Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fosborb posted:

every time I have visited St Louis I've had a 104 fever

hard not to take it personally

Every time I've been to Texas they had to take my gallbladder out. I'm afraid to go back since I'm all out of gallbladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

hailthefish posted:

Puzzling, you post in this thread, and yet you believe the doctors when they tell you that you don't have any more gallbladders.

I am very smart.

We all watched the CDC bow to the antacids lobby and reduce the number of gallbladders per person from 10 to 5.

Fun fact, I asked the surgeon if I could have my gallbladder after they removed it from my body, and he said no because they needed to present it to some insurance guy to prove they weren't just performing fake surgeries. Then they charged me 100,000 dollars. Which I'm never going to pay.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr. Pizza posted:

I noticed hidrb.com wasn't in the list of Paxlovid providers in the OP and I want to chime in that I got pax through them just last week, $15, never had to actually talk to anyone. Literally took 3 minutes from submitting the thing to receiving email confirmation that it was approved and the prescription had been sent to my local pharmacy. I said I was unvaccinated, former smoker, and moderately overweight.

I also did Sesame but had to talk to a person via video, otherwise easy.

and lol all the expiration dates have been scratched out by hand

I've also had no problem with hidrb, but apparently they have in the past requested a photo id and/or a photo of a positive test (IIRC they only wanted a positive test from me, thank you photoshop) so it's a couple of extra hoops to jump through. It's still the cheapest though so I stuck with it.

RIP to a real one, either the guy or the variant

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Are these new boosters going to cost money?

lol yeah, $100-ish

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

brugroffil posted:

Hi thread what's the latest on new boosters?

e: mainly wondering if there's any firm timing yet, I know they're not going to be free etc

Coming beginning/end of September, maybe? There was apparently some fuckery with the ending of the emergency that resulted in them taking more time to come out.

Rick posted:

Anyone here do trucking? In my imagination you could stay pretty covid safe despite all the driving around but maybe I'm missing something.

Not a trucker but as someone who spends a lot of time at truck stops :dance: they're not always most welcoming of masking. I tend to get more remarks behind my back/fake coughing/fake coughing that turns into real coughing at those sorts of places than anything else.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

Doctors and scientists who study Covid-19 agree that for most people, getting infected for a second — or third or fourth — time is basically inevitable.

(Padme face) :) Per lifetime, right?

(Padme face) :( Per lifetime, right?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

quote:

So, when the 1918 Pandemic began to spread throughout the US, most authorities used the influenza’s spread as a justification for the continued usage of widespread censorship. The Public Health Commissioner of Chicago once stated, “Worry kills more people than the epidemic”, a sentiment held by many other US public health officials.

Furthermore, few contradicted the official line held by the federal government due to the restrictive measures put in place on speech and because Rupert Blue, the US Surgeon General, had said there was nothing to worry about.

Sounds like the author wasn't listening to the Surgeon General and thus, to science

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As long as we're posting our greatest hits, I've had this image saved for like two years and thankfully never had the opportunity to use it (the one time I caught covid I managed to not give it to anybody).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1693271300460962195

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

Apologies if this is starting to get off-topic, but christ I cannot imagine having money and wanting to go to Applebee's. I don't have money and don't want to go to Applebee's. What is wrong with America's rich?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Further on the horse paste discussion, a reminder that a doctor in Arkansas was running his own little captive research group by secretly treating all the covid positive inmates in a Washington County jail with ivermectin

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073846967/arkansas-inmates-ivermectin-lawsuit-covid-19

That's just one example of a doctor prescribing ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine, there were a bunch more posted in the older threads. There were also a bunch of bullshit studies that were being used by the pro-ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine crowd(I think there was a big study out of Pakistan that was getting quoted a lot?) as well as similar studies for palm oil and other bullshit cures

Starting a SAD thread about these inmates not being willing to trust their doctor.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Demilich posted:

Part of me wonders if they've actually caught it a few times previously and were simply asymptomatic, and now that they've caught it enough times it's to the point where being asymptomatic is no longer possible.

