Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

came here to post this lmao. gently caress you, get back to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Wait I could be wrong but after checking how paid sick leave works in the UK, doesn't that just straight up mean that employers will never have to pay sick leave ever again?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

maxwellhill posted:

holy poo poo i just realized

WHEN did people panic

outside of the very brief period where boomers were running around with makeshift or scam PPE products in public, NO one panicked; there was no mass panic to prevent.

panic buying does not count, that's just hustling. but sanitiser and TP are all that people remember as "the panic".

Early february I had a cart full of lysol and bleach and ran into a redneck looking couple who had a cart full of rice and beans. We looked at each other’s cart and shared a knowing nod.

I wonder what side of the “covid = mild” spectrum they fall on now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

maxwellhill posted:

holy poo poo i just realized

WHEN did people panic

outside of the very brief period where boomers were running around with makeshift or scam PPE products in public, NO one panicked; there was no mass panic to prevent.

panic buying does not count, that's just hustling. but sanitiser and TP are all that people remember as "the panic".

*spongebob voice* Imagination

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I'm still very much of the mindset that concerts shouldn't be taking place because we're in an airborne pandemic, but it's nice to see activism like this and that more and more artists are understanding that the current "let's pretend everything is fine and do nothing" model is unsustainable.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/clean-air-club-organizing-covid-safer-shows

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I'm still very much of the mindset that concerts shouldn't be taking place because we're in an airborne pandemic, but it's nice to see activism like this and that more and more artists are understanding that the current "let's pretend everything is fine and do nothing" model is unsustainable.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/clean-air-club-organizing-covid-safer-shows

I got one of their adorable logo stickers by donating to their efforts :3:

they are pretty popular on social media, i dunno how that translates but yeah they do great work

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Like andropov in 1981 talking about the need for increased labor discipline

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

NeonPunk posted:

Went and checked to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. It was both. There was a spike in gun sales both when Covid was declared an emergency and when the protests started.

another thing to make sure i and everyone remember right: did anyone keep handy any receipts on when the first/last schools reopened in the US? schools were the final (and in some cases only) thing that genuinely "locked down" (*still not even what lockdown means) by staying closed so let's see how long that lasted. i want to say it barely made it til the end of the first year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
On that note i'd like to also turn everyone's attention to the lovely Wikipedia article on "COVID-19 lockdowns":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns

and have a fun time looking for examples of how the United States in specific locked down! spoilers, you won't find any

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the near future, people will write that the lockdowns extended even to the present date.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

acknowledging the existence of disease is illegal

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

In the near future, people will write that the lockdowns extended even to the present date.

Lockdowns that never began can never end

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Vesi posted:

wow the lockdowns really did a number on britain

https://twitter.com/JimBethell/status/1780230698885898259

It's been before but these kinds of labor market numbers are likely the best way to get a sense of the population level COVID disease burden going forward. They don't have the significant uncertainties of PASC-specific research, esp as it's essentially impossible going-forward to identify a no-COVID-ever control group. These surveys are also relatively less likely to be gamed like hospitalization rates etc. For English-language sources the US BLS CPS survey data and the UK ONS seem to be the best or most easily available.

Correcting for the change in UK working age (16-64) population between 2020 and 2024, the rate of economic inactivity due to "long-term sickness" increased from 4.8% of the working age population to 6.6%. Attributing this to the pandemic suggests that ~1.8% of the UK working age population was impacted enough to have difficulty working.

I've posted these plots before, but for comparison BLS CPS data suggests the pandemic led to an additional 0.5-0.75% of the total American working age population self-reporting some kind of disability:

The two labor surveys ask about different things which might explain why the absolute value of the changes are different. However the pandemic-era trends look very similar. It would be nice if they stop going up, forget about returning to the pre-pandemic baseline.

While I consider these plots to be fairly dire it occurs to me that policy-makers and the politically powerful would probably see them as a big win, to the extent they think about COVID at all which is doubtful. They ended pandemic mitigations and returned to business as usual, and the cost was only ~1-2% of the working age population getting hit with significant long-term impacts + the few million vulnerable people that died. I suspect even the Chinese state administrators would see these numbers as justification for ending the zero-COVID policy.

