Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It would be nice if any of these teams would add an infection endpoint

Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

tested positive for covid this morning but im going in anyway because i dont want to use my sick time unless i really need it. i think theyre all vaxxed and i can do my best to avoid my coworker with lupis. it really sucks because i have baseball tickets for tonight, and i wont be able to cheer as hard

Remember to follow CDC guidance and make sure no one is wearing a mask

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My brother works for a transportation company and had a similar problem with a newly constructed supermarket which had a ramp down to the unloading dock but they couldn't tell him what the roof clearance was, so it was unclear whether a semi trailer could actually fit down there. They actually requested he "just get one of your semis to back down there and see if it fits" and were pretty miffed when he lmaoed at that suggestion

Going out there with a measuring tape is just a single low-n unblinded study

It's not the gold standard of The Science unless you tell a randomly selected group of truckers to show up and unload something at that dock, five or ten times, then get a hand-picked group of supermarket experts from ivies to read those studies, assign weights to each one depending on how much they like the authors, and then write their own paper that says the evidence that the influence of the dock overhead clearance at that krogers on semi trucks getting damaged is mixed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My doctor is an arnp i get 10 minutes with once a year who looks like he's so tired he's going to die, I guess I should get a second opinion from this chatbot which is the only other resource my insurance thinks I should have

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That was big news here when it broke and I am extremely confused as to who will be providing care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUVo0xVAqE

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Please only consult the HealthMaster Inferno for medical questions

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I thought there could be a COVID Angle there but I guess not everything is COVID

covid is a symptom of and contributor to increasing capitalmalisms but if it wasnt covid there's still plenty of pfas contamination, environmental lead, FASD, etc. going around. covid is just adding a few hundred more bricks to the cart

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

tfw you're cutting corners on finding case studies so you just make one up

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

What are my odds of a false positive on a 2 month expired Lucira?

Woke up blowing my nose a lot and I have like 10 of these tests that expired on July 7th sitting around. Figured, "why not" and took one, only for it to show covid positive.

I'm taking a RAT and another Lucira in the meantime.

Luciras in general I think have some failure modes that aren't advertised all that well that can result in false positives (like I had a false positive scare with one where on closer inspection the test body was clearly damaged; follow-ups were all negative), but I don't think expiration causes that. You'd probably get the invalid result indicator.

I'd assume you got got unless there's something physically wrong with the test unit and try to schedule a lab pcr.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

redreader posted:

What's the current rapid test wisdom? Specifically:

1: is expired ok as long as the control line 'lights up'?
Don't use an expired test. They don't guarantee any of the chemistry works as advertised after the printed date. I'm obviously not the police and can't stop you, but don't.

quote:

2: I've heard various things about when to test, that conflict. Do you test as soon as you get symptoms? wait a couple of days for it to be able to show up? etc? I know you're supposed to test at least twice over multiple days.
A minimum of 48 hours after exposure is required even for PCRs to be reasonably accurate. If you're symptomatic, test immediately using the best quality test available. Remember that RATs are pretty flakey compared to PCRs and while you can use them as proof you definitely have COVID if they're positive, a negative is basically meaningless unless you repeat the test a bunch of times.

quote:

3: throat then nose swabs, is that correct? Do you cough first, blow your nose first, some other thing?
For rapids only, you can do throat then nose but I'd suggest doing one throat and one nose test separately at the same time and make sure you use the 'low and slow' technique for the nose swab, which you can find on youtube. Don't caugh, rinse, blow your nose, etc. beforehand.

quote:

When I got covid last it took about 2 days to show up on a rapid test. A friend's girlfriend got it and it took 6 days of awful symptoms before she tested positive, testing every day. Now I read stuff online about testing positive before any symptoms at all, or on the first day of symptoms.
This is going to be heavily influenced by the person, immune response, which strain of covid they got, whether they've had prior exposure, and (most importantly imo) correct vs incorrect swabbing technique. A lot of people just don't swab right and will almost never get enough material to turn the test strip red. Test immediately and repeatedly if you get symptoms and your only available tests are rapids. Use the 'low and slow' technique. If you can access a Lucira, Cue, or lab PCR test, do that.

The most basic rule is that rapids rely on there being a lot of virus in your nozzle to turn the strip red, while PCRs and other amplification tests can pick up very, very minute amounts - you're very likely to get a false negative on rapids unless symptomatic. However, if you're symptomatic, fire at will.

quote:

edit: the local 'vax bus' was the only possible way I could get my kids vaccinated. our doctor didn't do vaccines for kids nor did our previous doctor, or local pharmacies (cvs/walgreens). The vax bus has now been phased out, so, lollll. not sure if I can get the kids shots if/when they come out next month.

rip vax bus

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Every person in this nation will control their OWN destiny. A land of the TRULY free, dammit. A nation of ACTION, not words. Ruled by STRENGTH, not committee. Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around. Where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of the people!

don't you get it, jack? im just using healthcare as a business to get elected so that i can END healthcare as a business!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rockear posted:

you can get several secure clicks for the cost of even a very modest coffin

The funeral industry has been posting bumper years though so who can say which is the better investment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Is there not some worry about cross contamination as employees go from room to room and patient to patient? I imagine pathogens could hitch a ride fairly easily on a silicon mask (not necessarily Covid but mrsa etc)
At least that was my understanding of why everything’s disposable.

