Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Kingoffrogs posted:

Totseans.com - This place is a graveyard, unfortunately.

every thread is about methamphetamine. this site owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
GitHub is cool

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

does anyone know of more sites like zombo com please?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

flubber nuts posted:

does anyone know of more sites like zombo com please?

Zombo.com is more than enough for any purpose

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sekenr posted:

Yeah, the only limited is yourself, the infinite is possible.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Kingoffrogs posted:

Which one, by chance. there are only 3 left that I know of.

Niggasin.space - Run by Lanny, who hasn't posted since April so I have no clue where he is. The site is fairly active with easily 25+ posts every few hours.

Newtotse.com - Run by Helladamnleet, this site runs on vbulletin so it runs smoothly as hell, essentially an old-school feel with some added features.

I miss the internet when it was like the wild west XD.

The first one. :) I’m not really a totsean I have known of it for a long time and maybe went there a handful of times in the web forum days but I think it’s wild their community has outlived their forum and drifts through the internet and I’ll probably post there once in awhile now.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Sekenr posted:

youre right, sorry. i dont know what got into me last night... thank you. :)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Kingoffrogs posted:

flubber nuts posted:

every thread is about methamphetamine. this site owns.

I'm inclined to believe there might be a cause-and-effect relationship here.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
If I were a punk girl called Beth I would definitely call myself Beth Amphetamine (just sayin’)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minotaurus Rex posted:

If I were a punk girl called Beth I would definitely call myself Beth Amphetamine (just sayin’)

I think that's a derby name.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The erotica

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Inspired by the enshittification thread and considering most of the net is now either outright evil like social media or poo poo beyond belief I was wondering
what is still good about the modern internet? What aspects should be preserved in the rethink of the modern internet that is long overdue?

So to start I reckon podcasts are a cool idea and not entirely poo poo yet

Steam is pretty good in that they keep my vidya safe from the 2nd hand shops

And the fact that Spotify has every tune at a click of a button would be cool if they hadn’t gutted the music industry to do it

What do you think the modern net does at least somewhat right?

Certain parts of youtube that does good, long form content.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Minotaurus Rex posted:

"Methany" is a strong contender.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Certain parts of youtube that does good, long form content.

why just the long form content? there's plenty of good short videos too :confused:

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I think RSS-based content and wikis are the two top things to keep. Blogs and newsletters have been making a fantastic upswing, and podcasts have done so good at making great stuff for all kinds of people (including terrible stuff for terrible people).
Forums are nice.
I feel torn about YouTube, it's tough to want to encourage people to rely on algorithms for recommending content, even though I'm hooked on tiktok. My rule of thumb I guess is the more hyper specialized and small-time the content, the better. Everyone's mentioned diy appliance repair videos, which is a great example.
Websites with PDFs of every manual out there are a must-save for me, also.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean these things can be separate

the good thing about youtube is the content that is on there. or at least a lot of it. that's completely separate from the algorithm.

like, i'm not an engineer, but it doesn't seem impossible to make a site in which anyone can upload and share videos and which doesn't have some kind of recommendation algorithm that constantly sticks hosed up poo poo in your face. like it could just be that the only way you find new videos is through people you've intentionally subscribed to, or stuff that you search for via tags, and that's it, with nothing else being fed to you. no "people who watched X also watched Y" crap, just stuff you the user actively look for.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i mean these things can be separate

the good thing about youtube is the content that is on there. or at least a lot of it. that's completely separate from the algorithm.

like, i'm not an engineer, but it doesn't seem impossible to make a site in which anyone can upload and share videos and which doesn't have some kind of recommendation algorithm that constantly sticks hosed up poo poo in your face. like it could just be that the only way you find new videos is through people you've intentionally subscribed to, or stuff that you search for via tags, and that's it, with nothing else being fed to you. no "people who watched X also watched Y" crap, just stuff you the user actively look for.
There are plenty of user-generated content platforms where their algorithm sucks and you indeed find videos via keyword searches. You don’t hear about them because they don’t work. Good videos don’t get found, and the creator economy can’t survive.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I almost want to make a thread asking about what the good RSS feeds to follow in 2023 are. Almost. I’m just too drat lazy

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I gotta say YouTube’s algorithm doesn’t feel as egregiously out to get me in the same way as Facebook’s does. Like on Facebook if I try to tell the algorithm to stop showing me something I find upsetting it’s pretty much a surefire way to have it start shoving it in my face. Facebook’s algorithm is like a bully, you got to not let it know it’s getting to you.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
What's a good RSS app? I tried the Google Chrome "following" one—which isn't the same thing—but so far I hate it. I'm just looking for something simple.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What's a good RSS app? I tried the Google Chrome "following" one—which isn't the same thing—but so far I hate it. I'm just looking for something simple.

google reader

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

That one got Google'd already. That is to say they killed it and the app is gone now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I can't say I've ever been that burned by YouTube algorithm, it seems to get me, except that time I drank two bottles of wine and watched Mortal Kombat lore and fatality videos for hours.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
spotify is loving horrible. if you want to listen to music without paying the people that made it then just get soulseek

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Seconding soulseek. You should use Nicotine+ as it really is the better client these days. Just don't check the irc bit unless you wanna see some real bozos.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Earwicker posted:

why just the long form content? there's plenty of good short videos too :confused:

Short form content is inherently damaging and has shown to reduce people's attention spans.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

It depends on what sort of experience you want and what you’re trying to track with RSS.

Do you want to get news articles like it’s the front page of the internet?

Do you want to follow the one good thread from a handful of lovely forums?

Do you want to funnel the activity of a bunch of slow forums into one place so there’s always activity?

Also I’ve noticed that when I find an RSS reader I like for one platform it’s unavailable for other platforms so it might be good to mention your OS.

Also RSS is supported a lot more than you think but you have to dig for it. There are tools you can find with google that you can point at a url and find out if it has feeds. Also sometimes you can find out what software a site uses and google if it supports feeds somehow.

I’m not fully into the swing of using RSS but I have a lot of it set up and I remember it’s there when the internet sucks. “Why am I reading this crap I know where I can probably find something good”

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Short form content is inherently damaging and has shown to reduce people's attention spans.

Short form content makes me feel like disoriented and unhappy within a few minutes of starting watching, can’t stand it. By that I mean the TikTok and (eurgh) facebook shorts style. Facebook shorts or reels or whatever the gently caress it’s called is I think the very bottom of the barrel of human culture, the absolute worst.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Earwicker posted:

it's not impossible to make, it's just impossible to support - video hosting is *incredibly* expensive relative to any other kind of data storage is the big problem. that's paart of the reason why only the really toxic platforms for video hosting are still around; they're the only ones that could afford to keep servers running

personally I'd rather things close than corrupt like that, but eh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Short form content makes me feel like disoriented and unhappy within a few minutes of starting watching, can’t stand it. By that I mean the TikTok and (eurgh) facebook shorts style. Facebook shorts or reels or whatever the gently caress it’s called is I think the very bottom of the barrel of human culture, the absolute worst.

maybe we are talking about different things? like im not talking about tiktoks im talking about youtube, where i think of "short form content" as like 2-10 minutes (as opposed to "long form" which would be an hour or more), and like thats the typical length of most songs or music videos? which is most of what i watch, and make, and they don't make me disoriented or unhappy at all. quite the opposite.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

dervival posted:

it's not impossible to make, it's just impossible to support - video hosting is *incredibly* expensive relative to any other kind of data storage is the big problem. that's paart of the reason why only the really toxic platforms for video hosting are still around; they're the only ones that could afford to keep servers running

personally I'd rather things close than corrupt like that, but eh

With backblaze and cloudflare you could probably host a popular youtuber for $100 - $6000 a year depending on what kind of uptime you want but it you need labor and advertising which is going to dwarf that figure.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Old Reader
Inoreader
Feedly
Feedbin

Edit: you can also install Thunderbird or Vivaldi Mail. Both are email software, which also include RSS functionality.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 16, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Tik tok made me feel so awful I uninstalled it a day after I tried it. Instagram being used as people's TikTok mirror sites has also ruined Instagram, but that's partly Insta's fault for prioritizing reels to compete with TikTok.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Tik tok made me feel so awful I uninstalled it a day after I tried it.

In what way?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's constantly refreshing to blast new video content at your face every few seconds. It feels like there's no rest between getting shotgunned in the face by content.

Its like being assaulted by the Internet and left me with a feeling that can only be described as that greasy, heartburny sensation you get after having too many slices of pizza.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it feels like there's no rest between getting shotgunned in the face by content.

you can just put your phone down :confused:

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Shade Fell posted:

Don't worry, my 14yo and their friends are VERY aware of goatse. It's still around.

My 11 year old nephew Goatse'd me via text. Got to talk to SIL about content blocking, and how some parents who monitor their kids texts are probably not too happy right now with him.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Earwicker posted:

Ah yes truly the solution, leave the app I hate installed and ignore the device that I do ALL of my communication outside of work with. Why didn't I think of that, instead of uninstalling TikTok??? I'm so dumb tee-hee.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Earwicker posted:

You can, in theory, stop doing crack too but that is not how addictive substances and experiences work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Internet Old One posted:

ChatGPT, archive.org, github, piratebay.
ChatGPT is ruining everything that wasn't already ruined, and Microsoft owns both it and github now, basically, so prepare to have everything anybody has ever posted to github be scraped by Microsoft's investment-to-the-tune-of-billions in AI to basically kill coding as a job within about fifteen years.

"Learn to code" is about to become "learn to code one specific thing AI can't do and be connected through your family's money and influence enough that you can get a job doing that thing" just like everything else.

But archive.org and ThePirateBay are still good as far as I know.