Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bobtheconqueror posted:

Covid still sucks.

I just checked the official CDC site and they said it was mild and over and not a problem??? I'm gonna need a citation for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just checked the official CDC site and they said it was mild and over and not a problem??? I'm gonna need a citation for that

Prepare to be disappointed lmao

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

fosborb posted:

remesivir is an IV antiviral that reduced hospitalizations/deaths by 87%. If your kidneys are hosed but

thank you for the new op and thread fosborb! just fyi: remdesivir has now been cleared for those with impaired kidney function, including those on dialysis: https://www.gilead.com/news-and-pre...ose-on-dialysis. this wording might make someone think you can't take it (and have to settle for thor's hammer) if you have bad kidneys.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lacrosse posted:

Love to have lived through 6 versions of this thread, looking forward to many more years here with my postin' pals

all the mice were dead after 10 tho

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
still think [PESTILENCE] was the best

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

call_of_qthulhu posted:

all the mice were dead after 10 tho

lmao

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i haven’t looked very hard but I’m just gonna say "no there isn’t". the number of children boosted is vanishingly small, enrollment and control of any study is extremely difficult, and the interest in evaluating ongoing / "novel" efficacy has waned. there’s insane confounds given administration date, generally understood waning of circulating antibodies, etc. the new prevailing strains are divergent enough for it not to matter anyway.

very generally: any recent shots seem to provide at least Some (unquantifiable) protection against severe disease, long Covid, and death.

I also want to make it abundantly clear to you and all posters that your kids (or you yourself!) having Covid before DOES NOT MATTER. each subsequent infection is worse, any given infection provides transient partial protection at best, and the window looks to be roughly 4-6 months. this is similar to how it works for betacoronaviruses generally and the line of "hybrid immunity" has been an incredible falsehood from the outset.

it’s a tough situation right now. a current booster probably won’t do much, but it might, and if you can finagle the new one immediately, it doesn’t look like there’s much to LOSE from getting them an available shot now.

Thanks for the reply. What's the current consensus on mixing and matching mRNA brands? Guessing there isn't any info for kids, but anything for adults?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

call_of_qthulhu posted:

still think [PESTILENCE] was the best

i thought pestilence was about literal pests like mice rather than disease itself

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

spiritual bypass posted:

i thought pestilence was about literal pests like mice rather than disease itself

bird flu is on its way

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

call_of_qthulhu posted:

bird flu is on its way

Swine flu is already here, it's just struggling to find a foot hold

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

wtf old thread died before I caught up :mad:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

whatever happened with monkey pox?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

gently caress swine flu so much, i caught that at my friend's wedding in 2009. that and when i got got in dec 2020 was the sickest i've ever been. do not recommend

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

It is over.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife got a call from her stepmom yesterday to tell her that A> her dad has been in bed all week with covid, and B> it's just the flu, how long are you going to keep avoiding it?

lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CODChimera posted:

It's still kicking around the US, there's a handful of new infections every month.

We thought we'd eradicated it here in Australia but we just had two new cases, although they were linked to international travel.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see some of the woo w/ a bit of research behind it added to the OP. Particularly nasal sprays and rinses for both prevention and treatment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

it's still around and still spreading, just not to a degree that people might have thought it was

code:
https://twitter.com/Monkeypoxtally/status/1683779058763550722

quote:

July 25: BREAKING: The WHO just reported 166 new cases of MPOX cases worldwide last week. This marked a significant surge of over 100% compared to the previous week, making it the highest weekly case count in months.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife got a call from her stepmom yesterday to tell her that A> her dad has been in bed all week with covid, and B> it's just the flu, how long are you going to keep avoiding it?

lmao
Back in 2010 my dad was hospitalized for like two weeks for a case of flu (it was not his poor health, as he is want to remind me, but because he "caught it from some asian businessmen" (????) ).

Anyway he learned nothing from the experience and now I live with him again. :v:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
goon Bruce Hussein Daddy owns one of these

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fansy posted:

I'd like to see some of the woo w/ a bit of research behind it added to the OP. Particularly nasal sprays and rinses for both prevention and treatment.

throw some links my way. my understanding is that studies are ongoing but still inconclusive so I'm going to approach it that way unless you send me something different

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Petey posted:

thank you for the new op and thread fosborb! just fyi: remdesivir has now been cleared for those with impaired kidney function, including those on dialysis: https://www.gilead.com/news-and-pre...ose-on-dialysis. this wording might make someone think you can't take it (and have to settle for thor's hammer) if you have bad kidneys.

lol of course HHS's side-by-side comparison was updated in June and guidance on remdesivir updated late June and is not reflected

thanks for the heads up!

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

fosborb posted:

throw some links my way. my understanding is that studies are ongoing but still inconclusive so I'm going to approach it that way unless you send me something different

Cool! I'll get to work. You have it right, nothing definitive and nothing approved.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

thats because it evolved to infect pigs, they dont have foots they have little stumpy knobs they walk on

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RealityWarCriminal posted:

NGL, I think those commemorative coins are hilarious and I'm legit a bit jealous. If they weren't so costly I would have got one myself

I just looked and there's a bunch of them for sale on eBay for hundreds of dollars. It was tricky finding the right search words to generate a decent list because half of them are being sold by the types of idiots who avoid writing C@V!D-19 properly

Note that the second listing spelled it with a zero instead of a capital O

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Aug 16, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Guys, you want to be testing yourself whenever you feel off and immediately get paxlovid. It's all anecdotal I know, I've been reading on social media and one trend that popped out at me is that EG.5 (or whatever variant this is) has a nasty onset timing. Most people get a slight sore throat or tiny cough and test positive, but the symptoms are very mild so they thought it was nbd. Until around 5~ or 6~ days later, that's when the illness immediately hits you like a tsunami wave with severe symptoms. One described his throat being so sore and painful they can't even swallow water without being in pain

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

remember when covid broke the camel's back and everyone stopped trusting any kind of institutional sources of information

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

boy they really bungled that one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

remember when covid broke the camel's back and everyone stopped trusting any kind of institutional sources of information

People tried to counter anti-vaxx idiots by pointing out that we routinely give kids all sorts of other vaccines and that's never been a problem and that just led to GOP members in several states trying to introduce bills to wind back all the other childhood vaccinations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
there are still plenty of people with apparent faith in all of the institutions and people who have failed us

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

People tried to counter anti-vaxx idiots by pointing out that we routinely give kids all sorts of other vaccines and that's never been a problem and that just led to GOP members in several states trying to introduce bills to wind back all the other childhood vaccinations.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

lol

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
looks like some doctors got around to trying to help Laura Miers

quote:

I hauled my broken, wasting body into Colorectal surgery amid skyrocketing Covid hospitalizations. I weigh less than 100 lbs. I’ve lost 60lbs since 2020. I don’t live, I exist. Every single motherf**ker in this office is entirely unmasked. Doctors, staff, patients—everyone.

Nothing matters anymore. https://t.co/sXheb8CY4D

Our local teaching hospital, before the current surge. Nurses from another local hospital are striking. We live in hell. https://t.co/TtGVQoaVOq

I’m now expected to beg the unmasked doctor for help with my life-threatening post-Covid complications. I don’t think people understand what a mindf**k this all is. I just want to throw up my hands & let out a guttural scream in the middle of the waiting room. Deliver me.

Me, to the unmasked tech taking my vitals: “Yes, my vitals are going to be high. Covid x2 really messed me up. I have a lot of BP/heart problems, assorted organ damage...” Tech: “You know I’ve heard it has been doing that to people! Just messing up their whole lives.”

Colorectal can’t address my weight loss, as apparently that’s for my unmasked GI doctor who interrupts me & shuts me down when I blame Covid for my exacerbated GI complications. He literally sent me here to Colorectal. All I do is go back and forth. This is why we give up.

HOLD UP—I spoke too soon. The NP said that & then the doctor came in. She EXAMINED ME—a doctor touched my body for the 1st time in 2 years. I have IMMENSE DYSFUNCTION, there are nodules, all kinds of issues. I’m getting a flex sig now. This is the best day of my life. JFC

I’m getting a CT scan & a ton of bloodwork. She said the days of being dismissed are over. I’ve been walking around with “IMMENSE DYSFUNCTION” + tumors while being gaslit for 3 years. Now I’m preparing myself for a cancer diagnosis & I don’t even care because it’s SOMETHING.

5 people came in for the exam & sigmoidoscopy & they DID don masks for that so that’s a plus. 3 doctors examined me and marveled over my severe dysfunction. They were lining up to feel & I was like “Come one, come all—I can’t feel it anyway. 😬” Anyway, please listen to patients.

It only took two years.

https://t.co/IuTcWTSd23

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1691519142229086208

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NGL, I think those commemorative coins are hilarious and I'm legit a bit jealous. If they weren't so costly I would have got one myself
(..)

It is still available at the store!

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/trump-defeats-covid.htm

quote:

Coin is crafted beautifully, delivery was quick and what a rich symbol for the hope of the nation.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
anywho, is there anything I can use to feel better about this whole "pre-pandemic school posture" thing? I've been pretty loving keyed up since like Friday if it wasn't obvious.

Just keep thinking how we got sick constantly back then, but the spouse wasn't on the suppressants in those days - so it's like how did people navigate this?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
new thread, but COVID..... COVID never ends....

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/LAUSDSup/status/1691543990125137920 lmao this quote

quote:

“This is a fantastic time of the year,” Carvalho said. “It’s a terrific time to catch up and accelerate.”

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

quote:

Here’s when to keep your student home

When your child has a fever over 104°F

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

I think this is the best study for nasal rinsing with saline.

"SARS-CoV-2+ participants initiating nasal irrigation were over 8 times less likely to be hospitalized than the national rate."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36007135/