Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My friend is also a very petite woman with very dark skin, which was no doubt also a factor

Anecdotally, a small brown women does get a more poo poo for masking than a tall white guy. As expected. The culture is foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I had biphasic tendencies pre-covid but it all got a lot weirder in November. Sometimes I feel like I'm living through the process in Annihilation and just slowly becoming a covid pustule.

i've had the annihilation ost on loop continuously since February 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wa wa wa wom

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Becoming COVID man plastered to the wall in the pool

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife's 100 year old grandmother had a fall at her house and they decided that she couldn't live there any longer, so she's in a home. I honestly don't expect her to make it another six months what with covid controls being gone.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

dxt posted:

How are the straps on the 1870+s? Are they the good kind like the 9210+ or the bad like the 9205+?

edit: It's the bad 9205 kind of straps. Still a hell of a price

Yeah. I've never even tried the 1870s, and I've never had a strap breakage issue with 9205s, but if the rubber bands are old enough I'm sure they become useless. Definitely prefer 9210s. I just keep an eye out for deals on all auras, since masking is forever now

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ColdBlooded posted:

This is honestly my biggest (and only) Covid-related fear at this point; I'm the only one who masks at work naturally and while my boss is cool and my colleagues haven't given me any grief about it or anything either, I'm worried some big wig will get Extremely Mad about me wearing an Aura and I'll be first on the chopping block because of it.

This is from a few pages back but my approach to rationalizing this concern in my own workplace is that I know everyone else is constantly taking sick days and I am always coming in, even to the point where my boss has mentioned "oh you don't really seem to get sick". Gotta be worth something!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/amandalhu/status/1781002549128294413?s=46

edit: not shipping to the US, but to France Ireland and UK? This is war

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Apr 18, 2024

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Has anyone with Kaiser insurance been able to get them to cover a second booster after getting one this past fall?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just wanted to give a shout out to a band that asks concert attendees to mask and has an on-point mask game.

https://twitter.com/glassbeachband/status/1780260223409586635

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

They appear to have a US store so I would assume they'll be available there

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

This gets a heck yeah for me! They’re my favourite mask to wear!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Heh, I have a modification in my genome that alters CD209 transcription.
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4804803
This on top of the Neanderthal bennies rules. Too bad the microplastics saturating our existence are probably why I'm sterile.

I'm hoping to get my tenth vaccination soon, but I need to find a new pharmacy.

Also, I'm pretty pissed at myself for missing the last window to get pax from test2treat.

Steve Yun posted:

friend is going out having threesome sex while wearing an N95

that’s some dedication I didn’t even know was possible

Mouth stuff is half the fun. This is basically a cheap way of doubling half the fun someone can have. It's like loving one whole person half as effectively twice.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im watching assault on precinct 13 and one of the characters has covid lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As syphilis cases among US newborns soar, doctors group advises more screening during pregnancy

Why don’t we just tell parents to wash their hands? :confused:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I forgot my condom in the car, it'll just be a minute.

This shirt is just as effective as a condom, the CDC says so.

According to risk levels posted on the CDC website, I'm currently considering wearing a condom, and decided against it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I have made a personal public health decision to treat my syphilis with malaria, a course of action that won Julius Wagner‐Jauregg the Nobel Prize in Medicine.”

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Clearly those newborns made some unfortunate personal health decisions and are going to need to take personal responsibility for them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

holy poo poo i just realized

WHEN did people panic

outside of the very brief period where boomers were running around with makeshift or scam PPE products in public, NO one panicked; there was no mass panic to prevent.

panic buying does not count, that's just hustling. but sanitiser and TP are all that people remember as "the panic".

The lines around the block at gun stores were a rather foreboding look at where people’s minds went (and a good bet as to the sudden increase in gun violence during 21-22).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

The lines around the block at gun stores were a rather foreboding look at where people’s minds went (and a good bet as to the sudden increase in gun violence during 21-22).

