Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Problem description: I’m trying to upgrade the 16 GB Ram in my HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0021nr to 64 GB using 2 Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz non-ECC SODIMM sticks. Computer won’t boot at all. Old RAM works fine.

Attempted fixes: So far: Double/triple/quad checked to make sure RAM seated correctly; Verified that motherboard can handle 64 GB; Checked to make sure Max Memory setting was unchecked using msconfig; checked to see if there is an XMP setting in BIOS (there isn’t); Installed sticks one at a time to see if one was bad; Tried to take out CMOS battery but it turns out HP Pavillions don’t have one :shrug: ; Probably some other stuff I can’t remember right now. Tried everything I could think of or google suggested.

Recent changes: Upgraded SSD from 512 GB to 2 TB. No issues with new drive.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 64-bit

System specs: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0021nr intel i7. 16 gb ram, 2TB M.2 SSD (new)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd check and see if there are any BIOS updates for the laptop.

There's always a remote possibility that the RAM sticks are bad.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Zogo posted:

BIOS is up to date.

Guess I’ll take the RAM back and try to order off of crucial. There have been some vague posts in google/Reddit implying that HP is “picky” about RAM and that going for what crucial puts on their website is the way to go. I thought it was just marketing or whatever but maybe not.

Thanks for the BIOS suggestion though.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Zogo posted:

Huh. Bought some crucial RAM, stuck it in, booted just fine. Either the sticks WERE bad, there’s some spec I’m not seeing that created a conflict, or computers are loving stupid and I wish I was a carpenter or some poo poo. gently caress these stupid things.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
HP is picky about a lot of things, ram probably yeah. Usually it's to do with chip count / density of the chips on the stick, or speeds, or timing