Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife got a call from her stepmom yesterday to tell her that A> her dad has been in bed all week with covid, and B> it's just the flu, how long are you going to keep avoiding it?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People tried to counter anti-vaxx idiots by pointing out that we routinely give kids all sorts of other vaccines and that's never been a problem and that just led to GOP members in several states trying to introduce bills to wind back all the other childhood vaccinations.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

lol

Apr 7, 2003

More CDC recommendations to be ignored

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

lol it's a local news typo

primary source says 100.4

https://www.lausd.org/site/default....135624&PageID=1

People casually looking over the news before gong to work are going to see 104 F, they're going to tell everyone around them that kids aren't sick unless they're 104+, and in ten years it'll just be accepted wisdom and no one will remember where it came from.

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

It's a useful device. I learned from it that my apartment has really lovely ventilation - a horribly loud fan in the kitchen vent hood that can lower CO2 by maybe 100 ppm per hour, and one in the bathroom that runs automatically but doesn't do much beyond venting shower steam. 12 hours with closed windows and 2 people inside gets CO2 up from 5-600 to 1800 ppm. Obviously opening the windows clears it out but it sucks to have to do it when it's hot/humid/smoky/lovely AQI outside which for some reason is happening more often lately.

High co2 fucks with your cognitive functions and the aranet4 taught me that I was hitting 1900+ ppm in the winter with the door closed while working.

Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Explains a lot about your posting :smug:

j/k ;-P

No you aren’t

Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it’s a loving government agency who cares about the cost! it is just fully funded, you just declare it that way!!

I hate this loving country

It's a business now, sorry

Apr 7, 2003

You should make your decisions based on a personal risk assessment. Also we have removed all data you might use to make a personal risk assessment.

Apr 7, 2003

It's almost impossible to get a new PCP or see one on a useful timeframe in much of the US right now. Actual human doctors who track your medical history and provide proactive care are going to be a luxury for the top 10% sooner rather than later, and the rest of us will get an overworked LPN at a strip mall urgent care or a lovely chat bot kiosk that dispenses band-aids.

Apr 7, 2003

Iverron posted:

listen to the nurse 15 year old working at the urgent care after school

https://twitter.com/WTAE/status/1690076897596628992?s=20

That was big news here when it broke and I am extremely confused as to who will be providing care

Apr 7, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

My 91yo grandma has been stuck in a nursing home doing rehab the past 2 weeks after breaking her hip at home. Shockingly, both her and my grandpa are now sick with Summer Flu for the first time. Guess my grandpa had it so bad he was hospitalized the last 3 nights, and according to my uncle they didn't even test him for Covid, instead suggesting it might be bronchitis or RSV. They also told my uncle he didn't need to wear his mask in the hospital, lmao.

Thank God for all these tools that are available!

My wife's 99 year old grandma is living just fine at home, by herself, with grocery delivery. She spends her days crocheting, watching the news, and feeding the hummingbirds.

She says that she's going to go to a group home once she hits 100, and I figure that'll be the death of her.

Apr 7, 2003

Malgrin posted:

A bit ago someone said something to the effect of "we've known for the vast majority of this pandemic that covid is airborne." This is a clear indicator that even covid-cautious people still believe it is primarily spread by droplets. At least, I can't think of any other explanation.

Trump himself told interviewers that it was airborne in March of 2020 lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Aug 18, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

NYT asks "How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html (note the live well; live your best life!)

The first loving sentence is complete garbage! gently caress you!!

lol an article from 2021

*reads headline*

oh no

Apr 7, 2003

We did it folks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fearful-covid-20-maui-business-owners-say-welcome-tourism-rcna100555

quote:

Fearful of 'Covid 2.0,' Maui business owners say they welcome tourism

The wildfires have sparked tension between grieving residents who say now is not the time to travel to the island and those who rely on tourism to survive.

The Covid response was just a test run, we’re free forever now from any pretense that life matters more then the economy

Apr 7, 2003

Unsurprisingly, tourism has taken a hit since Aug. 8 when wildfires turned everything in its path to ash, forcing evacuees to jump into the ocean to escape the flames and leaving hundreds of friends and loved ones unaccounted for.

Airline passenger numbers to Maui fell 80% this week compared to the same time last year, according to the Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism. It estimates Hawaii’s economy has lost some $8.5 million in sales revenue each day since the wildfires erupted on Maui and the Big Island.

The total economic damage and cost could total $7 billion, Moody’s Analytics said in an initial estimate, which called the price tag “astronomical” and suggestive of a "brief but severe local recession.”

Apr 7, 2003

10,000 jobs lost to the fires

But state tourism officials warn that as many as 10,000 jobs have been lost as a direct result of the Maui wildfires. Visitor spending losses are estimated at $1.05 million a day, and household income loss is estimated to top $535,500 a day, according to the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism.

Apr 7, 2003

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

my wife cuts my hair

Apr 7, 2003

this is why all the pieces claiming that millennials will be such a long-lived generation compared to the people that came before are bullshit, we've got so much harmful consumption pushed at us and normalized in the name of the economy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Greatest Generation end up the ones with peak life expectancy, they grew up and lived in a time when healthcare was affordable and people were still physically active.

Apr 7, 2003

Chamale posted:

I've never read an article claiming that. Millennial life expectancy was trending downwards even before covid, thanks to poor healthcare, high stress, obesity, and drug toxicity.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/40-millennials-gen-z-expect-130026150.html

A lot of poo poo like that has been showing up lately in my feed under the guise of financial planning

Apr 7, 2003

Tulip posted:

Patterson, Orlando. 1982. Slavery and Social Death: A Comparative Study. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

I like Dan Carlin's podcasts even if he's a dipshit libertarian, and he points out pretty well in a recent Hardcore History that western slavery popped up again in a big way because of the renaissance resurgence in interest in the classical world. Wonder how things would have worked out if the big important people hadn't read those classical texts and we got to the Enlightenment without them.

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

extremely cursed

Apr 7, 2003

He means me, I hate kids

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

They have to say that, otherwise uptake will be in the low single digits.

remember when the vaccine only 17% of people took was killing everyone

Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

DeSantis' bullshit is to be expected, however...

:shepface:

We're about two or three years from Florida throwing out any and all childhood vaccinations too

Apr 7, 2003

It's an insanely dumb thing to be ideologically partisan about, vaccines are unarguably the greatest advancement made by modern medicine. It's like being mad about clean water or food without toxins in it.

Apr 7, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

in fact, we are safer if we ignore them. that's exactly what the article says

The pandemic was a resounding success for capital and we're rolling this poo poo out across all aspects of life very soon. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wesa.fm/courts-justice/2023-09-08/covid-cases-among-incarcerated-at-allegheny-county-jail-on-the-rise

Covid cases have been going apeshit at the county jail here for a month now.

Anyway

quote:

When asked if lockdowns were currently being used as a strategy, or considered for future use, jail spokesperson Jesse Geleynse said “Individuals who test positive are isolated and transferred to a designated housing unit. Per protocols established in consultation with Allegheny Health Network, the jail’s healthcare partner, individuals who test negative twice can be cleared from isolation after seven days. All individuals are removed from isolation after 10 days.”

She added that officials are currently in the process of determining whether they should reinstate mandatory masking.

They're taking people out of isolation after ten days whether they're positive or not and they're not mandating masking. cool!

Apr 7, 2003

It's going to be extremely funny rolling into the fall and winter with nothing left except wastewater reporting

Apr 7, 2003

One of the people on my wife's team is now out with covid after a trip to Las Vegas. Says it was worth it to have a "normal vacation"

Apr 7, 2003

come here baby, take a big whiff of my musky immune system

Apr 7, 2003

an owls casket posted:

I don't know if anyone else looks at the garbage clickbait news stories that pop up when you click the weather on your Taskbar in Windows, but every single Covid related story has a huge number of downvotes. I can just envision someone sitting at their computer, silently turning red as they angrily click the thumbs-down button, veins bulging dangerously out of their foreheads. Have fun at Applebee's, fuckers.

It's astroturfing from Eglin Air Force Base, there's a reason why every anti-caution voice had the same exact talking points.

Apr 7, 2003

lol I love these media source names that rotate like the fake brand names on Amazon

Apr 7, 2003

Because that's what makes money, right wingers are more likely to click on your poo poo and more likely to buy whatever you're selling

Apr 7, 2003

The sports radio station here is flooded right now with ads from some company invoking the "central bank digital currency" and telling people to invest their money into a "gold IRA" and it's tuned to light up Facebook Grandpa's lizard brain

Apr 7, 2003

ah, the Farts & Dicks Administration

Apr 7, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

and different hospital networks/pharmacies have only their own records

Not sure about other states but in PA all of this is reported to the state DHS. even if they're done by private pharmacies/hospitals

Apr 7, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Last fall in Minnesota, I got my booster at the County Public Health building. Then 6-8 weeks later, I went to Hy-Vee to max my titers and promptly told me that it says here on the screen that you already received the booster on this date at this location. I stammered like an idiot and promptly left, never to show my face again.

There really isn't any medical record privacy anymore, everything is shared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Finally endemic, for the third year