Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

quote:

Dr. Dick Zoutman

no loving way

no loving way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you're good people, GXL

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-08-treatment-based-gene-safely-effectively.html

quote:

A single injection of a novel CRISPR gene-editing treatment safely and efficiently removes SIV—a virus related to the AIDS-causing agent HIV—from the genomes of non-human primates, scientists at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University now report. The groundbreaking work complements previous experiments as the basis for the first-ever clinical trial of an HIV gene-editing technology in human patients, which was authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022.

The preclinical study, published online in the journal Gene Therapy, tested EBT-001, an SIV-specific CRISPR-Cas9 gene-editing therapy, in rhesus macaques. The study shows that EBT-001 effectively excises SIV from reservoirs—cells and tissues where viruses like SIV and HIV integrate into host DNA and hide for years—without any detectable off-target effects in animals. The work is a significant advance in the generation of a cure for HIV/AIDS in humans.
(..)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you're one downloadable textbook away from being a hair stylist. learn the rules before you break them. then you can get creative making up your own stuff

familiarize yourself with https://www.reddit.com/r/Justfuckmyshitup/ and try to do the opposite of trends you see on there

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

the rapid tests havent been updated. I haven’t seen anything to say they outright don’t detect the new variants, maybe that they are less accurate. in order to raise accuracy, swab the back of your throat and do the “low and slow” method on your nasal cavity, I think there’s a video in the op

did we already forget about the coughing trick

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i don't remember either. did silicone thrills bring it up? was it some study?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
oh ok it was a mastadon post where an individual false positived until they coughed on the swab, then silicone thrills tried it too, but turned out ok iirc

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

I think most packaged instructions for rapid tests say to cough a few times before swabbing, to get deep lung material up into your respiratory tract

noooooooo they do not lol

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Poppers posted:

Now this is loving badass

ew, don't reply to my posts

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
what the gently caress, you read all that?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone find that iota carrageenan gives them post nasal drip? I feel so gross the day after I use it but I don't know how much of that has been wildfire smoke and/or various other non-respiratory virus reasons.

post-nasal drip is a symptom of damaged tissue, because dripping is normal but you're never supposed to perceive it unless the nerves got sensitized somehow. can happen with upper respiratory acid reflux i think

has anyone ever investigated the long term safety of these cold sprays? most seem marketed for short term, not daily prophylaxis forever. never seen any potential harms of them talked about. are there any long term?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
are the new monovalent vaccines being released later this year Novavax, or just Pfizer and Moderna brands?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
gently caress samples!

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you want your dad's immune system to realize that there's a virus, and begin launching countermeasures, before the paxlovid puts the virus on pause. otherwise putting the situation on pause is for nothing if the good guys don't show up to the battlefield for cleanup at all during the 5 day course

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i got in because i still had the tab open from before they greyed out the main button

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
what's this thread's opinion on the five second rule? good? bad?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
how many injections posts to imprison all the mods

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
has this been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-twcxsWHmk

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
don't engage them, those are their only two posts in here

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

can I ask for a recommendation for a CO2 monitor that's accurate-enough and won't break the bank?

Vitalight from amazon

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
is now a good time to try to get novavax, for someone who hasn't been vaccinated in a long time?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Baddog posted:

Sorry you're getting the rebound!

Yes, just bullshit that there just hasn't been anything close to an official explanation, and in that vacuum the public opinion has trended to "paxlovid causes rebounds".

I'm not an uneducated dumbass either, and yep, everything I know says that this really sounds like 5 days is often not enough to completely eliminate the infection, and if its not eliminated the infection exponential again defeats the immune system defense exponential. Would be great to have better data/guidance for how common that is, if its better to just do 10 days rather than risk it, if you should do another 5 days if you get a rebound, should it be 10 days if you have a stubborn case? etc etc.

bedpan posted:

trust the s(il)ence

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
In some profoundly unlucky way, I am COVID positive. I made it 4 years all the way until 10/15/23 before breaking my streak and losing this game in the most limp dicked way possible -- while bunkering -- after a busy year of masterfully dodging it on crowded transportation, in crowded public buildings, shared cars, numerous medical visits, etc.

Possible exposure routes:
  • (Most likely IMO) A grocery trip on Oct 10th in a P100. Lingered in aisles extra long unable to find stuff, trying not to narrowly follow where coughing kids/adults had been, which were numerous. Thing is, I wore a P100 and airtight eye protection. I was as sure as ever of the seal of both, and this STILL is the most likely route -- a stealth P100 leak. I even sprayed nose + throat with strong neutral HOCl when I got home to kill anything that got past before it could replicate, and this is STILL the most likely vector.

• On the same trip on the 10th, unmasking in a huge empty field with over ~100ft social distancing to other hikers, open visibility in all directions. Dry sunny air. If there was someone heading upwind I donned. I biked to get there in a P100.

• On Oct 7th I had a fleeting interaction talking over a fence at a person who had a cough when we were apart. Outside in a P100.

• Feeding feral cats outside in a P100. Besides the two dates above, cats were my only exception from isolation. Several days ago, one of them barged inside for a moment and sneezed at me to feed them faster, into my house air. I cranked up the corsi box and made the front room a wind tunnel, avoided it, and kept the p100 on several extra minutes.

• Apartment air leakage. Mine is a single floor house, sharing only one wall with a neighbor, along the kitchen and bathroom. It would have to be a very slow seepage. I count it as more possible because I could hear someone sneezing as they went in and out this week one day. That was by my outside double door which seals pretty well, and I cranked up the huge corsi by the door on high for the rest of the day.

• A possibility involving very long incubation times. On Oct 1st I had a quick chat outside with a neighbor in a P100. Sept 29th was my previous major trip out, similar to my grocery trip on the 10th, no worse. The 28th, chilling with neighbor outside in a P100. I've accounted for every exposure going back to Sept 25th.

• Some freak occurrence like an undetected sewage gas bubble, a secret bio attack, food that stayed infectious for several days in the fridge, etc.

Starting on the 15th, I developed a painful swollen tonsil in my sleep, pushed through the day since that's not unusual for me, then that night noticed a sudden onset headache which IS unusual for me. I also noticed my arm felt sore in a way that reminded me of post-vaccine. That gave me a hunch to test.

I cackled when I glanced back at the test and saw a single DARK black line, because it was not the C line (that hadn't even faded in yet), and it was just so thoroughly unexpected given recent inactivity and such a vague hunch. Soon after, a lot more symptoms started up (sickly tingling, worse headache, nausea, sinuses, eventually coughing and diarrhea). I was on pax before the 15 minutes was up for the test. Another test the following morning did the same instant black T line. I think it further points toward the 10th as a likely infection date, allowing 5 full days for the line to get that dark, because apparently by then I was CONTAGIOUS, extremely so already.

I was not re-boosted in over a year due to bad reactions. I was about to grab Novavax XBB this week. Shouldn't have held out. Probably my biggest mistake other than being so unlucky that it catches me by the skin of its teeth.

Day 1, head pain so extreme I couldn't sleep. Day 2, ditto but it's my throat. NOT MILD

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Crazyweasel posted:

It was definitely ur apartment. Remember even in Delta times there was a report of someone picking it up by sharing the same hallway air for 10 seconds after like 15 minutes had passed.

No shared or indoor apartment hallway here. My only exit opens straight outside into the yard. Double door so it should be a pretty good barrier. No ventilation system between or in units, besides leaky windows into the yard.

A couple extra possibilities:

• Like everyone else, I don't protect my ears from exposure. I've had my ears checked at doctors and they've never noted a perforation or anything. Usually on the rare days before I wake up tonsillitis on one side, I'll get ear canal pain on that side. It happened again this time as my first symptom. Could it be...? Nah, right?
  • I have a window A/C unit. It's the cheap kind with styrofoam internal seals, and certainly is not airtight. It's practically pressed up against the fence neighbors' fence (more of a tall solid wall) by just several inches. The sound of people working on the other side of this wall transmits through loudly, making it sound quite close. But again, we're talking about outdoor to indoor transmission, through slow seepage; it seems like the total volume of air would be very diluted on average.
  • Fomite transmission from a new CPAP unit I got in the mail and tried the same night starting on the 3rd. I flooded every piece the thing with HOCl to disinfect and then soap water and then dried before assembling, and used bottled water in the humidifier of it, which is all that should have been left to aerosolize.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Control line was good on both tests. Just isn't reached before the T line, and takes all 15 minutes to darken well.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Can you tell us more about your P100? Is it an elastomeric or a cup mask?

Elastomeric. A 3M 7500 series with 7093 carts, new carts freshly opened last month. The silicone facepiece is a couple years old; I regularly disassemble and clean it with soap and water. Seal feels great, especially if I've been wearing it for long at all in which case skin moisture builds up and makes it hold a lot more pressure. I use the positive seal check every time i put it on and make sure it inflates and holds. If I'm heading into a building, I additionally do the negative check built into the cartridge boxes for sanity. If I go a long time and re-test I never seem to fail the check, even with other factors like the custom eye protection laying on the mask.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
^ Yeah :(

Not a shared apartment. It's two apartments under one roof.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
If i had smoked more tobacco none of this would have happened

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
night 3 is not treating me well. by far my worst throat pain ever and i'm no stranger to it. unnatural feeling to the point where i'm wondering if it will swell shut. it stopped responding to chloroseptic a day ago, about the time i stopped being able to easily swallow spit. ibuprofen seems to help after an hour, but it's getting almost impossible to swallow one once it wears off. this is brutal and i could see winding up in a hospital. could reflux i can't feel be playing a part? idk

