Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Uhh well this is the last year of CFB as it sorta always has been organized more or less. So with that said, lets enjoy predicting who knows what for our teams this year and maybe some of us will be lucky and enjoy the season.

I will provide my feelings on the winning probability for each game (W%/L%) and then a best, expected, and worst case scenario for the team.

Virginia Tech Hokies
https://twitter.com/HokiesFB/status/1689374315228090369

Well that first season could have gone better. It was a near flash from the past but without the talent to get to a bowl! No offense, decent defense that is let down by the awful offense! Classic! I still have the feeling Pry gets it and has us on the path to respectability again. I don't expect it to turn around this year, but I feel like the opportunity for us to be a 9-10ish win team year in and out under him in a few years feels more possible than it did when Fu was around. The team went 1-4 in 1 score games, so if they can just be a bit better kind of all over, they have a good opportunity to make a bowl and build on the momentum the staff started on the recruiting trail this summer. I think this roster will be not as awful as most outlets are predicting with a bowl outing minimum.

9/2 ODU (90/10) - Yeah we lost to them last year, but now their best player is on our team. Home opener, I feel the talent level is up and with a year under their belt I think the Liberty game was a good preview of what we can look forward to and they will win this opener.

9/9 Purdue (55/45) - Last time we played in wherever Purdue is it was not close. Brohm left a more talented team than before, but first year coaches and a real loss of talent there makes me want to give the edge to my Hokies at home.

9/16 @ Rutgers (50/50) - They're rutgers. They are awful. It's also a road game and we were awful last year so toss up to me. If the team wants to over achieve Purdue and this game are lynchpins to breathing room in conference play to make a bowl.

9/23@ Marshall (55/45) - I dunno, we shouldn't be losing to middle ground CUSA teams, but hey its a road game so toss up to me, with a lean to VT for really needing to get back to winning this kind of game.

9/30 Pitt (45/55) - Narduzzi has housed us so badly in the last 4ish years that I don't trust this team even at home to not get pointlessly embarrassed by Pitt, so lean to them, but I think it's not a joke this year.

10/7 @ FSU (20/80) - They're way more talented with much higher expectations and the coaching staff is established more than VTs. Tough one, if they can keep it competitive thats a win.

10/14 Wake (50/50) - At least its at home, and Wake lost a lot including their really nice QB. Toss up, I think we might have more talent now, but they're very well coached, but the D is still terrible down there in mini Lane so this is a must get for bowl eligibility.

10/26 Syracuse (50/50) - If their QB is healthy this might be a tough out, but all their best talent went to the league after last year. Who knows though both programs have been inconsistent for a while, toss up.

11/4 @ Louisville (40/60) - We beat this team a couple years ago when I thought they should be better than us, so maybe we can repeat that. Brohm has a track record that Pry doesn't so edge to him and they soaked up more transfer talent so edge there too.

11/11 @ BC (60/40) - Maybe they're healthy and going on the road to their empty dead stadium in November has not traditionally been kind to the Hokies, but we obliterated them last year with their most talented offensive player in a long while, so I think VT deserves the benefit of the doubt here given the results from worse rosters last year.

11/18 NCSU (45/55) - Should have gotten em last year (one of those 1 score losses...), but Doeren's program is way more mature than ours, they should be favored and I wouldn't count on a W here, but NCSU rarely is just way out in front of anyone so if it's close may have a chance.

11/26 @ UVA (95/5) - Commonwealth Cup stays where it belongs. UVA is going to be very very bad this year, Elliot has a tough job there and Pry is ahead of him already. Would have been a 4th win last year, I don't think that tragedy can motivate the caliber of roster they have to a good record.

12/? ACC Title Game - lol no, especially now that there are no more divisions.

Best Outcome: 9-3/5-3 ACC - Best possible case scenario is this team wins all the non conference and beats everyone but the clearly better programs on the schedule. This would require the offense to be considerably more productive and for the defense to go from good to great (perhaps not elite) and this team with the schedule could have an outside shot at a strong result. I think that's unlikely, but outside of FSU every game is potentially winnable from the outlook, I just couldn't bank on it.

Expected Outcome: 7-5/4-4 ACC - Go 3-1 non conference, win the ACC games against equal or worse programs and lose to the developed ones. Winning record in year two would be a huge win and I think this team will be capable of it. Will they reach it, I think it will be a great sign if they do, but if they don't I won't be truly hurt about it yet.

Worst Outcome: 4-8/2-6 ACC - This would be bad, to be clear, and would basically be a functional repeat of last year. Beat BC and UVA, two teams in way worse shape, and lose to basically everyone else on the schedule outside of the G5 OOC. This seems to be where most pundits are feeling the Hokies, and I kinda doubt it, but being real it's not really even far from possibility.

Tennessee Volunteers
https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/1688618114655637504

Milton Bombs time. The offense will probably stay very good, and if the defense can go from good to very good or great this team may have a chance for a special season. Last season was very fun and so very close to being even wilder, but you can see the blueprint for winning with Huepel and it'll be exciting to see how far we can go.

9/2 UVA (99/1) - Vols gonna score many TDs against them I think. This is going to be so ugly. I get that when it was penned it seemed attainable to be competitive, but the Hoos are gonna get waxed in this neutral site game.

9/9 Austin Peay (99/1) - Yeah tune up game, lets see that 5* freshman in the 2nd half.

9/16 @ Florida (60/40) - Time to prove that Florida's time is up and the Vols are gonna win for a few years here. I don't think they can score with us. That said, their general streak over the Vols still looms large, getting 2 in a row will be big.

9/23 UTSA (85/15) - They are a solid team for their level of competition, Vols should win but they have to be careful not to get lazy or UTSA could put a scare in em.

9/30 USCe (55/45) - Uhh I dunno what happened last year guys I can't quite remember? I think the Vols have the edge here, but when you give up 60+ to a conference opponent you gotta be a bit concerned for the next time y'all play.

10/14 aTm (60/40) - They're super talented, they could be good, they always play a top team really tough. Vols could also boat race them at home, I dunno. Lean Vols.

10/21 @ Alabama (45/55) - Got em last year in a crazy exciting game. On the road, they have to find a QB, but the program maturity at Bama is evident and it's hard to favor the vols on the road against Saban and his band of 5*s everywhere.

10/28 @ Kentucky (60/40) - I really thought this would be a tight game last year and it really wasn't. Won't count on Stoops to have it go that wrong again this year, so lean Vols, but maybe not quite the blow out.

11/4 UConn (95/5) - LOL, no need for a November FCS game guys we got the better for bowl eligibility version!

11/11 @ Mizzou (55/45) - Smoked em, and I think we're gonna get it again on the road.

11/18 Georgia (40/60) - Well last year this game was deflating, but getting it at home with a more experienced QB than them might be enough of an edge. This game should decide the East division in it's last year.

11/26 Vanderbilt (90/10) - Lol Vandy, you don't even have a unique logo anymore. Bad team that will take a good coach a while to drag back to decent. One of the few assured Ws on the schedule I think.

12/? SEC Title Game - If the Vols make it here I think they have a good chance to be favored against a west opponent since it will mean the Vols have to be undefeated imo.

Best Outcome 12-0/8-0 SEC - If this team does what fans want them to do it means running the table, winning the SEC, and going to the playoffs as the 1 seed. Lofty, but probably not out of reach given how they played last year. Milton will finally achieve his QB potential in this scenario and goes off to be a 1st Round draft pick. TITLES ON TITLES ON TITLES if we do this!

Expected Outcome 10-2/6-2 SEC - Win everything but Bama and Georgia. Or whatever, but a loss to Georgia and someone else. That USCe game from last year reminded me too much of my classic Hokies and that kind of random funk is not something most programs get rid of overnight on the path to the top. Another good season with hopefully another NY6 game, but not quite the pinnacle.

Worst Outcome 7-5/3-5 SEC - Milton ain't it, the defense regresses and we lose to our rivals and SEC west draw. Oof that would be a major disappointment, but I've seen Texas do that same song and dance plenty so it's not implausible.

What do y'all have for your teams? Optimism springs eternal in this thread for a snap hasn't happened yet.

Better late than never i suppose to get those predictions up. Even though I'm even later than last year...

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hard to follow a quality effort post like that, but I'll say that despite my best efforts I've succumbed to the Rhule kool-aid. Nebraska goes bowling this year.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Not up for an effortpost (Stanley Tucheetos might be?) 'cause I got no clue about Oklahoma. This will be OU's easiest schedule in a long, long while--decades, probably. But coming off our worst season since 1998, there's gotta be some bounce-back, right? My gut tells me it's a 9-3 year. Plugging in a loss to Texas, and I think the 'Pokes get us this year in Stillwater for the bad juju in precipitating the end of Bedlam. Another loss in there somewhere--@BYU? Not sure the last time OU played in altitude like that. I can see Jalon Daniels carving up the Sooner D in Lawrence too. Maybe it's more an 8-4 season.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

2023 Florida Gators

he's called Big Des for a reason

Florida's 2022 season was a traditional year 1 under a new coaching regime. Florida won its opener against Pac-12 champion Utah, which sparked optimism amongst the fanbase. The optimism subsided as Anthony Richardson was never able to play with enough consistency to overcome Florida's horrendous defense, which was even worse than the defenses Florida fielded under Todd Grantham. Off-the-field there was the Jaden Rashada affair, with Rashada being released from his letter of intent following Florida's NIL groups not being able to fulfill the agreement they had made with Rashada's agents. Florida lost 3 assistant coaches from last year's staff to the NFL, including last year's DC, Patrick Toney.

On offense, Florida is gonna run the drat ball in a way that a Georgia fan would love. Napier is a run-first guy, and the most talented and proven position group on the team is the RB room. Montrell Johnson has good vision and feel for Florida's zone blocking scheme, and Trevor Etienne showed elite potential as a true freshman last year. Florida had its best OL since the Meyer years last year, but 4 of those linemen left the program with 2 leaving for the NFL and 2 leaving for USC. Whether or not the new OL gels will be the key to Florida's success on offense this season.

Graham Mertz will ideally not be asked to do much. His job will be to hit the play-action shots that Napier's offense can open up, and to not turn the ball over. Florida needs another pass-catcher to emerge to ease the load on WR Ricky Pearsall, who is the only proven pass-catcher on the roster right now. I'm optimistic that one of the trio of freshmen WRs will come through given Billy Napier's track record with WRs.

