Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is carageenan spray supposed to sting? I was using an off brand for a while and it would sting, now I got the flo travel name brand and it doesn't. Am I doing it wrong, either before or now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I've been playing Ocarina on the 3ds and I fired up the original game in an emulator just to see and jesus christ this game runs at, I am not kidding here, 17 frames per second

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

No idea broadly speaking but personally I've been huffing the ePothex brand for about a week now and do get some vibrant stinging for maybe ~5 seconds after using the spray.

Yes it was epothex brand. Good to confirm for that one at least

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cops and doctors are one thing, the one professional group you should openly spit on if you see them in public are public health professionals. If one of them says the sky is blue, open a window and confirm for yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

Even if this is said in jest, which viewing your previous posts in the threads its not, this is akin to "don't listen to doctors." This is the sort of crap that needs to be curtailed for this threads culture to change.

I'm explicitly contrasting doctors and MPH types. Doctors you should generally listen to, while understanding they are highly constrained in their powers. MPH people you should ignore. This is basically the general view of the thread as I see it. Doctors don't make recommendations about paxlovid distribution/"hoarding" they make individual prescriptions for individual people with no reference at all to society or shortages or whatever

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sonatinas posted:

calling up my concierge doc to get whatever I want and using my class position to hoover up resources which is acceptable.

Only the very poorest would be unable to use the sites in question, there's not really a class divide here

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine. You should of course find a different doctor if your current ones say that. You should also report them to their board as no competent doctor should be prescribing those as a current course of care. Prescribing those is absolutely not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations. But if a doctor tells you Paxlovid is unnecessary for you then that is not wrong advice!

How can you say that? Are you a licensed medical professional? This sounds like anti-social deranged poo poo and probably deserves a probe

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

please listen to your doctors covid thread

The American way is that I pay service workers to perform services for me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Make sure they get paxlovid through scrupulously legal and legitimate channels

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

"Actually, guy who got probated for telling you to lie to doctors has a point" is not the best look for this thread.

Nobody is saying this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's fair to ban explicitly saying you should lie to get prescription, but it's crucial that the sites in question be in the OP because it's basically not possible to get it legitimately from in person doctors. If you are not lying and have covid and fall in the made up CDC guidelines, you have to use those sites anyways

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Corrigenda posted:

I'm trans as well. If you don't see the problem in extending what has been a massive, systemic failure on the part of many parties over the course of many years, to the issues discussed above in thread regarding Paxlovid I don't know what to tell you. They are not equivalent. This thread is very confusing.

IMO the real stakes here are that mention of the telehealth sites will be banned. The official position of the thread IMO should be you should have the telehealth sites on speed-dial to get it if you test positive

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fosborb posted:

there is nothing wrong with telehealth at all.* it is still licensed practitioners of medicine putting their education to use on your specific case and their license on the line (theoretically)

is anyone advocating for removing those links? lol, that section has been wholesale quoted into the OPs of the other covid threads in SA

Not that I know of, but I'm not monitoring all of the critical posts re:this thread so maybe

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what do people think will happen with paxlovid? Seems to me there are two very powerful forces, on the one hand the managerial state wants covid to go away and so treatments for the thing that doesn't exist have to go away too, on the other hand the pharma companies make money off of it, so

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm playing castlevania dawn of sorrow after playing sotn and aria and dang, this is the exact same game for the third time in a row huh

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m taking nattokinase for chest pain and this stuff smells rancid, I can only imagine what actual natto is like

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON KISSING SMALL TURTLES! YOU WILL REGRET THIS! :argh:

One call from Small Turtle Corporation will end this nonsense

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Insanite posted:

re: concert cancellation chat, but only sorta

is there anywhere that one can find insurance industry data that might hint at how growing sickness/disability/death are impacting society? is all of that sort of thing 100% private?

as an enterprise computer toucher, i have no idea, myself.

There was at least one story in that vein, IIRC of spikes in young people dying, but this is like a year or two ago at this point. Whispers, but no more than that yet

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

New slate article dismissing long covid using the latest VA study as evidence, somehow. If you want to get mad/take a crack at debunking it, enjoy I guess

https://slate.com/technology/2023/08/long-covid-nature-medicine-public-health.html

quote:

What the Latest Evidence Actually Says About Long COVID
A new study looks at data from patients two years after their initial infection. It contains some alarming figures—until you dig into them.
By Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz
Aug 25, 202311:45 AM

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much of a difference does swabbing the tonsils make? I can’t see/reach mine. I’ve been swabbing cheeks/gums/back of tongue, is that basically equivalent?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I had to fly to/from DC this weekend, pretty good masking rate, up to even like a third. Mostly kn95s or better too

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Sep 2, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

My kid brought covid home. Looks like SesameCare requires video consultation. How is PushHealth? I saw that they have a form, but do I need to deal with a video call through them as well? I know there's a ton of data on this in the thread, but I seem to be bad at finding it.

