Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s cheating if you change your stats with a hack or a program, but if you roll the dice 10000 times until you get a great roll total and 18/95+ strength, it’s not cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Agreed, and furthermore the devs included a console that lets you summon tomes of attribute increases, so that's clearly intended player behavior and also not cheating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base stats aren't even real. Just drink potions.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my cleric told me not to mix an elixir of cloud giant strength with my boner potion, but what does he know?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

steinrokkan posted:

It makes no sense to have BG3 as a new "benchmark" not every rpg can be a super project developed over 10 years by a huge veteran studio. It's like saying that every movie should be measured against Avatar in the Cgi department.

It's just delusional poo poo gamers are repeating on Twitter again so they can feel involved and like they're actually distinguished critics really driving at the heart of what the industry lacks with astonishing conclusions such as "This game better, you must make better game too."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also just mindblowing that people are also concluding that the reason the game succeeded is because they made "A complete, finished product that doesn't have microtransactions" like that hasn't been virtually every singleplayer cRPG released for the past 30 years, thanks a lot for the revolutionary commentary - Baldur's Gate 3 even has a busted rear end endgame like every cRPG released for the past 30 years, it's actually pretty impressive how true it is to the genre right down to when it decides to fall apart and start running out of steam.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I think people are just excited that a good game came out for PC that isn't a second class citizen to the console version and also it's doing really well critically and commercially, which is pretty rare you gotta admit.

Games used to just come out on PC and that was that but PC gaming is like a small fraction of the games industry nowadays, according to nothing in particular other than my own out of touch opinions

And also it isn't like a weird style MMO or spreadsheet based game or something like that which can't exist on consoles

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

It makes no sense to have BG3 as a new "benchmark" not every rpg can be a super project developed over 10 years by a huge veteran studio. It's like saying that every movie should be measured against Avatar in the Cgi department.

That's not what people want.
What they want is finished and polished experiences with no micro transaction bullshit.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cosmik Debris posted:

I think people are just excited that a good game came out for PC that isn't a second class citizen to the console version and also it's doing really well critically and commercially, which is pretty rare you gotta admit.

Games used to just come out on PC and that was that but PC gaming is like a small fraction of the games industry nowadays, according to nothing in particular other than my own out of touch opinions

And also it isn't like a weird style MMO or spreadsheet based game or something like that which can't exist on consoles

PC gaming market makes billions more than the console market. It's the single most prolific way to play games on the planet. I think people are excited that a genre that doesn't usually receive claim or games of this immense size and density has been recognized as something that can be a mainstream success, which hopefully means we'll get more big budget turn based cRPGs. Along with people who have never played the genre and are now mind-blown by a new experience that they never realized could be as fun as it is. However, the game has had inordinate amounts of money shoveled into it from both the developers and from the EA process, has had a six year development process, is based on a long developed skeleton and structure they established with two previous games in OS1 and 2, and was done in a way that the vast, vast majority of developers can't ever hope to do, which is produce this huge, big budget title without publisher oversight attempting to prune it done into a "cRPG for the masses" while utilizing the success of a game that was already an outrageous financial outlier in the genre (OS2 made bundles compared to other games of its type).

Ultimately people are just crying out for more products produced in utterly unsustainable ways that can't be easily replicated. Developers are already making games in brutally unsustainable ways while working several years, sometimes half a decade, on a single project with ballooning budgets that have inordinate amounts of oversight so it isn't a financial disaster. You're asking people to build a mountain with shovels. You can't just create a Larian situation out of the ether. Their company is also ancient and was around long before they ever achieved mainstream success with OS2.

Obsidian didn't have these resources when they made Pillars of Eternity, Disco Elysium was a tortured process in and of itself and they still had to pull it off by the skin of their teeth, games like Pathfinder are a moderate success, but the relative size of their teams and budget were still much lower. Making something with the ridiculous reactivity of BG3 is an inordinate task, people can't rear end-pull it, these kinds of cRPGs are already notorious for being buggy messes because they collapse under the weight of their own ambition. Baldur's Gate 3 isn't even different in that regard, it's buggy as poo poo, I have no idea where people are getting "polished" from. Complete, sure, but the third act is a disaster.

