Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Thank you thread. Getting the pax from t2t was free and easy. Shipped overnight from KY to my door. I answered the questions and had a small chat with the doc. No pics needed, just said I've been sick for a day or two and tested positive. It took next year's price to motivate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I had some throat irritation yesterday morning and increased irritation this morning. We rode bikes to the park and I was feeling a little more tired than usual. I used a Lucira test from the pile and it showed positive. The Lucira expired in October 2023 so I took a current Abbot test to confirm but it showed negative. My wife had a sore throat a week ago but never tested positive so I'm wondering if I have one of the not covid diseases. We want to play it safe. Family tested negative with current tests. I'm isolating in the bedroom wearing a vflex. I'm just sitting here with a laptop so I searched and do not see a date extension for the Lucira on https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests. I'm having thoughts trying to rationalize a false positive: it was expired, the other test was negative, etc. but we'll stay isolating.

The next decision is to start paxlovid or not. I have 5 days of pax and another 5 days are ready at CVS. I used Sesame Care (https://sesamecare.com/covid) and the visit was free for me in CA. A Texas doctor called me immediately. I was still clicking through the pages. I'm going back and forth about taking the pax now or waiting for more symptoms. I know the earlier the better but it is a limited resource and I only want to use it if I have Covid. This is my first positive test result ever. I'd say symptoms started Friday so that is day 0, today is day 1, so I think I'll wait to start paxlovid until I have a positive test from a not expired test or if symptoms worsen by Sunday or Monday, day 2 or 3.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Thank you for the perspective. The logic about when to treat is so simple but now that it's me I find myself making excuses. Last night I tested negative. Today I had the slightest grey line on an accesbio test. I'm reading this as a positive confirming I have covid. It continued to get bluer as time went on. I started paxlovid this morning. Thank you thread for helping me prepare for this.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm on my second day of paxlovid, day 3 of infection. The gross taste is about the same as when I forget to brush my teeth in the morning but metallic. My symptoms are some body aches, runny nose, headache, occasional cough, occasional sneeze, more often clearing throat. I'll be happy if symptoms stay at this level.

The hardest part is isolation. I'm able to work from home but I'm a danger to my family. We have masks, air cleaners, and enough rooms that we don't overlap but it is hard when my daughter is asking to play legos.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm on day 9. On day 6, I started testing every 12hr in the hope to end isolation with two negative tests 48 hrs apart. I tested negative each time on day 6, 7, and 8. The only symptom I had was feeling tired sooner so we ended isolation. Today I had a lot of mucus, a spicy allergy nose, dry coughing, and lots of blowing nose. Still feeling tired sooner. I feel like I had a big run earlier today. Reading the guidance, I've technically met the criteria to end isolation but I think we'll play it safe and isolate again.

I remember being in a meeting and the VP just back from being out with covid having the same symptoms as me now He was muttering "drat summer allergies." At the time I took that as excuse for us but now I think he was trying to convince himself it was only allergies.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

So what's the infectiousness window like post-symptom onset these days? A coworker of my wife's is flying in for a multi-day meeting and they pozzed about two weeks ago. I'm feeling less than sanguine about it.

The numbers I have memorized are 50% are contagious at day 5 and 5% at day 21.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Today is day 10 for me. I have a lot of mucus, a spicy nose, some sneezes, and occasional coughs. Like the worst allergies I've ever had. I still tested positive this morning and this evening. I'm also pretty tired like I hiked up a mountain this morning.

Today my wife tested positive for the first time. Day 0. She started paxlovid this evening. We tried to isolate but it wasn't enough. I had 48 hours of negative tests so we ended isolation and we had our normal routine from Sunday morning to Monday evening. I developed symptoms at work and tested positive that evening and we went back to isolating. A cytokine storm.

Now it is the two of us isolating to protect my daughter. Very frustrating.

I was listening to TWIV 1078 and they talked about a paper showing that pushing through covid exhaustion can cause muscle necrosis so that's cool. I have a hard time just resting so these little tidbits help me deal with my resting guilt.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Day 13 for me and I'm still testing positive. I swear the line is not quite as bold as it has been. I think my cytokine storm is coming to an end. I have much less mucus and almost no spicy feeling in my nose. I feel congested and I'm still getting tired quickly but not out of breath. My watch estimates my energy levels and I'm seeing numbers that I would normally see at the end of the day but it is before lunch. My heart rate quickly goes up to 90-110 just walking around and I"ll see it at 60-70 resting. I was dozing on the couch last night and saw it dip into the 50s for the first time since sick. That would be normal before so I'll take it as a good sign. Thankfully I'm still WFH and have the blessing to continue as much as I need.

