Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
mild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

willroc7 posted:

Are there any good new data or studies out there regarding pediatric booster effectiveness?

i haven’t looked very hard but I’m just gonna say "no there isn’t". the number of children boosted is vanishingly small, enrollment and control of any study is extremely difficult, and the interest in evaluating ongoing / "novel" efficacy has waned. there’s insane confounds given administration date, generally understood waning of circulating antibodies, etc. the new prevailing strains are divergent enough for it not to matter anyway.

very generally: any recent shots seem to provide at least Some (unquantifiable) protection against severe disease, long Covid, and death.

I also want to make it abundantly clear to you and all posters that your kids (or you yourself!) having Covid before DOES NOT MATTER. each subsequent infection is worse, any given infection provides transient partial protection at best, and the window looks to be roughly 4-6 months. this is similar to how it works for betacoronaviruses generally and the line of "hybrid immunity" has been an incredible falsehood from the outset.

it’s a tough situation right now. a current booster probably won’t do much, but it might, and if you can finagle the new one immediately, it doesn’t look like there’s much to LOSE from getting them an available shot now.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dew worm posted:

thanks…I’m pissed for not advocating for myself more last week. but it was “mild”

I was gonna ask after how you were faring

Also curious how Harik and family are. Have y’all avoided household spread?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dew worm posted:

I still have a general "sick" feeling...waiting for more tests to deliver from amazon. I think a negative would help my mental health greatly. Thanks for asking.

hang in there, it was not particularly "funny in a haha way" but funny in a lmao way that I tested positive for nineteen? I think, straight days. was feeling better after about seven.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LentThem posted:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/long-covid-rylee-joyce-august-9-2023

It's a good thing kids almost never catch COVID or we'd be hosed- wait...they what?!?

:d2a:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
business partner's inlaws both have covid

both got pax

I feel like this is the best outcome people can hope for and it's not a very good one :(

they both said they felt vaguely "bad" over the last weekend but got full blown hosed up today so some anecdotal validation of weird delayed onset

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i don't really thinkg this is covid related but my best friend's mom, something of a surrogate mom for me for twenty years now, also died this week. Glioma diagnosis 3 weeks ago and already gone

it doesnt' exactly feel like the sharks circling but gently caress me. the emotional toll of turning 40 is worse than the physical.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it’s a loving government agency who cares about the cost! it is just fully funded, you just declare it that way!!

I hate this loving country

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

redreader posted:

What's the current rapid test wisdom? Specifically:

1: is expired ok as long as the control line 'lights up'?
2: I've heard various things about when to test, that conflict. Do you test as soon as you get symptoms? wait a couple of days for it to be able to show up? etc? I know you're supposed to test at least twice over multiple days.
3: throat then nose swabs, is that correct? Do you cough first, blow your nose first, some other thing?

When I got covid last it took about 2 days to show up on a rapid test. A friend's girlfriend got it and it took 6 days of awful symptoms before she tested positive, testing every day. Now I read stuff online about testing positive before any symptoms at all, or on the first day of symptoms.

edit: the local 'vax bus' was the only possible way I could get my kids vaccinated. our doctor didn't do vaccines for kids nor did our previous doctor, or local pharmacies (cvs/walgreens). The vax bus has now been phased out, so, lollll. not sure if I can get the kids shots if/when they come out next month.

basically you can't be certain about any of these things, except for:

Swab your throat and then nose. Don't worry about... doing anything other than not eating or drinking anything for 30 minutes prior to testing. The eating/drinking thing is because acidic solutions in your saliva can mess up the chemistry of the test and pop fake positives.

You probably won't have enough virus in you anywhere to really pop before at the very least roughly 2 days after you get got. Depending on the inoculant dose, the variant, your immune system's response, etc. I'd say 48 hours is the absolute earliest any test would ever detect anything.

The story with RATs remains the same: positive result means you have COVID. Negative result means nothing, 3 negative results in series over a day or so means you're negative, provided you've appropriately isolated and not been exposed during that time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

I'm an devoted believer in beetopathy

I made an iraqi beet stew with chicken kubbeh this week and have rarely been more powerful

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
which tweeter is it that has the models for extrapolating estimated case numbers based on adjusting for lack of accurate surveillance? Some Lab or another?

it was Hoerger, not a lab. foudn it

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Aug 17, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jort Fortress posted:

My 91yo grandma has been stuck in a nursing home doing rehab the past 2 weeks after breaking her hip at home. Shockingly, both her and my grandpa are now sick with Summer Flu for the first time. Guess my grandpa had it so bad he was hospitalized the last 3 nights, and according to my uncle they didn't even test him for Covid, instead suggesting it might be bronchitis or RSV. They also told my uncle he didn't need to wear his mask in the hospital, lmao.

Thank God for all these tools that are available!

I'm so sorry goon this poo poo sucks :(

Just, so much needless suffering

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/shay_fleishon/status/1692531498576916878

Tl;dr: the guy who I think spotted this one thinks it no longer qualifies as Omicron.

make sure you get your swab technique right more then ever, with this sort of highly derived variant you want to get it done as correctly as possible to get good results.

https://twitter.com/DrEricLevi/status/1473185815597510656?t=h8U2Lbu8DG5sS4cf8nvwoQ&s=19

I hate elong so loving much the goddamn blue check "click link to show more" thing reloads the loving thread each time to focus on the one tweet, and hides the others so you can never just read everything at a glance.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

AK-47 posted:

Hey thread, got a quick question. My SO and I both caught covid at the same time/place and we're now at a point 9 days on and after a course of paxlovid that she is testing negative but I'm still positive despite feeling mostly normal again. Is there a chance I could re-infect her with the same thing we already had? We're just trying to figure out if I should be in isolation or how to handle being together in the same space.

extremely unlikely, vanishingly so.

if this was a thing you'd see endless ouroboros reinfection circulation within households

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

one week pre-positive periods

anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who popped positive this month were symptomatic for a long time before they got a red line

Rescue Toaster posted:

That's very concerning in terms of paxlovid treatment.

But for screening I suppose it's less concerning than increased pre-symptomatic timelines.

this is actually exactly how a simulated virus would respond to being aggressively confronted with the set of treatment guidelines and screens we've set up around paxlovid

lmaooooo

Oops! All evolutionarily tautological!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

holy loving poo poo hahaha

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's absolutely not ACTUALLY due to paxlovid exerting selective pressure but it's eerie how (also anecdotal, nobody has really confirmed a delayed test presentation statistically) it shifts to be maximally evasive lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh no, HAwaiian Number is sad

we'll have to do extra grift somewhere else in the country to make up for it! Si se puede!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao here you go employee shove these glowing prosthetics up your nose

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

People hoarding a prescription drug they don't need is a good way to make that drug harder to get for everyone.

It happened during H1N1. Bunch of people caused a run on tamiflu and the CDC put out new guidelines restricting its use.

there isn't anyone doing this with paxlovid though. nobody knows about it or thinks it's necessary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yikes I been wondering about how you fared, sorry goon

huge sympathy for people with young children, there's no path that's easy :(

hope you feel better soon. oh lol also christ you're in florida too god drat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Leana says go get vaaax immunity
soon it will protect the herd
so I can't help but be confused
when messaging becomes blurred

oh the herd is gonna be fine
will we lockdown for the first time?
oh the herd is gonna be fine
and accumulating clots in your mind

honey honey

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Petey posted:

what did show up in the clinical data is that if you wait longer and do it in the second week — the inflammatory phase — it's too late. in fact, we almost lost paxlovid because pfizer designed the drug trial wrong the first time around and was administering an anti-viral in the second week, after the viral replication phase was over, and it didn't show efficacy. there were a group of infectious disease docs — daniel griffin from twiv was one of them iirc — who intervened and pointed this out.

re: the phase of the acute infection. this is supported by that (to me) pretty comprehensive study that proposed the bone marrow cell / platelet circulation model too. at a certain point the "virus" isn't what is directly loving your up.

... farid jalali has had to go protected since he posted the writeup which is a great indicator of how X The Everything App is going, gently caress me I can't even link to the tweet or find the paper now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RandomBlue posted:

softball sized tumor.

nexous posted:

mines golf ball sized

:stonk: :stonk:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah I only remotely know one person (through my wife, I haven't met them) who died of covid but we had a pet and 3 or 4 other people die of cancer during the pandemic so far. Not downplaying covid at all but cancer has been real bad in my circle.

yeah i bitched about it earlier but my best friends mom started acting erratically while visiting family abroad. he and his father are doctors and were like "oh poo poo we know what's happening" and even given an immediate correct diagnosis and their combined insanely accomplished team of professional interventions three weeks later (Tuesday) she was dead of a glioma

loving sucks I'm sorry goon, everything is just death nowadays

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it fucks up your immune system across the board, the immune system helps keep precancerous and already malignant cells in check to a certain extent. no other crazy mechanism necessary. it doesn't CAUSE cancer. it just wrecks some of the body's ability to stop cancer

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

speng31b posted:

A little bit of googling

speculation or random Internet BS.

great distinction!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lacrosse posted:

When I was in school you could only miss like 10 days total, excused or not, before it was threatened to hold you back a grade. How are they letting kids move up?

Just signing the papers anyway

rules are fake if you're in charge

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bedpan posted:

I would like to avoid getting COVID

Apologies in advance to the people who think this is a controversial position to have

further i will post random nonsense if i fuckin feel like it jesus christ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

speng31b posted:

I think the new thread rules stop short of making this off limits, but the spirit of the rule is to prevent just taking some public figure and speculating about their health. That avenue of discussion can lead to weird stuff. I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all except when I looked into the Paramore thing I found that they not only hadn't claimed to have COVID but also had recently postponed concerts and directly blamed COVID in the past, so it isn't even as straightforward a situation as just commenting on the COVID case of some random celebrity. Seems to be a pretty hot topic even in the "Paramore community" since they were viewed as a pretty COVID-cautious performer up until maybe last year?

Personally I'd recommend to avoid that kind of stuff especially since the speculation was beyond just "did they have COVID" and was specifically

which is, just in my personal opinion, kind of taking that speculation too far.

when you describe a person as a "public figure" it is an explicit framing of them generally being subject to speculation in this exact fashion.

mawarannahr posted:

i just reported a post for implying Biden has dementia and not a stutter. hth your work.

exactly.

i mean i know the goal of the wannabe cop babies who kramer into the thread, extrapolate one post into fantasies of the murderous hordes (?) of deranged, slavering health zealots (??), and then whine about edge cases for pages on end is to stop all posting, because why bother. Why bother posting anything at all.

not every loving topic requires a Policy. there is literally nowhere else on this subforum that even APPROACHES the level of scrutiny that simple, boring posts are subject to here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected." When my parents had COVID earlier this year, they called a free hotline from the state of Washington, were prescribed paxlovid via a telehealth appointment, and had a prescription waiting at their pharmacy within 30 minutes. Again all of this for free. They also offered free home delivery. I know many other states have similar programs that are still operating including NY and CA.

hell yeah, representative-of-the-country states like Washington, New York and California!

a real fuckin slice-of-life of living in the ol' USA, my experience of having A Pharmacy and definitely NOT being nickle-and-dimed every step of every healthcare interaction.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
exceptional timing to remind posters who don't read that there was Actually Real discussion of "stockpiling" or "hoarding" anything

there was! Rosalind said so!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
jesus christ

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Exactly, nobody is "stockpiling" Paxlovid or encouraging anyone to blindly take it. It's once again a narrative manufactured by the people looking to get this thread shut down. They're deliberately and disingenuously interpreting casual language in the most bad faith way possible. It's "Lisa's going to marry a carrot" horseshit.

I know, that's my point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
not to keep posting about posting but this is 80% an apology:

Rosalind posted:

Nearly every post I make here is interpreted in the most bad faith way possible so welcome to the club it sucks.

Forgive me/many of us for being touchy, I'm sorry, because I've seen and appreciated your other posts.

To me, not to speak for others, as a leftist poster and regular/frequenter of this thread, who has watched the material reality of the pandemic play out for the last 4 years now, witnessing someone rationalize their perspective by saying

Rosalind posted:

Paxlovid is free federally right now (and from what I've read there will be federal programs to keep it low cost even after it's not free in the Fall which is stupid and bad but I don't think it's going to be impossible to obtain for most people still)

Is, on a good-faith read, doe-eyed and naive. A law or a rule made by the biden administration and the CDC doesn't loving matter, and it never has. JZSG made this point well:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol america doesn't care if you get sick and die. protect yourself, no one will help you

it's rule 1A. it's been the topic of political discussion for nearly 20 years now. accept it, behave accordingly.

Your personal experience of third parties being somewhat-adequately served by the more-extant relics of a crumbling society is fine. It's not representative nor is it relevant to the larger point at hand, which is the question of whether We Have The Tools, as bedpan has pointed out.

Nobody said anything about stockpiling or hoarding, and use of those words in your post is exactly what starts the goon telephone (hence my post and WAIST's reply, an accurate assessment) that ends up being railed against in SAD threads. In a bad faith reading, this type of blase just the facts ma'am rules-quoting gish gallop IS often used and has been used as a concern troll, in the past and present, by idiots to do exactly what is happening right now. it derails and frankly eliminates desire for participation in the thread at all. That's the goal.

silicone thrills already made this point better than I could

silicone thrills posted:

There was another user implying that hoarding was going to take paxlovid out of someone elses mouth.

The problem that happens with this thread is some times really obvious sealioning posters makes having conversations with reasonable folks difficult because it ends up crossing the streams.

anyway just post. cherries jubilee and that's it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Corrigenda posted:

Even if this is said in jest, which viewing your previous posts in the threads its not, this is akin to "don't listen to doctors." This is the sort of crap that needs to be curtailed for this threads culture to change.

you could just not read it and therefore not worry a single lick about ~tHrEAd cULtuRe~, poster who's never posted in the entire subforum of CSPAM before today

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phigs posted:

I think, ultimately, people are just going to have to accept that this thread is going to be skeptical of medical authorities. We've seen doctors prescribing Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine and all sorts of quackery. We see doctors recommend against masking in public. We've seen doctors recommend cloth masks over n95 respirators. This whole entire pandemic is multiple levels of authority and the medical field showing its rear end. We're living through a horrifically, horrifically mismanaged pandemic. Listen to doctors is just bullshit in this climate.

It's a good idea in general to listen to medical practitioners. But there needs to be a place to discuss the possibility that individual doctors are wrong. There are lines that should not be crossed, but I think we can attack those as they come. I don't think a blanket rule of trust doctors is good for the thread. If someone comes in here saying their doctor prescribed them Ivermectin for COVID are we just supposed to go "listen to your doctor"? What if their doctor says Paxlovid is unnecessary because they're fit? That's bullshit some doctors do say. If their doctor says it's bad because of meds they're taking or their condition or what have you, then absolutely they need to listen to their doctor. But if their doctor is just making straight up ignorant claims the thread should be able to point out those claims are ignorant.

yeah further posters here always hedge suggestions with "check with your doctor if you're on any other even remotely risky pharmaceutical or if you have kidney issues"

it's all bad faith readings all the way down, and again, literally nothing else is the target of this level of scrutiny here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

Thank you. I apologize for being a bit harsh in my replies as well.

You know a week ago I thought this thread shouldn't exist. I no longer believe that. It's generally benign and I think most people here are posting genuinely and considerately. I came in here expecting to be driven out with pitchforks and torches but mostly people are chill.

I don't subscribe to the particular sense of a doomed, crumbling society that many people in this thread do. I think the US is a big mess and awful in a million ways but I fundamentally have the naïve and doe-eyed hope that it will get better. As a queer woman and second generation immigrant living in a blue city in a blue state, I feel safer now than I did 20 years ago. I recognize I have a lot of privileges though in that regard and in terms of my employment, education, etc that insulate me from the worst of the realities of modern America. I will try to better consider this when I write my posts.

Still, I am going to continue posting from my perspective as long as I am welcome to do so. I can't promise I'll never argue, but I recognize that people here mean well and we're all just trying to stay healthy in a deeply hosed up world.

:3: thanks. Sorry again.

and honestly the knee-jerk defensive posting parry-and-riposte style that a lot of "discussions" devolve to can be a big problem. a lightly-hostile shitpost that is funny and just basic bullshit in a CSPAM Tone risks being misinterpreted as a personal attack, but around these parts it's just the style. whether that's bad, I dunno, it's just been the thing. I can see a real... trend of late where it has gotten subtly worse, however, it's because there's an obvious attempt to just troll this thread out of existence.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Corrigenda posted:

No serious physician is going to be recommending Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine. You should of course find a different doctor if your current ones say that. You should also report them to their board as no competent doctor should be prescribing those as a current course of care. Prescribing those is absolutely not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations. But if a doctor tells you Paxlovid is unnecessary for you then that is not wrong advice!

You and everyone else in this thread are NOT health care professionals. To use this idea that some tiny percentage of doctors have told you to do the wrong thing and thus take that as a talking point for "all physicians are bad and you should second guess every one" like you are saying here, is completely ignorant and dangerous. These "jokes" are the poo poo that needs to change culture wise in this thread.

please don't disparage doctors like this, they are all Very Serious

You know what else is not the current guidance of any of the large medical associations? Wearing a face mask of any sort or ventilating fresh air in healthcare/hospital settings in the midst of an ongoing pandemic driven by an airborne pathogen

What is though, is washing your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*concentrating on the soap and water from the spigot as hard as I can*

Twinkle twinkle little star