Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

and if you are trolling: i do not take kindly to people who take the Faerûn lightly

be aware, "jester"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

matti posted:

there had been 11 drizzt books (1990-) before BG1 was released

they were a popular character

still is popular judging from Salvatore continuing to write more drizzt stuff and making a ton of money for it

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Getting Drizzt in your party in BG is just game breaking. Like with speedruns where you go straight there from Gorion's keep it's a cakewalk after that, especially since main character mages don't have an easy time with just Imoen.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i think on my first full playthrough (co-op) we just murdered him and took his stuff

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Did you make a new account after this embarrassment, OP? There's no record of it on your rap sheet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Did you make a new account after this embarrassment, OP? There's no record of it on your rap sheet.

blimey

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Their record's as clean as an elven arse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SPOILER ALERT: baldur is the name of the goatse man and you can probably guess what the gate is

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DicktheCat posted:

I was like "yeah, but why can't I click them to death? Dice? Wtf, this is a computer game, gently caress your dice rolls."

Let me tell you about THAC0...

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Alpenglow posted:

Their record's as clean as an elven arse.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

add another revealed alt account to the 8/11/23 pile

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Boo is just a regular goddamn hamster.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

MrQwerty posted:

Drizzt was a popular character way before BG

Hell yeah he was

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

One day there will be a truth and reconciliation committee that finally dogs into all the mod injustices I. This sites long history and the tribunal will review your case and it will be entered into the record along with your personal victim impact statement. Future generations of lawmakers will study it in school and it will be used as an example for what the consequences of rampant, unchecked power really are.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The Bramble posted:

committee that finally dogs into all the mod injustices

of course you would say that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i didn't play baldur's gate until many years after it had come out, and some of the most-recommended mods were basically

A) A LOT of additional sexy dialog for all of your companions
B) Sexy dialog with various in-game NPCs
C) More NPCs with even more sexy dialog, like dozens and dozens of NPCs that exist solely to get "hosed" via dialog trees

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

if you romanced the lady npcs you got a baby (item) to carry around in your inventory for the rest of the game lmao

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gay dudes gate

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

baldur's gape

e: i searched for this and someone already beat me to it :argh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genesplicer posted:

I like how he really Baldured that Gate. Really summed up the game for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I moened when I read this thread.

Well I didn't but it's a stupid joke.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Buce posted:

if you romanced the lady npcs you got a baby (item) to carry around in your inventory for the rest of the game lmao

This is a Baldur’s Gate 2 spoiler and does not belong in this thread. Be thankful that the mods have not spotted this filth or you could suffer the same punishment that the OP did all those years ago.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Still stewing about a probe some 20 years later

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

one of the maps (halfway between the town with the big inn and the place with the mine, left from the road, on the coast, one map over) has an enchanted woman who kills one one your party member if you pick the wrong dialogue option

i am pissy about it because they programmed it wrong and no matter if you approach her in stealth, as soon you reveal her in LOS, she tracks to you.

i had played without reloading to that point but that terrible encounter made me reload a save.

If you are talking about what I think you're talking about, it's a mini-quest. You're supposed to let her kill someone, beat her up a little, and she will surrender, and offers to resurrect your dead party member. Now it's still annoying because the dead person will drop all their gear and resurrect with just one HP, so you let Dynaheir kiss her or whatever. After that, an ogre mage shows up, and you can kill him and her, and she's worth something ridiculous like 5000 XP.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

death isn't an end in these games and you shouldn't treat it as one
until you get a high enough leveled cleric just make trips to the nearest temple

yes you have to carry their gear and yes that is annoying.

also lol @ the implication that death is effectively a solved issue in this universe... for the rich*.

*for video game mechanics purposes

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Rappaport posted:

If you are talking about what I think you're talking about, it's a mini-quest. You're supposed to let her kill someone, beat her up a little, and she will surrender, and offers to resurrect your dead party member. Now it's still annoying because the dead person will drop all their gear and resurrect with just one HP, so you let Dynaheir kiss her or whatever. After that, an ogre mage shows up, and you can kill him and her, and she's worth something ridiculous like 5000 XP.

cool!

it would be a cool event if the scripting was not broken...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

cool!

it would be a cool event if the scripting was not broken...

I don't understand what you mean by it being broken. You can pick which character talks to her. Of course killing her requires abusing the mechanics a little, but it's not like killing Drizzt is discouraged either if you figure out how.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

just go pay a cleric to raise the dead person!!111

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I love how the game keeps spawning gangs of kobold archers every ten feet

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Rappaport posted:

I don't understand what you mean by it being broken. You can pick which character talks to her. Of course killing her requires abusing the mechanics a little, but it's not like killing Drizzt is discouraged either if you figure out how.

they may have fixed it in the EE? i have only played the original from discs

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

they may have fixed it in the EE? i have only played the original from discs

Are we talking about the same thing? The entire point of that encounter is that she kills one person, and then undoes it. What is the broken part here? It's the same as it's been since the 90's.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I've got a spoiler for you: In Baldur's Gate, you play the main character

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Rappaport posted:

Are we talking about the same thing? The entire point of that encounter is that she kills one person, and then undoes it. What is the broken part here? It's the same as it's been since the 90's.

if you approach her with Hide in Shadows on, it's ignored, and she immediately paths to you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

if you approach her with Hide in Shadows on, it's ignored, and she immediately paths to you.

:psyduck: The game has enemies that legitimately see through invisibility.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

so you are saying it sucks rear end on purpose?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

I guess? I honestly don't know enough 2nd ed lore to know if her creature type is supposed to have this ability or not, so I guess it can feel unfair that you can't do whatever it was you thought you were doing by hiding in shadows, but for ~~~min-maxing~~~ that encounter you want her to talk with you, it's the ogre mage you want to merk for his loot anyway.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

How are your bowels OP? I hope you're making GBS threads more than once a week now.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

matti posted:

It is starting to seem that you suck rear end on purpose

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

It is starting to seem that you suck rear end on purpose

sorry if I am being obtuse, it's not on purpose. but I really think it's a bug and not something done on purpose.

matti fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it sucks that if you talk to her with your main character then too bad, game over before she can resurrect you

but that's because if you die and get resurrected then you can't be the last-one-standing to inherit the pantheon of murder any more, so the whole story's kinda over regardless