Even if players can say "Oh well I don't want the development process to be bad or near impossible to organically replicate, I just want more games like this." and it's like, how do you think games like this get made? The developers saying it's a ludicrous standard are correct.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 21, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I guess this poo poo is annoying because ideally we should be making much smaller games, with smaller teams, for a lower price point, with a much shorter dev cycle. That's how things should be so that there's some kind of sanity to the process, and maybe occasionally some big release is collaborated on and built in the way other developers helped out Kojima Productions with Death Stranding, but people want games to be bigger, better, more polished, with better graphics, better production values, better everything - even if they claim otherwise, and the tools and organization we use to make games just cannot possibly do that without being a grinding mill of horror.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just want astarion by my side in every game i play from now on, i don’t think that’s too much to ask

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
BG3 is great, I hope everyone stops making indie games to focus on more Infinity Engine sequels.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Are the Pathfinder games worth playing?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

credburn posted:

Skip the first one, it's basically a petulant DM simulator. I've heard tabletop gamers say they have walked away from tables for less than the ridiculous situations that game puts you in - and I can see why.

I'm actually having fun with WoTR. It's worth a shot from what I've played so far but I haven't finished it.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed, and furthermore the devs included a console that lets you summon tomes of attribute increases, so that's clearly intended player behavior and also not cheating.

unironically agreed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

credburn posted:

Kingmaker was alright. I gave up on wrath of the righteous pretty quick.

Think kingmaker is going for like £3 at the mo on the humble store

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/pathfinder-kingmaker-enhanced-plus-edition

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

PC gaming market makes billions more than the console market. It's the single most prolific way to play games on the planet.

Lol no it's not, Nintendo, like the biggest games company in the world by revenue, doesn't even make PC games let alone sell them on its store. Mostly ditto for a lot of big Sony games.

quote:

The Numbers:
PC and console games (total): $92.3 billion, down 2.2% year-on-year
Console games: $51.8 billion, down 4.2% year-on-year
Digital/physical PC games: $38.2 billion, up 1.8% year-on-year
Browser PC games: $2.3 billion, down 16.7% year-on-year

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/report-pc-and-console-global-gaming-dipped-to-923bn-in-2022#:~:text=The%20Numbers%3A,1.8%25%20year%2Don%2Dyear

Switch has sold like 150 million units or something ridiculous.

Xbox is getting it eventually, and while switch won't get BG3, it's more powerful successor almost certainly will.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 22, 2023

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Nintendo is for babbies :lol:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

credburn posted:

If you liked BG1/2, I'd say yes, especially at not-brand-new-release prices.

As far as plot and character writing, they're competent but not outstanding. That's the same bucket I'd put the BG1&2 into. Not Icewind Dale/NWN1 bad, but not Torment good. Wrath's cast is generally more interesting than Kingmaker's.

Encounter design in them can tend towards enemies being stacks of big numbers to beat your head against, especially if you turn up the difficulty. On normal (which is easier than tabletop rules), it's not unreasonably difficult, but you'll need to be okay at least one or two of "build halfway competent characters" / "use buffs" / "use consumables". It's certainly possible to screw builds up in ways that will make combat frustrating (example: Wrath is mostly about fighting demons. All demons are immune to lightning. Nothing mechanically stops you from building a mostly-useless wizard with a bunch of lightning spells who doesn't take the "ignore lightning immunity" feat).

