Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Fisher has overstock on Moldex 2200 N95 respirators, two hundred and forty of them for thirty‐five dollars.

e: They’re actually the same price per respirator by the pack as by the case, so the only reason to buy in bulk is breaks on shipping.

reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao i got the same email around the same time

thanks

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

toggle posted:

pox got a firmware update by the looks

Just like some vaccines give your immune system a weakened virus to train against, COVID is giving some other viruses a weakened immune system to train against.

Nature in balance.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Heads up if you use ~PAXCESS~ there is a section that it wants you to select that will give Pfizer and their "vendors" your medical information. If you unselect it will say OOP HOLD ON THERE BUDDY and makes it seem like you have to consent to this poo poo to get anything.

but even if you don't select it you they'll still give you the voucher. dont give pfizer your poo poo.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/68828634

quote:

Anna Shackley, one of Britain's most talented young cyclists, has been forced to retire aged 22 because of heart issues.

The Scot is the reigning British Under-23 road race champion and won bronze in the under-23 event at last year's World Championships in Glasgow.

She was diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia in January and after further tests has been advised to retire.

This keep on happening for some weird reason.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Rochallor posted:

:rip:

quote:

To accomplish this research, participant information is first de-identified by eMed so that it cannot be linked to any particular person, and is then shared with UMass researchers.

To have your information removed from research, click this link. You will have until May 31st, 2024 to request the removal of your information.

Thank you,
The Home Test to Treat program

so.... should we all do that opt-out? so down the road you don't see academic articles published about how pax-maxxers ruined everything and need to be mitigated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This but Elon is the government, and the drugs are Paxlovid, and you are the children.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The kids can't help it, they just see that [subscribe] button on social media and slam it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That’s how the online transgenders get you. “Like and subscribe” is the code for receiving estrogen or testosterone in the mail.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/jmcrookston/status/1780464529131921825

We always suspected this, but it's nice to finally have it validated

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

maxwellhill posted:

so.... should we all do that opt-out? so down the road you don't see academic articles published about how pax-maxxers ruined everything and need to be mitigated

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I'm fine with having the small amount of data I provided to the program fed into good-faith research if that's going to happen, especially if it's a study that's like "hey look how much demand there was when people actually had access, maybe it should be more available" (I know: lmao), but I wasn't able to read between the lines about how it'll be used.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/68828634

This keep on happening for some weird reason.

Covid stealing souls

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The USDA is still refusing to share any genome sequencing from the sick cows with bird flu with any of the other organizations or putting it in public.

I'm sure they have our best interests in mind by concealing it!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
they don't want to cause a panic bc that would be dangerous, buncha people just panicking everywhere

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

The USDA is still refusing to share any genome sequencing from the sick cows with bird flu with any of the other organizations or putting it in public.

I'm sure they have our best interests in mind by concealing it!

People keep renaming the git branch to feat/bovid

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

genericnick posted:

People keep renaming the git branch to feat/bovid

what does this mean? just marketing/pr push?

glad we’ve got the tools

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

no lube so what posted:

what does this mean? just marketing/pr push?

glad we’ve got the tools

I made it up

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
dunno if yall have seen this or talked about it, but i don't know if it's legit good news or https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2024/04/15/vaccine-breakthrough-means-no-more-chasing-strains

the paper they cite inline leads to a dead link and i can't find the paper on the pnas site directly either. which probably says enough as it is. it also seems to be in animal trials stage still. idk maybe there's hope

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

harrygomm posted:

dunno if yall have seen this or talked about it, but i don't know if it's legit good news or https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2024/04/15/vaccine-breakthrough-means-no-more-chasing-strains

the paper they cite inline leads to a dead link and i can't find the paper on the pnas site directly either. which probably says enough as it is. it also seems to be in animal trials stage still. idk maybe there's hope

link opened for me right away.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2321170121

Guy in the article identified as the lead doesn’t have it listed on his cv webpage though (course the latest paper there was from 2015 so he’s either a crank or really bad at updating his poo poo. or uses orcid like everyone else anymore.
edit: yep, orcid. though this one isn’t there yet.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Apr 17, 2024

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Yesterday Katelyn Jenner of "Your Friendly Local Epidemiologist" posted a summary of next-generation vaccine research, though they appear to use Bastian's reviews as a primary reference. The overall picture is still that relatively small potential improvements like mucosal vaccines should not be expected in the west for at least the next couple of years, and "variant proof" vaccines still appear to be a pipe-dream.

I check Jenner's blog occasionally because they often have useful summaries about the pandemic compiled from various data sources. However they also showcase the viewpoint of one category of mainstream post-pandemic public health experts along the lines of Osterholm and Wachter. These are people who recognize and will acknowledge the significant ongoing COVID public health burden but who's takeaway from the pandemic is that public health measures were too restrictive and more "liberal" approaches might be better in future. It's a weird balancing act compared to the more straightforward viewpoint that COVID was never a big deal, esp once the first-generation vaccines were available, and that virtually all mitigations were misguided. These are the two viewpoint options going forward though, absolutely no-one with any relevance in the public sphere is arguing that next time we should lock down harder and nip things in the bud.

harrygomm posted:

Being in animal trials means even if it works out it's likely over 5 years away, given the recent very slow rate of development.

A bigger issue is that even producing current generation COVID vaccines let alone developing new next-generation versions might in fact be economically infeasible, as Novavax sliding towards bankruptcy and Pfizer's recent vaccine division losses suggest.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

These are the two viewpoint options going forward though, absolutely no-one with any relevance in the public sphere is arguing that next time we should lock down harder and nip things in the bud.

If bird flu end up having sustained human to human transmission, we're all boned lmao

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Nocturtle posted:

A bigger issue is that even producing current generation COVID vaccines let alone developing new next-generation versions might in fact be economically infeasible, as Novavax sliding towards bankruptcy and Pfizer's recent vaccine division losses suggest.

motherfucker

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

NeonPunk posted:

If bird flu end up having sustained human to human transmission, we're all boned lmao

I know how this ends vegas blows up in a nuke and the Plague Satan is killed

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Sadly, the Ice Cream Cone Coot has been found to carry avian flu, and should not under any circumstances be pet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) gets sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.

lmao

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Oracle posted:

link opened for me right away.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2321170121

Guy in the article identified as the lead doesn’t have it listed on his cv webpage though (course the latest paper there was from 2015 so he’s either a crank or really bad at updating his poo poo. or uses orcid like everyone else anymore.
edit: yep, orcid. though this one isn’t there yet.

oh weird , opens for me now too. thanks

Nocturtle posted:

Being in animal trials means even if it works out it's likely over 5 years away, given the recent very slow rate of development.

unfortunate but expected

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Viral hepatitis is a silent killer. It can’t be eliminated if it isn’t tracked

quote:

Before the Covid-19 pandemic, viral hepatitis killed more people in the United States than all 60 other reportable infectious diseases combined, including HIV, pneumonia, and tuberculosis.

It will just have to settle for second place.

Oh no wait, with the magic of “reportable”, it can still be on top.

quote:

Surveillance data are essential to guide cost-effective, equitable strategies for preventing and treating infectious diseases.

Yeah, we don’t do that anymore.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean my country is a bit of a poo poo hole, but goddamn, one in six, laid out by food.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1780696836757733765

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Random rumor PSA I ran into on BluSky:

quote:

I work at a chain retail pharmacy and I have *A VERY IMPORTANT PSA!!!!! *

If you’re eligible/due for a covid booster get it IMMEDIATELY. All pharmacies will be returning current stock by early May and we will not have ANY Covid vaccines until fall (most likely September)

Spread the word!!

