Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's actually very exciting to wander through 10,000 identical wilderness maps populated by nothing but trash mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hour 3563: still stuck in Cloakwood, can't leave because a web spell cast by a random spider five days ago hasn't worn off yet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

steinrokkan posted:

It's actually very exciting to wander through 10,000 identical wilderness maps populated by nothing but trash mobs

This is true, it's a big reason why the only good parts of BG1 are the very spare dungeons it has on the map, the main quest related content, and Durlag's Tower which is pretty much better than the entirety of the rest of the game since it's a dungeon that has PnP inspired tricks and traps and riddles/puzzles and isn't just a maze with enemies sprinkled around. BG1's wilderness areas are 90s relics because back then uncovering the fog of war and discovering NPCs and new enemies was legit exciting exploration. Not so much anymore.

steinrokkan posted:

Hour 3563: still stuck in Cloakwood, can't leave because a web spell cast by a random spider five days ago hasn't worn off yet

This however is an example of just trying to brute force poo poo when the game explicitly gives you the tools so this isn't a problem lol.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Actually I like walking through the wilderness in BG1.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's fine on paper but the execution is beyond boring.

It does get really weird at times, especially the combat inside baldurs gate where you will almost definitely be overleveled for a very wimpy "kill everything in this building" psuedo-dungeon.

my least favourite part tbh is the inane maze under the thieves guild.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anyway, Scorpia was 100% correct about BG1 in her CGW review and it's pretty sad that she got shitcanned for having opinions about a popular game when virtually all her complaints are now basically just extremely common opinions about the game lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SRQ posted:

It does get really weird at times, especially the combat inside baldurs gate where you will almost definitely be overleveled for a very wimpy "kill everything in this building" psuedo-dungeon.

my least favourite part tbh is the inane maze under the thieves guild.

Firewine Bridge is also mad annoying. The game's pathfinding is way too crap to handle narrow spaces.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Like this is especially funny to me. The CGW editors were basically arguing with Scorpia in the screenshot captions of her review

Pictured here is them giving some of the worst possible advice for BG1 lol.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The trick to enjoying Baldur's Gate is to turn on cheats so you can press Ctrl J to teleport around the map so you can't have to wait to gather your party before venturing forth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Firewine Bridge is also mad annoying. The game's pathfinding is way too crap to handle narrow spaces.

It's like 1) they didn't understand what a dungeon was 2) didn't understand the scale needed to fit a full party of characters. Sure, let's make the corridors 1 tile wide, that will work for a team of 6

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Angelo_Dosan

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Caesar Saladin posted:

The trick to enjoying Baldur's Gate is to turn on cheats so you can press Ctrl J to teleport around the map so you can't have to wait to gather your party before venturing forth

I agree but I remember on some of my later playthroughs how this could mess things up. When I left the dungeon beneath Candlekeep I used cheats:hans() to jump to the edge of the map to leave the area. You have to actually walk past the walls of the keep to trigger the start of chapter 7.

I spent hours after it going to all the places I had been in my previous playthrough, wondering what went wrong.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The 90's was a different time.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I bet whitey was a hoot

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Wrageowrapper posted:

Do they come up with the year names at the end of the year once they know what happened or at the beginning and just hope that its going to be a year of Wild Magic? Also what happens if like three years later there is a year that is even colder on the soul than the previous one? Do they have to change the name? Doesn't that mess with the archives?

According to the FR sourcebooks, the Roll of Years was originally made up by a wizard of Netheril (basically think Imperium of Man run by powerful magicians) who was receiving visions of the future and eventually went insane. However, much of the list eventually was forgotten, and had to be partially rediscovered by Alaundo of Candlekeep (yes, that same Alaundo) who made his own substitutions for the missing parts of the Roll of Years. Usually the years are named after the most significant event that happened during that year, however, this doesn't always apply because in some cases the year name doesn't apply strictly to anything that actually happened then.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m Matt “The Tube” Horvath

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Baldurs Gate 3 is so horny it has completely drowned out the ability to Google for the extremely 90s things the prostitutes say as you wander around Baldurs Gate.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

there's an area in throne of bhaal where I had to go through some family's house to reach another area and doing so aggroed them causing one of my party to one-shot gib a child, turning my alignment evil. Whoopsie daisy!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's fun in Baldur's Gate 2 when you meet one of your potential companions from Baldur's Gate 1, and they are immediately killed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Extra Large Marge posted:

It's fun in Baldur's Gate 2 when you meet one of your potential companions from Baldur's Gate 1, and they are immediately killed.

I liked tiax. I'd kneel for tiax

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its not cheating to use shadow-keeper to gift yourself 6 boots of the cheetah before starting your quest.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

Its not cheating to use shadow-keeper to gift yourself 6 boots of the cheetah before starting your quest.

Correct. There was a lot going against Pillars of Eternity 1, but they added speed options right in the basic UI for this very reason.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Salt Fish posted:

Not as satisfying as the morrowind 100pts 1s resist magicka custom spell--->boots of blinding speed thing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

please read my scathing takedown of this 25 year old entertainment product that you enjoyed as a kid and accounts for an enormous share of the genre’s bedrock to this day

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Khalid was such a dork, I don't know how he landed a bad bitch like Jaheira

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

bro i’m telling you, harpers get mad chicks, it’s insane

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Caesar Saladin posted:

Khalid was such a dork, I don't know how he landed a bad bitch like Jaheira

Khalid is one of my favorite BG1 characters, bc hes so odd and out of place for a CRPG companion even today, and he comes with by default Jaheira, who rocks for a lot of reasons. Ive learned a little bit about him.

