Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Not according to my energy flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol @ dying on a hill for the honor of private back cracking lessons

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like qi because it is much more believable that I have it compared to mana, or the myofascial continuity, or vertebral subluxation. DBZ is entirely to blame for this (and when I stand screaming in the closet before an important business meeting.)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'm a medium and I'm talking to a gay forum rn wild poo poo

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my mom was a receptionist for a chriopactor for a couple years when I was a kid. the studio/clinic was really fancy, in downtown Chicago, so I guess the guy had a lot of rich clients. oh poo poo it’s all coming back to me.

the office facade had a bunch of those awful little hazy cube-glass window things, you know? ooo I hate those.

Buce fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 15, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Live by the crack, die by the crack.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

zedprime posted:

I like qi because it is much more believable that I have it compared to mana, or the myofascial continuity, or vertebral subluxation. DBZ is entirely to blame for this (and when I stand screaming in the closet before an important business meeting.)

If I don't have mana then how come I can buy a mana potion energy drink online?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I sneezed really hard and my scapula popped, all my chakras are back in order.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Treecko posted:

Bless you.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Treecko posted:

Sometimes when I sneeze my sternum pops and while it feels pretty awful the sound is truly something to behold.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It hurt for a few seconds and then it felt AMAZING. Holy crap I can use my arm again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yes and no, the world of woo is contradictory in that the body is both magically capable of solving everything on its own, but also somehow constantly full of toxins it can't flush out. it's always some 'the medical establishment doesn't want you to know....that pouring orange juice into your eyes cures asthma' poo poo, where a simple household item induces your body into its natural healing state that the current establishment doesn't want you to know you can achieve

these same sorts of people are the type to insist they could never get COVID because of their daily meditation practices. it's their own little Just Cause fallacy - all the sick people of the world are sick because they're not ~~believing in the power of their body~~ and meditating hard enough while drinking apple cider vinegar

And this sort of thing thrives in environments where real medical care is too expensive or difficult to get. So off people go to find miracle cures in whatever is laying around the house.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's a place in the desert of California called the Integratron (https://www.integratron.com/).

Strange place, UFO museum on the first floor, and an "acoustic dome" above - the kind of structure where you can whisper on the far side and someone on the other side can hear it clearly. Cool place. They offer something called "Sound Baths" where a lady plays "crystals"(large glasses of water) of different sizes, which produce these very resonant sounds that at times you can feel. It was also neat. For the sound bath, you lay on mats around the center.

It was a cool experience, but I couldn't help but be amazed by these obvious rich folks who showed up for it, one lady saying "Oh, it's been weeks since my last crystal message". Strong Woo energy.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

There's a place in the desert of California called the Integratron (https://www.integratron.com/).

Strange place, UFO museum on the first floor, and an "acoustic dome" above - the kind of structure where you can whisper on the far side and someone on the other side can hear it clearly. Cool place. They offer something called "Sound Baths" where a lady plays "crystals"(large glasses of water) of different sizes, which produce these very resonant sounds that at times you can feel. It was also neat. For the sound bath, you lay on mats around the center.

It was a cool experience, but I couldn't help but be amazed by these obvious rich folks who showed up for it, one lady saying "Oh, it's been weeks since my last crystal message". Strong Woo energy.

:lmao: if you enjoyed that, you should check out the esalen institute for your next woo-cation

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

redshirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoTdG_VNV4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's awesome!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

whatever you do, don’t listen to this version. the bad vibrations will drive you to madness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?eQemvyyJ--g
https://youtu.be/eQemvyyJ--g

edit: is something going on with youtube embeds?

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 15, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

:lmao: if you enjoyed that, you should check out the esalen institute for your next woo-cation

That looks pretty nice, on the surface at least.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

That looks pretty nice, on the surface at least.

they let you trade volunteer hours for spa hours

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

they let you trade volunteer hours for spa hours

Fair. Do some dishes, get a massage.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
If someone who doesn't believe in any of this wanted to try it, is it better to go to a place with a veneer of legitimacy (eg, "medical acupuncture") or lean in to the full woo and find a place that talks about qi and ley lines and whatever else?

I'm not doing this in place of normal medicine -- normal medicine can't help my condition any, so it feels like no big loss to waste money on some woo garbage.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

spacing in vienna posted:

If someone who doesn't believe in any of this wanted to try it, is it better to go to a place with a veneer of legitimacy (eg, "medical acupuncture") or lean in to the full woo and find a place that talks about qi and ley lines and whatever else?

I'm not doing this in place of normal medicine -- normal medicine can't help my condition any, so it feels like no big loss to waste money on some woo garbage.

ayahuasca retreats are great places to get your chakras realigned or whatever

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Huh? It is 100% loss, outside of placebo. But you can get similar feelings of wellbeing from doing more benign stuff like mediating or talking to someone about your condition all while not supporting anti-science bullshit.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Just waste money on something that actually feels good and won't give you hepatitis, like a massage or mani/pedi or whatever. Maybe some eyebrow threading, I've heard it's like crack for your brows.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I've heard of good results posting your JO crystals on Craigslist but I think they cracked down since then.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Just dance naked around a tree at midnight or do some weed about it

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

I've heard of good results posting your JO crystals on Craigslist but I think they cracked down since then.

Hilarious, thanks.

An actual nih.gov article concluded that people who use western medicine and acupuncture have slightly higher recovery rates for sudden sensorineural hearing loss than people who try western medicine alone. link

They also state that it might be because of the small sample size, it might be placebo effect, it might be observer bias, and that's all more likely than some qi ley lines magically restoring hearing. But charging JO crystals or getting a mani-pedi won't improve my hearing any, whereas this article thinks there's a small chance that, for whatever insane reason, acupuncture might slightly increase my odds of not being permanently deaf in one ear. Is it really ridiculous to try?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Hilarious, thanks.

An actual nih.gov article concluded that people who use western medicine and acupuncture have slightly higher recovery rates for sudden sensorineural hearing loss than people who try western medicine alone. link

They also state that it might be because of the small sample size, it might be placebo effect, it might be observer bias, and that's all more likely than some qi ley lines magically restoring hearing. But charging JO crystals or getting a mani-pedi won't improve my hearing any, whereas this article thinks there's a small chance that, for whatever insane reason, acupuncture might slightly increase my odds of not being permanently deaf in one ear. Is it really ridiculous to try?

There's a very low risk of anything bad happening

Given that, if it will stress you out and bother you that you haven't "tried everything" then it may be better to give it a go if only to relieve that stress or those intrusive thoughts.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hilarious, thanks.

getting a mani pedi might improve your hearing if you believe it does. im completely serious

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

have you asked your doctor for a referral? they might just look at you funny, but chances are good you won't be the first person to ask and even if they don't have any positive referrals, if there's a place the rumor mill says to avoid there's a good chance they've heard it and can steer you away from that particular place

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Hilarious, thanks.

I lost quite a bit of hearing due to multiple ear drum puncturing infections in my right ear. I can empathize with you. If you feel that this may help, do it. If done safely acupuncture is very low risk.

Talk to the person before they perform it and find out where they are putting the needles. Ask about their sterilization processes. If you go to a person and get a bad feeling, don't let that person touch you.

Putting on my skeptic cap looking at the study has me scratching my head because it says "accupuncture" helped, but doesn't list the supposed needle points. Is this whole body acccupucture, just focusing on the ears? The metastudy portion also doesn't always bode well for reliability.

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 17, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

getting a mani pedi might improve your hearing if you believe it does. im completely serious

If anything it will improve your mani-pedi-hearing self-actualizing mindfulness techniques

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wanting to hear is for GIRLS

which makes it BAD

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What about CBD oil, does that stuff do anything?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

Just smoke weed every day.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah, it makes you wish you'd bought hash oil like a sensible grownup.

YMMV, but I get more pain relief from 5mg of THC than 100mg of CBD.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Of all the things in the thread a mani pedi is rising to the top of the list just from induced meditative state possibilities.

Chilling out doesn't cure everything but it's a good place to start for members of a modern society who are otherwise encouraged to be keyed up 25/7.

I'm ultimately judgement free on JO crystals for that reason. If you or your crystals are glowing after some JO with buds, more power to you.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

my JO crystals glow so bright I gotta wear shades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Toupee Groupie posted:

I lost quite a bit of hearing due to multiple ear drum puncturing infections in my right ear. I can empathize with you. If you feel that this may help, do it. If done safely acupuncture is very low risk.

Talk to the person before they perform it and find out where they are putting the needles. Ask about their sterilization processes. If you go to a person and get a bad feeling, don't let that person touch you.

Putting on my skeptic cap looking at the study has me scratching my head because it says "accupuncture" helped, but doesn't list the supposed needle points. Is this whole body acccupucture, just focusing on the ears? The metastudy portion also doesn't always bode well for reliability.
Echoing the preparation you need to do is not "how crunchy should I look for?" But doing a full grilling about all the things that can hurt you:
Needle sterilization procedures
Bed sterilization procedures
Skin sterilization procedures
Allergy potentials with essential oils, lotions, etc.

Also echoing the meta study list does not conclude positively for acupuncture for hearing loss. The studies reviewed showed positive results with bad study design. The temperature is more that it can't be ignored quite yet but there's not enough evidence for this to hit prime time.

That can be weighed by the risk reward. You probably won't get MRSA if you get positive answers to the above procedural questions. But you might even with the best controls; it happens for all interventions that mess with skin.