Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Coming out of lurking to lol, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

6 months-4 years get one but the recommendations about which one are more specific to what if anything they've already received.

drat it I hope they do not make that official because I got my kid Moderna and now no one in the region carries the Moderna for infants so if they won't let her get anything other than Moderna that's no different than saying she can't get a booster at all.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's really fun trying to decide if I want to get a booster immediately in the hopes of getting some additional protection for the current wave or wait until late October so that I will still have some protection during Thanksgiving and Christmas when I'll surely have to do some spreadsheet avoidance activities. Lovely system we've got here.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

:same: I have an appointment for tomorrow but I am thinking about cancelling it and waiting until mid/late October. I am about 90% WFH, don't go inside anywhere except grocery and hardware stores and obviously masked. The only constant in this bullshit is that there has always been a spike from xmas to new year, the other ones are random.

Does anyone have the old titerslastthislonggraph.jpg?

I think I'm going to wait with the reasoning that my risk is going to be higher in December, and that since the wave is already here if I get a shot today I have a non-negligible risk of getting the shot and then catching COVID before the immune response from the shot kicks in, defeating the benefit of the shot.

So if I get got between now and the first week of October or so, or between Thanksgiving and New Years, then my gamble was correct. If I get got after that first week of October through early November then my gamble did not pay off. If I don't get got at all in 2023 then timing of the shot won't have mattered much anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
COVID is going around at my office currently and a lot of people are on their 3rd and 4th rounds and it is finally starting to dawn on them that this is forever now. However the response seems to just shrug their shoulder and go "that sucks".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm also taking some grad school classes right now and we had a guy in one of my group projects get married and then disappear off the face of the earth for three weeks before sending us a note that he "had been really sick and was just now starting to feel good enough to sign on" and was dropping the class. Dude clearly caught COVID at his wedding and got knocked on his rear end for almost a month but couldn't utter the forbidden word.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Moderate case of mild illness.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Petey posted:

I talk about this with some of my friends. There are definitely people that I know, often with an anxiety diagnosis, whose response to Covid (or nowadays planning around Covid) seems to be different from mine in this way. I think I tend to experience it as a series of if-then flowcharts and analytic thinking; no, I'm not "afraid" of getting Covid when I wear a mask to the gym, and I know that if I got it I would likely be fine, but when I balance the probabilities across the flowcharts, the expected value benefit of wearing a mask to the gym is higher than of not wearing it.

Yeah, same. I'm not afraid of getting COVID. And I have a kid in daycare plus a spouse that doesn't mask at work so I'm very aware that it isn't a matter of if I'll catch COVID again but a matter of how often. However I am concerned about the long term impact of catching it multiple times so I am trying to find a balance between living in a post 2020 world and also not rolling the dice on long term health impacts any more times than I have too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm taking some grad classes right now because my work pays for it and I figure a Data Analytics degree might help me be able to transition to full time remote work in the long term. And if it doesn't then I'm not paying for it anyway. The classes are all online and right now we're working on a group paper. Of my group of four we have one guy who had a wedding a month ago and got COVID badly enough that he has now dropped the class because he wasn't able to even sign in to watch recorded lectures. A second person who just got COVID last week but had an actual mild case and is now back online to help finish things up, and a third person who has now gone totally MIA after being active and responsive up until a few days ago (and this is grad school so people are generally really good about meeting their commitments and communicating). Even not in person classes are all hosed up right now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There’s no way I make it through the next few weeks without getting got.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Petey posted:

i don't want to slow anybody's roll but: between the lovely rollout and the known timing (i.e. that protection against infection lasts 2-3 months max), doesn't waiting until like late october for the boost make sense anyway (in america)? to let the system work itself out + maximize protection from thanksgiving through the new year?

This is what I’m doing. I know I’m risking getting got in the next month and I might end up regretting that but if I got the juice this week then I’d have the same concern around the holidays when I will with 100% certainty be having to do a lot more spreadsheet avoidance stuff than I’m having to do right now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peyote Panda posted:

It's all just so loving stupid.

Yep, COVID is not magic and the biggest hurdle to avoiding catching it right now is just completely arbitrary stuff like this from people who have just decided to pretend that either it doesn't exist or that the laws of physics and disease prevention do not apply to COVID so there is just nothing they can do they will get sick when it is god's will.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lol I just looked and the first appointment I could schedule with the one CVS in the area that is carrying the vaccine isn't for at least two weeks anyway. The earliest I could get jabbed is Sept 30th.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
2 months to re-infection is, uh, not awesome.

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/1704518606451511342?s=20

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fansy posted:

Nearly 90% of Americans didn't wear seatbelts ~40 years ago. I was young, but I remember trying to muffle the *click* so my friends wouldn't laugh at me.

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We're going to the dentist tomorrow, we snagged the first two appointment slots of the day. Here's to hoping

That’s my approach as well. I just had a cleaning yesterday and there was not a single person working there in more than a surgical. So here’s hoping nobody was sick I guess. At least with the first appointment of the day my odds are pretty good as there were only maybe six total people in the building and I only had my mask off around three of them.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

redreader posted:

I've been reading about the covid wave and wondering when it'll hit people I know. Well:

Suddenly, just today, my son is sick and we kept him home.
Someone I know in another state is sick. Someone I know in colorado is sick. 2 people I know in CA are sick. This is just today!!! I've been hearing nothing from people I know until now. It's like suddenly it's all 'coming together' as it were.

edit: looks like we're past the peak of the wave, according to the walgreens covid index. Somehow it's hitting people I know today though.

https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare-solutions/covid-19-index

My team at work is about a dozen people. Since mid august we've had 1 or 2 people from that group pop positive every single week. The intern was this week's sacrifice to Applebee's.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we're on the back side of the wave that will become the trough until the holidays when the actual wave hits

I'm not even sure what the trough is gonna look like. Iowa has been riding high since at least the 4th of July and isn't showing signs of going down yet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Baddog posted:

It is pretty confusing, the variability is so drat high in this wastewater data. Sort of makes me believe they just aren't taking a large enough sample. But perhaps there are super-super spreaders where someone is just making GBS threads pure covid. And if you draw your sample after they take a dump....