I'm not sure standing in an orderly queue outside a gun shop because you're thinking about how you're going to need to kill your neighbors counts as panic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Evidence from Whole Genome Sequencing of Aerosol Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 almost Five Hours after Hospital Room Turnover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53fZTbKHG0

It’s not open access, so enjoy all that you can read as a filthy member of the general public.

quote:

Highlights

• How long is airborne SARS-CoV-2 infectious after an infected person leaves the room? Our work suggests over 4 hours under certain conditions.
  • The half-life for survival of SARS-CoV-2 in aerosols is 1-3 hours based on the ability to culture virus in cells. However, it is less clear how long airborne SARS-CoV-2 remains capable of infecting people.
  • We showed that genetically identical SARS-CoV-2 infected two patients who were admitted to a hospital room 1 hour, 43 minutes and 4 hours, 45 minutes after discharge of an asymptomatic infected patient.

Abstract

Experimental evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 remains viable within aerosols with a half-life of approximately 3 hours; however, it remains unclear how long airborne SARS-CoV-2 can transmit infection. Whole genome sequencing during an outbreak suggested in-room transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to two patients admitted nearly 2 and 5 hours, respectively, after discharge of an asymptomatic infected patient. These findings suggest that airborne SARS-CoV-2 may transmit infection for over 4 hours, even in a hospital setting.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Platystemon posted:

quote:

We showed that genetically identical SARS-CoV-2 infected two patients who were admitted to a hospital room 1 hour, 43 minutes and 4 hours, 45 minutes after discharge of an asymptomatic infected patient.

it's some dr. mengele poo poo that casual observation is all that is done about this

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
goode thread on a good article

https://twitter.com/RageSheen/status/1781052910165746009

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oracle posted:

Wasn't that less a reaction to Covid, and more a reaction to the BLM protests?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

https://twitter.com/RageSheen/status/1781052990117568977

Preaching to the choir here but it is genuinely unbelievable how big of a failure the covid vaccines were on a societal level (even if they're not the cure-all that we were promised medicinally). Companies are going broke charging the government $200 a shot or whatever, barely anybody is getting vaccinated even when it's still kind of free**, and all kinds of places have signs telling you to GET YOUR FLU SHOT. This is a virus that probably has 1% the death toll of covid.

The vaccines weren't even that politicized, really! There was a loud minority of anti-vaxxers but most Trump voters got the shots!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Wasn't that less a reaction to Covid, and more a reaction to the BLM protests?

All the ammo was already gone in March.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
remember the mass graves on that NYC island? i wonder who ended up in those. you sure don't hear much about that

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
wow the lockdowns really did a number on britain

https://twitter.com/JimBethell/status/1780230698885898259

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Baddog posted:

All the ammo was already gone in March.

Went and checked to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. It was both. There was a spike in gun sales both when Covid was declared an emergency and when the protests started.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1781211880364613645

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That's good news! I always thought it was silly to have to get a doctor note to give your boss to get a sick day, now they can just simply tell their boss they're taking a sick day off without having to jump through hoops.

... that's what they are doing right?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Preaching to the choir here but it is genuinely unbelievable how big of a failure the covid vaccines were on a societal level (even if they're not the cure-all that we were promised medicinally). Companies are going broke charging the government $200 a shot or whatever, barely anybody is getting vaccinated even when it's still kind of free**, and all kinds of places have signs telling you to GET YOUR FLU SHOT. This is a virus that probably has 1% the death toll of covid.

The vaccines weren't even that politicized, really! There was a loud minority of anti-vaxxers but most Trump voters got the shots!

People don't want to get vaccinated again because the vaccine hit them so hard the first time they feel they might as well get sick since they've got partial immunity, or worse, they think the vaccine was a magic bullet that makes them invincible forever.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Brexit truly was the gift that keeps on giving :discourse:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

what the gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't expect doctors to refer for the diagnosis of "looks like your immune system got imploded by the second-order effects of social collapse" but I do expect them to give actionable advice (like wearing a mask) since that's an individual intervention that is cheap, accessible, and effective.

why are you expecting anything from doctors

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rochallor posted:

I think when moderna started running commercials it really turned a lot of people off

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zugzwang posted:

Someone should tell all these birds to stay 6' apart

it's fine, we've pushed CO2 concentration so high that insect populations have quite literally collapsed, fomenting a subsequent downward pressure on insect eating birds and bird eating birds

see we're very responsible, thank you exxon

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait I could be wrong but after checking how paid sick leave works in the UK, doesn't that just straight up mean that employers will never have to pay sick leave ever again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol

UK voters looked at the USA's dysfunction and said "I want that"