Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

my family "upgraded" from a 512Ke Mac to a 486/DX4 running OS/2 and I think part of the appeal was the compatibility layer where you could (nominally) run multitasked (!) DOS and Win3.x applications in addition to all your favourite OS/2 programs (GalCiv 1, LotusSuite, the built-in 3D chess game???)

of course in practice nothing ever worked right; I spent ages trying to get MOO1 for DOS running correctly under it but we'd always have weird spurious hangs that were impossible to diagnose

cowboy beepboop posted:

they ran a lot of magazine ads

and let's not forget that this was approaching the peak IBM commerical era, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHD0XRLsH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

also I'd never seen this early OS/2 logo until now and it fuckin whips, who wouldn't want to use an OS with a logo like this

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Zlodo posted:

whatever happened to OS/1 anyway?
it was a POS because OS/1 didn't support PS/2 keyboards

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

echi does his posting from real mode, no INT 19h raised