimes. like that or the dream sequence in the chess episode or the time where the sequence of the killer trying to cover up the murder is played in the reflection of his glasses. great loving show

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Leadthumb posted:

such great pulls for the cast too. this was the year after A Woman Under the Influence, it got Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands back in front of the camera together

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my gf and I go between watching this and HxH. it's fantastic how often Columbo is written like an antagonist to the killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yup