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

The Top G posted:

You can just take the pills rectally if you can’t swallow them

haha

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i've kept negative tests for ages and the stain would move but never would remotely look like a clean straight line. that's supposed to be invisible without antigen

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
oh... it's EBV. the Pax I took DID send all the covid symptoms into remission right away within day 1 and they haven't been back really; head felt like a million bucks again after that first night. This horrid sore throat and tonsils is just what my body feels like without T cells. because of EBV.

i think it makes sense. i've always had much-weaker bouts of this throat symptom from persistent EBV since childhood. this time, as soon as COVID hit, my first symptom was tonsillitis again now with nothing holding that back. guess i have no T cells

i can see why this makes ME/CFS worse

another fun thing: on day 1 (only) of this, my what I guess is POTS went crazier than usual. resting heart rate 80 instead of 60; propping up in bed brought it to 100; shambling around weakly, and sitting back down, made it hit an aerobic 129bpm at some point.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i use HOCl spray for that, or recook it depending on what it is

maxwellhill has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Oct 19, 2023

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
well nope i'm still testing positive, so it is the COVID that's doing this poo poo to me still, so i guess the pax didn't just straight up clear it all out already like it erased the fever and headache right away. although i still wonder if the severe throat is something that only happens to prior EBV+ people

this time the T line showed up after and lighter than the C

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
checking through the previous thread and noticed this gem

Pohl posted:

One of the clerks at the convenience store I frequent is a 40 year old woman. She hurt her shoulder last fall. She's been bugging the Dr all year, telling him that she knows her body and that something is really wrong. He keeps giving her steroid injections and pain pills and rehabilitation. She finally bugged him enough that they did an MRI...

all of the tissue in her shoulder is dead, her entire rotator cuff - everything. Just dead. They figure she had a blood clot.
Guess what, she had covid just before that happened.

now they are going to have to do a major surgery and clean all the dead tissue out and try and fix the bloodflow and lol, how is everyone not loving terrified

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
huh, this is a failure mode of rapid tests i've never seen. saliva was too thick (from whatever secondary infection) to actually start a flow. after 10min the strip was blank, so i used the back of the swab to press and squish the sample, and then it started flowing. the C line is there but the test filled in all weird and dark splotchy and i don't know if i trust it.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
does covid + pax taken quickly produce the most robust natural immunity you can get (to the absolutely newest strain, at that)? is it at all comparable to vaccine-induced immunity? or did the covid gently caress me up too bad for immunity to be reliable/lasting at all?

i did take the pax immediately at first symptom but still not quick enough to prevent secondary infections from immuno-depletion

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i would love to see somebody take a genuine stab at guessing the new R value

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
happy anniversary to the 2019 military world games in wuhan

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Don't sleep on home ventilation, y'all. I thought that I wasn't sleeping on it and I still was. Got out a CO2 monitor in my new place, I guess I've never charged it up here, and it immediately started alarming 1600+. Just from me in here... and the shared wall with neighbors, and the shared attic with them. I thought this place was leakier than that to outdoors with a window unit and lovely windows, but I just assumed. Sealed in that tight I'm guessing any slow pressure gradient from heating/cooling becomes shared air that never vented out from each previous day. So this post wins the prize of guessing how I got infected:

NeonPunk posted:

drat I'm sorry, you held out well and don't beat yourself up. At least you can rest easy knowing that it's still just only your first infection. As long you have less than others, you're better off health wise.

But I'm curious why did you think that this

quote:

(Most likely IMO) A grocery trip on Oct 10th in a P100. Lingered in aisles extra long unable to find stuff, trying not to narrowly follow where coughing kids/adults had been, which were numerous. Thing is, I wore a P100 and airtight eye protection. I was as sure as ever of the seal of both, and this STILL is the most likely route -- a stealth P100 leak. I even sprayed nose + throat with strong neutral HOCl when I got home to kill anything that got past before it could replicate, and this is STILL the most likely vector.
Is more likely than the below?

quote:

Apartment air leakage. Mine is a single floor house, sharing only one wall with a neighbor, along the kitchen and bathroom. It would have to be a very slow seepage. I count it as more possible because I could hear someone sneezing as they went in and out this week one day. That was by my outside double door which seals pretty well, and I cranked up the huge corsi by the door on high for the rest of the day.

Corsi cubes is great at providing a layer of security and clean up the air by just following the law of physics. The bad side is that it follows the law of physics. It does not immediately clean every single virion out of the air in a blink of the eye. It's possible that you placed the corsi cube in a unfavorable place where it wound up not being able to circulate through the entire air while leaving a draft blowing little bits of covid into other spaces and that's where you got got

One tiny mistake, that's all it took with the new strains. Crack your windows open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Pingui posted:

Which one of you...

we gotta do something about all these suspects!