They never had covid, as they tested negative on an expired RAT that they briefly inserted into their nose. They have, however, had three of those summer colds we all remember people getting all the time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Just reminded of the time about a year ago when I took a tour of some old underground tunnels and the tour guide started handing out masks. One or two people scoffed, and she said, "It's not for covid, it's really musty down there." Which caused the skeptics to mask up super quick lest they catch... must.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With actual natto, the texture is more of a barrier than the taste, IMO. It's pretty good with a raw egg mixed into it but we can't do that in America since our eggs are hosed.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

nexous posted:

of loving course they did. the flu literally disappeared! gone! none of it when we tried.

I still can't believe this isn't widely known. Half-assed disease control measures killed half the flu. Like, assuming governments were capable of handling this sort of thing, they could have gone, "Covid has died out, but we're gonna lock down for an extra week just in case and to see if we can get rid of one of the seasonal cold variants and eradicate the flu for good. Here's food and $2000." Better worlds are possible, we just choose not to live in them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

I got the sense that Japans inbound travel was heavily restricted, is that wrong?

Yeah, that stayed in effect until like... September of last year, I think? All inbound travelers had to quarantine, unless they were Japanese nationals in which case it was "please don't go anywhere for 2 weeks, kthx bye" and then people would immediately go out to, uh, I guess Saizeriya is the Japanese equivalent of Applebee's. Of course, there was plenty of homegrown covid to go around.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Delta-Wye posted:

im happy to see itt mods agree with me - people making pharmaceuticals to combat the pandemic are clearly pandemic profiteers and should be punished

*sees a worker standing over a cooler of syringes* What do we have here? Looks like somebody's hoarding vaccines!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

This is either a fancy new fortune telling method or a chart of Catholic feast days.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

Seems bad.
"Scientists Sound the Alarm: COVID-19 Virus Is Rapidly Evolving in White-Tailed Deer"

Article proper:
"Accelerated evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in free-ranging white-tailed deer"

drat it's crazy how much time these deer are spending indoors.

I bet fish are doing pretty good against the novel coronavirus because they're usually in schools.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's likely impossible to track, but I'd like to see how infectivity correlates with people bothering to give a poo poo about covid. A mutation needs to be fit when some people are actually trying to stop it from spreading, but now? Any old variant will do.

I've been debating whether or not to post about this just because of how rattled it left me, but I've been out traveling this week and when I was at Yellowstone, some fuckhead ripped my mask off in the parking lot. I had just been to see Old Faithful and was putting my bike back on the car when I heard some giggling, I turned around and two beefy dudes were there, one of them with his hand in my face. I was too surprised for any kind of witty retort, so I just batted him away and got in my van.

It was a pretty low-risk situation (I was about to take it off anyway, lmao) and it's been several days since then so I figure I'm in the clear, but christ, I can't even post what I hope happens to that fucker. Anyway, southeastern Wyoming is nice as well, never been here before.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thanks for the various comiserations, not quoting any because I'm phone posting from an empty field in Nebraska.

It is possible to both be horny and have covid (until your dick stops working).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I've been using epothex for the last two weeks, can't really comment on its efficacy obviously cause I haven't gotten sick lol. It has a bit of burn when you spray it, because of the preservative / alcohol ingredients that I think are solvents for whatever gunk it claims to be "active".

However my nose is very clear and happy! It has iota carageenan and doesn't require some shady intermediary or insane international shipping for access in the USA? Better than nothing.

I am not a doctor, but I'd bet a good deal of the efficacy of the various nasal sprays is just putting something in your nose. Like just spraying distilled water up in there would probably do something. Who's to say whether it's 10% or 40% or 70% as effective as saline, but it's just a bit of hygiene that a lot of people don't do. I sure as hell never cleaned my nose. Likewise with the mouthwash thing, gargling with tap water is probably good for you. Every anti-covid message in Japan emphasized washing your hands and gargling, and at the time I would make fun of them for saying that gargling would stop covid, and then it turns out it might actually work lol.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Steve Yun posted:

are confined Covid concert cancellations kosher here

https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1698141296416731198?s=46

"Did the test come back positive?"

YEAAAAAAUHAAAAHHHHH-UH!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

I checked out Ontario's guidance for Paxlovid out of curiosity:

• 18–59 years of age and is at higher risk of severe COVID-19. Patients at higher risk of severe COVID-19 include:
Those who have one or more comorbidity that puts them at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease OR

Like, that's just everybody. Find me someone over the age of 18 who hasn't ever gotten covid and doesn't have any comorbidities. There's probably like 200 people total and they're all on some sort of government list to be ushered into the vaults when the nukes come. This is what people are gatekeeping so hard?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PoundSand posted:

The talk of potential masking at a few of the gov jobs we do at my company has come up and people are very mad about it. Old man inspector, that mind you is never going to be going to the site or have to mask anyways as he is strictly in desk jockey territory, went into a long winded rant about having heard the science on his radio stations that covid is too small and no known mask can stop it from getting through.