Yeah it sucks that our only remaining somewhat reliable non-lagging indicator is not really all that reliable. And also anymore it's lagging as well, my area posts wastewater updates 2-3 weeks after the fact and by that point it's out of date.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Milosh posted:

Getting the new vaccine tonight. How long does it take for immunity to kick in? I'll be safe in the interim and after

Never from this generation of vaccines. But your titers will be at max 2-3 weeks out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Just had a Teams meeting (safely) with a woman who couldn't stop coughing. She said she had a cold and some body aches but was hoping to be able to make it to a wedding on Saturday so she could "dance all night long" :thumbsup:

At this point it is very reasonable to assume that any large gathering has at least one contagious person present. So it's just a question of if you're gonna mask up and not have to worry much about it (if you go at all) or just roll the dice and hope you don't happen to walk in to their miasma cloud.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/coviddatareport/status/1707443774538780803?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

It’s really nice of politicians to submit themselves to being test subjects for constant infection.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Indoor Dying posted:

Just love that people can agree that covid is over while they simultaneously post about testing positive for covid. The ol "it's over but it's also going to be here forever, so get over it" kind of over

I saw a post today, here on cspam by a poster that has showed up in every ‘shut down the COVID thread’ thread, about how disappointed they were how few people were getting the booster and the lack of self awareness is stunning.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

eXXon posted:

Am I still contagious after a rebound? Do the tests still work for me?

Ah well, nevertheless.

If you are positive on a rapid test you are mostly likely contagious.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Actually knowing for sure would require some kind of infrastructure for people to report rebounds in real time and be tested for how much COVID they are spewing out so that we could have data on it and lol at any country in the world doing that in 2023.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

That and I don't think there have been studies looking for evidence it does anything other than keep you from dying if you were going to die without it.

It's hospitalization, but yeah. Because long COVID is not considered in the equation for avoiding or treating COVID, only the acute phase, there have been no studies that look at the benefits or lack of benefits of taking Paxlovid other than it's impact on helping people avoid the hospital.

Anecdotally though I can say Paxlovid absolutely helped my wife both times she's gotten got. Went from feeling like absolute poo poo before taking Pax to feeling like a minor cold within a day. I can't really say for myself because my symptoms weren't bad when I started taking it and they stayed not bad so I dunno how they would have ended up if I hadn't started a course right away.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lockdown adjusted life expectancy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BusError posted:

People who are holding out for Novavax boosters, do you have a date in mind for when you'll give up waiting and just schedule a Moderna or Pfizer? Not looking for advice as I realize we just don't know when (if) it'll get approved and distributed, just curious what kind of timelines other people are thinking about.

I have some spreadsheet avoidance activities the first week of November so if Novavax isn't approved and available in my area within the next two weeks I'm gonna just get what CVS has on offer, which appears to be Moderna.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

and every year, slightly fewer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

I wonder if the pediatric office here in town that gave my daughter her initial shots but then refused to give her a booster because she wasn’t a normal patient, resulting in my kid having no booster because they were the only place within driving distance with Moderna (and mix and match wasn’t approved for the initial boosters for under fives) had to throw doses away.

I bet they did and that it was very stupid that I wanted a booster I couldn’t get but medical office idiocy wouldn’t let us link up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

now that the vaccine is private market providers have to buy it instead of getting for free through procurement programs, smaller clinics are probably hesitant to eat poo poo on a vaccine nobody's gonna take

Is it single dose vials now instead of vials of ten? I thought I saw that but I can’t find a source right now. That would help a lot with wasted juice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just saw a guy dicknosing a cloth mask in October of the Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Twenty Three.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The people that won the nobel prize for the COVID vaccines are clearly mentally unhinged wierdos.

https://twitter.com/KashPrime/status/1708862218735964588?s=20

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Animal-Mother posted:

Chef survived and came back. He was in the emergency room. Managers were trying to dissuade him from testing again and continuing to recuperate. His doctor wrote a whole letter that said "I order this man to rest."

And now the college kids are coughing up a lung. Doesn't stop them from coming to a packed dining hall. loving idiots. We have learned nothing. I feel like I make this post every three months.

But you see this time, this time it might be different...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Individual public health choices (the individual is your middle manager)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1709025390780641501?s=20

I'm glad I'm not crazy with my feeling like in the midwest we've been at the height of a wave for two months now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Awesome on the Novavax news. I have an appointment for next week to get Pfizered that I'm not gonna cancel just yet though, gonna wait and see if Novavax actually appears as an option anywhere between now and then since I need some max titers in late October/early November.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

novavax has also been added to official government slut juice hookup

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1575164692388904963?s=46

It claims that a bunch of Walgreens in my area has the moth juice, but when I go to the Walgreens site they don't even have it as an option to search on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I got my Moderna booster a few days ago at the CVS Minute Clinic, and then later in the afternoon my wife went in to get hers. They told her they wouldn't do it because she's pregnant. Now we can't find an appointment anywhere. Is there any reason why they would say they can't give it to pregnant people? I don't see anything online, in fact I see the opposite guidance suggesting that everyone specifically including pregnant people should get a vaccine.

Pregnant women are eligible and extremely encouraged to get the boost as they are a designated high risk group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice