Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

okay so I like dicking around with old computers, bit of a hobby. I actually make money off it.

On and off I've tried to use OS/2 because people apparently liked it in the 1990s. My experiences thus far:
- Unable to boot on a Pentium 60 due to the video card not working right. Unable to ever fix. This hardware was absolutely on the shelves at the time and this was never fixed.
- Unable to install on various hard drives because they were just TOO DANG BIG. How the gently caress you manage to balls this up so bad that within years of your OS release you can't actually install it on anything I don't even know. Mac and Windows* don't have this problem so it's not like it was some sort of secret mythical magic.
- Unable to install the video card drivers for a 1997 system because they are bugged, despite using the newest 2001 release, which inexplicably does not come with drivers.
- Unable to get the sound card on the same system to work because, again, inexplicably it lacks built in ones. Installing the OEM ones is a dumb PITA and I hate it.
- Neither the video card nor sound card drivers are recognized by the system driver installer app, and both have their own weirdo bespoke installer systems.
- lmfao it uses literal config.sys
- which you cannot edit from the terminal
- Unable to get CD drives to work with various attempts because for some reason it has no generic ATAPI driver. Despite, again, that a driver existed for DOS that's super easy to use so what the gently caress IBM.

Let alone the fact it's just a cluttered and lovely mess to actually use with a UI designed by the same team in charge of fighter jet cockpits. It's trash hell garbage even compared to how awful everything was in the era and I cannot fathom why anyone would choose this over Mac or windows. Installing Red Hat 6 was literally easier and more user friendly.

was everyone just stupid and/or drunk in the 1990s why was this acceptable and beyond that desirable.

this os is a pos

*NT-old does but I suspect that's entirely because it shared the OS2 team early on and they suck.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:ck5:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

they ran a lot of magazine ads

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
nobody ever got fired for buying ibm

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

It's almost as if an operating system has a supported hardware list and your hardware ain't on it. Now you're mad that THE STUPID THING DOESN'T WORK.

OS/2 was fuckin awesome because I could run my 14.4 BBS and also use my computer at the same time thanks to the magic of FOSSIL. Anyone who has bad things to say about OS/2 is automatically outing themselves as an idiot, because OS/2 was the only OS that wasn't a piece of poo poo.

So maybe before lighting up a dumbass review of an OS you couldn't ever get running on account of (already mentioned but bears repeating) being a dumbass, maybe you could use an emulator or something else suitable for children and babies?

Man up, get a PS/2 mod 80 and 8514 like a real chad, and experience the TRUE GLORY of OS/2

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

nobody ever got fired for buying ibm

indeed remains true if no one buys ibm

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Visual GNUdio posted:

Man up, get a PS/2 mod 80 and 8514 like a real chad, and experience the TRUE GLORY of OS/2

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was going to say "elitist contrarianism" but then visual gnudio just went and QED'ed it first

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i've never seen os/2 being used anywhere so I don't know if it's good or not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SRQ posted:

okay so I like dicking around with old computers, bit of a hobby. I actually make money off it.

On and off I've tried to use OS/2 because people apparently liked it in the 1990s. My experiences thus far:
- Unable to boot on a Pentium 60 due to the video card not working right. Unable to ever fix. This hardware was absolutely on the shelves at the time and this was never fixed.
- Unable to install on various hard drives because they were just TOO DANG BIG. How the gently caress you manage to balls this up so bad that within years of your OS release you can't actually install it on anything I don't even know. Mac and Windows* don't have this problem so it's not like it was some sort of secret mythical magic.
- Unable to install the video card drivers for a 1997 system because they are bugged, despite using the newest 2001 release, which inexplicably does not come with drivers.
- Unable to get the sound card on the same system to work because, again, inexplicably it lacks built in ones. Installing the OEM ones is a dumb PITA and I hate it.
- Neither the video card nor sound card drivers are recognized by the system driver installer app, and both have their own weirdo bespoke installer systems.
- lmfao it uses literal config.sys
- which you cannot edit from the terminal
- Unable to get CD drives to work with various attempts because for some reason it has no generic ATAPI driver. Despite, again, that a driver existed for DOS that's super easy to use so what the gently caress IBM.