Tell him that N95s can't stop virus particles, but they can stop shedding particles produced by the vaccinated.

Dr. Dr. Jill Biden probably has more drugs in her system right now than an entire Berlin underground rave club, her blood type just comes back as "No"

Rochallor has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Sep 8, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
DeSantis probably racked up at least a quadruple digit death count with his various covid policies (beyond the baked in 50,000 or so every governor has) in his vain attempt to become President, which currently has him in a dead heat with Vivek Ramaswamy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jizzny Princess posted:

In some other, still pestilence related news, new strain of mutated avian flu is popping off.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...edda63d084&ei=7

*reflexively* bird flu uh, can't spread in schools

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

maxwellhill posted:

post-nasal drip is a symptom of damaged tissue, because dripping is normal but you're never supposed to perceive it unless the nerves got sensitized somehow. can happen with upper respiratory acid reflux i think

has anyone ever investigated the long term safety of these cold sprays? most seem marketed for short term, not daily prophylaxis forever. never seen any potential harms of them talked about. are there any long term?

All mine says on the bottle is USE AS OFTEN AS NEEDED.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR, however in terms of ingredients I don't see how spraying your nostrils once or twice a day is fundamentally different from swimming in the ocean daily. It's just salt and water and occasionally a binding compound

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Because flu shots are just shots, they're not vaccines, thus perfectly safe

-an actual argument I've seen made

BRB, stealing a tranq rifle from the zoo and loading it up with 5.56 vaccine cartridges

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's not like Novavax is a miracle drug. There is apparently some value in being, I forget what the phrase is, but basically "immunologically interesting" where you immunity comes from a variety of sources instead of 4/5/6 Pfizer shots. So having a bunch of shots of different make is better, but that doesn't make the new mRNA one useless.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Making my appointment and apparently the actual name of the Pfizer shot is SPIKEVAX. Why the hell aren't people calling it that, that rules

Edit: See below

Rochallor has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Sep 13, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BusError posted:

I'm just about through my bottle of Enovid and I'd like to replace it with some iota carrageenan spray instead of dropping another jillion dollars on something that by all accounts works less well. US goons who have purchased some, where'd you get it? I've pretty skeptical of getting anything that really needs to be the genuine article from Amazon, but that's all I've found via googling...

You can just buy epothex from epothex dot com, that's about as secure as you're gonna get when it comes to online stuff. They have a bunch of brands, make sure you're buying the iota carrageenan one which is the sticky stuff.

road potato posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I assume that you mean 'people who are asking questions but not fully folowing the thread orthodoxy of 100% safety precautions. FWIW, I feel like the thread has been a super helpful place for mostly-lurkers like myself who don't take the full-tilt set of precautions like many others.

The wedding and reception are outside, and we won't be doing any indoor dining while traveling. Thanks to the thread's mask guidance (way better than other sources) I haven't gone to any public indoor space without my 3m Aura. I'm the only teacher at my school who still wears a mask throughout the day, and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom. Sometimes we have friends over in our home, and we have HEPA filters running in every room. We tried to do as much socializing as we could this summer when it was easy for people to go with the outdoor option, and we're gonna be avoiding any big indoor gatherings this winter. Only doing takeout from restaurants, or dining at places with big areas for outdoor dining.

I traveled for a wedding this summer, and I am now I'm going to another. I think the risk-reward tradeoff for this scenario is probably worth it, particularly taking precautions while we travel.

I have a feeling there are a ton of folks who are about at this level of precaution. Doing things to reduce risks, but with a higher risk tolerance than some of the folks in the thread. I dunno much that makes us 'open biden' folks. I wish there was a greater level of public precaution too, and I was thankful to be teaching outside of the US in 2020-2022.

This thread has been a huge help in explaining how covid actually works; how it's not some capricious ghost targeting people at random. You can't bargain or reason with it, but you can prevent it with a pretty drat high degree of certainty. If you just wear a properly fitted N95 mask (assuming nobody rips it off your face) you can basically live like it's 2019! I wish I would have known that while I was messing around with a surgical mask for years. For all the poo poo the thread gets it's made me much less afraid.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Abraham Lincoln, tragically after-birth aborted by the coward John Wilkes Booth

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I also got a call from Walgreens canceling my appointment because they hadn't gotten their shipment yet. Good to see that everybody's on the ball about this

Louisgod posted:

vegas shouldn't exist and it's depressing that people think going there to spend all your money on lovely alcohol is a vacation

counterpoint: vegas is fun and all the fun things about it you can do wearing a mask

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

U-DO Burger posted:

This has been an interesting day

Now that the whole family is tested, my parents are negative, and so is my 6yo (wtf how). My 9yo however tested positive, so that gives us 4 COVID cases and 3 people who need to dodge it.

test2treat.org worked for me, and I got a Paxlovid prescription sent to Walgreens, who said that my insurance won't cover it and to pay out of pocket. My wife, however, submitted her information and got no response at all. So we tried a different telehealth service, Color. The first visit was a dud; the doctor logged into their Zoom call and couldn't hear us and so she ended the visit and had us fill out all the forms all over again.

The second time worked, but the pharmacist denied her Paxlovid, saying that it's been too long. She's felt symptoms since Wednesday, and we thought that would be day 0, with today being day 5, but the doctor said no, today is day 6. The doctor suggested she get Remdesivir, only to stop herself a minute later because oops actually there are no supplies of that drug in Oregon. She apologized for not being able to prescribe anything, and this here is the best part. The doctor told my wife to save her positive test, and then use it to lie to get a Paxlovid prescription the moment she feels sick with anything. That way, she will already have it on hand, and can use it once she tests positive for real. lol. lmao.

So, I've got Pax that wasn't free whereas my wife is SOL with advice from a doctor to lie, cheat, and steal your way to a Pax prescription next time. :shepface:

From now on I'm listening to U-DO Burger's wife's doctor.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fosborb posted:

well that's a hell of a google result

e: jfc, all of the results are loving insane. apparently there's a common view the covid vaccine makes you gain 20+ pounds :psyduck:

This is why you want to get it in a different arm each time, gotta spread the weight around.

I found out the other day that my uncle died of/with covid (we weren't close). This happened about two weeks ago but the nursing home didn't contact my mom until now because they're so short-staffed they didn't have anybody on hand to inform next of kin. Perfectly normal and sustainable, I'm sure.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Saagonsa posted:

A walgreens participating in the Bridge Access Program tried to charge me $182.99 for a covid shot.

A bridge too far.

I was initially signed up for a covid shot and a flu shot, but apparently Walgreens doesn't take my insurance (?) and they wanted to change me $70 for it. And I'm sure this is a thing that has happened to everybody before but it's just loving unbelievable, really. The biggest pharmacy in the country can just go, "nah, we don't do this" and that's just considered normal. gently caress this dumb country.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A couple days ago I started getting a sore throat and some congestion after about 2 weeks of traveling through Canada and New England. Two negative RATs and no progression of symptoms later think I have to admit I somehow dodged covid but did pick up that summer cold that's always going around. Glad it's (probably) not covid but gotta say, being sick sucks! Avoid it if you can!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/GinaShirah81815/status/1708314727422513629
Well poo poo...I just HAD to go and get my booster shot yesterday.

Step 1: Distribute inactivated Marburg virus through vaccines.
Step 2: Activate the virus at a time where barely anybody has gotten vaxxed due to incompetent rollout.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Joe Biden wins 2024 election.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There are a bunch of times I wish I could time travel back to 2018 or so, but even if I could I still wouldn't get on a loving cruise, good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I caught the flu for the first time in my life about three months after I started teaching, went to the doctor and he told me to stay home for five days. At the time I didn't really get that the flu wasn't just a cold and figured I would use the time off to get some shopping done. I tried to walk up one (1) flight of stairs in the mall and felt like I was gonna die. The flu sucks!

Still dunno whether what I had this last week was covid or not. I tested negative on 4 RATs, but I also mostly lost my sense of smell for a couple of days and that's never happened with a cold. I'm just going to assume I had a "mild" case and take it easy for the next couple of weeks.