Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv-9mkwrKfP/

Physics girl still having a good time with long COVID.

quote:

Dianna is currently suffering from a multi-week crash. It's been over a year since she got sick and she will still crash from any minor mental or physical stress. These crashes are the result from her severe MCAS and ME/CFS.

I started helping Kyle and Dianna full-time here a couple months ago, and it's surreal to see her state. I think when you're not around it, it's easy for the time to pass, or to assume the time goes by relatively easy from her bedroom. But it doesn't.

Dianna still doesn't consume anything that is potentially overstimulating for her mind. She doesn't watch movies, read books, or listen to music. She's able to speak more throughout the day than she used to, and she develops little funny sentences or short songs in her head. But other than that, you're looking at it. These pictures are the exact place she has been laying since January, unable to even get up and use the bathroom.

This disease is slow, very slow. Some weeks are worse than others...

We've learned so much about post-viral illnesses in the last few years, and people still doubt they exist. Insane to me.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

I'll have you know Southern Decadence is in two weeks. I will not put up with your homosexual erasure.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
What are my odds of a false positive on a 2 month expired Lucira?

Woke up blowing my nose a lot and I have like 10 of these tests that expired on July 7th sitting around. Figured, "why not" and took one, only for it to show covid positive.

I'm taking a RAT and another Lucira in the meantime.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sunny Side Up posted:

Unexpired lucira 6% false positive rate

Negative on RAT, negative on followup Lucira. Spouse negative on their Lucira as well. I have one more Lucira running, but maybe I need to find an actual lab for a followup PCR.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

silicone thrills posted:

It was me.

Took another lucira and got a negative and scheduled a pcr and got negative. Also did a RAT every 12 hours until pcr results and isolated as if positive.

Good to know. I've taken 2 additional Luciras and gotten a negative each time. That plus my RAT has me feeling a little more confident. I'm still going to go get a PCR at the drive thru 2 hour place I think.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Aug 17, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just another point of evidence on teledocs, Pushhealth is now 3 for 3 on next to no questions asked Paxlovid.

And before this sets off any "ASK YOUR DOCTOR OMG" anguish from thread helpers, my PCP is a fellow doomer and told me he would give me Paxlovid in a heartbeat. But telehealth appointments with him aren't available until 2-3 days from now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Good to know. I've taken 2 additional Luciras and gotten a negative each time. That plus my RAT has me feeling a little more confident. I'm still going to go get a PCR at the drive thru 2 hour place I think.

Confirmatory PCR was negative. That's a relief. The pharmacy tech who brought the swab out to my car was wearing a face shield and no mask. Points for effort I guess.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Helpful info for min-maxing your 2023 build:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19...the%20opposite.

quote:

Sequential vaccines, like those used for COVID-19, may elicit a greater immune response if the recipient has the same arm injected, called ipsilateral vaccination, as opposed to contralateral vaccination, in which the primary vaccination is delivered in one arm and booster dose is delivered to the opposite.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I thought COVID was a vascular disease? Why bundle it with respiratory diseases? Or is the grouping based on manner of spread?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Went to Home Depot. While waiting in line, overheard an employee tell another employee how sick she felt and that she thought her fever was coming back. In the 2-3 minutes I was waiting before hearing that and noping to a far away register, she helped 2 or 3 couples who looked to be at least in their 70s with their purchases. Store was packed with grey hairs too, they love Home Depot in the morning.

Just normal things. Oh mighty 3M Aura, I call upon your blessings.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

Thanks, does insurance cover this?

It's free for now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

She managed to find a telehealth doctor through the state and got the prescription. Getting it filled now.

I’m so loving pissed. I’m testing negative, will test the kids again. Good thing I’ve been falling asleep on the couch the last two days.

It's not inevitable she will give it to you or the family. Masking, isolation and ventilation in the house can do a lot. If you're negative, it's worth the extra effort.

Also transmission between humans and their pets and vice versa is thought to be pretty common, so keep any dogs and cats away.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The Oldest Man posted:

When my partner got got last year she was prescribed pax immediately but thanks to her doctor being slow on the draw actually getting the prescription in (and this was her actual doctor and not an app) and then sending her prescription to the wrong pharmacy followed by the two pharmacies not being able to agree on which one of them needed to do something to release the pills, it took about three days to actually get the drugs and I'd rather just have a couple courses on hand now. Also, no idea how long the no questions asked telehealth situation with SesameCare is going to last and I'd rather not be pleading my or her case in the moment.

Contrast this with a wealthy relative of mine during Delta. Tested positive, called his physician's office for a same day appointment. Was immediately given monoclonal antibodies (and offered ivermectin) that were absolutely impossible to find (I know because I spent countless hours trying to find some for another relative of mine). So I base my standard of care on that.

Can I afford a concierge physician service? No.
Can I attempt to approximate that level of care by having therapeutics on hand for the inevitable? Yes.
Will I regret not having taken every step I could to protect my family from a pathogen that causes long term illness in 10-20% of cases? Yes.

I'm not going to hoard my supply like a dragon, but there is a very finite window of effectiveness. A delay of as much of a day gives the virus that much more time to wreak havoc. I think part of the reason I recovered so well from my first infection was because I was able to start taking Paxlovid immediately upon pozzing.

And lest there be accusations of self-medicating, my PCP said he would happily prescribe Pax. If same day telehealth appointments with him weren't impossible to get, I'd happily go that route.

Poppers posted:

This is somewhat of a nuanced point but Paxlovid wasn't necessarily studied as a covid cure but rather as a treatment to prevent disease progression and morbidity and mortality. To that point taking it at day 3 is within the window where it was studied to do that. It's a bummer there was prescriber/pharmacy mixup and your partner might have felt crappy for an extra day or two because of it but otherwise seems fine I guess?

That's great, except testing frequently lags symptoms, sometimes by many days. Tests most people can take aren't super sensitive, from a combination of new variants and user error.

If you've been sick as a dog and only pop positive on the 4th day since you started throwing up, there isn't some treaty with science that COVID has signed that says, "I give the sick person 5 days to start Paxlovid. I will only cause minimal damage until then as they have only now tested positive." The clock for Paxlovid's window of effectiveness expires in 5 days from symptom onset.

Therefore the optimal strategy is to be able to take it as soon as possible, not when your overworked strip mall physician's assistant finally has time to call in a prescription.

Glumwheels posted:

I took another test and it turned positive right away so going to get my paxlovid now.

gently caress me

Look at it this way, at least you no longer have to isolate from each other.

Vicks VapoShower tablets are on Prime, and will be your best friend for the next few days.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Aug 20, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Glumwheels posted:

I’m not that congested yet, I just have a fever and a headache. I’m worried about the kids, I’ll test them again and continue wearing masks.

The prescriber said there is a major interaction with paxlovid and rinvoq (something I’m on) and just gave me molnupiravir. Is it even as useful?

From what I recall, it can speed recovery time, but not to the degree originally promised, and nowhere near as effectively as Paxlovid.

It also may be creating new variants: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00347-z

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Poppers posted:

JAK inhibitor toxicity is no joke, like Rinvoq lands people in the hospital pretty regularly. It’s likely not worth it to fiddle with for a five day course and risk an RA flare or acute toxicity.

This is why the thread makes fun of, "we have the tools".

We have exactly 1 tool that's not a vaccine, and a large percentage of people can't have it.

Does metformin have any more studies? It seems like there was that big one, then no followups were announced that I could find. I'd like to think it would help, but there was a similar glowing study on Fluvoxamine back in 2021 that ended up going nowhere.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Petey posted:

it's called "outpatient remdesivir" because you do not need to be checked into the hospital for it. it is only administered at healthcare institutions, but not enough of them to make access realistic for most people. earlier in the pandemic, some states were doing at-home infusions of remdesivir through a visiting nurse, but i'm not sure if anyplace is still doing that.

(I'm no drug developer but given remdesivir is shelf-stable you would think that they could put it in the little self-administerable injectables that i use for my monoclonal cholesterol medication and just send you home with them)

Gilead is working on an oral version of remdesivir to get around that problem: https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ies-2023-04-04/

Nothus posted:

A nice little nuance of the American healthcare system is that if something happens on a weekend, you're poo poo out of luck until Monday.

That's okay, according to experts, covid is required to wait until you can get a paxlovid prescription filled. I think congress passed a law or something.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Aug 20, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

lol if we are ever able to make a post-Sturgis-like map of malaria spread after people visit Florida or Texas

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go eliminate pockets of standing water in my backyard.

Pockets of standing water is 100% not a problem in Texas at the moment.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

Let us know if they charge your insurance for 2 contrast IVs.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I know nothing about this aside from it being posted in my "still coviding" group:

https://www.covidtrialandyou.com/en-US/

Astrazeneca therapeutics trial for the immunocompromised.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GXL posted:

I try to think of how these people would look like irrefutable assholes to the general public if they, say, started messing around with someone's wheelchair.

You mean like the lady who told my wheelchair bound 8 year old nephew that if he prayed hard enough, God would fix his legs?

They don't give a gently caress. People like this are complete assholes, but they are 100% sure they're the good guys.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Loucks posted:

My kid brought covid home. Looks like SesameCare requires video consultation. How is PushHealth? I saw that they have a form, but do I need to deal with a video call through them as well? I know there's a ton of data on this in the thread, but I seem to be bad at finding it.

I've used them 3x, haven't had to do a video call ever, and have gotten Paxlovid each time.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Look, all I’m saying is, no one I know had ever gotten measles OR rubella, so why are we still insisting on vaccinating for it?

Also I don’t think the IT department at the office does anything either, so let’s save some money and get rid of them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I bought a Cue reader + tests since Lucira appears to never be coming back, and holy crap, I get why this is so expensive. The app, packaging, design, it's like from an alternate universe where Apple released a COVID test. The app itself integrates nearly flawlessly with the hardware, which is not something that is easy to do based on other IoT products I've purchased.

I had an exposure event 6.5 days ago, so just trying to cover my bases before my daily, "I dont want long covid" cardio.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

brap posted:

I'm looking at putting together a small kit/care package for when people I know catch covid. Any suggestions for what should go in there? I was thinking beyond telling people to get pax, to include maybe some nasal/throat irrigation stuff, some Benadryl or something to help with sleep, some supplements, and I guess some Auras and tests.

Vicks Vaposhower Tablets. They were the only thing keeping me somewhat comfortable until my pax kicked in.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CoasterMaster posted:

It's sliiggghhtttlllyyy better with a sale now. You can buy a pack of 10 tests + reader for $300, but the catch is that the tests expire in 1.5 - 3 months instead of their usual (6+ months? I think?)

https://shop.cuehealth.com/collections/sale

Still expensive, but better

I took advantage of this deal, and got 10 tests that all expire at the end of November. Not bad, should get me through some upcoming spreadsheet avoiding exposure events.

It looks like they're having trouble moving inventory, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sale prices continue until they're out of business: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/troubled-testmaker-cue-health-under-investor-pressure-change-course

Of course once that happens, that's the end of home PCR quality tests.

In other news, apparently COVID can curve your dick: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8420294/. Now you have an excuse for missing the g-spot!

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

welp a friend got Covid at dragoncon, got shortness of breath, called sesamecare and got told to tough it out and that they’d prescribe him an inhaler

I've never had trouble with Pushhealth, and my buddy who just pozzed got Pax for both him and his wife through them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oracle posted:

My friend, did you miss the raw milk craze from a few years back? And they've always been mad about fluoridated water.

raw water

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Frosted Flake posted:

lol how did we get here?

What difference does that make? Human to pet to human spread is thought to be common.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/15/4/837

I may have overstated. Human to dog/cat transmission is thought to be quite common. No definite word yet on if they can repay us the favor.

I did find this from the CDC

Covid thread: Do not put masks on pets.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I just got private life insurance. There were zero COVID questions.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Not even a preprint?

I'm fairly doubtful of the efficacy of these sprays. If they were cheaper I might try it since they don't seem harmful, but I prefer putting my limited funding into my strategy of regular testing with the most sensitive tests I can buy so I can Pax/stop exercising/start neti potting as early as possible.

It would be nice if things had advanced further in wearables. Early on there was all this talk about the promise of using fitness trackers to detect COVID and now that COVID is over the effort seems to have dried up.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Thread rec: I've been reading Immune: A Journey into the Mysterious System That Keeps You Alive by the guy who makes the Kurzgesagt youtube channel.

At first it was because I wanted to be able to make more sense of the many scientific papers that life in 2023 thrusts upon you. Now I'm simply just fascinated. It's a very layman friendly explanation of our current understanding of the immune system.

My favorite "wow" so far is that a component of sexual attraction is that we can smell our partner's immune system, and are drawn to those with different antigen presenting receptors.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BusError posted:

How concerned should we be about a rash developing, about a week and a half into covid infection? I tried googling about this but came up with mostly not that helpful stuff. It's on her arms and knees. Is this just one of those "yeah that can happen" symptoms that doesn't make it onto every list?

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/search/?q=rash&restrict_sr=1

Seems to be not uncommon. The lil virus that could.

Also early shingles activation is a thing COVID is blessing under 50s with. Still can't get SHINGRIX though.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Why does windows default to the chuddiest of sources for their news window?

I spent an hour unsubscribing from the dreck and they just kept coming up with new ones.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ok so WHICH ONE is the advised one to get. Is it the one next week? the one that's being delayed for another month or so?

The monovalent vaccine. Currently there's only the bivalent. New vaccine is monovalent. It's not out yet, the CDC is still debating whether recommending it for everyone will keep antivaxxers from finally getting vaccinated.

Once it is out, the bivalent will (likely) no longer be available.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Insanite posted:

so, who's rushing for the new mRNA shots, and who's holding out for novavax?

was hoping to get novavax myself assuming it was approved at the same time as the other vaccines, but now i'm thinkin'...

Ive got anti-spreadsheet activity upcoming over the next few months so asap. Last year I waited until I could be sure the holidays would be spent within the 3 month magic window max titers, but I'm almost a year out from the natural booster I got in November, so needle in arm now please.

I'm almost tempted to book an appointment for this weekend on the off chance they have the monovalent by then, but I'll give it a day or two for everything to shake out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The problem is, Novavax means "No go vax" in spanish.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Okay, so, health-wise it's fine, but it's being blocked by The Man? Because you can only have one? For Reasons?

That's why I didn't understand, I think. It's because it's stupid.

My guy, the CDC and WHO are still telling people to wash their hands to avoid COVID. The US military no longer requires COVID vaccination while the yearly flu vaccine remains required. Medical professionals are exposing themselves regularly to COVID patients without bothering to put on a mask.

Everything is wildly, out of bounds, stupid.

Just assume the worst and you will never be disappointed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Louisgod posted:

so is moderna creating an updated booster too? I'd like to stick with House Moderna as that's what I've had in me up to now.

They are but so far all the v-boys in my area are only slinging Pfizer, and I need to get well asap.

Rescheduled for saturday, thanks thread.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oracle posted:

Also interesting paper on metformin that may explain why it works as protection against long covid (from 2016).

About that, do we actually know it works? There was that one study, and then nothing. Metformin is cheap so I'm not surprised the pharmaceutical industry hasn't jumped on it, but you'd think there would be some interest in another tool.

I remember Fluvoxamine also got a similar glowing study back in early '21 then it was all for naught.