Defensive improvement hinges on a new DC, much improved DL depth, and for the new starters at LB and S to find their footing. Florida's new DC, Austin Armstrong was the DC at Southern Miss last season, and he was set to coach linebackers this year at Alabama with an eye towards becoming Alabama's next DC before Florida hired him. Armstrong was the closest thing to a continuity hire Napier could make, with Armstrong coaching under Napier at Louisiana. Armstrong's defenses at Southern Miss were known for their aggression.

Florida's depth and quality at DL is the best it's been since 2019. EDGE Princely Umanmielen will be the leader in the DL room, and transfers DL Cam'Ron Jackson and Caleb Banks are expected to be impact contributors. The corners should be solid, headlined by potential first-round pick Jason Marshall. There will be glitches from a young linebacker corps, who will probably have a higher ceiling than the guys who constantly got torched in pass coverage last year, but won't have as high a floor against the run this year. I'm expecting improvement by subtraction at safety given how bad the starters were there the past 2 years. Veteran RJ Moten was brought in from Michigan, and the second spot will be filled by sophomore blue-chip recruit Kamari Wilson.

Schedule

8/31 - Utah (A) - Lean Utah. This would be Likely for Utah if not for the giant question mark that is Cam Rising's readiness for this game, and Utah always having to play their way into shape.
9/9 - McNeese (H) - Safe Florida.
9/16 - Tennessee (H) - Lean Tennessee. This game probably says more about what Tennessee is this season, and it'll be a great test for Florida's defense.
9/23 - Charlotte (H) - Safe Florida. Charlotte was one of the 10 worst programs in FBS last year, and their new HC Biff Poggi has spent a disturbing amount of time arguing with the 4 Charlotte fans that exist.
9/30 - Kentucky (A) - Toss-Up. Kentucky has become the nasty pothole you don't want to hit.
10/7 - Vanderbilt (H) - Lean Florida. I'd put this as Likely if not for Florida eating poo poo against Vanderbilt last year.
10/14 - South Carolina (A) - Toss-Up. I don't expect South Carolina to be as poor as they were last year, when Florida was able to run all over South Carolina's front 7 last year, and Spencer Rattler threw fewer touchdowns than their punter.
10/28 - Georgia (N) - Likely Georgia. The goal is to keep the scoring streak alive!
11/4 - Arkansas (H) - Toss-Up. I do feel better about Arkansas after learning that Dan Enos is back.
11/11 - LSU (A) - Likely LSU. I don't have enough faith that Florida will be able to do enough on offense to really be an upset threat in this game.
11/18 - Mizzou (A) - Toss-Up. A miserable game that's gonna kick off at 11 AM Central.
11/25 - FSU (H) - Lean FSU. I'm more optimistic about beating FSU than Georgia and LSU for two reasons: the game is in Gainesville, and Florida nearly beat FSU last year in Doak despite having a QB that couldn't a completion in the 2nd half.

Ceiling: 8-4. This is the hard cap for Florida. There's only so much noise Florida can make with this schedule, and Graham Mertz at QB.

Floor: 4-8. 2 of the last 3 Florida coaches have eaten a 4-8 season, and it's absolutely on the table with this schedule if the defense stays bad, and Florida can't run the ball.

Median: 6-6. The defense feels too young to really hide the flaws of the offense.

Billy Napier has opted for a slow build at Florida - the slowest build of all blue-bloods in the transfer portal era. Right now he has buy-in from the administration and boosters. Florida re-organized its NIL efforts, and for the 2024 class so far, Napier has taken advantage of this. Success this year will be defined more by keeping that recruiting class together and developing a core for 2024 more than any results this season, as long as Florida doesn't go out and faceplant.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
2023 Arkansas Razorbacks Woooooo Pig Sooie :razorback2::razorback:

09/02 - vs. Western Carolina. Here's your annual game Little Rock, sit down shut up and enjoy it. No reason the Hogs shouldn't roll vs. an overmatched FCS opponent.
09/09 - Kent State. Golden Flashes were surprisingly scrappy against Georgia last year, and lord knows Arky loves nothing more than playing down to someone's level and occasionally gifting them a program-defining win. This should be a convincing win, anything less and the alarm lights will be going off, and if Kent State comes in and wins this could be heading towards Chad Morris levels of ineptitude.
09/16 - BYU. Now a traditional Big 12/SEC matchup! Arky went to the Mormons last year and pounded out a 52-35 win. I'd like to say more of the same but I don't know if the Hogs are as good this year as they were last, and they weren't great last year. Gun to my head, BYU takes it, but I'm always negative when it comes to toss ups like this. I was hoping for some early odds to see what the smart guys in the desert are thinking on this but welp.
09/23 - @ LSU. Usually the LSU game comes towards the end of the year, not the start. I don't think Arky has a chance, LSU is a dark horse to win the conference if Alabama can't get their QB situation right. Probably will be a Death Valley At Night (c) situation since CBS will want Ole Miss/Bama.
09/30 - vs. Texas A&M (Jerryworld). Arky is the designated home team. Last year's game broke the team, specifically that near TD turned fumble that Aggie ran back for a TD of their own. Arky was never the same after that. A&M was a dumpster fire last year and it would have gotten any other coach shitcanned but not this coach and not with this contract. A&M shouldn't be as big a trainwreck but lord knows Jimbo Fisher teams can put out a real stinker when they want to. I'm going to go negative on this one too; the BYU-LSU-A&M stretch will probably be the make or break for the Hogs this year.
10/7 - @ Ole Miss. There will be scoring, but I don't think Arky has enough to win in Oxford. The one bright side is that Rebs will be coming off b2b weeks vs LSU/Bama and might be still licking their wounds.
10/14 - @ Alabama. Concluding a full month of games away from Fayetteville. Better hope that Bama still hasn't figured out it's QB. Most trips to Tuscaloosa don't go well for the Hogs but let's hope this isn't 52-0 bad like in previous years.
10/21 - Miss St. The one conference game I feel good about, mostly due to the passing of Mike Leach. Team's going to be in a transition state and getting them finally at home takes away some of their emotion. If they're going to win one conference game, it'll probably be this one.
10/28 - BYE
11/4 - @ Florida. Gator will most likely be as steady as a two-legged stool this season. Again, more optimistic at home but either side could be a complete mess by this point. Lean gata.
11/11 - Auburn. Rather get them early when they're still trying to figure themselves out. In theory it should be a win but if Arky's trending down and War Eagle is trending up, it could be the cap on a bad season. Let's be optimistic for once and say the home stand starts with a win.
11/18 - FIU. Cue the pissing and moaning about playing a cupcake non-con in late November, my apologies that no one from the ACC plays in-state. FIU wasn't good last year which means they'll probably be an 8-win team this time around licking their chops. If Arky's season is all but done at this point who knows what will happen, but I'm hoping this is a win.
11/24 - Missouri (Black Friday). Mizzou loves to come in and muck everything up. More than likely they'll be a 5 win team battling for bowl eligibility, or maybe they'll have six wins and are trying to go somewhere other than Shreveport. Again, I want to be optimistic, but the only way Arky wins this one is if they've already won 7-8 this year.

Ceiling: 9-3. I'd love to say 10-2, stealing one on the road from LSU/Bama/Lane, but that's unrealistic. If the Hogs win all their non-cons, don't get tripped up by Clanga/War Iggle/Mizzou, and win both toss-ups/shoot outs vs. Aggie/Gata, then maybe they're looking at early January in Florida.
Floor: 2-10. A conference 0-fer and either Kent State or FIU gets them. This gets Sam Pittman fired and the Hogs back to the drawing board.
Median: 7-5. Assume LSU/Bama/Lane are L's, assume WCU/Kent/FIU are bankable games. That leaves 5 conference games and BYU. Give Arky wins over BYU/Clanga/one of Auburn & Missouri to get to six wins, seven if they take both late home games. Winning vs Aggie/Gata would be great but not guarantees. Look forward to '24 and no divisions and not getting curb-stomped by Saban year after year.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Penn State

9/2 vs. WVU: W. sorry in advance for the start of the neal brown firing tour, or maybe you're welcome because if neal brown survives this, he won't survive if yall also lose to pitt in week 3. starting the year at home should hopefully be drew allar's coming out party, or else singleton/allen/potts just combine for 400+ yards rushing

9/9 vs. Delaware: W. I'm already really annoyed that i will have to go to bosscast or whatever to watch this piece of poo poo. only streaming on peacock and not on telecast anywhere??? suck my loving cock nbc

9/16 at Illinois: W. This should be a good opening road game litmus test for where Allar is at. I think Illinois takes a decent step back this year after losing Brown, DeVito, and their bad rear end DC.

9/23 vs. Iowa: W. White out game. Revenge game for the bullshit in 2021. James Franklin really hates these fuckers (like everyone else). This is going to be a loving bloodbath.

9/30 at Northwestern: W. JNW is in for uh, well, a pretty bad time this whole season.

10/7 Bye: PSU is one of the only schools to unequivocally draw a L on BYE so hopefully nothing bad happens here.

10/14 vs. Umass: W. Should be a 60+ point game. this OOC schedule is absolutely putrid barring wvu

10/21 at Ohio State: W. Even on the road, gently caress it, I'll call the shot here. Narrowly avoid the yearly 4th quarter collapse and beat OSU because I don't know anything about whoever will win their QB battle, other than they'd have to be stone cold awful to not make the most out of that skill position talent. Diaz's insane pressure defense stands up to the task while 2 could be all american corners hold down he back end.

10/28 vs. Indiana: W. Indiana is going to be really bad this year. Could be closer than expected let down game after OSU but should still be a 2 score game at minimum

11/4 at Maryland: W. Toughest game of the year to this point outside of OSU. I'm bullish on them and as long as their oline is better than last year and doesn't let Taulia get killed they could be as good as the 4th best team in the big 10. Which unfortunately would also put them 4th in the Big 10 east. Next year and the dissolution of divisions can't come soon enough. Will be a close one.

11/11 vs. Michigan : L. I hate to admit this but I think this is the most likely loss, even at home. It will be a loving big nooner piece of poo poo game so the environment won't be as harsh as usual. They're also the team still best equipped to beat PSU, even if the DLine and linebackers will overall be a lot better and deeper this year. This is the kind of team that Diaz seems to short circuit against. I hate these fuckers so bad

11/18 vs. Rutgers: W. Senior day. This will be really ugly.

