Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

super sweet best pal posted:

What was that arcade game where you had to pedal a bike to control an in-game flying machine?

Prop Cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
A retro arcade has opened up near my home. $10 per hour, all games free. Lots of the old classics.

We also had a pinball museum with over 1,000 machines, but COVID took it down.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Genesplicer posted:

A retro arcade has opened up near my home. $10 per hour, all games free. Lots of the old classics.

We also had a pinball museum with over 1,000 machines, but COVID took it down.

Pittsburgh has an awesome pinball museum. I enjoyed it greatly. As far as arcade, I'll play a sitdown Crazy Taxi until my fingers bleed. I miss that one specifically.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

super sweet best pal posted:

What was that arcade game where you had to pedal a bike to control an in-game flying machine?

Prop Cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhnQWDYaVA

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I like Joust

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I would gently caress up some Galaga

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
If we're talking Prop Cycle then I'm taking this to be a general arcade thread.

I had some time to kill in town last week so I spent an hour at the arcade. There were a few pinball machines there. New ones, there was a Godzilla table, a 007 table and a Mandalorean table. I can confirm that I'm still rubbish at pinball.

I also played what I thought was a racing game but ended up being a story based anime road trip game where you just go on a Sunday drive down a Tokyo motorway while some high school characters discussed things at you? I can't remember what it was called. You could upgrade your car between chapters but the machine was too small for adult sized me so I didn't play past chapter 1 (it was pay per chapter and there were like 6 stories you could choose from).

Will probably pop back in tomorrow evening to get the name of the machine.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There was also a Taiko no Tatsujin machine there which I hadn't played before. That game owns, especially since I'm an unfit slob who would immediately break every bone in his body before dying of cardiac arrest on a DDR machine these days.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Beartaco posted:

There was also a Taiko no Tatsujin machine there which I hadn't played before. That game owns, especially since I'm an unfit slob who would immediately break every bone in his body before dying of cardiac arrest on a DDR machine these days.

Taiko is loving rad. I wish i could find something like that or sound voltex nearby.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Prop Cycle

Thanks, that thing was cool.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Well, this thread is making me look up half-remember games from 30 years ago.

Specifically TIME TRAVELLER (1991)-A holographic game I never played, because it cost a fortune compared to everything else in the arcade.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9958AbBMG9w

There was also another game using this tech, but for some reason it had drawn sprites and was just a sub-SFII fighting game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC6yP425HEM

According to Wikipedia

quote:

It was one of Sega's earliest attempts at creating a competitive fighting game along with Dark Edge, after the success of Capcom's Street Fighter II.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
There's an upcoming auction of pinball machines and videogame cabinets, if anyone is interested...

It's in southern California, if that might matter...

https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/auctions/catalog/id/124

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I used to be very good at Frontline. What?! You have to turn a dial and push it down repeatedly at the same time?! That single control motherfucker was a beast!

I liked Sinistar too. RUN COWARD!!!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I HUNGER!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I once held the world record at Gorf. :smuggo:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Tempest used to be my jam. During lunch time we had just enough time to go to the arcade, play a few games and then book it back to school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMto2HJJSSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Les Os posted:

I would gently caress up some Galaga

This is the first machine I look for in any arcade.

My fav vector game is Star Wars. The trench run rules.