Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

poo poo now im thinking about all those floppies i left in the laptop bag and forgot about when the guy asked for the laptop back. if i left the EGAtrek demo disk in there im going to be pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jony neuemonic posted:

i would like to use the laptop with the thickness of a phone book (unironically)

if i rebuilt the battery it'd be as good as the day it was built. i have a vaio of the same vintage and it's a hell of a lot thinner

doesn't run os/2 though

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

hbag posted:

poo poo now im thinking about all those floppies i left in the laptop bag and forgot about when the guy asked for the laptop back. if i left the EGAtrek demo disk in there im going to be pissed

just so long as you don’t copy that floppy

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
my dad had a still shrinkwrapped copy of os/2 warp on the shelf in our home office and to this day i have no idea why. i assume he took it from work? our first computer was a 512k mac and it's been macs ever since so

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to remind him of the road not taken

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same reason I keep a framed hair trimmer on the wall, to remind me and also to let everyone who visits know that I will never shave my pubes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have never seen a bigger self ownage on this site as the op’s post.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
to answer the question though, nobody used OS/2. it was a massive failure.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

don’t sign your posts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

i saw some atms still running os/2 in the 2010s

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The Management posted:

I have never seen a bigger self ownage on this site as the op’s post.

it's almost as if the op had no idea his OS was a POS

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SRQ posted:

okay so I like dicking around with old computers, bit of a hobby. I actually make money off it.

On and off I've tried to use OS/2 because people apparently liked it in the 1990s. My experiences thus far:
- Unable to boot on a Pentium 60 due to the video card not working right. Unable to ever fix. This hardware was absolutely on the shelves at the time and this was never fixed.
- Unable to install on various hard drives because they were just TOO DANG BIG. How the gently caress you manage to balls this up so bad that within years of your OS release you can't actually install it on anything I don't even know. Mac and Windows* don't have this problem so it's not like it was some sort of secret mythical magic.
- Unable to install the video card drivers for a 1997 system because they are bugged, despite using the newest 2001 release, which inexplicably does not come with drivers.
- Unable to get the sound card on the same system to work because, again, inexplicably it lacks built in ones. Installing the OEM ones is a dumb PITA and I hate it.
- Neither the video card nor sound card drivers are recognized by the system driver installer app, and both have their own weirdo bespoke installer systems.
- lmfao it uses literal config.sys
- which you cannot edit from the terminal
- Unable to get CD drives to work with various attempts because for some reason it has no generic ATAPI driver. Despite, again, that a driver existed for DOS that's super easy to use so what the gently caress IBM.

Let alone the fact it's just a cluttered and lovely mess to actually use with a UI designed by the same team in charge of fighter jet cockpits. It's trash hell garbage even compared to how awful everything was in the era and I cannot fathom why anyone would choose this over Mac or windows. Installing Red Hat 6 was literally easier and more user friendly.

was everyone just stupid and/or drunk in the 1990s why was this acceptable and beyond that desirable.

this os is a pos

*NT-old does but I suspect that's entirely because it shared the OS2 team early on and they suck.

didn't read

whatever happened to OS/1 anyway?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Zlodo posted:

whatever happened to OS/1 anyway?
it was a POS because OS/1 didn't support PS/2 keyboards

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

upgrade to os/3 op

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my uncle works at IBM and got me OS/4

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OS/5 was banned in japan because it had an icon of a gun and a kid shot his sister

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m already on os/13, op.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t even have an OS :smugmrgw:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

echinopsis posted:

I don’t even have an OS :smugmrgw:

just pure pos then?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:grin:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

echi does his posting from real mode, no INT 19h raised

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
im just whistling into a payphone, op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

when i was 11 or so my mum took me to her friend from work’s place. the friends son was ‘good with computers’ and knew how to program which was mind blowing to us. he showed me what a variable was and then we played tyrian or something. he had a 486 DX with os/2. that’s my os/2 story

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tyrian kicked rear end

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gently caress yeah Tyrian.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

tyrian kicked rear end

that guy was in diablo 2, right

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

that guy was in diablo 2, right

lol

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

i was just thinking about Tyrian today. i wonder if anyone's made a mod to rebalance the weapons.

come to think of it, maybe armored core will scratch the itch for blowing things up for 5 minutes and then spending ages buying new upgrades and tinkering about with my death machine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Crazy Achmed posted:

i was just thinking about Tyrian today. i wonder if anyone's made a mod to rebalance the weapons.

come to think of it, maybe armored core will scratch the itch for blowing things up for 5 minutes and then spending ages buying new upgrades and tinkering about with my death machine

i think that’s the fundamental value proposition for armored core, yeah

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

highfleet might also do well for that

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

jony neuemonic posted:

i would like to use the laptop with the thickness of a phone book (unironically)

I don't know why we don't see more vintage thinkpad 560 lines around, they're actually relatively thin -- almost to modern standards , but built in the mid 90s

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Hey I’m warpin here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

infernal machines posted:

if you want os/2 to work out of the box, you run it on something like this

Now this is a computer that I’d like to touch