Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Mini Australian weekly update:

Aged care cases/outbreaks bounced back up a little

Source

And that's pretty much all the new data to report this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mini Australian weekly update:

Aged care cases/outbreaks bounced back up a little

Source

And that's pretty much all the new data to report this week

lol that the only reliable metric we have left is how many olds in care are getting it

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/FluTrackers/status/1773549947251523870

Any lurkers who still haven't switched to the almighty bean diet, better stock up on meat now before it gets everywhere

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/FluTrackers/status/1773549947251523870

Any lurkers who still haven't switched to the almighty bean diet, better stock up on meat now before it gets everywhere

all this animal agriculture nightmare poo poo is giving me serious Oryx and Crake vibes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
just put your milk in the oven i dont see the problem

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

lovely

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

WrasslorMonkey posted:

lol. Reminded me of

bred
Oct 24, 2008

sonatinas posted:

very cool a relative’s Dr is suggesting the booster may have contributed to their ALS diagnosis. and this is at a Vanderbilt.

a previous Dr blamed the vaccine on a mis diagnosis of some other neurological issue.

Yes, the mounted antlers are sharp and might have hurt you. No, don't worry about the cloud of bulls in the air.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
heh
States that lean Republican report more COVID vaccine-related adverse events, study finds

www.cidrap.umn.edu posted:

US states with a 10% increase in Republican voting reported a 5% increase in COVID-19 vaccine–related adverse events (AEs), a 25% increase in severe AEs, and a 21% higher proportion of AEs characterized as severe, with more pronounced associations in older people, a study today in JAMA Network Open concludes.

A University of Pennsylvania–led research team analyzed 620,456 AE reports filed by adult vaccine recipients or their clinicians in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) database from 2020 to 2022, and compared them with AEs after influenza vaccination from 2019 to 2022. They examined the AEs against state-level proportions of Republican votes in the 2020 US presidential election.

The average age of vaccine recipients was 52 years, and women made up 70.2% of AE reporters. Vaccinees were able to file more than one report.

VAERS reports have not been verified, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes. "Anyone, including healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public, can submit reports to the system," the CDC says. "While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness."

"Antivaccine sentiment is increasingly associated with conservative political positions," the study authors wrote. "COVID-19 mortality has been higher in US jurisdictions that are more conservative in their party registration, voting history, or representation. These differences are likely explained, in part, by differences in vaccination rates." 

### Republicans report more events as severe

Significant links were seen between state political inclination and state AE reporting for all three outcomes: a 10% increase in Republican voting was tied to greater chances of AE reports (odds ratio [OR], 1.05), severe AE reports (OR, 1.25), and the percentage of AEs characterized as severe (OR, 1.21).

quote:

These results suggest that either the perception of vaccine AEs or the motivation to report them was associated with political inclination.

While these associations were seen across all age-groups, they were more pronounced among older people. There was no such association for the flu vaccine.

"These results suggest that either the perception of vaccine AEs or the motivation to report them was associated with political inclination," the researchers wrote.

They added that the link between observation and belief is bidirectional. "The adage 'seeing is believing' recognizes that our individual experiences inform our sense of truth, and 'believing is seeing' recognizes that our preconceptions modulate what we experience in the first place," they wrote.

"In finding that Republican-inclined states show higher COVID-19 AE reporting than Democrat-inclined states, this study suggests that Republicans are more likely to perceive or report those AEs and that Democrats are less likely to," they concluded.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
bill gates is targeting republicans!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
interesting they don't report the possibility that libs are too scared to talk about the vax side effects. biased much??

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is novavax still the thread recc for a booster? Even if I've only had mRNA?

Realized I got my monovalent in September so it's been 7 months since my last booster.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Mar 29, 2024

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Yeah, moth-shot = best-shot

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Direct link to the calculator here: https://partnersplatform.who.int/tools/aria/calculator

I feel like this got missed by a lot of people so I'm adding someone else's summary. I actually find it encouraging as it means they're only using airborne transmission for their calculator.

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1773676758882988331

edit: the link below should send you to a non-Twitter page with the whole thing laid out

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1773676758882988331.html

Zantie has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Mar 29, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao at this though

there's no New York or San Francisco but just in case you're holding an event at

you're in luck!!

... also the calculator handily includes data for all the variants that don't exist any more and then stops at "Omicron".

I haven't dug in on the paper but the calculator is... a fossil.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Mar 29, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So, to temper my scorn a little bit: had I bothered to read a bit more, the paper/guidance/thoughts are not about trying to directly address COVID specifically, but more about reconsidering how professionals deal with transmission modes.

The calculations that the model does are fun, and the number of inputs you can use is great to tailor what's going on

The efficacy of masking is immediately and obviously apparent. Putting a time dimension on things is a slippery slope but I also can see people considering the way they spend their days doing quotidian activities in this fashion.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Mar 29, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/CIDRAP/status/1773809710954651780

So it looks like it's going exponential growth among the cows

032924_4
Mar 29, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

storm a comin

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I haven't dug in on the paper but the calculator is... a fossil.

at least they acknowledge that dinosaurs exist after denying it :colbert:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So, to temper my scorn a little bit: had I bothered to read a bit more, the paper/guidance/thoughts are not about trying to directly address COVID specifically, but more about reconsidering how professionals deal with transmission modes.

The calculations that the model does are fun, and the number of inputs you can use is great to tailor what's going on

The efficacy of masking is immediately and obviously apparent. Putting a time dimension on things is a slippery slope but I also can see people considering the way they spend their days doing quotidian activities in this fashion.

Yay

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it also should be like, abundantly obvious that everything they write up implies that this requires a dramatic restructuring of all public life. Starting at the institutional level with the low-hanging ventilation and filtration fruit. but lol we've been beating that drum for about four years now

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

this seems really bad

Also it's something that won't be able to be ignored like covid, considering the mortality rate is 50% iirc

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grapplejack posted:

this seems really bad

Also it's something that won't be able to be ignored like covid, considering the mortality rate is 50% iirc
Mortality rate is pretty dependent on host, isn't it? not sure if it's extremely deadly to cows, or...mild.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

NeonPunk posted:

it’s mild

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
nobody wants to moo anymore

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Not looking forward to "Well it's called Bird Flu, so obviously it's just the flu."

"But the mortality rate is 50%."

"Hey, I'll take my chances."

"YOUR CHANCES ARE FIFTY FIFTY THAT YOU DIE."

"Well, you know, lockdown/economy/school/Applebee's/God's will/I'm not living in fear/Biden made it up so he could cancel the election to stop Trump/China invented it in a lab....

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

Not looking forward to "Well it's called Bird Flu, so obviously it's just the flu."

"But the mortality rate is 50%."

"Hey, I'll take my chances."

"YOUR CHANCES ARE FIFTY FIFTY THAT YOU DIE."

"Well, you know, lockdown/economy/school/Applebee's/God's will/I'm not living in fear/Biden made it up so he could cancel the election to stop Trump/China invented it in a lab....

If this happens you got like a week tops before everything collapses, no way you can have 50% lethality and not have your civilization start crumbling too. You just wind up not having enough people to run the place, not to mention all the knockoff deaths, the increased childhood mortality, the pure logistics of dealing with 500 million kilograms of rotting human flesh, the opportunistic wars. Real Biblical, cats and dogs living together poo poo.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It's really something to think that if highly pathogenic bird flu starts spreading amongst humans, like 40% of the population will refuse the vaxx.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

If this happens you got like a week tops before everything collapses, no way you can have 50% lethality and not have your civilization start crumbling too. You just wind up not having enough people to run the place, not to mention all the knockoff deaths, the increased childhood mortality, the pure logistics of dealing with 500 million kilograms of rotting human flesh, the opportunistic wars. Real Biblical, cats and dogs living together poo poo.

counterpoint: maybe not!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mycomancy posted:

Real Biblical, cats and dogs living together poo poo.

Well, not if there's more mammal-to-mammal transmission. Didn't think about that one, did you, Lord?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zugzwang posted:

It's really something to think that if highly pathogenic bird flu starts spreading amongst humans, like 40% of the population will refuse the vaxx.

ehhh people are really flexible on their "unshakeable" beliefs when material conditions change

this works both ways - like how 70%+ of australians (towards the end of our lockdowns) said that we shouldn't go back to normal if it meant 5,000 people would die over the next year. then we went back to normal and 15,000-20,000 died in the next year, and no one really gave a poo poo.

but sure, there will be a hardcore 5-10% who would be antivax to the end, or nearly the end, like those folks during delta who begged for the shot as they were getting vented

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
look, you either live or you die. fifty-fifty.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's also really something that the coverage of the outbreak skates right past whether there's a risk of it spreading to people via the actual mechanism of transmission and starts digging in on milk? Like... OK it's an important food and ingredient but what about the virus and the people who work with the cows? that are breathing it onto each other?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

It's also really something that the coverage of the outbreak skates right past whether there's a risk of it spreading to people via the actual mechanism of transmission and starts digging in on milk? Like... OK it's an important food and ingredient but what about the virus and the people who work with the cows? that are breathing it onto each other?

Answer this question: which is a product and which is a cost?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mola Yam posted:

ehhh people are really flexible on their "unshakeable" beliefs when material conditions change

this works both ways - like how 70%+ of australians (towards the end of our lockdowns) said that we shouldn't go back to normal if it meant 5,000 people would die over the next year. then we went back to normal and 15,000-20,000 died in the next year, and no one really gave a poo poo.

but sure, there will be a hardcore 5-10% who would be antivax to the end, or nearly the end, like those folks during delta who begged for the shot as they were getting vented
Might be 5-10% in Australia, definitely way higher in Trumpistan though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

lmao incredible :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zugzwang posted:

Mortality rate is pretty dependent on host, isn't it? not sure if it's extremely deadly to cows, or...mild.

The good news is we'll have a lot of data on this shortly.