Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

fosborb posted:

this was a bad data point, right?

seems to be, yes, someone reverse engineered the error

https://twitter.com/KelleyKga/status/1691061955765624832?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

New variant found in Israel, Denmark, Michigan US now spotted in the UK

https://twitter.com/lukebsnell/status/1692437750207611042?s=20

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CDC is on the case

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1692326710262304890?s=20

If you scroll down far enough on their linked safety suggestions, you can even see these rogue government elements recommending N95s, where nobody pays attention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

New BA.2.86 variant now has a nickname, Pirola:

https://twitter.com/TRyanGregory/status/1692545225019773101

Even strain nickname curmudgeon @JPWeiland supports it

https://twitter.com/JPWeiland/status/1692619712729944414

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Currently no community spread of BA.2.86 aka Pirola detected in Austria’s wastewater from last week:

https://github.com/sars-cov-2-variants/lineage-proposals/issues/606#issuecomment-1684906753 posted:

Since there is some discussion about concealed spread due to lack of surveillance, I'd like to share here some negative results too. That is probably unusual, but maybe still helpful.

In the past Austria was often an "early adopter" of emerging VoC/VuM/VoI's, probably due to its role in tourism.
In Austria there is an elaborated wastewater variant surveillance system. From the days August 6th and August 7th, we analyzed together with the Medical University Innsbruck, 30 samples covering ~40% of the Austrian population.

From all the mutations identified to be characteristic of BA.2.86 (i.e., G21941T, C22916T, C22353A, C21711T, C28958A, G26529C, C23604G, A26610G, A22034G, C26833T, C897A, G3431T, T15756A, A22556G, C25207T, C22208T, A7842G, G11042T, T22896A, C24378T, T13339C) only two mutations are found in any sample, those are C26833T and C22208T. They are not found in the same catchment. Both mutations were previously found in other backgrounds.

From our previous assessment of sensitivity I can confidently say that these results indicate that there is no community transmission of BA.2.86 in Austria as of August 7. Even the presence of single individuals is unlikely in monitored catchments, even though it can not be strictly excluded, especially in the larger catchments.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Al! posted:

id be down with osteopaths if they learned how to grow cool looking bone deformations as a body mod. like a spike sticking out of your forehead that kind of thing. osteomancy really

have you read Gideon the Ninth? you should probably read it.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

What's the lady version of this?

two GVS eclipses fashioned into a bra

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Since it was mentioned, interesting side note I saw float by regarding Harvoni/sofosbuvir is that apparently some people are anecdotally having good experiences using it for their Long COVID, and there have been a few studies that show promise. Additionally, it may have had some ameliorative effect during chronic infection. Hopefully more research into antivirals and COVID, both long and acute, will keep happening.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

So speculation about celebrities/performances getting stomped by COVID is bad, but apparently both Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford got knocked out of the production of Sweeney Todd on Broadway by catching confirmed COVID. Since Broadway functions with understudies for robustness and the show did not need to be cancelled, I guess there's no need for anyone to be coy about the cause. Did a little bit of faffing around to see, okay, is this normal?

I concluded no, it isn't normal...because apparently performers are ABSOLUTELY DEDICATED to performing while sick if at all possible! Take this beforetimes article: The Secrets to How Broadway Stars Power Through Colds, Flu and Fatigue. Or this ad riddled clickbait: What should Singers/Performers do when they have a Cold on Stage?, where it talks about testing for COVID and if it's not COVID it's a green light to just push through it with the implication that COVID is a no go zone even if its acute effects are just like those other things. It feels like people are a lot more willing to bow out if the illness can be traced to COVID compared to other illnesses, granted this is just a cursory exploration and I imagine now that we're back to "normal" COVID might join the stable of diseases performers are just supposed to power through soon, assuming they can.

I did find one message board thread talking about a 2013 performance so decimated by flu it had to be cancelled and at one point had somebody who wasn't even an understudy taking a main part--apparently 2013 was a bad flu year.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

https://lunch.publishersmarketplace.com/2023/08/bread-loaf-writers-conference-continues-despite-covid-outbreak/# posted:

Bread Loaf Writers Conference Continues
Despite Covid Outbreak

Bread Loaf Writers Conference at Middlebury College in Vermont continues to operate, amid a Covid-19 outbreak that has resulted in 26 cases so far (over 10 percent of its 220 participants). Participants with Covid have been sent home. The organizers wrote in an email to attendees, shared online by a participant that contracted Covid, that the number of cases "seems to be leveling off." The conference spans ten days.

Organizers also explain a lack of daily communication about the number of cases, writing, "In our conversations with Middlebury's trusted medical advisors, we were strongly urged to turn the emphasis away from reporting the number of cases, which health departments stopped counting awhile ago, focusing instead on hospitalizations which provide a better estimate of how Covid-19 is impacting the community." But they do not note whether any participants have
been hospitalized. The email explains that the conference did not require masking or testing in advance because they were following the college's guidelines, "which are consistent with other colleges and universities as well as the CDC and Vermont Department of Health." They write, "All of us lived through a traumatic pandemic--and not long ago--but we are no longer in a pandemic."

Conference organizers did not respond to PL's request for comment.

We are no longer in a pandemic, I say, as ten percent of my conference attendees fall ill and are disappeared.

Luv 2 send infectious people back home on various transportations!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1695731828206833769 posted:

A short 🧵on a recent study by @MaggieLind2 with @MHitchingsEpi @datcummings Albert Ko et al. Data show that immunity induced by vaccines, prior infection or both (hybrid) protects against SARS-CoV-2 infection when viral exposure is low to moderate (1/)

Question being asked: What is the risk of becoming *infected* with SARS-CoV-2 after developing immunity following a vaccine, prior infection, or both if exposure to the virus is very high, moderate, or low? They did not study the severity of symptoms. (2/)

How? The authors used the existing database of the Connecticut Department of Correction, where infection data based on high frequency of testing for SARS-CoV-2 on ~9300 residents across 13 facilities were available. (3/)

What did they find? Prior infection, vaccination, or both provided significant protection against infection when the exposure was moderate (index case was within their cellblock) or low (no exposure was documented in cellblock co-residents) against Delta or Omicron. (4/)

However, when the viral exposure was intense (with infected cellmate - exposure is 24/7), none of these groups had enough immunity to protect against infection with Delta or Omicron virus. (5/)

These findings suggest that protection conferred by prior infection and vaccination is dependent on the cumulative viral exposure dose. An important question for the future is to determine how much the viral load vs. duration of exposure plays a key role. (6/)

If the protection is indeed dose-dependent, coupling non-pharmaceutical interventions with vaccination would be beneficial because the non-pharmaceutical intervention (masking, ventilation, etc..) reduces viral exposure, resulting in improved levels of conferred protection. (7/)

More broadly, this study answers a fundamental question on the nature of immunity. While the field speculated that immune protection against infection is exposure dose-dependent, data in support were limited. Now this study directly demonstrated this for COVID. (8/)

Their findings suggest the “need for layered interventions to mitigate SARS-CoV-2 spread, especially within dense settings, such as congregate settings, and in settings where prolonged contact is likely, such as households with infected people.” An important message to end 🧵

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Speaking of CR Cubes and PC fans, I recently ran across some...very swank computer fan based CR kits at: https://www.cleanairkits.com/ and am sorely tempted to start replacing our duct taped behemoths with these sleeker ones. They cost a lot more upfront than duct taping a cube to a box fan, but they claim to "match CR Box capacities at 1/5 noise, 1/5 power, and half the footprint." Because they use so little electricity, you can even run them for hours off of a lithium power bank or a cigarette lighter adapter in your car or your laptop. And they've got a tiny double barrel personal HEPA that they say is super quiet and also will run on a power bank.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

At that point you need to cross-shop with regular off the shelf hepa filters on price.

I think you can get a popular commercial HEPA filter for cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to run it on a battery power bank, like say, if you wanted to give your kid something they could tuck under their desk at school, or chuck into the backseat of a car on a road trip. You could get the much recommended Conway Airmega AP-1512HH ($190.58 on Amazon with filters, list price $229.99) cheaper than, say, the XL Luggable (222.00, filters sold separate). But the Conway has a CADR of 296 CMH on the highest setting, uses 77 watts, and produces 58 dBa (source, source). The XL Luggable has a CADR of 550 CMH, uses 10.8 W, and produces 37.3 dBA. So it uses less electricity and is quieter. I don't know how the filtering efficiency would shake out between the Luggable having higher CADR but the Conway having better filtration. The Conway does have an auto mode, which is GREAT if your air filtering concern is smoke or other particulates...less useful if you're trying to use it as COVID prophylactic.

If price is the main concern, duct tape and furnace filters and a box fan it is. And somebody crafty could probably make their own computer fan CR for sure.

One nice thing about most of their options that don't have LEDs in the fans are there's no annoying LEDs to cover up for bedroom usage, too. I've got electrical tape over the Conway interface in my room.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

The Coway Airmega is a HEPA filter (99.97% removal of 0.3um particles), the XL Luggable is a MERV 13 (you could theoretically put whatever furnace filter you want on there but the stated performance is for a Filtrete MPR1900+, which is rated as a MERV 13). MERV 13 is a good filter and this is not to knock Corsi boxes generally, but when you're shelling out dollars (like $250) that could get you a very good HEPA filter, or something like five traditional CR boxes each with a higher CFM than this one fancy one due to filter area, it's worth considering the math:

MERV 13 filtration performance (from https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/what-merv-rating)
0.30-1.0um - at least 50%
1.0-3.0um - at least 85%
3.0-10.0um - at least 90%

The problem is that CADR is only an apples to apples comparison when applied to a certain particle size (the three typical ratings air purifiers get will be against dust, pollen, and smoke, and nobody does a CADR test for light respiratory aerosols. I don't know who these guys selling these things are, but when you are trying to get people to buy a $250 product using about a $150 BOM and home assembly and don't correctly state your filter media performance in your own FAQ, and you're representing a combined smoke/dust/pollen CADR as your "virusCADR" when you should be using your smoke value with a big loving disclaimer that the AHAM test doesn't actually represent light virus-bearing aerosols it's just the closest standardized approximate, that's pretty :goofy:

btw I bought a product from smartairfilters.com and it turned out to be garbage; they've also been fingered for misrepresenting the CADR of their own products when independently verified. I would just avoid them both for their products and statements on their website.

Good to know re: smartairfilters.com, I wasn't able to get some of those numbers from the Amazon.com page so was just rooting around for them.

I don't want to protest any of your good points, but I do feel like they have a FAQ that is pretty explicit about what their various numbers mean and don't mean and what third party testing has been done to which standard and also that the weirdo virusCADR isn't some thing they specifically came up with but theoretically from some HVAC industry group ASHRAE, Standard 241 which I would love to double check more except uh apparently it's $100 to get the PDF for it so I guess I won't?

quote:

One sample each of Luggable 5-Arctic, Luggable 5-SickleFlow, and Luggable XL were tested by Intertek for AHAM AC-1 CADR, AC-2 Noise & Power:

Luggable 5-Arctic: DUST 189 cfm
Luggable 5-SickleFlow: SMOKE 170, DUST 218, POLLEN 236 cfm
Luggable XL: SMOKE 259, DUST 323, POLLEN 370 cfm
Exhalaron: DUST 70 cfm

ASHRAE 241 7.3.2.1 https://t.co/6CVIYhciNx specifies reducing these to a single infectious aerosol CADR via the formula:
VirusCADR = .3*SMOKE + .3*DUST + .4*POLLEN

For our samples so far this average comes out the same as the DUST measurement. Where we have SMOKE, DUST, & POLLEN results we display the VirusCADR, where we have DUST only we display that. Studies of exhaled viral aerosols also show a particulate distribution closest to AHAM DUST.

Full AHAM Verified requires testing 3 samples with Smoke, Dust & Pollen costing ~$5k per model. We have too many models to afford that yet on all. But for optimal fan to filter-area ratios (1 SickleFlow per 1 sq ft of Filtrete 1900), we can extrapolate amongst related models.

Our early development procedures and test results have been publicly shared and documented in this blog:

https://thewiss.blogspot.com/2022/11/at-home-cadr-testing-for-air-cleaner.html

and this Twitter thread compilation:

https://twitter.com/robwiss/status/1594198776159252480?s=20&t=SMK6vguFmoOqlDKWfEJJTA

Rob's elaborate characterization process mimics AHAM laboratory particle detection procedures but uses nebulized salt. He has calibrated his setup against CADR measurements of commercial purifiers by independent laboratories and found agreement, though the results seem to skew closer to AHAM POLLEN than AHAM DUST.

Our stated capacities are also consistent with simpler estimates adding the raw CFM airflow specifications of the bundled fans and multiplying by MERV13's measured 77% viral aerosol filtration efficiency.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Anyway! Long COVID bon mot time. A Swedish newspaper asked readers:

quote:

How has your life changed after the corona pandemic? Have you had any symptoms or problems that you still live with today? Hundreds contacted SVT and told them, read what they wrote here.

And shut down the comments within four hours after receiving a deluge; there is page upon page of people ascribing this or that to their COVID infection, everything from the annoying

quote:

Pork, strawberries and eggs smell like jokes since I had covid 5/12-2020. Even coffee tastes and smells terrible. Cucumber smells like nail polish.

To being bedridden or losing their livelihoods. Some stray comments attribute after effects to the vaccine.

For anyone reading unfamiliar with first year COVID lore, the country Sweden was held up as a model of how to reasonably deal with the coronavirus by COVID minimizers because unlike similarly resourced countries it decided it was just going to let the virus sweep through more or less, though even Sweden did do some restrictions the minimizers don't think much about ("The public health authorities banned gatherings of over 50 people, closed high schools and universities, and advised people to maintain a safe distance.") and many people voluntarily socially distanced, though masking wasn't really a thing. Sweden also used One Weird Trick of just...letting elderly people in nursing homes die without anything more than palliative care, which accounted for around half of Sweden's deaths, which happened at a higher rate than any comparable country. The whole situation even got a name: The Swedish Experiment.

Translated page for perusal

If getting COVID before one was vaccinated increases the chance of long COVID (and I think I've seen studies suggestion that, just not ones that made me want to relax precautions), then it's possible Sweden has a higher proportion of people that ended up with long COVID because they let everything rip before any vaccinations were available.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Aug 31, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Well the fact that the guy is identifying himself and publicly documenting his test procedure makes me feel like it's less likely he's grifting this at least.

Yeah I think it's more side hustleitis, where you've made your very earnest hobby into a small business with no economy of scale.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

August has been a very, uh, full COVID work month for me. Day 1: an email from my team's boss about how me and a bunch of other people should test because we'd all been exposed to someone who recently tested positive. Honestly I was just surprised anybody would bother to notify anyone and that my company still kept rapid tests around for people to use for that, so good on them I guess? I'm one of the few masking hold outs at work, with an elastomeric no less, and between that and the office's excellent ventilation I wasn't particularly concerned on my own account.

Then during a routine update with the guy in charge of all our cluster computers, he talked about ending up bedridden for 10 days from COVID after his trip to headquarters the previous month (he's remote). He did not strike me as a particularly vulnerable person, but it sounded brutal. I don't know if he was the person who caused the previous positive notification, but if so, the notification came WAY too late for anything actionable.

At some point during a videoconference chat, another coworker told me that he's been getting sick so much since he's gotten COVID, like he never has before.

Then while team coworker A was out on a long vacation, another team member B came down with COVID that took them out for a good few days, and I was trying to carry both of their stuff during that time.

B got better, but yesterday coworker A informed us that she's now caught COVID and won't able to come back from across the country until next week. She was supposed to be back today and instead I'm trying to reverse engineer stuff she does and get it done.

During one of my once a week office sojourns, I was moseying through downtown in my respirator and passed by a guy earnestly holding up a sign proclaiming that COVID vaccines kill. Around us, a smattering of morning tourists (all unmasked) were taking selfies and studiously ignoring the freaks in their midst, to my relief and acceptance and I assume sign guy's chagrin.

COVID: It's over!

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Aug 31, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Good news on the Pirola front: some scientists took donor blood from Stockholm and XBB antibodies seem to be able to resist BA.2.86.

https://twitter.com/BenjMurrell/status/1697751452976861524?s=20

I guess that means the upcoming XBB based monovalent booster will help with this new variant after all.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Sep 2, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a reason that RATs haven't updated? Just economically unviable to keep up with variant soup?

If you ignored the money/capitalism parts (yes, big ask, I know) would it work to get a year RAT update? As a layperson it seems like it'd be a lot easier to update something that isn't injected into someone like the vaccines are.

(I know the powers that be say if you don't test you don't have covid, etc.)

I went to try and read up on how the RATs even work on a variant level because I didn't know and this brief NIH explainer talks about how they've done research on this and I guess the RATs as they currently stand have a high robustness to changes in the virus? It seems like the question is whether or not any sample you're giving the RAT has enough viral material in it to detect. A PCR can catch a much smaller amount of virus due to the incredible sensitivity of the process, where it's amplifying what's there over and over until it can be detected.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

uuuuuh somehow doubting the efficacy of a mask that you can straight up see nostrils from below on

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Some people were speculating that but other sources were saying the space had “color changing LED lights”, so who knows what those fixtures actually are.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Here's a paper for folks interested in knowing where a possible next COVID minimization vector is forming:

Long COVID as a functional somatic symptom disorder caused by abnormally precise prior expectations during Bayesian perceptual processing: A new hypothesis and implications for pandemic response, in a journal called Sage Open Med

It puts forth that Long COVID is "real" for the people suffering from it, but lays the blame at the public health approach for inducing fear in the population, thereby giving predisposed people a somatic disorder. All the media scares served as a "nocebo". The lockdowns caused lots of mental illness. They come up with a new term to replace Long COVID: "Pandemic-Response Syndrome"; they also use the term "Long-Pandemic" and "COVID Stress Syndrome". A bunch of citations I haven't dug through yet, talking about weaknesses in papers studying long COVID. (And I mean, yeah, it's in fact really hard to find a control group of uninfected people these days, so if that's the standard I can't imagine how one would ever be satisfied now, oh well guess we'll never know.)

I find it a bit hard to really review this paper because I keep stumbling into things that I'm pretty sure I disagree with, for instance, they cite a paper talking about “[It is] biologically implausible that an infection that is usually mild or asymptomatic in children would commonly result in severe post-infection symptoms.” and I immediately think of post polio syndrome, and then I immediately think of this lady on Twitter talking about learning to stop fearing Polio because it was actually was DDT and heavy metal poisoning and then I just wanna have a lie down and think really hard about how we nearly lost the knowledge to combat scurvy after we figured it out the first time.

But I do think it's valuable to look at papers you know you disagree with and see what the other side is working with in their reasonings and citations.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Pingui posted:

In an abstract sense I agree, but I think that article is veering to far from material reality to grant any insight.

I don't think that the paper is going to give useful insight on material reality. I think it's going to give insight on possible ways people will frame COVID as being Not A Problem, so Nothing Needs To Be Done. It's not a problem because we have the tools. It's not a problem because it's just a cold, just like the flu. It's not a problem because we have previous immunity now, hybrid immunity now. It's not a problem because the hospitals aren't overwhelmed. Low testing, low cases, no problem.

In this instance, COVID is not a problem because Long Covid is just a mental health issue from lockdown and the public health response making people fearful beyond reason, nevermind that I can think of multiple papers finding various biological markers.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Jort Fortress posted:

She literally brought her 5yo old grandkid on a Teams call and let him cough into her mouth, then said "they have strep, not COVID!". :dogstare:

I also like not getting strep throat, what the heck, I got strep throat once aka the throat acne from hell and ended up in a feverish delerium about game theory I did not understand because right before I’d read A Beautiful Mind, and ended up having to go into urgent care and get a shot of antibiotics into my buttocks!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

COVID? Flu? Why not both.

Flu season already in full swing in Japan

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/09/15/japan/science-health/influenza-infections-spread/ posted:

The influenza season is in full swing in Japan after an earlier-than-usual start this year.

The season typically takes place between December and March, but health ministry data for the Sept. 4-10 period, released Friday, showed that the flu is already quickly spreading across the country, leading to school closures in many prefectures.

A number of schools have either suspended individual classes or closed entirely in response to outbreaks of influenza-like symptoms.

Last fall, influenza began to spread in the country for the first time in three years, while the coronavirus also continued to spread across various waves. This season, experts are warning of a possible “twindemic," as the two illnesses are again spreading simultaneously.

The unusual timing and resurgence of the flu have been attributed to a decline in immunity during the COVID-19 pandemic and a loosening of disease prevention restrictions following the downgrade of COVID-19 to a Class 5 illness, putting it in the same category as the seasonal flu.

Another health ministry report released Friday showed that the average number of new COVID-19 patients reported by around 5,000 designated hospitals stood at 20.19, remaining above 20 for the second week in a row.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

what happened to Walensky

https://apnews.com/article/cdc-director-walensky-resigns-d0755409e7c0934e14b212589ce388b9# posted:

Walensky’s last day at CDC is June 30. She does not have a new job or other role lined up, she said, saying she wanted to spend some time with her family, living at a slower pace.

edit: oh dang looks like there’s a new job now after all

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

imagine the satisfaction of setting up this gotcha

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1705320393337159768

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I forget which country it was but the "kids can come to school with symptomatic chicken pox because asymptomatic chicken pox exists and that's too hard to deal with so who cares, go nuts" thing was a nice crack-ping the other day.

https://twitter.com/Alitis__/status/1704937105678327914

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I don't think I've seen it posted before: I made "the backpack" into a multiclass air cleaner. The MERV 13 for COVID and wildfire smoke, and the full size carbon filter for motel smells.

I just want to be pure.

“The longing is to be pure. What you get is to be changed.”

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Everyone is my office basically got covid this week/last week. Back to in office masks which is good but also lol way to wait for over 50% of the office to be out sick

Closing the barn doors after all the horses have left: “barn doors don’t work, why do we even bother with this”

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

CIDRAP: Evolving peak SARS-CoV-2 loads relative to symptom onset may influence home-test timing

The New Normal: Delayed Peak SARS-CoV-2 Viral Loads Relative to Symptom Onset and Implications for COVID-19 Testing Programs

Figured this is useful information for people to know to calibrate their decision making process on testing:

“Median SARS-CoV-2 viral loads, as measured by polymerase chain reaction cycle threshold (Ct) and antigen concentrations, rose from symptom onset, peaking on the fourth or fifth day of symptoms. Estimated rapid antigen test sensitivity was 30.0% to 60.0% on the first day, 59.2% to 74.8% on the third, and 80.0% to 93.3% on the fourth.”

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Nothing like a business savvy pop star wearing a better sealing, more effective mask than the vaccine Nobel Prize winners. What a world, what a world.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

so something I’m hearing about biobot

https://twitter.com/babs_zone/status/1709039811804504370

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

yessssss

https://twitter.com/OpenAeros/status/1709427372737356014?s=20

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

meanwhile Jerome Adams is out there getting saucy and I’m here for it

https://twitter.com/JeromeAdamsMD/status/1709153285502894474?s=20

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Emergency broadcast came and went and my 4 times 5G rear end felt nothing. Pathetic.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My co-worker is trying to find the moth juice and Kaiser doesn't have it- where to I tell him to look for it? The vaccines.gov site is only showing him Phizer. Also what is it properly called again?

unfortunately Kaiser as far as I’m aware wants people getting the vaccine in their facilities and not in external pharmacies. you can find it at say CostCo but whether it’ll be covered by insurance is a different ball of wax

https://www.kqed.org/news/11960630/free-new-covid-vaccine-near-me-2023#kaisernewcovidvaccine

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Rolling Stone: Kiss Guitar Tech’s Widow Sues Band for Wrongful Death

Suit acts like preventing COVID matters, which is delightfully quaint, but the real thrust of the issue is they abandoned this guy to quarantine in a hotel room with COVID as he just got sicker and sicker and by the time they got somebody to check in on him it was too late.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

brap posted:

Like if breathing is so difficult for you right now, try getting covid bitch.

I mean. He probably has! Quite possibly more than once! At this point to not have gotten it you’re either gobstoppingly lucky, a mutant, or paranoid devotee to PPE.

I don’t try to police masking on people coming in to do housework at my place, I just crank up the filtration and open up windows and greet them at the door with my good PPE and keep it on for a while after they leave. Sometimes they ask if they should mask up for me though and it’s really sweet of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I assume it varies a lot by location, too. Seattle is still pretty masky. It’s a small minority, and most people doing it are just wearing surgicals or fabric, but I’m hardly ever the only one doing it.