Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

What do you guys think? it's going to happen eventually, as all species have a carrying capacity that, when reached, further inhibits the growth of a particular population. Us humans, however, are unique in being that we have the ability to change our carrying capacity at a scale far greater than every other organism on Earth.

There are also enormous swathes of land that are still left either sparsely or entirely unpopulated today: The Amazon rainforest, the Tibetan Plateau, Xinjiang region of China, etc. These areas may be able to be terraformed (some already are, such as the Amazon Rainforest) in order to suit human habitation.

On the other hand, There is a great deal of land that is not suitable for the sustenance of any agriculture at all: in fact, only about 10% of the world's land is arable. Perhaps these territories could be terraformed and rendered viable for agriculture.

There are many parameters that us humans can modify in order to perpetuate a habitable environment - Temperature, soil, atmosphere, sunlight exposure, biome, etc. Will we be able to modify these parameters sufficiently in order to sustain our population growth? Or will the human race surpass it's carrying capacity, possibly leading to plague, famine, and war.

My opinion is, that we will eventually reach carrying capacity, but not surpass it in an eventful and destructive fashion. Human population growth rates have already slowed in many places, such as Europe and East Asia. The places that have high birth rates are still either agricultural/ hunter gatherer societies and have no/little access to contraception, along with little urbanization, which leads to lower birth rates. As these nations modernize and urbanize, growth rates will inevitably slow, and human ingenuity may increase our carrying capacity at a rate greater than our global population growth.

What do you guys think?

Kingoffrogs fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
population growth will stop at some point i'm betting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Human population growth is falling and the total population will eventually hit a maximum point before starting to drop. Not due to starvation or crowding or anything like that, simply because people are having fewer kids.

Even if it didn't, running out of room is about the last problem we'd face.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Have you been celebrating Overshoot Day with us, OP?

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

Harold Fjord posted:

Have you been celebrating Overshoot Day with us, OP?

Not yet I'm afraid. Sounds like fun times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've flown over northern Alberta and based on that I'm going to say: no, not for a long time.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Kingoffrogs posted:

What do you guys think? it's going to happen eventually, as all species have a carrying capacity that, when reached, further inhibits the growth of a particular population. Us humans, however, are unique in being that we have the ability to change our carrying capacity at a scale far greater than every other organism on Earth.

There are also enormous swathes of land that are still left either sparsely or entirely unpopulated today: The Amazon rainforest, the Tibetan Plateau, Xinjiang region of China, etc. These areas may be able to be terraformed (some already are, such as the Amazon Rainforest) in order to suit human habitation.

On the other hand, There is a great deal of land that is not suitable for the sustenance of any agriculture at all: in fact, only about 10% of the world's land is arable. Perhaps these territories could be terraformed and rendered viable for agriculture.

There are many parameters that us humans can modify in order to perpetuate a habitable environment - Temperature, soil, atmosphere, sunlight exposure, biome, etc. Will we be able to modify these parameters sufficiently in order to sustain our population growth? Or will the human race surpass it's carrying capacity, possibly leading to plague, famine, and war.

My opinion is, that we will eventually reach carrying capacity, but not surpass it in an eventful and destructive fashion. Human population growth rates have already slowed in many places, such as Europe and East Asia. The places that have high birth rates are still either agricultural/ hunter gatherer societies and have no/little access to contraception, along with little urbanization, which leads to lower birth rates. As these nations modernize and urbanize, growth rates will inevitably slow, and human ingenuity may increase our carrying capacity at a rate greater than our global population growth.

What do you guys think?

I think your a moron.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://youtu.be/QsBT5EQt348

Educational video for you OP.

The argument is that the current amount of people is caused by the transition from agriculture to industry, and that further industrialization will see a decline in the birth rate as people choose not to have kids.

We’ll never overpopulate because we’d get depressed and stop loving before then, basically.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/QsBT5EQt348

Educational video for you OP.

The argument is that the current amount of people is caused by the transition from agriculture to industry, and that further industrialization will see a decline in the birth rate as people choose not to have kids.

We’ll never overpopulate because we’d get depressed and stop loving before then, basically.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImRyPymRAM

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
We'll hit 10 billion then level off and drop, with most of the population growth (2+ billion) happening in a rapidly urbanizing Africa, which has the three largest metro areas on Earth by 2100. Hth op

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Apparently it's not even going to be a gradual dropoff, but rather a population collapse caused solely by birthrates with no violence required:

All of the Predictions Agree on One Thing: Humanity Peaks Soon https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/09/18/opinion/human-population-global-growth.html

We're under one billion by 2300

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tragicomic posted:

Apparently it's not even going to be a gradual dropoff, but rather a population collapse caused solely by birthrates with no violence required:

All of the Predictions Agree on One Thing: Humanity Peaks Soon https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/09/18/opinion/human-population-global-growth.html

We're under one billion by 2300

Too bad it still won't be fast enough to solve the problems caused by peak population.

Also we're going way under that long before 2300 because we'll probably nuke ourselves in the climate wars before this century is out. So birth rate fretting is kind of a moot point in the grand scheme of things.

011524_3
Jan 16, 2024
Extinction due to stagnation or Extinction due to lack of space (psychology)

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Are you calling us fat, OP? 🤨

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In addition to what everyone else said: agriculture is really not the bottleneck for anything anymore. Almost all worldwide agricultural production goes towards feeding livestock nowadays so we can have the luxury of eating 4 whole pigs, a wheel of cheese and 12 eggs a day. None of this is necessary (some might even say it's unhealthy) and we could probably cut global agricultural production in half by limiting livestock numbers and we would see a positive effect on health in developed countries from that. Food insecurity is mainly a result of allocating and distributing this massive overproduction in a very lovely way, i.e. prioritizing feeding pigs over feeding people.

e: also exotic fruits and biofuels are a huge waste too. Do you really need to eat a whole papaya every day? All this papaya eating is completely out of control

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 16, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CAN the earth sustain a European lifestyle for 10 billion people? No.

But can our global political system deliver the policies to draw down consumption and ramp up sustainable technologies?

Also no.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
human population -decrease- is now a bigger issue than overpopulation

it's not just europe/east asia: Latin American birth rates have plummeted over the last 20-30 yrs for example

011624_4
Jan 17, 2024
Is the Earth gonna run out of Time for us?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

011624_4 posted:

Is the Earth gonna run out of Time for us?
No, we'd need to go to the stars for that kind of runway. It takes time to travel in space, and it takes space to travel in Time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Typo posted:

human population -decrease- is now a bigger issue than overpopulation

it's not just europe/east asia: Latin American birth rates have plummeted over the last 20-30 yrs for example
Still growing at a greater year on year percentage than most of human history pre-industrialization. People in the places where that's not the case will either have to get used to people moving there or get used to the prosperity moving to where the people are.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Guavanaut posted:

Still growing at a greater year on year percentage than most of human history pre-industrialization. People in the places where that's not the case will either have to get used to people moving there or get used to the prosperity moving to where the people are.

I wouldn't be that pessimistic: it's not clear to me that higher population growth==lower standard of living in the modern world

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

No, just for you, OP.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

E: oops wrong forum

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kingoffrogs posted:

What do you guys think?

it ain't for you

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5OTyCYMH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Typo posted:

I wouldn't be that pessimistic: it's not clear to me that higher population growth==lower standard of living in the modern world

A Canadian bank just came out with a report suggesting we may be heading into a population trap. I guess we’ll find out.

https://www.nbc.ca/content/dam/bnc/taux-analyses/analyse-eco/etude-speciale/special-report_240115.pdf