Basically, the pen and paper character didnt translate to being a 90's video game character in any way other than coming across as a total wiener, and the player meme around his Morale Break (which I find fascinating in and of itself) sealed the deal.

Seige of Dragonspear expands on the characterizations of a lot of the companions, because these people who originally played the characters in the precursor tabletop D&D game are still around todat to talk about it, and theres plenty of materials and production notes around also. Khalid gets fleshed out a great deal this way. It's actually one of the particular highlights of Siege for me.

To answer your question, I dont know. There mightve been more to it beyond "domineering wife/meek husband" comedy duo, but also maybe not? He did bring SOMETHING to the table tho. I guess? :shrug:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

please read my scathing takedown of this 25 year old entertainment product that you enjoyed as a kid and accounts for an enormous share of the genre’s bedrock to this day

Have you considered that it's insanely boring to just mindlessly have placid opinions on a medium that you enjoy and that looking at things you liked growing up critically is a great way to engage with the medium and understand how it's grown and evolved and additionally is very fun and can reveal incredibly humorous things about the design and systems?

Like wtf do you want? People to just delusionally suck the dick of poo poo that was massively flawed just because it's old?

If you take that poo poo personally that's your problem.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 21, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

wizard2 posted:

Khalid is one of my favorite BG1 characters, bc hes so odd and out of place for a CRPG companion even today, and he comes with by default Jaheira, who rocks for a lot of reasons. Ive learned a little bit about him.

Basically, the pen and paper character didnt translate to being a 90's video game character in any way other than coming across as a total wiener, and the player meme around his Morale Break (which I find fascinating in and of itself) sealed the deal.

Seige of Dragonspear expands on the characterizations of a lot of the companions, because these people who originally played the characters in the precursor tabletop D&D game are still around todat to talk about it, and theres plenty of materials and production notes around also. Khalid gets fleshed out a great deal this way. It's actually one of the particular highlights of Siege for me.

To answer your question, I dont know. There mightve been more to it beyond "domineering wife/meek husband" comedy duo, but also maybe not? He did bring SOMETHING to the table tho. I guess? :shrug:

Khalid is really funny because you can put the 18 str gloves on him along with full plate armor and protective items and he just becomes an unkillable frontliner that can stand in front of the Demon Knight and have it just do absolutely nothing to him while he stammers "Well.... if none are better" or "My heart isn't really in this"

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Spoiler: if you play a good aligned party, the only cleric with a somewhat similar viewpoint is Branwen. She’s neutral though, so will endlessly grumble if you don’t periodically reduce your reputation by engaging in petty theft.

Apparently her god is cool with saving slaves but also very keen on burglary.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Spoiler: if you play a good aligned party, the only cleric with a somewhat similar viewpoint is Branwen. She’s neutral though, so will endlessly grumble if you don’t periodically reduce your reputation by engaging in petty theft.

Apparently her god is cool with saving slaves but also very keen on burglary.

You could manipulate their triggers so they'd stay in your party without reducing your rep which was really funny when they'd be like "ILL NEVER ADVENTURE WITH YOU AGAIN" and you just forcibly put them back in your party like they threw a tantrum you ignored

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ajantis was so loving annoying just randomly aggroing on evil party members

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Engine limitation. Instead Tempus absolutely would prefer you periodically challenge peasants to mortal combat. If you're rep 20 you have room to fight someone new is where Branwen is leaning.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Baldurs gate 1 had multiple flavors of insane teammates and more games should do that

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Have you considered that it's insanely boring to just mindlessly have placid opinions on a medium that you enjoy and that looking at things you liked growing up critically is a great way to engage with the medium and understand how it's grown and evolved and additionally is very fun and can reveal incredibly humorous things about the design and systems?

Like wtf do you want? People to just delusionally suck the dick of poo poo that was massively flawed just because it's old?

If you take that poo poo personally that's your problem.

i’m going to review all of your posts, starting with the very first

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Montaron rocked. My evil playthrough of BG2 was as a fighter/thief with his soundpack.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

My youtube feed is currently blowing up with gamer rants about Baldur's Gate 3 and how it has game companies panicking.

They don't want Larian to set a new benchmark for quality because then they would have to put in effort.

I'm so drat pissed my computer isn't powerful enough to run it.

e: I'm actually doing a playthrough of New Vegas (again) and while it's still a classic it's very obvious it has a lot of cut content. Just saying, the best game of it's generation could have been better if not for greed.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edwin has over five hundred thousand posts on the "Red Wizards of Thay" forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Valko posted:

My youtube feed is currently blowing up with gamer rants about Baldur's Gate 3 and how it has game companies panicking.

They don't want Larian to set a new benchmark for quality because then they would have to put in effort.

I'm so drat pissed my computer isn't powerful enough to run it.

e: I'm actually doing a playthrough of New Vegas (again) and while it's still a classic it's very obvious it has a lot of cut content. Just saying, the best game of it's generation could have been better if not for greed.

It makes no sense to have BG3 as a new "benchmark" not every rpg can be a super project developed over 10 years by a huge veteran studio. It's like saying that every movie should be measured against Avatar in the Cgi department.