11/24 at Michigan State: W. Technically at Ford Field on black friday, which is really loving weird scheduling. It isn't right to play for the LAND GRANT TROPHY when the game isn't being held on a LAND GRANT CAMPUS. Mel Tucker's got problems (but 100 million dollars aint one)

I'm feeling bullish this year. 11-1 is a happy medium pick. If Allar is as advertised there's a legit chance at undefeated. The oline, running game, tight ends, and defense are all loving excellent. Really the biggest question mark at this point is the WRs and they have some young guys who flashed at the end of the year and some transfers but no bonafide obvious #1 as of right now. There's no better RB duo in the country. Worst case scenario i think is still only 10-2. Other loss coming to OSU probably, or maybe a bad misstep at Illinois or Maryland and stealing one of OSU/Michigan in return. I feel like I am just setting myself up for disappointment, but this should be a NY6 team again at the very least. A lot of people think 2024 is the team's best shot at the first title in my lifetime but this year feels sneaky possible. A lot really just rests on Allar, who looked good when he saw the field as a true freshman and has been looking good in camp apparently.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
11/11/23 Oregon is gonna give USC a swirly at Autzen stadium.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State Cyclones

I wouldn't bet on the Cyclones being all that good this year. Why? Because 4 starters are likely suspended or are going to be kicked off the team shortly for gambling on college games. One of those is Hunter Dekkers who was the starting QB last year. I think he had some competition for the starting job this year, but losing your starting QB a month before the season start never helps.

Last year, the Cyclones regressed hard after losing a ton of important starters. Before the gambling accusations came out, I was hoping for a little bit of a bounce back, but I think this year is going to be similar to last year. 2022 saw ISU lose 5 games by less than a TD, even a small improvement probably bumps them up to bowl eligibility. Hey, we also have some new people in the Big 12 this year. Well let's see how I think they'll do.

Sat, Sep 2 vs Northern Iowa - W - Should still win this one. I don't know if UNI is any good, but a loss here and might as well give up before we even get started.
Sat, Sep 9 vs Iowa - W - I don't actually think ISU will win, but I have to at least predict a W here. Campbell finally got the Iowa monkey off his back, so maybe he's figured out how to beat the Hawkeyes.
Sat, Sep 16 @ Ohio - W - ISU is still poor enough that we have to travel to MAC schools. Ohio was pretty good last year, so this might be a really tough game, but I'll hold out hope ISU can sneak out a win.
Sat, Sep 23 vs Oklahoma State - L - Big 12 season starts with a bang. I expect ISU to get clobbered. Okie State has had our number lately, and I don't expect that to change.
Sat, Sep 30 @ Oklahoma - L - Unless OU started really sucking when I wasn't looking, ISU won't stand a chance.
Sat, Oct 7 vs TCU - L - Maybe ISU will find a Big 12 team they can beat eventually this year.
Sat, Oct 14 @ Cincinnati - W - Maybe Cincinnati will suck now that Fickell is gone. It's our only hope.
Sat, Oct 28 @ Baylor - L - Sigh, another loss.
Sat, Nov 4 vs Kansas - W - ISU lost this one last year thanks to 3 missed field goals. It was an ugly 14-11 loss. I expect ISU doesn't blow their chance this year.
Sat, Nov 11 @ BYU - L - I'm not sure if ISU has ever played in Provo. Either way, I don't think they'll get a win.
Sat, Nov 18 vs Texas - W - gently caress it, it's Texas's last year, and they get to come up and hopefully play a game in the cold. ISU lost by 3 in Texas last year, this year I hope they sneak one out and send Texas packing to the SEC where they can get embarrassed for years to come.
Sat, Nov 25 @Kansas State - L - While I'd love for ISU to win Farmageddon to close out the season, I don't see this one happening.

Final prediction - 6-6
A couple of miracles and ISU gets to go bowling again, but just barely. Maybe this gambling thing will get them to turn around faster, some addition by subtraction. That or the Clones will suck super bad and end the season with 3 wins.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
My much briefer take on the state of the 2023 Virginia Tech Fightin' Gobblers:

9/2 vs ODU: 85/15 Hokies, ODU has lost a decent amount of talent, including their best player transferring to VT in the offseason. Expect an improved Tech defense to control the tempo of the game from the start.
9/9 @ Purdue: 60/40 Hokies, could see this going either way, but think at this point VT has more talent on both sides of the ball. Could very well be wrong.
9/16 @ Rutgers: 60/40 VT due to Rutgers having little to no offensive talent, but this could absolutely be a horrific slog of a game that fans from neither team will really want to watch.
9/23 @ Marshall: 75/25 Hokies, Marshall lost a lot of their talent especially on the offensive side of the ball, don't expect them to put up much in the way of points.
9/30 vs Pitt: 30/70, fully expect VT to lose this one just due to history. Don't think they're hugely more talented than us anymore, but it's just the way things have been for a while.
10/7 @ FSU: 15/85, don't expect to be particularly competitive here, and will consider just keeping it relatively competitive to be a significant win if it happens.
10/14 vs 70/30 over Wake Forest: Wake lost a lot of their Sr talent, it seems like they're in for a rebuilding year, but their coaching is always solid, so could be closer than expected.
10/26 vs Syracuse: 70/30 over Syracuse, full expect to win this one at home given the amount of talent Cuse has lost too, and since this game is in Lane.
11/4 @ Louisville: 40/60, it feels like Louisville just has better talent than we do at this point, and the game being @ Louisville makes it much more winnable for the Cardinals.
11/11 @ Boston College: 70/30 we dominated BC last year with a bad team and they lost their most talented players. However, it being @ that awful dead stadium up north could very well play into BC's hands, as our talent level definitely isn't what it has been in the past.
11/18 vs NC State: 40/60, honestly not totally sure what NC State has coming back from last year's team, but I think they're doing better as a program in general right now, so not expecting a win here. Being a home game shifts the odds more in our favor, but I still think State wins.
11/25 @ UVA: 80/20 for the good guys. UVA is terrible and doesn't seem to have many potential avenues for improvement over the offseason. Will continue the trend of Scott Stadium secretly just being Lane Stadium North.

