Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm talking old video games. Did you play Defender? Brutal game.

Also, Ms Pac Man table top version is my vote for best video game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
tetris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

tetris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else

Was Tetris ever in the arcade?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

redshirt posted:

Sure was. I remember sucking at it for NZ twenty cents a pop.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

redshirt posted:

I'm talking old video games. Did you play Defender? Brutal game.

Also, Ms Pac Man table top version is my vote for best video game ever.

Defender seemed to have been built for some gentic mutant with seven fingers on their right hand. The one-button simplicity of New Rally-X was one of my all-time money-sink games.

BANG

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have a cool little mini console version of Asteroids and I love it.

The game obviously has the most basic graphics (it's like a souped up Pong, essentially), but whoever programmed the game physics and the randomness of the asteroids and the alien ships that appear, it's genius.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Arcade Tetris sucks because analog joysticks have way too much play to be fast enough at high levels.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I loved Defender as a kid but I tried it recently and man, I just don’t have those reflexes anymore.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Arcade Tetris sucks because analog joysticks have way too much play to be fast enough at high levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Y858742uY

:colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I loved Defender as a kid but I tried it recently and man, I just don’t have those reflexes anymore.

It was always super tough. You go play Space Invaders and feel like a champ, then burn a quarter in seconds in Defender.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The newish shopping center (at the time) near my parent’s house was a holy shrine to arcade games. Every summer was spent just hanging out at different places eating and playing arcade games.

There was a laundromat that had Centipede, Dig Dug, and a sit-down tabletop Ms. Pac-Man. An ice-cream shop/diner had Pac-Man and Rastan. My favorite place was Round Table Pizza, which had 1942, Crystal Castles, and Golden Axe. It ain’t no fun if there isn’t pizza grease all over the controls. Used to get real far on Crystal Castles.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

The newish shopping center (at the time) near my parent’s house was a holy shrine to arcade games. Every summer was spent just hanging out at different places eating and playing arcade games.

There was a laundromat that had Centipede, Dig Dug, and a sit-down tabletop Ms. Pac-Man. An ice-cream shop/diner had Pac-Man and Rastan. My favorite place was Round Table Pizza, which had 1942, Crystal Castles, and Golden Axe. It ain’t no fun if there isn’t pizza grease all over the controls. Used to get real far on Crystal Castles.

Did any of these places have Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe?

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There's a hotel in san Diego that had a 3D pacman game almost 35 years ago. Wonder if they still have it. :thunk:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Did any of these places have Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe?

There was a Circle K down the road that did have an Asteroids machine, but I only played it but one or two times.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

There was a Circle K down the road that did have an Asteroids machine, but I only played it but one or two times.

It was a tough game too and you often lost your quarter quickly.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

The arcade cabinet has a trackball yeah? :thunk:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

The arcade cabinet has a trackball yeah? :thunk:

Do you remember the awesome Track and Field game where you had to work that trackball like a motherfucker?

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

redshirt posted:

Do you remember the awesome Track and Field game where you had to work that trackball like a motherfucker?

No, no I don't. I think the first sports game the local place got was nba jam.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

No, no I don't. I think the first sports game the local place got was nba jam.

It was awesome. I think it was a decalathon and you had to complete each level to go on.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

redshirt posted:

It was awesome. I think it was a decalathon and you had to complete each level to go on.

I don't think they wanted to encourage people to go outside and do healthy crap. I mean Gauntlet yeah ok that's sort of outdoorsy.

They actually moved gauntlet over a little and got rid of Michael Jacksons Moonwalker for NBA JAM. I wonder what kind of creep ended up with that poo poo lol.

Overdog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 16, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
terrible video games thread is thataway buddy

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The kids science museum near me when I was growing up had a Lunar Lander machine set to FREE PLAY

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Someone’s always gotta be a show off

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

redshirt posted:

One of our neighbourhood stores had a Track and Field machine, with the three-button setup instead of a trackball.

But Spaceworld was video game heaven for an 80's kid in Auckland:

Underground, dark, noisy, the same carpet for a decade at least. The sit-in Star Wars machine alone must have made the owners rich as balls.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My dad had Asteroids and Space Invaders on his Atari 2600. I loved Asteroids. Very satisfying to play and had a gritty two-note soundtrack. Good times.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Kids these days who think Dark Souls is hard have never experienced Dragon's Lair.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Time Pilot was a great game and I RULED at it. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_OzRECVOk8

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

yes, TGM3 is a masterpiece.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Stoatbringer posted:

Kids these days who think Dark Souls is hard have never experienced Dragon's Lair.

I wouldn't say it's hard as much as it was sucking the money out of you. I beat it a few years back for the first time, and it was a pain. Dark souls is hard, dragon lair is, gently caress you how did you not know it was up down right right even though you couldn't know that yet.

E: oops on new reply

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
You really haven't played Asteroids or any of the old vector based Atari games unless you played them on a real cabinet. The way those lines shine in the low light of the arcade is just something you can't recreate in any emulator.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

some day I will buy myself a Xevious cabinet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

You really haven't played Asteroids or any of the old vector based Atari games unless you played them on a real cabinet. The way those lines shine in the low light of the arcade is just something you can't recreate in any emulator.

Yeah the Atari version was very chunky. Console version is super clean.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just built some diy arcades cause im having a midlife crisis

i wish i owned a super off road 3 player cabinet

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

emSparkly posted:

My mate has a Vectrex, and I envy him for it. Enough that I want to get him an UV frame and some matching overlays.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh ya the etch-a-sketch arcade version of asteroids in the old cabinet is loving gorgeous

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you've got the money, you can buy console versions of many games at Arcade1Up.

I got my Asteroids console there. It's not a full size console, but everything else about it is spot on.

So fun to play.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I played a game of Asteroids on the Atari one time for 4 hours. I was home sick, parents at work, so I just sat there and played. Since there was no Pause button, I'd simply make sure to stockpile new lives/ships, and just head off to the bathroom when needed. I'd get back and still have a handful of spare lives. Pretty certain I rolled the score.

Also, I played using my toes. No hands at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Konar posted:

The kids science museum near me when I was growing up had a Lunar Lander machine set to FREE PLAY

Lunar Lander is unironically the best vector game (suck it, Tempest). It's beautifully simple and intuitive but lets you challenge yourself if you want that high score by giving you varied goals. And the cabinet itself is gorgeous.

I just bought a copy of the Game Boy version that was only released in Japan. But they added a bunch of other levels beyond landing that aren't as good.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Grey Cat posted:

yes, TGM3 is a masterpiece.

drat right - I so badly want to see the sequel on a PC, but that feels like some big Monkey's Paw poo poo at this point.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It's a bad interface, but it's part of learning TGM3 (for better or worse). You can absolutely play with it at the highest levels, but it makes me just want a keyboard tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What was that arcade game where you had to pedal a bike to control an in-game flying machine?