Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Livo posted:

Question for the Australian goons, is the TGA going to approve doses of the vaccine that are more effective against "newer" strains any time soon? I ask as I'm coming up to my due date for another booster, but I had my last booster with the non-XBB variant, as TGA hadn't said anything publicly about any plans whatsoever to approve XBB vaccines in Australia...only for them to proudly announce a few days after my dose that it'd be ready in December 2023 for everyone :doh:

I have a trip in a few weeks to see my parents for their birthdays/before their last overseas vacation, & also see my sister who's flying in from overseas: I'd like to be up to date due to my permanent health conditions, but if they're going to approve a new one shortly, waiting a bit might be more beneficial.

Idk, but considering The WHO Technical Advisory Group on COVID-19 Vaccine Composition came out with their recommendation for a JN.1 updated vaccine literally yesterday, I wouldn't expect an update till northern hemisphere fall.

Link: https://www.who.int/news/item/26-04-2024-statement-on-the-antigen-composition-of-covid-19-vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reminder that they update the flu vaccine twice per year, once for each hemisphere, and travellers are advised to get both. :shepface:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia still hasn't rolled out an updated XBB covid vaxx for kids under 5, although ATAGI have approved it and it's expected sometime this year: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/atagi-statement-on-the-administration-of-covid-19-vaccines-in-2024?language=en

Livo posted:

I have a trip in a few weeks to see my parents for their birthdays/before their last overseas vacation, & also see my sister who's flying in from overseas: I'd like to be up to date due to my permanent health conditions, but if they're going to approve a new one shortly, waiting a bit might be more beneficial.

There's no indication they're looking at a newly updated version so go get that juice

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms:
"Long COVID: plasma levels of neurofilament light chain in mild COVID-19 patients with neurocognitive symptoms"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41380-024-02554-0 posted:

Abstract
It is well known the potential of severe acute respiratory coronavirus type 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection to induce post-acute sequelae, a condition called Long COVID. This syndrome includes several symptoms, but the central nervous system (CNS) main one is neurocognitive dysfunction. Recently it has been demonstrated the relevance of plasma levels of neurofilament light chain (pNfL), as a biomarker of early involvement of the CNS in COVID-19. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between pNfL in patients with post-acute neurocognitive symptoms and the potential of NfL as a prognostic biomarker in these cases. A group of 63 long COVID patients ranging from 18 to 59 years-old were evaluated, submitted to a neurocognitive battery assessment, and subdivided in different groups, according to results. Plasma samples were collected during the long COVID assessment and used for measurement of pNfL with the Single molecule array (SIMOA) assays. Levels of pNfL were significantly higher in long COVID patients with neurocognitive symptoms when compared to HC (p = 0.0031). Long COVID patients with cognitive impairment and fatigue symptoms presented higher pNfL levels when compared to long COVID patients without these symptoms, individually and combined (p = 0.0263, p = 0.0480, and 0.0142, respectively). Correlation analysis showed that levels of cognitive lost and exacerbation of fatigue in the neurocognitive evaluation had a significative correlation with higher pNfL levels (p = 0.0219 and 0.0255, respectively). Previous reports suggested that pNfL levels are related with higher risk of severity and predict lethality of COVID-19. Our findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 infection seems to have a long-term impact on the brain, even in patients who presented mild acute disease. NfL measurements might be useful to identify CNS involvement in long COVID associated with neurocognitive symptoms and to identify who will need continuous monitoring and treatment support.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If these kids wanted medical care, they should have taken the personal responsibility to be born fifteen years ago. :colbert:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:07 on Apr 27, 2024

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Thanks everyone for the Australia info, I'll get the booster as soon as I'm eligible then :cheers:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Gregg Gonsalves is always a good read:

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/covid-revisionism-next-pandemic/ posted:

The Covid Revisionists Are Endangering Us All
As the possibility of a new pandemic looms, influential figures are telling us we shouldn’t have been so worried about the last one. This spells trouble.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Maybe chocolate inactivates influenza.

thats why it costs more

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nice to see that we’re going to see this narrative forever to justify enforcing normal

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
vaxxed again, and for the first time they asked me which i wanted. novavax was not an option however

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nice to see that we’re going to see this narrative forever to justify enforcing normal

i hate this country

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
drat it's like the bourgeoisie are just begging for the :thermidor:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1784213716839313411?s=46

just in time to protect us from the dominant variant

wait i have just been handed this bulletin

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1784213716839313411?s=46

just in time to protect us from the dominant variant

wait i have just been handed this bulletin

IDC give it to me

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
UT Austin just banned masks.