Apr 7, 2003

Vesi posted:

wow the lockdowns really did a number on britain

https://twitter.com/JimBethell/status/1780230698885898259

oi, virus nicked me immune system

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is there anyone left in UK politics who understands literally anything other than "austrian hard" or "austrian harder" ?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sounds like all these long-term disabled folks need to stop over-medicalising the everyday challenges and worries of life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1634428956974944261

thank u cum notes :thumbsup:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they will just increase the requirements to be disabled

simple

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2024/04/17/two-veterinarians-hundreds-of-miles-apart-solved-a-cow-sickness-whodunit/

quote:

It appeared to be a problem with the food.

In February, dairy cattle in multiple herds in northern Texas were suddenly producing less milk, and what they gave was abnormal and thick.

And the typically voracious eaters had seemingly lost their appetites.

For weeks in March, veterinarian Dr. Barb Petersen sought an answer. She talked to dairy owners and exchanged notes with fellow vets in the panhandle of Texas. She submitted numerous samples to labs that tested for more than 200 potential causes.

“Any fluid you can collect from a live animal, I collected it,” said Petersen, who was raised on a dairy farm near Davenport, Iowa. “As did many others. There were so many of us at the same time texting each other and trying to figure this out.”

She started messaging Dr. Drew Magstadt, who she had studied alongside at Iowa State University years before. He now works at the ISU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory — a preeminent national animal lab in Ames — and researches infectious disease in cattle.

When the voluminous amount of testing in Texas failed to find any clues, Magstadt and Petersen concluded that a likely cause was ill-made food.

“The affected cattle were very high-producing dairy cows, and they are on a race-car ration,” Magstadt said. “If you mess with that a little bit, it can cause problems.”

Petersen agreed to send Magstadt some samples of the feed and animals for testing.

But then the cats started dying.

Barn cats are common on farms. They kill rodents, provide companionship and need little help to survive.

Some dairy farmers also feed them milk from their cows, and sick cows can shed viruses in their milk.

“A colleague of mine, he told me, ‘You know what’s strange? I went to one of my dairies last week, and all their cats were missing. I couldn’t figure it out — the cats usually come to my vet truck,’ ” Petersen recalled. “And then someone called me and said half of his cats had passed away without warning, and so then all the alarm bells start going off in your head.”

The cats had died from swollen brains, a potential result of influenza. They didn’t have rabies.

Outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza have plagued poultry producers in the United States since early 2022 and have led to the culling of more than 90 million domestic birds in backyard and commercial flocks. It is often transmitted by wild, migrating birds.

The virus had never been known to infect cattle in the country, and so the potential for it to have sickened the Texas cattle seemed highly unlikely, Magstadt thought.

It would be a “zebra,” Petersen said, which in medical parlance can refer to a surprising, exotic diagnosis.

Yet Magstadt immediately tested Petersen’s milk samples for influenza A — which most commonly infects birds — before investigating the feed. He thought the testing would merely rule out bird flu as a potential cause, but instead it confirmed it.

“I was incredibly surprised,” Magstadt said.

Further testing and retesting over days confirmed that the virus is the type that has been driving the poultry outbreaks, with an official confirmation on March 25.
The ISU Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory tests for a variety of animal illnesses. (Photo by Jared Strong/Iowa Capital Dispatch)

Lmao, we only found it in the first place because some doctors just simply wanted to rule out bird flu because they were puzzling over a mystery illness.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Only figuring it out because all the loving cats died is terrifying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

Only figuring it out because all the loving cats died is terrifying.

Bird flu 🤝 Minamata Disease

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guess the date of this post about cycling.

quote:

I got a 3M half mask + P100 filters from Amazon on Monday because gently caress giving up my last good days of summer to smoke.

September 16, 2020

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Nocturtle posted:

Correcting for the change in UK working age (16-64) population between 2020 and 2024, the rate of economic inactivity due to "long-term sickness" increased from 4.8% of the working age population to 6.6%. Attributing this to the pandemic suggests that ~1.8% of the UK working age population was impacted enough to have difficulty working.

attributing them all to that of all things? why? haven't you considered instead the universal fact that nobody wants to work anymore?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1779480889942032719

His brain has such a low coefficient of drag that reality slides right off of it.

Bonus: the Duality of Internet Commenters

quote:

Those variants are still out there and are randomly causing ICUs to flood with COVID cases, Musk. You loving moron. You gormless muppet. :chloe:

quote:

Did they expect the diseases to stick around after vaccines?

The gently caress do they think the vaccines are for?

Nobody questions where polio went….

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Apr 20, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

maxwellhill posted:

On that note i'd like to also turn everyone's attention to the lovely Wikipedia article on "COVID-19 lockdowns":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns

and have a fun time looking for examples of how the United States in specific locked down! spoilers, you won't find any

453 days of lockdowns here in California. Lockdowns of what, I am not sure. It does not specify.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Restaurants were legally able to open in again in May of 2020, but you couldn't go to one of those restaurants without being reminded that you were risking your health and the health of the workers. That's the definition of "lockdown" to a lot of people - anything reminding you of the risk of disease is oppression, not the existence of the disease itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
still trying to remember when schools reopened

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

schools literally never closed

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

maxwellhill posted:

still trying to remember when schools reopened

We had high school athletes dropping dead on the field in mid/late 2020. So I guess they were back in full force for the 20-21 school year.

Apr 7, 2003

jetz0r posted:

We had high school athletes dropping dead on the field in mid/late 2020. So I guess they were back in full force for the 20-21 school year.

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/wpial-reveals-2020-football-playoff-brackets/

quote:

WPIAL reveals 2020 football playoff brackets

By: Chris Harlan
Saturday, October 24, 2020 | 7:47 PM

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Schools varied widely depending on location, even within states. Georgia schools went back within weeks and played musical chairs to keep their exposure down and masking was nigh nonexistent. New York was remote for quite awhile (18 months, went back in August ‘21) California went beck in March 2021. I believe both went back to remote during the deadly winter ‘21 delta surge over the Christmas holiday but California again returned in January 22. LAUSD went further and pretty much banned remote learning except for a very few kids in alternate learning programs. Chicago went back in spring 21 as well. The convoluted rules for closure:

quote:

Dropping their original demand that the district would suspend in-person learning when the citywide test positivity rate surpasses three percent, the CTU now accepts a convoluted health metric whereby the district would only “pause in-person learning for 14 days” if the citywide test positivity rate increases for 7 consecutive days, with each day being at least 15 percent higher than the rate one week prior, and the seventh day ten percent or greater. All district schools would reopen after 14 days or when those same criteria are no longer met, whichever is later. Under this absurd and criminal scheme, as long as the test positivity rate increases slowly enough, it could reach 100 percent and the district would stay open!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

every school was open Because they all had special education / needs kids coming in full time . also remote is still open school.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

every school was open Because they all had special education / needs kids coming in full time . also remote is still open school.

I assumed we only meant in person school. Remote school everyone was back by fall 2020. Our local schools opened up in spring 2021 for whoever wanted to come in, you could choose hybrid or full time, they continued this in fall, told people to stay home after Thanksgiving break and went back full remote for the holidays, then went back to hybrid for 2022. Everyone had to go back in person fall 22 and masking was optional but I think they were still enforcing the five day quarantine if you were positive (though they weren’t testing at school). That’s when my kid got got and the doctor at the clinic tried to discourage me from getting her tested because she’d have to miss school if she were positive and I was livid because that attitude is how my kid just got sick!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Washington Post, 5 January 2022: Opinion: Teachers unions are in the wrong on covid-19. Democrats must force them back to work.

quote:

The Chicago Teachers Union’s vote to return to remote learning over what it says are unsafe conditions due to covid-19, forcing the city’s schools to close on Wednesday, not only defies reason; it’s also an assault on the well-being of children. City, state and national Democrats should act to bring vaccinated teachers back to work and prevent future unjustified work stoppages.

While the Chicago union says it wants reasonable safety measures implemented, here are the facts: 91 percent of the Chicago Public Schools staff is fully vaccinated. Data clearly show that those fully vaccinated are extremely unlikely to be hospitalized with covid-19, even as the omicron variant sweeps across the nation. CPS requires indoor masking and is also distributing high-quality N95 masks in its schools. In other words, fully vaccinated teachers are well-protected against contracting serious illness.

It’s also undisputed that remote learning is severely hurting children, especially those from low-income families, which make up the vast majority of students attending Chicago public schools. That’s one reason the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that schools teach children in person — an advisory it has not revised in light of the omicron variant. Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot reiterated concerns about disruptions to education at a late-night news conference on Tuesday, saying “achievement gaps are real and they’re affecting kids of color at an exponential rate.”

One might think such an impact on children would cause alarm among teachers. Apparently not.

This is a national issue, as teachers unions throughout the country debate whether to return to work as winter breaks conclude. Many unions, if not most, are hesitant about returning to large urban school districts in blue cities and states. That means the responsibility for addressing the crisis falls directly on Democratic politicians.

City leaders can help children by staying firm in the face of union pressure to go remote. Lightfoot is an ardent progressive, but she has been clear about the need for in-person schooling. She has said she will place teachers who don’t come back to school Wednesday on no-pay status. Illinois state law holds that teachers cannot strike while a collective bargaining agreement is in place, which is the case in Chicago. That means Lightfoot and the school district could go to court to force the union to return or pay substantial penalties for its act. They should consider doing that if the matter is not resolved quickly.

Nationally, Democrats should also take steps to forestall other unions from acting similarly. The federal government appropriated more than $200 billion in pandemic relief packages to finance schools’ ability to make in-person instruction safe. House and Senate Democrats should condition that money on keeping children in schools so long as districts follow CDC guidelines for maintaining a safe workplace. That would put them on the side of safety, and parents, and show recalcitrant unions that they have no friends who will back them as they use unwarranted fear to get more time off for their members.

Every person deserves a safe workplace, and all school districts are working to provide that. Children also deserve a quality education, and we know that only comes from in-person instruction. The Chicago Teachers Union’s vote is insulting and unwarranted. Democrats need to get tough with their political friends and stop this effort and any future strikes now.

Henry Olsen is a Washington Post columnist and a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

e: This is the author’s top tweet:

https://x.com/henryolsenEPPC/status/1164919228065038336

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1779700241475723339

We need a bigger Ironicat, like one that asks permission to use Google Pay and orders a projector fit for a drive‐in theater to properly convey its scale.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oracle posted:

I assumed we only meant in person school. Remote school everyone was back by fall 2020. Our local schools opened up in spring 2021 for whoever wanted to come in, you could choose hybrid or full time, they continued this in fall, told people to stay home after Thanksgiving break and went back full remote for the holidays, then went back to hybrid for 2022. Everyone had to go back in person fall 22 and masking was optional but I think they were still enforcing the five day quarantine if you were positive (though they weren’t testing at school). That’s when my kid got got and the doctor at the clinic tried to discourage me from getting her tested because she’d have to miss school if she were positive and I was livid because that attitude is how my kid just got sick!

I don't think schools were entirely cancelled at all here in Alberta, because they switched to remote so quickly. Then there was a year of "This is only going to last a few more weeks so there's no need to improve our support for Zoom classes."

Alberta reopened bars before reopening schools. For a while it was illegal to invite someone over for dinner, but you could go to a restaurant, because that's the only thing our United Conservative government cares about.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
My kid was out of in person school for ten months and it sucked. But when I say it sucked, that's all I mean, not that I think it wasn't necessary, which is always implied when people talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

"This is only going to last a few more weeks so there's no need to improve our support for Zoom classes."

This is the real failure, but they don't want to talk about it. Yes online sucks if you don't put any effort into it. From teachers, parents, or kids.

I approached it as "I need to step up and help my kid out with this, help him organize, monitor to be sure he's paying attention, be sure he does homework. All the poo poo that he was getting help with at school, that's on me now. In return the teachers should have modified their plans a bit, and done something besides "watch a video and do some worksheets".

But yah, the majority just punted and it did suck.