Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

covidstomper58 posted:

My uncle worked for Bioware and you could get Drizzt in your party if you rolled a female Drow Lawful Evil Chaos Mage.

It seems weird to me that I've gamed with dozens or maybe over 100 Drizzt's and it's all a reference to this random NPC encounter from Baldur's Gate.

Drizzt was a playable character in Menzoberranzan way before Baldur's Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

SRQ posted:

death isn't an end in these games and you shouldn't treat it as one
until you get a high enough leveled cleric just make trips to the nearest temple

yes you have to carry their gear and yes that is annoying.

also lol @ the implication that death is effectively a solved issue in this universe... for the rich*.

*for video game mechanics purposes

It's not really. According to AD&D rules, you still have to make resurrection survival rolls, and you lose a point of constitution permanently if you come back to life. In addition, there are ways to kill someone or take them out of action effectively permanently that can't easily be sorted out. In addition, the soul has to be willing to come back to life (which may not be the case if they prefer to remain in the afterlife) and shouldn't be trapped somewhere, in which case raising the dead won't work.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

sorry if I am being obtuse, it's not on purpose. but I really think it's a bug and not something done on purpose.

OK, if this is an elaborate troll, then consider me owned. This is from the EE version, I don't have easy access to the original CD installation right now and I'm not about to dig out an old PC out of mothballs to test your fever dream. But.

Assuming this is the encounter we are talking about, here is a character in "hide in shadows" mode, you can see the little icon out-lined in red there, and the character sprite being translucent. She is not trying to talk to the character.

Here is a party of people, not in stealth mode, standing next to the nereid. She does not initiate conversation. I can just point anyone I want at her, as I suggested in a previous post. Just walking up to her, in stealth or not, does not initiate dialogue, the player gets to choose who kisses her.

If you are talking about a different encounter, then we've been cross-purposes all along and I'm sorry.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i really did not think my very specific frustration about Baldur's Gate 1 would garner this much attention, but

i'll try dig up the old laptop i then played it on

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rappaport posted:

OK, if this is an elaborate troll, then consider me owned. This is from the EE version, I don't have easy access to the original CD installation right now and I'm not about to dig out an old PC out of mothballs to test your fever dream. But.

Assuming this is the encounter we are talking about, here is a character in "hide in shadows" mode, you can see the little icon out-lined in red there, and the character sprite being translucent. She is not trying to talk to the character.

Here is a party of people, not in stealth mode, standing next to the nereid. She does not initiate conversation. I can just point anyone I want at her, as I suggested in a previous post. Just walking up to her, in stealth or not, does not initiate dialogue, the player gets to choose who kisses her.

If you are talking about a different encounter, then we've been cross-purposes all along and I'm sorry.

I appreciate this post

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

i really did not think my very specific frustration about Baldur's Gate 1 would garner this much attention, but

i'll try dig up the old laptop i then played it on

GBS is a community, we're here to heal your 20-year-running trauma :unsmith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

Hang on, in BG1 wasn't Imoen always considered your little sister? She and the main character grew up together in Candlekeep, right? Or was it more like best friends?
No you were really close friends.

Her adopted dad was the fat inn keeper instead of the scrub wizard who doesn't even have 3 wands of paralysis on his quickbar to just ruin any single class fighter's day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Real Imoen spoiler: in wilderness AR5500 there is a small loot able crack where you can find the lost G from her name.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why is Drizzt's hair so fabulous

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nerds

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I made up a fake spoiler for a famous series that had a new book drop unexpectedly. Turns out it happened to be accurate and for weeks an FB group was convinced I was close friends with the author.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Is it just Drizzt or is the whole Icewind Dale crew present? I’m talking Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, even that little twerp Regis. I bet if you kill Regis he drops hella loot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Is it just Drizzt or is the whole Icewind Dale crew present? I’m talking Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, even that little twerp Regis. I bet if you kill Regis he drops hella loot.

Spoilers for Baldur's Gate 2 (which are not the thread topic!!! :ohdear:) You meet them all and can kill them, but there's a hard-coded invincible dude who takes their loot away from you no matter what

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Spoilers for Baldur's Gate 2 (which are not the thread topic!!! :ohdear:) You meet them all and can kill them, but there's a hard-coded invincible dude who takes their loot away from you no matter what

Reported for spoilers

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rappaport posted:

Well that’s dumb.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I played through baldurs gate 1+2 and throne of baal and what I remember most was how to fight enemy wizards and dragons in 2E DnD.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rags to Liches posted:

still is popular judging from Salvatore continuing to write more drizzt stuff and making a ton of money for it

I liked when he was hired by baseball’s Curt Schilling to create a fictional universe with 10,000 years of history for a new MMO meant to rival World of Warcraft but the project collapsed and cost Rhode Island millions & Curt had to sell his bloody sock.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

well

i regret to say this

but

i was wrong

matti
Mar 31, 2019

it was fun though, firing up the ol' BG1 again, no regrets

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Spoiler: in Baldur’s Gate 1 you can’t sleep with any of your party members.

You start as a level 1 virgin and end the game as a level 7 virgin with a magic weapon.

In Candlekeep, Fuller asks you to bring him 20 crossbow bolts. If you have 18 Charisma, he will reward you an unidentified +1 dagger. You can then proceed to Nashkel as per normal, then head to the coordinates 183, 2745, and dig up some Ankheg Plate Mail. Now youre more than all set to take on the Vampiric Wolf outside the Temple at Beregost! From there, you can procure a Potion of Mirror Eyes from Thalantyr at High Hedge, kill the Basilisks at Mutamen's Garden with the help of your temporary ghoul ally Korax, and :words:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

satanic splash-back posted:

I played through baldurs gate 1+2 and throne of baal and what I remember most was how to fight enemy wizards and dragons in 2E DnD.

I did the same but could NEVER beat the very last boss in ToB. I still have the game on my laptop, and still cant do it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

matti posted:

it was fun though, firing up the ol' BG1 again, no regrets

:hfive:

The clock in the OG BG1 interface is wonderful. And the sound track, which is at least the same in the EE, is also great.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My buddy and I were huge nerds back in the day and R.A. Salvatore used to do regular book signings at the local Waldenbooks because he lived nearby and we met him a bunch of times. One time there wasn’t really anyone else there so we hung around and chatted with him for a bit. Anyway the conversation ended on a weird note because my friend insisted that the new Drizzt book was coming out in November and Bob was like “Look, I think I know when my own drat book is coming out.”

Anyway a few weeks later I saw him and his family walking around that same mall and he gave me a “‘sup” nod as he walked by. Welp that’s my R.A. Salvatore story, hope you enjoyed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

You gonna tell us or just leave us hanging

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

my friend insisted that the new Drizzt book was coming out in November and Bob was like “Look, I think I know when my own drat book is coming out.”

lmao

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Smugworth posted:

Breach.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Smugworth posted:

You just have to find their master.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zedprime posted:

Real Imoen spoiler: in wilderness AR5500 there is a small loot able crack where you can find the lost G from her name.

Heya, I'm Gimoen

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Trying to remember was it in Icewind Dale 2 that it let you have excessively low stats? I recall trying to have a wizard with maximum possible INT & like one in CON with the idea he’d be unstoppable but his hp of 2 meant goblins with wooden spoons could one shot him in the opening tavern.

Also in BG1 late in the game you could recruit a bard but I had no room so told him to wait at the bottom of a mineshaft, then soon after in the story the mine floods with no way to re-enter so my characters just walked away hoping he wasn’t plot essential.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Trying to remember was it in Icewind Dale 2 that it let you have excessively low stats? I recall trying to have a wizard with maximum possible INT & like one in CON with the idea he’d be unstoppable but his hp of 2 meant goblins with wooden spoons could one shot him in the opening tavern.

Also in BG1 late in the game you could recruit a bard but I had no room so told him to wait at the bottom of a mineshaft, then soon after in the story the mine floods with no way to re-enter so my characters just walked away hoping he wasn’t plot essential.

I think the first question, the answer was IWD2.

The second question: That was Yeslick, a dwarven fighter/cleric you meet in the cloakwood mines. Notable as being the one companion dumber than Minsc with intelligence 7.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i beat the final boss in bg1 once by using all the summoning wands i had hoarded. pretty lovely that bg2 put a limit on that

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nosfereefer posted:

i beat the final boss in bg1 once by using all the summoning wands i had hoarded. pretty lovely that bg2 put a limit on that

Nice! I beat him by giving five party members bows and having one member get his attention then run in a circle as he was made into a pin cushion. I was surprised it worked so well.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Remember that time audible paid Ice T to read a Drizzt story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszM1WPwOWg

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved the voice that used to go "A waste of my talents!" Super funny, I still say it sometimes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

was it baldurs gate that had the voice that would say "heh, toime for a bit o' rough and tumble" on entering a fight, or was that neverwinter nights

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Caesar Saladin posted:

I loved the voice that used to go "A waste of my talents!" Super funny, I still say it sometimes.

"Armored, sharpened and raring to go!"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

was it baldurs gate that had the voice that would say "heh, toime for a bit o' rough and tumble" on entering a fight, or was that neverwinter nights

Yes, Baldur's Gate.

Other hits: "So I kicked 'im in the 'ead 'til 'e was dead, nyahahaha!" "You mess with me, you mess with... YOU!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Anyone else go after dragons way too early and cowardly try to get them with cloud kill wands? It sometimes worked on the 20th try.

Also remember in BG2 there was a back room of a tavern with a high level lich that wasn’t a danger unless you chose to bother him, and he had super dangerous spells that could TPK fast. Except it took a few seconds for each spell to cast & if you left the room then re-entered the spell would be cancelled but he couldn’t cast it again, repeat until he’s out of spells & can be beaten to death for quality loot. What a fun game.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Was that the one that would wake up if you happened to have the right combination of gems in your bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Both of those memories are fuzzy, I'm afraid. There's a lich in the back room of the inn at the city gates map, he will always aggro you when you walk in there, and he's guarding a sword that is good against undead and evil creatures. You are right that walking in and out of the room makes his spells worthless, and this is a thing you can abuse with mages in general.

The gem thing is for a hidden area in the bridge district, which only eats up one specific gem.