Floor: 4-8; I could see us playing sloppily at certain positions, especially OL and QB, and having that bite us in the rear end. We were awful at snapping the ball without a false start last year, and first year OL Coach Ron Crook needs to correct that ASAP to have any chance of establishing an offensive rhythm. Unit may still be too young and untalented to perform well. QB likely relies on the OL improving at least somewhat, but we'll see how it goes.
Ceiling: 9-3, with losses to the better teams on the calendar, likely FSU and 2 of 3 out of Pitt, Louisville, State. Relies on stealing a game from one of those four though.
Expected: 6-6, with a win over one of Pitt, Louisville, State, FSU, and a head-scratching loss or two to teams that I expect us to beaat. BC/Cuse/Wake/Marshall seem most likely for this category.

Mostly just hoping to see some performance improvement across the board, think both the offense and the defense should be marginally better than last year, but how much improvement both the OL and DL show will likely be the key to any kind of success this year. Hoping for a bowl game, but we'll see.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Texas State Bobcats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2023 Georgia Bulldogs

Last season: :smuggo:

It was a reasonable take that '22 UGA would be a playoff tweener and take a step back from the year before. I had them going 11-1, losing to Bama in the SECCG, and wrapping up the Stetson Era with a NY6 win. Instead, the Dawgs were — according to the NERD numbers — one of the greatest teams of the playoff era. Pretty much them or '19 LSU (defense crappy for much of the year) or '20 Bama (YMMV about how seriously we take football during The Bad Time). UGA had a few-week period of meh football around early October but otherwise trucked everyone in the regular season, then won the game of the year in the national semis, then issued forth one of the most decisive rear end-kickings in the history of college football in the natty. It's a great time to be a fan of the on-field product.

The off-field product, well. You know.

This season:

The cops dragged Stetson from the dorms kicking and screaming and tossed him through the Arch, so the keys are finally handed over to notable weird looking guy Carson Beck. Beck has a better arm than Stetson but worse wheels, but my real concern here is that he doesn't appear to be the motherfucker that Stet was. Bennett being a motherfucker was a huge part of what made that UGA offense tick. Perhaps more importantly, greatest OC in school history Todd Monken left for the NFL, but it's OK because Kirby hired (checks notes) oh ffs. I think I'll stay off the UGA boards this year. Look, Bobo's...fine...but his heyday was forever ago and he had a bad knack for inflicting "balance" instead of just punishing the other defense's weakness the way Monken did. Dawgs added two solid WRs in the transfer portal, Brock Bowers is still around, the RB rotation will be solid even if Kendall Milton can't ever stay healthy...UGA should move the ball.

On defense, UGA lost a ton of guys to the League again but the recruiting depth is so good here you can't worry about it too much. DL will probably go from being otherworldly elite to just elite, but Georgia still churns out velociraptors here. Mykel Williams is the star to look for. Georgia's secondary is loaded and maybe will help the Dawgs avoid the annual Georgia Gives Up A Shitload Of Points Game.

The games:

Look, UGA's schedule is rear end. It's terrible. Dawgs had to switch out the OU game and landed on the UT-Martin Skyhawks. Not that they would've lost to the Sooners but: oof. There's just not a lot to talk about here:

UT-Martin
Ball State
South Carolina
UAB
@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Vanderbilt
WLOCP
Missouri
Ole Miss
@ Tennessee
@ Georgia Tech

Best case: Three-peat. UGA can absolutely run that table and from there, onwards.
Worst case: Nap-time upset loss + loss to UT puts the East in jeopardy and the Dawgs miss out on the SECCG and head to a NY6 bowl.
Likely case: "The likely case is a national championship" is a hot take but that schedule should make a lot of good things happen. UGA has a better chance than anyone to win it all this season.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

D.N. Nation posted:

Look, UGA's schedule is rear end. It's terrible. Dawgs had to switch out the OU game and landed on the UT-Martin Skyhawks. Not that they would've lost to the Sooners but: oof. There's just not a lot to talk about here:

UT-Martin
Ball State
South Carolina
UAB
@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Vanderbilt
WLOCP
Missouri
Ole Miss
@ Tennessee
@ Georgia Tech

Likely case: "The likely case is a national championship" is a hot take but that schedule should make a lot of good things happen. UGA has a better chance than anyone to win it all this season.

That is one hot garbage schedule for a repeat national champ. At this point Georgia gets to say their likely case is a national championship until someone dethrones them and they stop sending a 22 deep to the NFL every year.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah, when your worst POSSIBLE season is a 9-3, away upsets to Tennessee and Ole Miss + one new QB pisses away the one Georgia Gives Up Points, you’re sitting pretty.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Honestly, Houston's going to bumble through their first year in the Big 12, win like four games, and it doesn't matter. This year is about celebrating getting out of the cold, being back amongst in-state rivals, and the Texas grudge match. Beat Texas, and we'll all deal with next year next year.

UH is not beating Texas.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Honestly, Houston's going to bumble through their first year in the Big 12, win like four games, and it doesn't matter. This year is about celebrating getting out of the cold, being back amongst in-state rivals, and the Texas grudge match. Beat Texas, and we'll all deal with next year next year.

UH is not beating Texas.

But Texas might certainly beat Texas.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'll say 8-4 for the 2023 Texas Aggies, which should be enough that there's no real steam to buy out Jimbo this year, but won't make anybody especially happy or optimistic for the future, either. Other thoughts:

-Based on the shear amount of talent, the defensive line should be a terror this year, so that's fun.
-I'll go against the media narrative and predict that the Petrino-Jimbo collaboration is neither a stunning success nor a debacle, but that the offense rather ends up steady-but-unspectacular, reminiscent of the Kellen Mond led 2020 squad.
-A few of the highest-profile freshman transfers out from last year (Chris Marshall, Smoke Bouie) have already gotten the boot at Ole Miss and Georgia, respectively, so maybe there’s some hope that the biggest shitheads (other than the coaches) are gone and the locker room is a bit less toxic this year.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 23, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
2023 Colorado Buffaloes 2-10, only wins are at the expense of my beloved Cougs and Beavers.

However rakes and banana peels appear mysteriously and consistently on the Colorado sidelines, and in the locker room. Deion Sanders steps on every one of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Final Pac-12 year Oregon Ducks

The last hurrah for the Pac-12. It should be a fun year in theory, with a lot of offense across the conference, and the Ducks are no exception, returning a lot of a top 10 offense last year.

Open questions:
  • Can the offensive line repeat (no, 2.2% sack rate is not gonna happen again), or at least be pretty good? It's entirely turned over and there are some theoretically good dudes including transfer Ajani Cornelius at tackle.
  • Can Bo Nix keep being chill Bo and not doing stupid poo poo? Keeping Nix upright and not getting him hurt will be really important.
  • Will the defense be competent? Last year's defense had some dudes on paper but was lousy at getting stops and awful against the run. The defense needs to improve significantly to give this team a chance against high powered offenses UW, USC and teams that can run the ball effectively like Utah and OSU.
  • Can the transfers perform, particularly new wide receivers and linebackers? The offense should function pretty well - Oregon generally has a run-first identity despite a reputation for high-octane offense, but it's got to be more than the Troy Franklin show at WR.
  • New OC Will Stein did great things at UTSA; can he replace Kenny Dillingham seamlessly? There's a fair amount of expectation of innovation. I think Stein is a great hire but we're about to find out.

Games:
Week 1 vs Portland State - Tune up game. Win
Week 2 @ Texas Tech - I'm not sure Texas Tech has the dudes, but this should be a good road test early. Plenty of good teams have gone to Lubbock and lost. Win, but it will be close.
Week 3 vs Hawaii - Tune up game. These guys lost to Vandy. Yikes. Win
Week 4 vs Colorado - Coach Prime has a lot more rebuilding to do from here. Colorado will be lively compared to last year but it should be a straighforward first conference win at home. I expect some fun press conference antics from Deion. Win
Week 5 @ Stanford - Stanford is a shadow of itself so even though I think of this as a trap game I don't think Stanford has the juice to pull off the upset. Win
~Bye~
Week 6 @ Washington - Circle this one for rivalry reasons and also for offense. I suspect the Huskies will be too much for the Ducks at home, but this one could go either way and will have huge Pac-12 title implications. Last year's matchup was a great one and kind of decided on a Bo Nix injury. Coming out of the bye could help. Loss
Week 7 vs Wazzu - The cougs played tough last year and return a pretty good team. Ducks take it with home-field advantage. Win
Week 8 @ Utah - Utah is always tough, Rising should be back to his usual irritating self, and unless the run defense has taken incredible strides forward this is going to be a second Loss
Week 9 vs Cal - Some risk that the team looks ahead too much to week 10 but this is gonna be a Win
Week 10 vs USC - track meet. Home field helps and USC's defense continues to be exposed as trash. Win
Week 11 @ ASU - this could very well be the classic "road trip to Arizona late in the year resulting in pain and misery" but let's be optimistic and say that the ducks Win
Week 12 vs OSU - the Beavers have been getting a lot of preseason hype, which I think will set them up for disaster. Being at home will help - OSU hasn't won on the road since 2007, and before that 1993. We take the last in-conference Civil War - what are they even calling it now? Win

So if I add up the Ws that's 10 wins, which seems a bit optimistic considering that they play the three best teams in the conference. I think at the low end the Beavers are spicy and USC's offense is too much to handle, which would give eight wins. I have a tough time seeing the team doing worse than that. On the high end - both Washington and Utah are beatable and a spot in the CFP is in reach. I'm not real sure that the Ducks can beat another one of the high end title contenders twice.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 1, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Failson posted:

2023 Colorado Buffaloes 2-10, only wins are at the expense of my beloved Cougs and Beavers.

However rakes and banana peels appear mysteriously and consistently on the Colorado sidelines, and in the locker room. Deion Sanders steps on every one of them.

I am very interested to see what happens to the Buffs this year. If Deion succeeds, you’re going to see a lot of copy cats in the future, which honestly kind of sucks. Telling like 90% of the team to transfer out just feels really lovely.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am very interested to see what happens to the Buffs this year. If Deion succeeds, you’re going to see a lot of copy cats in the future, which honestly kind of sucks. Telling like 90% of the team to transfer out just feels really lovely.

The only difference between what Dion did and what other new chaoces do is that Dion was on camera. Not saying it's good or fine, just that it's already pretty standard. Though the magnitude of what went down at Colorado is impressive.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Bird in a Blender posted:

If they win more than 4 games it'll be a miracle. Come back and check if he sticks around there for a third year.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
University of Wisconsin Badgers
Man, make a bowl and everything else is cool by me. Coach gets fired for the first time in like 33 years for good reasons, and we’re doing a brand new offense. There’s cool parts to the team, we might win the Big 10 West because someone has to and Iowa’s really the only other option.
Absolute, unquestioned losses: Ohio State
Rivalry games that are definitely important and actually questionable: Iowa, at Minnesota
OK, they beat us at home last year and now we have to go there but last year was weird: at Washington State, at Illinois
Purdue: Purdue
Functionally Purdue: Indiana, Nebraska
Functional byes: Northwestern, Georgia State, Buffalo, Rutgers

SMU’s Tanner Mordecai is our QB, Braelon Allen’s still the RB with Chez Melusi backing him up. Hopefully there’s a pass rush!

I’m just excited to see my tailgate friends again.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
2023 Illini are gonna go 10-2 (early loss to Penn State, then someone else) and win the big ten west on tiebreakers with Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Theyre long overdue for a fluke season like they had in 01 and 07.

Then they are going to win the big ten title game against Penn State in 10 overtimes

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 31, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

honestly, the ncaa should just give northwestern the death penalty and get it over with rather than whatever the gently caress they are going to do this season

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
YOUR 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Minnesota - L
Colorado - L
N. Illinois - W
Louisiana Tech - W
Michigan - LLLLLLLLL
Illinois - L
Northwestern - W
Purdue - W
Michigan St. - L
Maryland - W
Wisconsin - L
Iowa - L

Five wins. Colorado, Illinois, and Iowa are possible wins but I'll believe it when I see it. I think Rhule is a good coach and Nebraska will at least be a reliable six win team in a couple years, but this is not our year.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

trevorreznik posted:

2023 Illini are gonna go 10-2 (early loss to Penn State, then someone else) and win the big ten west on tiebreakers with Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Theyre long overdue for a fluke season like they had in 01 and 07.

Then they are going to win the big ten title game against Penn State in 10 overtimes

Last year was their fluke season :smug:

Honestly I don't know what to think of Illinois this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Final Pac-12 year Oregon Ducks

So if I add up the Ws that's 10 wins, which seems a bit optimistic considering that they play the three best teams in the conference. I think at the low end the Beavers are spicy and USC's offense is too much to handle, which would give eight wins. I have a tough time seeing the team doing worse than that. On the high end - both Washington and Utah are beatable and a spot in the CFP is in reach. I'm not real sure that the Ducks can beat another one of the high end title contenders twice.

I'm with you on all of that in general. Would have to be a Helfrich-ian collapse to get fewer than 8 wins, could see 9, 10 or 11 depending on where we decide to trip up and how good other teams turn out to be. USC and Washington are both going to be tough (I hope we pull out the Stormtrooper look again at Husky Stadium), on the road at Utah is going to suck, and Oregon State is too drat feisty for my liking.

I really hope this isn't the last Platypus Cup, but it is the last season of normalcy (until the superconferences collapse in ~10 years and people realize That Was Stupid and rationalize things back out and we go back to the Pac-8 somehow again). However it goes, I'm going to keep cackling at the Pac-12 conference ads and mourn the loss of the bedrock of my fandom for the sport.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Iowa:

Sept. 2 vs. Utah State: W
Sept. 9 at Iowa State: W
Sept. 16 vs. Western Michigan: W
Sept. 23 at Penn State: L
Sept. 30 vs. Michigan State: L
Oct. 7 vs. Purdue: W
Oct. 14 at Wisconsin: W
Oct. 21 vs. Minnesota: W
Nov. 4 vs. Northwestern: W
Nov. 11 vs. Rutgers: W
Nov. 18 vs. Illinois: W
Nov. 24 at Nebraska: W

Iowa struggles to start the year, with the only meaningful win being El Assico, but then the retooled offense hits its stride and wins out after two losses to close out September. They make the B10 Championship Game only to serve as a boost in Playoff Ranking for their opponent by losing a not-that-close close game against Michigan or Ohio State.

They'll finish out the year with a bowl game in Florida or Tennesee with a fun win that the coaches turn into a shoot-out to lock in the 25 points per game contract milestone for Brian Ferentz.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Failson posted:

I have good news about Colorado and bad news about the accuracy of this prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Floor: 2-10. A conference 0-fer and either Kent State or FIU gets them. This gets Sam Pittman fired and the Hogs back to the drawing board.

I would like to say not only is this very much still in play but is most likely the expected outcome.