Day 3 for my wife. She's tired but feeling better. She's using sick time. They won't let her back to work for 10 days or if she tests negative with HR. We were laughing about the new California guidelines. Her school was one of the first to open up to the public and now they have a restrictive policy? Also, the self reporting form has confusing questions like "how many employees have you had close contact with" zero, followed by "click here confirm you haven't had close contact with anyone." She's a teacher and she taught a class full of students. They're not employees but aren't they people? She's working with HR and it was all employee focused. She asked about the students and HR said well they're part of another organization so HR can like drop a memo in their inbox but nobody really reads the inbox so why put something there. HR will do it if we really want tho.

My daughter is still testing negative and has no symptoms. She understands the challenges of isolating and is doing a great job but we're having to navigate some big feelings about it. We had blow ups coming home from school and later getting in the car. The isolation is the hardest part for us.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Pingui posted:

Has anyone in the thread received free Paxlovid that looks like this?

And if so: how and where?

Our boxes have been the same and match the google image search for paxlovid. My wife is on her second box for the 10 day treatment. First was from CVS and second from T2T. She notes an obvious change in the degree of paxlovid mouth. The CVS box had a very strong taste and reminded her of the moment immediately after vomiting, leading to some nausea. The T2T box had a much weaker flavor and is manageable. I don't have the info but I think T2T was several months older. It had an expiration extension paper with it.

My wife has been testing negative since day 6. We were talking about how I probably got her infected when we ended isolation in the days before my cytokine storm/paxlovid rebound. If the second phase is a function of ending paxlovid, than she is also at risk of having a similar result on a similar timeline and exposing us so she'll isolate through day 13 or 14. We originally planned to end her isolation Friday night Day 11 if things continued to go well so this only adds a couple more nights on the couch. I'm glad she's having such a mild time.

Our symptoms now are just higher HR and easy exhaustion. Today is day 9 for her and 19 for me. My daily activities are normal except for running the dog. I'm walking the dog about a mile a day. Usually we're running 2-4 miles every other day. I'm not even trying to run until March. Energy wise, I only hit the wall a handful of times. I remember at one point walking home from my daughter's school and there is a slight incline that got my heart going and I started sweating and thinking this might be too much but made it home. I haven't noticed any brain issues but I'm not in the best position to judge. My daughter is still testing negative and has had no symptoms.

I printed a calendar at the beginning and am reviewing the numbers: symptoms and isolation for the household has lasted 21 days and is on track to last 24 or 25. We've used 3 boxes of paxlovid and 67 tests so far. Mostly RATS and 1 Luciera and 3 or 4 Metrix. Maybe 10-12 masks? I don't really track them. Thank you thread for the links to mask reviews and deals. We've each found the best mask for us and get them in bulk. And thank you for the deals on RATs. I had some 25EA boxes that came out to a few dollars per test.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

we're each 1/1 on rebounds.

This is phase 2, the cytokine storm. Next is the coagulation phase. Take it easy for a long time to clear any clotting and let your body heal. Monitor pulse ox. Mine was in the low 90s for a week after the cytokine storm. Now it is 96-99.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Measles's effect on immunity debt is like the ending of fight club.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Everybody in the building drops what they're doing to make billions of Tyler Durdens until all the debt melts.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Sinus-to-air mucus

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Zantie posted:

Is the "bringing this to my attention again" to imply they've been waiting for a reply from the CDC so long that they realize they should follow up? Maybe there's an internal push locally to start posting their own calculation rather than copy&pasting what's off the CDC site? Who knows! But yay for someone down here paying attention :toot:

I can see it as the bun of their message sandwich. They can't just end with the meat.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Cool, any cost? Did you use insurance?

bred
Oct 24, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Edit: oh and I probably caught it going to see my cardiologist at the hospital for a check up.

Cardi FFFF

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Wow, another Ooof Wolff?

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I recommend to continue to mask and isolate in the good days after pax and before phase 2. The timing shows that I most likely infected my wife in that time. I stopped isolating after 48hrs of negative tests and we had a nice Sunday as a family. Monday and Tuesday I started getting symptoms and returned to isolation. My wife started feeling symptoms around Wednesday.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
$77 to ship to me and $6 off a 50 pack.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Flu C! I'm home!

bred
Oct 24, 2008
The mail order ones were free in Dec and didn't touch my insurance. The pharmacy ones used my insurance on file at CVS.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I can never be HIM.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

all the boys down the docks are absolutely certain of their status for these four viral infections, we're havin a blast

Darkest line buys the first round!

My order should arrive today. Tracking shows it got through LA customs.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
The Austrian triple dipper booger tests came today. Good til Jan 2026. Thanks for the tip!

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Spring time for filters is an unfortunate mnemonic.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
At least he's raising awareness of havana hard time.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Valentine's Day has historically created a baby boom in November. This year, we can expect a vessel burst in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008

sonatinas posted:

very cool a relative’s Dr is suggesting the booster may have contributed to their ALS diagnosis. and this is at a Vanderbilt.

a previous Dr blamed the vaccine on a mis diagnosis of some other neurological issue.

Yes, the mounted antlers are sharp and might have hurt you. No, don't worry about the cloud of bulls in the air.