Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Problem description: Recently my motherboard died, and I ended up having to replace everything but the hard drives.

In the process the person helping me set up the new hardware did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new harddrive.

So now my PC has both the new drive with the fresh install, and the old drive with the previous install.

I want to try and salvage as many application settings, etc from the old install, even if I have to reinstall the programs themselves.

Is there a good way to do this? Most of the software I’ve looked at talks about migrating profiles from an old PC to a new PC, but what I have is just the new PC and a drive that has all the files from the old PC. I am more than happy to purchase a piece of software to do this.

Operating system: Windows 10 home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

I want to try and salvage as many application settings, etc from the old install, even if I have to reinstall the programs themselves.

Is there a good way to do this? Most of the software I’ve looked at talks about migrating profiles from an old PC to a new PC, but what I have is just the new PC and a drive that has all the files from the old PC. I am more than happy to purchase a piece of software to do this.

It would depend heavily on what applications you have. Some programs you can just transfer one folder over and everything is fine. Others have a bunch of registry settings etc.

As far as migrating profiles etc. I haven't tried doing something like that in a long time but back in the XP, Vista, 7 days it wasn't always reliable.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zogo posted:

It would depend heavily on what applications you have. Some programs you can just transfer one folder over and everything is fine. Others have a bunch of registry settings etc.

As far as migrating profiles etc. I haven't tried doing something like that in a long time but back in the XP, Vista, 7 days it wasn't always reliable.

Thanks for the insight!

It was already giving me a huge headache with the profiles as it was since the old one was a local profile that later got attached to a MS account while the new one was already using said account that I largely gave up.

I ended up manually copying over AppData and things like the Desktop, and if that lets things like Firefox keep their settings then great, otherwise I’ll recreate them as they pop up.