And from my understanding this will be across the nation. It seems manufacturers will not have any product left with good dating. In other words this poo poo is all expiring and they aren’t manufacturing more.

This is what happens with flu vaccines. They are manufactured for seasonal use (August - April) and we do not carry any vaccines through the summer. It seems that going forward covid vaccines will be treated the same.

It's relevant me because I have some family travel coming up in June and wanted to make sure the more vulnerable person in our crew was boosted before we went.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/BirdieBittern/status/1780638610691178680

They scrubbed the article pretty quickly but the internet never forget https://t.co/f0rudleNdD

quote:

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been sweeping through North American deer herds since it was first detected at a captive cervid facility in Wyoming in 1967. In all the decades since, there’s never been a documented and confirmed instance of the always-fatal neurological disease jumping the species barrier, from cervids into humans. According to a new study, published last week in the journal Neurology, that long-discussed and frequently dreaded transmission of CWD from hunter-harvested deer into human beings might have actually occurred in 2022.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I feel at this point it's prudent to ask if we are feeding the chickens cow poo poo

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

text editor posted:

I feel at this point it's prudent to ask if we are feeding the chickens cow poo poo

Piles of manure usually get warm from all the composting going on deep inside. Chickens like to sit on top of those piles because it's warm.

It's just the cycle of life

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the chain of transmission is too long and inefficient, just cut out the middleman and put poultry litter in the human food supply imo

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Apr 07            -        -        -      + 683     ↓ 9.8%       683
Mar 31            -        -      720       + 37    ↓ 22.6%       757
Mar 24            -      916       51       + 11    ↓ 18.4%       978
Mar 17        1,100       75       16        + 8    ↓ 17.1%     1,199
Mar 10           54       35       12        + 1    ↓ 12.9%     1,446
Thru 2023        30       20       52       + 14              177,352
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

Note from state dashboard posted today:

"Due to a processing delay that began on April 5, 2024, some of the emergency department visits and hospitalization data may be incomplete for the most recent week."

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 07            -        -        -      + 250    ↓ 15.5%       250
Mar 31            -        -      257       + 39    ↓ 27.6%       296
Mar 24            -      360       -2       + 51    ↓ 12.4%       409
Mar 17          402       65        -          -    ↓ 16.0%       467
Mar 10           59        -        -          -    ↓ 13.7%       556
Thru 2023        50        -        -          -               60,626

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 07            -        -        -      + 133          -       133
Mar 31            -        -      159       - 26    ↓ 10.7%       133
Mar 24            -      191      -41        - 1    ↓ 24.4%       149
Mar 17          191        6        -          -     ↑ 2.1%       197
Mar 10          -57        -        -          -    ↓ 15.4%       193
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               17,781
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 07            -        -        -      + 693     ↓ 9.2%       693
Mar 31            -        -      763          -    ↓ 16.8%       763
Mar 24            -      917        -          -    ↓ 10.9%       917
Mar 17        1,029        -        -          -     ↓ 7.5%     1,029
Mar 10            -        -        -          -    ↓ 17.6%     1,113
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -              116,081
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Apr 07            -        -        -       + 63    ↓ 18.2%        63
Mar 31            -        -       77          -    ↓ 31.3%        77
Mar 24            -      112        -          -    ↑ 23.1%       112
Mar 17           91        -        -          -          -        91
Mar 10            -        -        -          -    ↓ 35.0%        91
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               13,041
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Apr 07            -        -        -          -         -          -
Mar 31            -        -        -       + 17    ↑ 70.0%        17
Mar 24            -        -        2        + 8    ↓ 37.5%        10
Mar 17            -       14        2          -    ↓ 27.3%        16
Mar 10           19        3        -          -    ↑ 15.8%        22
Thru 2023         6        3        1          -                1,937
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Uhh, is that right Zantie? Cuz that's a big rise in death when everything else is on the decline

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Many such cases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
John’s face in the thumbnail detracts from the post.