I did sesame video recently, they did not require any test. I just told them a person I lived with had tested positive recently (true)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Loucks posted:

Thanks, but I have a test. My concern is that they'll insist that because my kid is twelve he's not at enough risk to write an rx, and I've been asked not to lie beyond saying he's unvaxed so I can't insist that he's a diabetic smoker.

How's hidrb now? That was popular for a while as I recall.

Ah. Yeah that sucks. Is there any official guidance on pax for kids at all?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have worn ear-strap masks and been the first customer when they open a few times, but mostly cut my own hair

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Welp, looks like I was exposed again yesterday. Using flo spray, and briefly, but how long do I have to be on guard for if I got it? Up to two weeks? Should I bother rapid testing even in a day or two/2-3 days after exposure, or wait more than that?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How long after doing the nasal spray does it interfere with testing again?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

blatman posted:

apparently the higher ups at work are preparing for the govt to shut us down temporarily due to covid around the beginning of winter

i havent read this thread with any regularity in about a year, what the heck is going on lol

I think part of it may have to do with election season coming up again. The power structures are maybe getting flashes of realization how bad things are and feeling they may need to start pretending to do something about it again

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Morbus posted:

The neutralizing activity of XBB breakthrough sera in that preprint is:

1.) Much better than any of the OG or bivalent vaccinated sera, which are escaped entirely

2.) About an order of magnitude worse than for EG.5.1. 7, which is an alias for some XBB.1.9 sublineage

So overall I think in line with expectations.

I would also think, given what we've seen in the past, that the XBB booster would do better if you get more than one dose, spaced appropriately.

No novavax in the study?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Petey posted:

Q: what's the cheapest place to buy antigen tests in bulk? It looks like Costco used to sell 600 flowflex tests for $499, but no longer does...

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/clinitest-rapid-covid-19-antigen-self-test/23312022

Not sure about the expiration dates

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LostAdult2/status/1700271167112941921

Not sure if accurate, but seems bad if so

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

So I should get novovax then instead of these new modified vaccines?

Can kids get Novavax? When can I get the shot after having COVID?

I had to do crimes to get novavax, last I checked you're only eligible if you are unvaccinated, they won't give it to you after an mrna, at least in the USA

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do we know anything more about taking paxlovid too early/as a prophylactic? Like if you can time it correctly, is taking it a day or two later potentially better, or can it not be taken too early? My parents just got got, they both got paxlovid and I advised my dad to just take it even though he hasn't developed symptoms yet. Almost certainly will get it. My brother visited last weekend and immediately came down with symptoms from the concert he had just gone to. It took about a week, but now mom is majorly sick, with strange vision blurring too! I'm assuming my dad is going to get it, both of them only got one booster

Basically should my dad wait a day to take it, or just do it now?

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Sep 12, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think he's tested, don't think he will, they are Blue Maga basically. I'll tell him to wait a day at least, he might have taken one dose already but that should be OK

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The real struggle now is trying to get them to take a double course. My mom is a doctor, so almost certainly could get it, but they will probably be reluctant

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Aw cmon wtf they're delaying the new novavax

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/doneford/status/1701450109484175382?s=46

was there any novavax news today or is that for the 22nd

Didn't pay Fauci and friends enough

:sad:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So wait I haven't been following, how are the shots being distributed? You have to pay $120, AND get a doctor order? Or is it just $120, with some kind of means tested subsidies probably if you get down and kiss Fauci's shoes?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I truly did not know this. I thought that it was somehow entered into a database that would show the pharmacist your vaccine record, causing them to reject you for extra shots.

Typing that out, I do see that it's giving a whole lot of organizations too much credit, but it sounded right in my head.

Anyway, thanks! My kid and I have appointments on Monday at a local CVS to get jabbed with Moderna.

In Wisconsin there is a state vaccine registry, not sure about other states. For all other medical records I think there is not, and different hospital networks/pharmacies have only their own records

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Diamond Princess was the ship full of covid infecteds stuck in harbor in Japan IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.