Fun country. Individual freedom for me, but not for thee.

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

You can't take my mask I'm in the servant class

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/msa-saccharin-qualitative-fit-test-kits/189993275
on sale and it comes with a video tape!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/lauramiers/status/1784038408634945812?s=46

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ooh nice catch

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

because of the Gaza protests?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RealityWarCriminal posted:

because of the Gaza protests?

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1783569099005501657/photo/1

Yup but written super vaguely, which should allow for plenty of arbitrary stops.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

While we were focusing on bird flu and bird poop and milk, there's a newcomer on the block

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1783862032120586544

Not anticipated to do too much.

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1783991563451777184/photo/1

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
flirting with disaster

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/svscarpino/status/1783980758866256189?s=46

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They’re only welcome if coming from another state with a rifle to shoot three people.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

been just about four months since the huge JN.1 surge so all the immunity is about worn off.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Platystemon posted:

They’re only welcome if coming from another state with a rifle to shoot three people.

Hey that's not fair. If they're soldiers from Ft. Hood who post racist screeds about wanting to shoot BLM protesters, who then coincidentally decide to drive for Uber while armed during a BLM protest, they're welcome too. The Governor will even promise to pardon them.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

the air is safe too! it's all good

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hey all

I think I'm dying.

Anyways, I've been telling my PCP for loving 3 years now (since Covid Infection 1/3) that I was exhausted and needed help and he kept running blood tests. Now, I dont know what the "right" tests to run so he kept telling me i had moderate to high cholesterol and was close to prediabetic and everything else looks fine.....but heres some anxiety meds (also have i tried prayer) and you have sleep apnea but failed so we cant try again.

I know what Apnea fatigue is. This was worse. I kept asking him to run tests and finally i asked for a full workup that would show long covid or whatnot - and he he claimed he did it (He just did the same old tests)

So, I am 5'6, hit 315 about 3 months ago and I'm in process to get surgery.

On Wednesday - I went to the WL place and had lots of blood tests (23 vials of blood) and found that my
Potassium is at very low at a 2.9, my magnesium is low, my iron is low, my testestorone is ridiculously low, and my b12 is low. They took my BP 4 times (when i got there it was 160/100, got up to 180/100 and then was 140/100 the last two times) so they also gave me an EKG (which was fine) but the BP + Potassium really worried them so they sent me to the Infusion center to get IV Potassium

2 hours later, Potassium IV done.....Still at a 2.9

They're like....go to the ER now,.

So I go to the ER, the ER is like "They should have done magnesum first and then Potassium. Lets fix you right up" 3 hours later, my potassium is a 3.2 lol. They send me home with an appointment Friday to a nephrologist.

On Friday - my Potassium is a 2.9 again. BP still 160. He switches me from amlodipine to avapro for BP because amlodipine causes inflammation. Cuts my anxiety meds down. Puts me on a 2x daily Potassium supplement, and orders an echo to be done (long rear end weight for that) ...and i have to meet with an endocrinologist and a cardiologist next week.

Its clear that they're very concerned, but what I want to know is how concerned should i be on my day to day?
With BP 140-160/85-100, Potassium at a 2.9 when it should be 3.4 at least, Iron at 26 when 41 is low end of normal, and Magnesium is 1.5 when 1.6 is low end of normal...and my testosterone is at 138 when Im told average is 4x that. Am I a walking heart attack?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Sending you good vibes Pillow. :glomp:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nearly 200 people sick in norovirus outbreaks on Princess, Royal Caribbean ships

The Norwalk virus has had many many times as long to adapt to human physiology than has SARS‑CoV‑2, so I’m sure that it’s exceptionally mild now.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
The rest of that Laura Miers tweet

“It says farmers only have to test up to 30 animals in a given group. The guidance does not say how farmers should determine which 30 animals to test in larger groups that are being readied to be moved…

In herds where outbreaks have occurred, only somewhere between 5% to 15% of cows have presented with clinical symptoms…”

"🤌 “The outbreak is likely to have begun when the virus jumped from an infected bird into a cow, probably around late December or early January.” "
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01256-5

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

if you didnt want to be a pariah then maybe you shouldnt have been born wrong :smugdog:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

I mean shoot, in 2020 we sure didn't had doors popping off flights, people spewing blood all the time on flights, and now maggots falling on folks on a plane.

https://twitter.com/euronewstravel/status/1758132618619670945

maggots are endemic

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kragger99 posted:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

But Austin is a liberal oasis!!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
an N95 will protect you from maggots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kragger99 posted: