Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

i feel like we haven't had a teacher thread regular post much in a while? i think Gio was a teacher but hasn't popped up here for a while 🤔 anyway, if you're a lurking teacher, time to de-lurk imo

it’s a trash fire. me and one of the hall monitors are the only staff out of ~250 who still mask. staff are quitting mid-year, staff are sick, kids are sick, kids aren’t engaged because they know most of what they’re supposed to be doing isn’t gonna matter in ten years. and like…….we already did this too. everybody already got sick. everybody already quit. it’s exactly the same as it was last year. and now this is just gonna be how every year is. living the dream! 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

if you don't mind me asking, roughly how long have you been teaching? and did any of these things (mid-year staff quits) happen before, but just at like a fraction of the frequency?

anyway yeah sounds miserable and i feel for you / all teachers in this hell country

about 15 years now. attrition on my campus year over year was always pretty low, then May-Dec 2020 we had mass resignations, and much higher attrition at the end of each semester ever since then. I’ve hardly ever seen people just get a few weeks in and nope out before COVID.

budget and staffing cuts are a compounding problem. everything’s just harder for everyone in every possible way. if you’re not invested enough or bloody-minded enough, it doesn’t make sense as a life decision to stay in public ed right now, at least where I’m at.

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Kragger99 posted:

Sending you good vibes Pillow. :glomp: