Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Inspired by the enshittification thread and considering most of the net is now either outright evil like social media or poo poo beyond belief I was wondering
what is still good about the modern internet? What aspects should be preserved in the rethink of the modern internet that is long overdue?

So to start I reckon podcasts are a cool idea and not entirely poo poo yet

Steam is pretty good in that they keep my vidya safe from the 2nd hand shops

And the fact that Spotify has every tune at a click of a button would be cool if they hadn’t gutted the music industry to do it

What do you think the modern net does at least somewhat right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nothing.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Similar thread a while back I said bandcamp is ok and then somebody told me epic bought it so enjoy it while it lasts

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wikipedia is pretty good.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Similar thread a while back I said bandcamp is ok and then somebody told me epic bought it so enjoy it while it lasts

They bought it awhile back at this rate and from my understanding they're still doing band camp Fridays so who knows.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Of course they loving did. Gross.

I like the format of forums like SA. Everything is in chronological order, there's no way to like a post or anything like stupid badges. You can actually carry on a conversation, essentially. It's like a big group discussion, but it doesn't take my full attention like a discord server, etc.

There is also no way to verify anyone is who they say they are, but gently caress it, that's actually appealing. I don't want to be [actual name here] on the internet, I want to be some chucklefuck with a meme name.

Honestly, a lot of kind of meaningful moments of kindness in my life have happened with people I only know by the kind of name you find on SA or the weird parts of Twitter.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
ChatGPT, archive.org, github, piratebay.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Bandcamp still works as it always has.

Archive.org
Librivox
Wikipedia
Discogs
NTS radio is good.
Theres a lot of good streaming radio I wouldn't be able to access without the web, actually.
Podcasts, and I guess Patreon
Still lots of blogs and personal websites out there.

Its pretty easy to just not use the parts of the web you don't enjoy.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Shout out to goon community watch party site https://goontu.be/ as a part of the still good internet :discourse:

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Internet Old One posted:

ChatGPT, archive.org, github, piratebay.

chatGPT is absolutely an enshittifier, i'm saving amazon

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
All the pictures of pretty girls.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

William Bear posted:

All the pictures of pretty girls.

Except one. You know the one I'm talking about.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Pig balls

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

All Too Much For Me posted:

Amazon is a primary cultural driver of enshittification.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Other than this?
Just send me back to '05 or so.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Wee posted:

Librivox

I appreciate what they are trying to do, it is a truly noble and altruistic cause. But geez, you sure do get that you pay for with some of those narrators.

To add: Project Gutenberg

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Honestly? AI concept art generators like Artflow. If your hobby is being a forever GM like it is for me, it's incredibly easy to turn out decent pictures of NPCs in period garb or scenery without having to trawl through Google images for ages looking for the right one. It's definitely saved me a lot of time.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Titties :q:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Your OnlyFans page OP.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Minotaurus Rex posted:

So to start I reckon podcasts are a cool idea

:one:

DicktheCat posted:

There is also no way to verify anyone is who they say they are, but gently caress it, that's actually appealing. I don't want to be [actual name here] on the internet, I want to be some chucklefuck with a meme name.

Yeah, this is one of the things I miss most about the old Internet.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
What’s your beef with yon podcasts? Other than the bullshit sponsorships/ads and all the culture war shitslinging/potstirring

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
theres something conceited about podcasting

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Amazon is a primary cultural driver of enshittification.

i thought this was sufficiently unsubtle to pass as sarcasm, but as "podcasts" and "generative ai images" are on the save list I guess not

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

forums like SA.

Voted :bigfive:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Weather websites are super useful.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

20 Blunts posted:

theres something conceited about podcasting

There’s something conceited about almost everything unfortunately nowadays what with the psychological toxic waste social media has been pouring into society as fast as it can…

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The ability to talk to all my friends around the world.

:wave:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

i thought this was sufficiently unsubtle to pass as sarcasm, but as "podcasts" and "generative ai images" are on the save list I guess not

We can leave podcasts off the list but you gotta convince me why they’re wiggedy wack. I definitely wouldn’t put generative ai images on the list tho they’re crap. I only have this shite generative ai avatar coz someone gave it to me in a thread for avatarless fucks

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DicktheCat posted:

Of course they loving did. Gross.

I like the format of forums like SA. Everything is in chronological order, there's no way to like a post or anything like stupid badges. You can actually carry on a conversation, essentially. It's like a big group discussion, but it doesn't take my full attention like a discord server, etc.

Honestly, a lot of kind of meaningful moments of kindness in my life have happened with people I only know by the kind of name you find on SA or the weird parts of Twitter.

Yeah, although that's down to moderation rather than format, I think. I sometimes stumble into abandoned, non-SA forums while looking for DIY or guitar info and people were really into one upmanship and just snarky unpleasantness in like 2007-2011. Some of it's almost quaint, but it's pretty galling how much casual homophobia was just kind of floating around Ultimate Guitar threads on Telecaster bridges or whatever, but it doesn't have the same vibe of everyone's mental illnesses colliding and exploding like the modern social Internet.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
zombo.com

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The Something Awful Forums

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Really most of the old webring style things are pretty good.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ChatGPT is absolutely an enshittifier of other things and it itself will be enshittified in short order. But at the moment it's relatively benign and it's use is fairly open. I feel that we're in the good times here.

Neocities and the retro web in general is also another bit of good internet.
The fediverse is showing some promise.
BBSing is showing some resurgence.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Minotaurus Rex posted:

We can leave podcasts off the list but you gotta convince me why they’re wiggedy wack.

Back when rss (actually let's save that) was a thing, you'd find interesting titles, and the content would just be a two hour podcast.

So to me they're a pallbearer for the enshittification trait of burying the lede really deep.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Loss edits

Wee posted:

Archive.org

:hmmyes:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

So to me they're a pallbearer for the enshittification trait of burying the lede really deep.

Burying the what now

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Burying the what now

I don't know what a "lede" is, but they're right.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Burying the what now

burying the lede is hiding the most important facts deep within.

the "lede" is the first paragraph of an article in a newspaper, it was spelt "lede" and not "lead" so typesetters would know not to print it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

burying the lede is hiding the most important facts deep within.

the "lede" is the first paragraph of an article in a newspaper, it was spelt "lede" and not "lead" so typesetters would know not to print it

Yeah that is an annoying shittified trait. Haven’t noticed it so much on podcasts as I’m not really listening to podcast for important facts but more like rambling history stuff, independent music and the aimless banter of stand up comics. I can imagine that’s hella annoying tho

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 9, 2023