Their extra gimmicks (kingdom management in Kingmaker and the HoMM/King's Bounty-lite wargame in Wrath) are generally poorly thought of, but you can turn the difficulty on those down to nothing and mostly ignore them.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I'm just glad noober is back

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I likely won't play BG3 for years to tell where it lands but Icewind Dale's setting dressing is the only good D&D game writing. The only reason I have not to call it best written is the whole stunt at the end that makes it all Drizzt fan fiction.

The Pathfinder games do have really fun character writing that is a great antidote to the Bioware party member tropes that have permeated this style of game. They all feel like characters played by weirdos you find on a bulletin board ad, even the special Pathfinder copyrighted snowflakes (especially the snowflakes). That also means the annoying characters are truly annoying which turns people off.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The new EE companions were pretty annoying, especially Rasaad. Man, what a wiener that guy is. Always getting his rear end kicked and complaining about his lame karate friends.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I'm playing BG3 and the game is almost intrusive with how many chances I get to bone down with a party member wtf. Is BG2 also this horny? It's honestly uncomfortable. Why can't these characters just have normal conversations?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i remember it being a lot harder to romance people in bg2, and also, each romance option has their own theme music. bg2 music is just a hell of a lot better than bg3 in general.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can't bone down in BG2 without first fixing your partners issues as is the proper Christian way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mr. Merdle posted:

I'm playing BG3 and the game is almost intrusive with how many chances I get to bone down with a party member wtf. Is BG2 also this horny? It's honestly uncomfortable. Why can't these characters just have normal conversations?

Wizards gently caress too, get over it mom

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also if your PC was a woman, there was only one potential romance candidate, who was the most annoying m'lady redditor incel imaginable.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There's a BG3 conversation where Gabe the wizard asks you what you're thinking about and your options are "smooching you on the mouth" or "punching you in the guts" and the latest big patch added a middle ground response as a highlighted new feature.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Also if your PC was a woman, there was only one potential romance candidate, who was the most annoying m'lady redditor incel imaginable.

I think I remember hearing that Valygar and Haer'Dalis romances were planned, but Jaheira's romance ballooned out of scope to the point Aerie's and Viconia's weren't even started yet, so they canned the other romances for female PCs to get them out the door, figuring the romance options for male PCs would be more popular.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m certainly no prude but can you turn off the dick suckin and such?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's a BG3 conversation where Gabe the wizard asks you what you're thinking about and your options are "smooching you on the mouth" or "punching you in the guts" and the latest big patch added a middle ground response as a highlighted new feature.

Hahaha I just had this conversation and was like "why are these even options?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m certainly no prude but can you turn off the dick suckin and such?
No one will stop you if you want to get turned off by dick suckin and such. That's between you and your therapist.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah you can only date healers, and the mans are all too busy hitting things

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

zedprime posted:

No one will stop you if you want to get turned off by dick suckin and such. That's between you and your therapist.

I’m actually afraid about getting turned on TOO much. I have very limited gaming time and want to focus on gameplay rather than tuggin too much due to ogrestimulation.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

And if your character was gay, you had zero romance options. BG2: Closet of Bhaal.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Dial A For Awesome posted:

And if your character was gay, you had zero romance options. BG2: Closet of Bhaal.

When I was still a teen playing through the games/various mods I always thought it'd be fun to make one that removed the gender requirements but changed the romances just enough to still make sense narratively speaking, call it Baldur's Gayte or something lol

I probably won't play 3 for a while since I haven't had an actual PC in ages but the fact NPCs apparently react with The Sims-level indiscriminate sexual preferences does warm my otherwise dead gay heart a bit

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone in faerun is horny at all times, just 100% horned up and ready to plow at a moment’s notice. as always, it’s due to the meddling of the gods in the affairs of mortals. the writers can’t just ignore it, it’s canon.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bigby's Blownout Bussy

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

everyone in faerun is horny at all times, just 100% horned up and ready to plow at a moment’s notice. as always, it’s due to the meddling of the gods in the affairs of mortals. the writers can’t just ignore it, it’s canon.

This checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah I read the elminster books too.