Theoretically yes but everything being a single-use disposable ended up with people wearing loving garbage bags for PPE and storing disposable n95s in little paper bags between shifts since they were too precious to be thrown away and there was no provision made for like a closet full of elastomerics and paprs in the basement to fall back on when the poo poo hit the fan

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

the novel coronavirus disrespected the NAP

Did you explain about free markets

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There's still an OSHA billboard that straight up shows a guy in an n95 and says "be covid smart to protect yourself and others" near me. Right next to the freeway and everything. I get a good chuckle every time I drive by it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol it's been there so long it's actually in streetview

I wonder if it'll still be there when they make masks illegal or if they'll remember to take it down

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

Heard back from a lawyer at Nebraska DHHS about the state COVID wastewater records:

I will make a request to the Nebraska DOEE next I guess.

wow these guys really want you to gently caress off

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Request to Nebraska DOEE sent.

Baddog posted:

Some states seem to be a lot more friendly about public records requests than others.

Nebraska does say they bill hours, so this *could* get expensive.

https://ballotpedia.org/How_much_do_public_records_cost

fosborb posted:

thread is loving back lol

goon funding the public records requests so that we can have public health dashboards again

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

The plot thickens somewhat:

My email was titled "COVID Wastewater surveillance data request" but ok.

Be kind they have long covid

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

However, the authorities’ attempts to suppress information only created immense distrust among the general public as they no longer believed what the officials were telling them. This ironically contributed to higher infection and mortality rates than if the public had followed the officials’ directions once they did start to acknowledge the pandemic’s seriousness.

wow no way

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

This has certainly given me the idea for a publication making data requests of all 50 states and assessing their responsiveness. It will, of course, be incredibly and universally bad. But academic publications like that do get attention.

I structured my entire dissertation around reproducible science using publicly available data so I have a very personal loathing for hiding data. I think it's pretty much one of the most reprehensible things a public health department can do. If they are worried about the public misinterpreting the data, then it's their job as a health department to produce effective messaging explaining and contextualizing the data, not hiding it from public view.

Do it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

drat this is pretty good news to see systemic immune performance like this after the kind of disappointing ChAdOx1 result. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-023-00717-8

Maybe strong enough results to kick the US drug approval apparatus off its rear end and get intranasal vaccines approved and widely distributed here? Or at least a step in the right direction.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PoundSand posted:

My wife is a petite asian lady and there was a decent sized wave of hate crimes against this group when trump played off covid as the "China Virus", including in our area. She's not chinese but of course that doesn't matter to chuds. Between her immunocompromised situation and that possibility of just getting assaulted in public we've had me mostly handle errands since the pandemic started. I sometimes get mild questions about still masking up in public in my p conservative area but obviously the kind of cowards that attacked women half their size aren't really itching to pick a fight with a big guy that works in construction.

That is loving garbage, I'm sorry your wife has to experience that and the two of you have had to reorganize your lives around avoiding it even a little.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I was just sort of responding to the idea that "no one bothers people over masking", honestly I handle most the cooking/grocery shopping in our household anyway so it's not a super big deal but yeah considerations drastically change over stuff like this depending on who you are. I don't get much "harassment" over still masking but people do still point it out, mostly just small chat questioning. The way I've found to deflect it is just mentioning that I haven't had a cold since masking in public and if this minor inconvenience means never getting sick again I'll take it and p much everyone can relate to that, regardless of their political leanings on the whole covid situation.

Yeah, even if it isn't outright aggression the loss of access to the proverbial public square is pretty real. My own grief over this is that my partner has lost access to a large part of her professional community because of her own medical issues and need to avoid getting got and that community's generally deadset refusal to be inclusive or host any events that aren't orientated around eating inside at someone's house in a large enough group that doing it habitually even in a respirator probably wouldn't be a great idea even if sitting as the only person not eating in an n95 wasn't already a dogshit experience of social othering.

I can't say exactly which professional community this is because I don't want to dox myself but I will say that the situation is both extremely sad and deeply, deeply ironic.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Morbus posted:

It's interesting that the humoral response was better with the intranasal vaccine (especially for omicron), but otoh it doesn't look like it really made a difference in terms of IgA-ASC's even though they say it's "statistically significant". And I don't even see a plot or table anywhere with the sIgA measurements. Idk maybe need to read more carefully later but as far as the "intranasal vax = better mucosal immunity" hypothesis goes this is kind of disappointing result imo

Yeah that is actually super weird given that "comparable or better humoral response + better slgA" is the story in the discussion.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Leverage a proven COVID-⁠19 Surge Response Playbook.

Boy I would sure like to see that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

:rubby:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

they should get him to do the Master Class episode on mental gymnastics

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I just dunno what to say about Bob Wachter, he gave his wife what sounds like pretty severe PASC, described his own case as "nasty," and very much could have died of that 'with covid not of covid' shower fall and subsequent brain bleed. And he says being careful isn't onerous to him, right before saying he's still not masking or avoiding indoor dining or crowded spaces yet because of some extremely sketchy and optimistic back of envelope math that assumes his infection-derived immunity is still good, still good against current variants, PASC risk for him is only 1-in-20 somehow, etc.

I guess consequences just don't exist for some people even after they suffer a bunch of what I'd categorize as pretty severe ones.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm genuinely curious where he's getting the stats like "you're protected from infection after a booster dose for 4 months." Last I had seen on the subject was this https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2804451:

quote:

The administration of a booster dose was associated with an initial VE against laboratory-confirmed infection with Omicron that was higher on average compared with the primary vaccination cycle (Figure 3) but with a marked variability at any time after booster administration. Pooled estimates of VE after the administration of a booster dose were 55.4% (95% CI, 42.4%-68.4%) at 1 month, 36.0% (95% CI, 27.0%-45.0%) at 6 months, and 28.9% (95% CI, 17.1%-40.6%) at 9 months. Consistent estimates were obtained in both sensitivity analyses (SA1 and SA2) (eFigures 11, 13, and 16 in Supplement 1).

55.4% at one month is not what I'd call "protected" and you could drive a truck through that CI

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Look, people take one in a thousand risks all the time, and it’s fine. It’s comparable to driving a mere quarter of a million miles. Who doesn’t do that once or twice per year?

Maybe you don’t, but surely you go hang gliding ten times per month, right? No one would consider you a daredevil for doing that.

Yeah it's only about as likely to kill you as getting bitten by a poisonous snake is and I do that every day

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fur20 posted:

lol loving front street "business owners." no, selling the equivalent of "mauified" thomas kinkade paintings to tourists, drawn by burnt-out hippies who moved here in the 70s and 80s, barely floated in 2019. even in the best of times, you broke even on your storefront's monthly rent and pretended like that constituted a successful business. no local would ever buy this garbage and you dumb asses have always been ticking time bombs. the fire just pushed your timetable up by a decade.

I always wondered how these places stayed in business. The little stripmall style store parks around Kona on the Big Island are always like 70% vacant, 20% these crap art galleries, and 10% jamba juice.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Um...

Yeah, I'm gonna file this under 'raised eyebrow.'

shut up and put these cones in your nose

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"shut up and put these cones in your nose" - the covid thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I kissed vermin on the mouth and got sick, here's what went wrong [1/78]

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

The absolute last thing I’d do is touch one or allow my dogs to get close, much less put one in my mouth.

Sounds like you must have some pretty serious immunity debt, here, lick this mink

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

When my partner got got last year she was prescribed pax immediately but thanks to her doctor being slow on the draw actually getting the prescription in (and this was her actual doctor and not an app) and then sending her prescription to the wrong pharmacy followed by the two pharmacies not being able to agree on which one of them needed to do something to release the pills, it took about three days to actually get the drugs and I'd rather just have a couple courses on hand now. Also, no idea how long the no questions asked telehealth situation with SesameCare is going to last and I'd rather not be pleading my or her case in the moment.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

speng31b posted:

I'm not going to quote all the others but there was some pretty hosed up stuff posted. Bob has had some bad COVID opinions on twitter and a pretty influential following so I understand the impulse to hate on the guy, but please steer clear of this kind of stuff from now on under the thread reboot rules.

I assume we're also going to police the people who like to come in here and talk about how PASC is a mental illness as well then, since you managed to quote my earlier post comparing the two stances without attaching that context?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

speng31b posted:

Those people suck too, as I said Bob has bad opinions and you're under no obligation to like the guy.

I don't actually wish any ill at all on Bob Wachter, he's far more perplexing than outright evil like some of his co-workers and has suffered far more personal consequences for his decisions than the vast majority of them have. My post was comparing people who like to say bed-ridden long covid victims are psychiatric cases to someone who would stand over a guy with head trauma and describe that as a result of his not getting therapy since to me they're pretty equivalently disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Poppers posted:

This is somewhat of a nuanced point but Paxlovid wasn't necessarily studied as a covid cure but rather as a treatment to prevent disease progression and morbidity and mortality. To that point taking it at day 3 is within the window where it was studied to do that. It's a bummer there was prescriber/pharmacy mixup and your partner might have felt crappy for an extra day or two because of it but otherwise seems fine I guess?

She was pretty severely ill for about three weeks. Would getting paxlovid on day 1 or 2 of symptoms rather than day 3 or 4 have helped mitigate that to any degree? Well there's no way to know for sure but I'm going to make sure she gets it on day 1 next time rather than trusting in an obviously uncaring and sometimes incompetent medical administration system to do the right thing.