Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Will be coming home from vacation with covid. As is tradition.

Important to stay positive imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sitting on 99 boxes of pax in case I'll need them for the last variant.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

why tf are there 500 posts in here since I looked last night? is there a covid wave or somethin?

Yes, but also someone reopened the sad thread.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i've made millions during the pandemic too. millions of friends :)

Millions of little spiky friends

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

setting over/unders:

uploaded sequenced cases of BA.2.86 at 1,000 by this date

predominance of BA.2.86 in the USA at large at 40%

what skills does that one bring to the table?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fur20 posted:

it actually caught me off guard, the toilet paper shortage hit japan a little over a month before the US and i was about one week away from buying a new box of rolls when they disappeared from store shelves.

i suffered through paper towels for a week, but then i had this great idea and stole some rolls from the daimaru department store's ultra luxurious marble restrooms lol

wtf, I thought Japan had fully specced into bidets?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

it's very funny to point out to academics that in order for academia to exist, someone has to labor to grow the food. you can't just do math in a vacuum.

skill issue

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

Apologies if I'm aggro posting and am uninformed, I just think doxxing is a really serious matter, and I don't have that event in my catalog of COVID thread history, and couldn't find anything by searching either

I don't think anyone claimed that that happened?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

time to cancel the apocalypse

Wastewater in Austria is also ticking down again a bit (hospitalization is up a bit). Though we really didn't have any wave now. So far, so good

Just posting those since they are the only numbers we still have. I would assume people who are hospitalized for respiratory diseases are still tested for covid here, but :shrug:
Can't post variants since our guys don't get enough samples anymore

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Poppers posted:

Can we at least acknowledge that wearing a mask is less comfortable than not wearing a mask

no

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

even the good naomi has bad takes sometimes

grading the naomis on a curve

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Buffer posted:

Well, in CSPAM this is true (and under the eye of vyelkin), and I am glad of it - even if I generally like Silicon Thrills as a poster and their contributions to threads.

Probably can't expand it forums wide while the war is on, though, unfortunately. (and no I have not been keeping lists of offenses and posters to point to specific examples)

Nothing against Silicon, but a report is effectively a post in the mod forum and going in that hot is a "flying to moscow on a small plane" level idea.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it's this

was it calibanibal who was the tooth loss goon? I think he was trolling at first and then people started reporting tooth loss lol

Pretty sure that was a shovelbums rereg

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still want one where he wears a mask, but too lazy for photoshop

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

Facetoucher cat did nothing wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wb iron crowned

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What was the thread favorite travel air filter again. Might have some use for one pretty soon.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Is the ebola at burning man thing real or a meme?

It's real to me

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

for rich people for whom money and prescriptions are no object, is there any reason not to be on paxlovid constantly as a prophylactic? i guess some people get the weird taste side effects...

Old rich people are on a million drugs that kind of ping pong them on a narrow path between organ failures until they run out of maneuver space at the age of 150

Not a close contact

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Sep 5, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Ivermectin cures intestinal worms, but Ivermectin studies causes :brainworms: - many sides.

Lol, forgot about him.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You got to brexit now

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What. ICU admission is associated with recovery? Weird result

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/your-fall-guide-to-covid-rsv-and-flu-vaccines

ok ok

about the flu vaccine:

I didn’t know that was an option, that’s pretty cool

about the Covid booster:

wait what

Pretty sure Offit has been saying that all the time

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there was some esoteric studies back in the day about the force required to reaerosolize captured virus from a filter surface and it's like you have to have a tornado hit it so

if you feel bad, chuck it in a box and wait.

That was a hepa, not a merv13 though. No idea whether that matters in the end

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

I found the face of danger

Breathe attacks are perfidious, but if you equip the right materia you can learn them yourself

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In Japan right now. A lot of masks around though mostly surgicals. They sell adequate looking masks in the seven eleven but I guess it's just hot and humid as gently caress. I'm certainly rethinking switching back to auras without exhalation filters.
Also on the chinese airline I flew in on they specifically told people to tell cabin crew if they had contact with monkey pox in what felt like a blast from the past. They also recommended masks, though covid wasn't mentioned at all. Anyway lots of coughing on that plane

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao that they didn't rename the Diamond Princess.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Now we just have to get covid to drink the tea

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Austria added a variant break down to the piss monitoring:
https://abwassermonitoring.at/dashboard/

Biggest chunk seems to be EG5.1

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Isn't europe doing "no boosters for anyone under 65"?

Nah. Probably depends on the country, but generally you can get shot full of nanomachines if you're over 12 at least.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Interesting results and something that speaks in favor of heterologous vaccinations (as immune evasion will trend towards evading the dominant antibody mix - e.g. the combined vaccination and infection norm):

I am not so sure about their conclusion that this can be used to define which variants should be targeted by vaccines. I can see why they would say that, but I feel they kinda skirt over the impact that Omicron had (and Omicron type mutational leaps would have). Rather I think it makes it clear that a vaccine only strategy at the very least should be diversified to not leave the exact same holes in protection for everyone.

Good news! about the uptake of the Fall booster then.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Article casually dissuading people from getting a booster.

:hmmrona:

The expert is Monica Gandhi again, right?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Over here vaccines are supposed to be distributed by your doctor now, so I asked mine and they don't yet know whether they'll order some. Good system.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Playing the classics.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, did the cryptid shitter move to one of the Austrian states?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

From above?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My data guy on Twitter finally pieced together the updated graph for covid hospital admissions, if anyone wanted an indication of how things are progressing in Australia

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1723573890080006242#m

Line goes UP

But where are the deaths?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wanted to get mothed this time but it was rear end enough finding any place that gave out vaccines so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Got Publix near you?

Wrong continent and anyway I'm pfizered up again.

Pingui posted:

No Austrian flag smiley, but ehh... close enough: :australia:

It's what we deserve.