Let alone the fact it's just a cluttered and lovely mess to actually use with a UI designed by the same team in charge of fighter jet cockpits. It's trash hell garbage even compared to how awful everything was in the era and I cannot fathom why anyone would choose this over Mac or windows. Installing Red Hat 6 was literally easier and more user friendly.

was everyone just stupid and/or drunk in the 1990s why was this acceptable and beyond that desirable.

this os is a pos

*NT-old does but I suspect that's entirely because it shared the OS2 team early on and they suck.

this is an ibm product from the 90s, the QVL is not a suggestion, it is an actual list of what the os will run on.

if you gently caress with old hardware as a hobby i have no idea how you've never run into both low level bios and filesystem limitations on drive geometry and volume size, that too was a thing for a very long time.

did you know it's possible to have too much ram to boot some os?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if that's the experience you're looking for today, have you considered linux?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like, congratulations, you've discovered what computer touching was like in the 90s. the things you described were the norm and the biggest difference from today is you didn't have 30 years of collected knowledge and drivers at your fingertips

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

my family "upgraded" from a 512Ke Mac to a 486/DX4 running OS/2 and I think part of the appeal was the compatibility layer where you could (nominally) run multitasked (!) DOS and Win3.x applications in addition to all your favourite OS/2 programs (GalCiv 1, LotusSuite, the built-in 3D chess game???)

of course in practice nothing ever worked right; I spent ages trying to get MOO1 for DOS running correctly under it but we'd always have weird spurious hangs that were impossible to diagnose

cowboy beepboop posted:

they ran a lot of magazine ads

and let's not forget that this was approaching the peak IBM commerical era, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHD0XRLsH4

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

because OS/2 was the only OS that wasn't a piece of poo poo.

*for consumer hardware. unix workstations that ran a real os could cost more than a new car at the time

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

also I'd never seen this early OS/2 logo until now and it fuckin whips, who wouldn't want to use an OS with a logo like this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

windows 95 even through XP had you needing to install vendor drivers manually, hardly anything was built into the OS. if you lost that cd that came with your motherboard with the word "chipset" printed on it, you were hosed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what does the os/2 stand for? operating system?? 2?????

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SRQ posted:

how are you only just discovering that drive size limits are a thing in older OSes? :psyduck:

DOS didn't like anything over 504MB. early windows didn't like 2GB. various BIOS bugs caused 8GB, 32GB, or 64GB limits. and >128GB wasn't supported until one of the XP service packs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

yes. you had ps/2 (personal system 2) and os/2. it was the 2nd major computer from ibm or so they said.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

"orgasm stimulator 2"

it's actually derived from the OS that ran on every 90s vibrator"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

polyester concept posted:

windows 95 even through XP had you needing to install vendor drivers manually, hardly anything was built into the OS. if you lost that cd that came with your motherboard with the word "chipset" printed on it, you were hosed

Sweevo posted:

how are you only just discovering that drive size limits are a thing in older OSes? :psyduck:

DOS didn't like anything over 504MB. early windows didn't like 2GB. various BIOS bugs caused 8GB, 32GB, or 64GB limits. and >128GB wasn't supported until one of the XP service packs

op sounds like someone whose first computer was a pentium 4 running windows xp.

drivers being distributed with the os was basically not a thing for the longest time, and if you did get something with basic feature support, you'd still want to dig up the oem driver disk because if it worked at all it would be slow as poo poo and missing features

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait until op discovers that hard drives had jumpers to set certain settings including limiting the reported capacity to the bios because otherwise the system couldn't boot with them attached

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i remember getting our first family computer in the 90s and i was so excited to get it home and play games, but everyone from people at the store, to our neighbors, to relatives, were all telling us that it was gonna take at least a day to set it all up and get it running.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
OS/2? no

OS/2 Warp?? :rms:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you want os/2 to work out of the box, you run it on something like this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

polyester concept posted:

windows 95 even through XP had you needing to install vendor drivers manually

you still do if you want things like video drivers that aren't stripped down and months out of date

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

this guy knows whats up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

OS/2? no

OS/2 Warp?? :rms:

good post as i am pretty sure that the only good thing about os/2 warp was that it is the best name an os has ever had

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

this guy knows whats up

the only thing i had to install drivers for was the xircom pcmcia ethernet card. somehow the original floppy still worked

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they called it os/2 because it was, at best, half an operating system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's a good OS

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

skills issue

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:allears:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
when i went to go buy simcity 2000 at egghead software in the mid 90s, the guy behind the counter scoffed that i was buying the mac version, that apple would be dead in two years, and suggested i buy the next version of os/2 because it would have powerpc/mac os emulation. well, that's my os/2 story

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
using os/2 warp while on the warped tour #just90sthings

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it was probably better than OS/1

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i would like to use the laptop with the thickness of a phone book (unironically)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i borrow a friend of my stepdad's old toshiba satellite for a while once. was actually a really nice laptop even if it weighed a fucktonne, got very hot and had a battery life of like an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

i would like to use the laptop with the thickness of a phone book (unironically)

Good news!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Vintage+IBM+Thinkpad