Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

SRQ posted:

okay so I like dicking around with old computers, bit of a hobby. I actually make money off it.

On and off I've tried to use OS/2 because people apparently liked it in the 1990s. My experiences thus far:
- Unable to boot on a Pentium 60 due to the video card not working right. Unable to ever fix. This hardware was absolutely on the shelves at the time and this was never fixed.
- Unable to install on various hard drives because they were just TOO DANG BIG. How the gently caress you manage to balls this up so bad that within years of your OS release you can't actually install it on anything I don't even know. Mac and Windows* don't have this problem so it's not like it was some sort of secret mythical magic.
- Unable to install the video card drivers for a 1997 system because they are bugged, despite using the newest 2001 release, which inexplicably does not come with drivers.
- Unable to get the sound card on the same system to work because, again, inexplicably it lacks built in ones. Installing the OEM ones is a dumb PITA and I hate it.
- Neither the video card nor sound card drivers are recognized by the system driver installer app, and both have their own weirdo bespoke installer systems.
- lmfao it uses literal config.sys
- which you cannot edit from the terminal
- Unable to get CD drives to work with various attempts because for some reason it has no generic ATAPI driver. Despite, again, that a driver existed for DOS that's super easy to use so what the gently caress IBM.

Let alone the fact it's just a cluttered and lovely mess to actually use with a UI designed by the same team in charge of fighter jet cockpits. It's trash hell garbage even compared to how awful everything was in the era and I cannot fathom why anyone would choose this over Mac or windows. Installing Red Hat 6 was literally easier and more user friendly.

was everyone just stupid and/or drunk in the 1990s why was this acceptable and beyond that desirable.

this os is a pos

*NT-old does but I suspect that's entirely because it shared the OS2 team early on and they suck.

didn't read

whatever happened to OS/1 anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU