Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I checked out of this and all related threads quite a while ago because it was clear to me that COVID had become an ongoing constant tragedy, and, while I wear seatbelts and also listen to local traffic advisories, I don't follow the whole gamut of national car deaths and maimings on a day to day basis because it would be too depressing and of little utility value, more or less.

So, we've continued to be, I suppose, more cautious than almost anyone else we know, less cautious than optimal, and much of the latter triggered by pragmatic concerns like "we want our kid to be in childcare and once she's there it's really beyond our ability to enforce masking beyond what the facility can/will do at this point, which is not much". We've basically been in that holding pattern for 18 months, I guess? We got sick a whole bunch last year, we ran through a bunch of RATs and PCRs, as far as I know, we never had COVID.

I am sticking my head up now because our older kid, who is about to enter 1st grade, has made a pretty good friend and their parents just had a conversation with me along the lines of "FYI our kid has long COVID, smell is hosed up, balance problems, and we still have them generally mask indoors because we believe the risk of repeat infection for them is substantially worse than for the general public...".

I feel terrible for them and their kid, scared for ours generally, and in hindsight even more livid at the dumbshit motherfuckers who told me back in 2020 that this kind of scenario was extremely unlikely and not worth worrying about. Even if our kids somehow manage to thread a needle of not getting COVID in a way that fucks them up in ways we know about, she didn't even make it to the beginning of 1st grade (in a school w/class sizes so small that some grades are combined) without knowing a kid that's got maybe-permanent vestibular problems as a direct result of COVID.

I don't know how "avoidable" anything was or wasn't, given the "realities of the capitalist landscape", and I don't want to litigate that. I just wanted to scream into the void about this somewhere that I wouldn't feel like a psychopath extremist, and I know if anything I am pretty Open Biden at this point compared to what I remember of this thread (and my use of "Open Biden" may well date me as a 2021 poster, no idea).

Everyone stay as safe as you can out there, it's still plague world and it's still true that no one gives a gently caress about you from a federal, state or policy level. Hold your head up, form alliances with like minded people, and ignore the brayings anyone that's dangerously misaligned with you for as long as possible (while still respecting the danger they pose and keeping a cautious eye on what they are doing, of course).

I need to get in touch with the school board stat about building corsis for the classrooms this year; slept on that too long.

tuyop posted:

personally, I have not told my boss that I post on the somethingawful.com forums if that helps as well.

my last supervisor had an account here and had already read all my posts about maple and weed and bullshit before I started. I am pretty sure my current skiplevel has one of the older accounts that still exists in this dumpster fire but also I bet he hasn't logged in since the early '00s, dude doesn't have time for it. Nor should I, one supposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Maed posted:

got my joose at walgreens today in Brooklyn a

look, phenazepam is more fun than ivermectin, especially for people observing, but we should avoid hocking TCC snake oil in this thread

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

I'm surprised that any country still suggests isolating when you have covid.

I tested negative for COVID with some viral bs two weeks ago (now on sickness #3 in the first 4 weeks of school, all non COVID).

Drs office told me to stay home for at least five days and wear a mask if I needed to go anywhere. I've seen more masks in public lately than since 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I don't have flu, covid or RSV, apparantly -- pile of RATs, plus some PCRs along the way by various family members (and me, at one point, though I think that was at least one sickness ago).

I have gotten tripled slammed though, I've had a fever > 99.5 for 14 out of the last 22 days with only a couple breaks tossed in, and am currently at about 101F on the fifth day since I started spiking from whatever the last virus to cruise through the house is.

I don't even know how abnormal this is because I've never had two small kids in public systems before, but lol it sucks and if I had an office job I think I would have gotten shitcanned by now. As is I've taken like 3 full sick days in 3 weeks and slept off a buncha afternoons, but I can get enough work done at the periphery to tread water. If I worked in an office, there's no way I'd subject anyone else to my sniffling dripping self even if I could drag myself there.

I'd say that's a sign it's not normal except I remember being in an office full of people and often multiple people would be hacking and sneezing and beg out of happy hours for low grade fevers. I got sick hella often in that environment, too, but with my kids I get it all if my body doesn't kill it, because if they feel lovely they want to be comforted and it's not realistic to me to try to do that and maintain hospital-grade protocols or even the modest protection that basic american social protocols give you.

A sick kid is like being around the obviously sick drunk guy at the bar who is just slobbering out stories 6" from the face of anyone who will listen, except they are louder, less annoying, and I feel a strong compulsion to stay close to them rather than running and wondering how I got there in the first place.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

If you die to a brain‐eating amœoba from squirting unsanitary water up your nose, something that I specifically warned you about, I will be very cross.

if it makes you feel better I switched to disposable spray saline; still can't be assed to boil water first but your post haunted me. It's not the odds, it's not the stakes, it's the worry about being dunked on into the afterlife for such a stupid death.

I do seem to have substantial sinus pain, but also some chest pain that worries me b/c maybe I pulled a muscle yesterday, maybe it's pneumonia. I have a dr's appt at 11 tomorrow which is 8.5 hours from now.

My wife, who generally isn't very blackpilled on anything, posited yesterday "what if we do, in fact, have some weird COVID variant but all the tests are useless against it and so no one even knows it's COVID?" -- she thinks it's hosed up how long I/we have been sick and the degree to which the symptoms match COVID, though I have not noticed significant taste/smell issues and neither has anyone else.

I have not at all been following the efficiency of testing, though our own primary care doctor's attending expressed skepticism about any of the non-PCR tests, and, I can't remember who and if PCR tests happened this time around.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

jeez :(

hope your brain makes it through, goon

thanks yea, the days I have taken off work have been because I sit down to look at my monitor, and I realize I'm thinking "browser, IDE, VPN, outlook. browser, IDE, VPN, outlook" just helplessly looking around the monitor. Also as of 15 mins ago when I woke up my vision is blurry and it took longer than usual to write this as I kept misusing words, which is bad especially for someone prone to my long text-wall missives

plague world sucks

edit: yes these symptoms worry me substantially and I am taking this seriously but I have to weigh waiting vs a 30 minute drive (or ~80 min wait for an ambulance if i am lucky) vs waking my entire family up to drive me. If my blood oxygen tanks or I feel like I am going to pass out, I will call 911, otherwise, here I sit for a while

monitor, forums, cursor, cspam.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Oct 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

that's all good info. I've had negative RATS every 24-48 hrs every time I've been annoyingly feverish through this whole ordeal of sicknesses. I will need to pick up more at the doctor's tomorrow.

I am, however, either 101.9 or 102.9 depending which $50 zero-contact thermometer I trust. I kinda think maybe these things are garbage if you don't spend $500 for a medical grade one, but, they do tend to consistently be within a degree of each other which is good enough given I'm at the higher end of low-grade. They have also been fine for monitoring the kids, mostly, and the lower accuracy in that case is compensated for by the instant read. At my age I look at any mental down time like "1-3 mins of a thermometer in my mouth" as a chance to do a little breath meditation and try to chill but I only developed that reflex after other health poo poo sorta forced my hand, in terms of "develop better coping skills, or die".

Took some advil because I can't remember how long it's been since I took tylenol; after my doctor's appt I am going to put on an n99 and go get some strong-rear end weed tincture. Assuming I'm not dying or anything.

sorry for the stream of consciousness bullshit, I just feel like hollering into the void right now b/c this fuckin sucks

e: FWIW, the first time I was seen medically during this stream of bs, I managed to get a same-day appt with my primary who I like a lot. He told me that COVID was roughly a quarter of what they were seeing and there were some number of other viruses in the schools which seemed to break down into 3 basic buckets of like-symptoms. So, his suspicion was there are 3 other viruses at least in wide circulation rn, maybe I have "won" the lottery of managing to get the other 3 in serial, without getting COVID. Yet.

The first part of this knocked me the gently caress down, woke up running close to 104 and did so for 2-3 days. Tylenol at maximum bottle dose knocked it back to 101-102.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Oct 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I should go to sleep again, or try, but...

During part 2 of this ordeal I had a really bad cough, so I was taking mucinex and DXM and taking hot showers. Unsure how much mucinex and DXM actually do but I will say don't combine different DXM containing compounds unless you read the loving bottles very carefully and do math you should not do sick.

I was basically looting the medical cabinet for any cold medicine and it just didn't click with me that Delsym (DXM polistirex) is ~8 times as potent as Robo DM. Delsym is also substantially time release so by the time I realized how badly I'd hosed it up, vomiting probably wouldn't have accomplished much. However, being a redneck of sophistication, I did DXM as an intoxicant a few times in ~1999, so I compared what I'd actually taken, all told, to online dose charts, and convinced myself I was going to be a little spacey but probably otherwise fine. That turned out to be correct, but on top of the sickness I felt like a space cadet for a solid 18 hours.

It seemed like it suppressed the living gently caress out of my cough, too, but maybe I was just out of it: when I told this story to my primary ( :lol: ) his main comment besides the obvious was that he didn't think the evidence supporting DXM as being useful was very good compared to the evidence of it being a post-codeine cash grab.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

hailthefish posted:

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

wearing thick leathers and a heavy rear end full face helmet while engaged in motorcycling does, unquestionably, create more discomfort than riding in shorts and a t-shirt....

wearing earplugs while operating a pneumatic drill does, unquestionably, create more ear sweat and pressure than just eating the 120db in noise.....

I think these are good analogies because there are a lot of riders who eschew any form of protection, and I've seen a lotta construction dudes (mostly age >50) using zero earpro. In all cases "lol you're dumb"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

No pneumonia! (Yay!)

No COVID (YAY)

feeling slightly better, maybe. Ordered to bed rest (YAY)

Ofc I am off booze and smoking (and have been for weeks...lol) but I'm definitely hitting the dispensary on the way home and then taking a pseudo narcotic dose of edibles.

Also I think I wrote "n99" last night. Confusion on my part. Of course I meant n95s, I do also have a p99 in the shop, and my 3am fever brain confused it

I kinda want set up on a couch and emulate.... genesis games.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Yesterday Somebody in the I/P thread posted about how ‘We accepted 7 million deaths worldwide from COVID’ and I lol’d

:thunk:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_percent-covid-deaths

If you drill down into the data, we have "data not available" for many states, so this is only an average of the data for the states that reported a percentage of deaths due to COVID. However, https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Provisional-Counts-of-Deaths-by-State-and-S/muzy-jte6 makes it look like CDC all-cause death data is around 60k a week so if we just do the math there, 2.7% of that is 1620 deaths from COVID. If we assume that's covering all cases and representive of a full year (strong assumptions, sure) that's 84,000 deaths a year.

If that's anywhere near accurate that is both catastrophic and unprecedented enough in modern times that it ought to be hair-raising to anyone paying attention, and, also a small enough percentage of the ~3million deaths per year we have, that it's very easy to not pay attention if it's not someone you know dying.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

multiple people around here are complaining about an extremely long-lived virus they can't shake, which is not COVID on RATs or PCR. I seem to be one of them, since I am complaining and also ~101F again. I said gently caress it and had a little brandy because I'm clearly falling apart inside anyway.

Yesterday I took some edibles and before I passed out I had a waking fever vision that all of this is happening to me because I had the audacity to smoke DMT with an impure mind at some point in the past, and something saw me through the void and decided to wipe me out slowly via endogenous DMT-mediated transcripted alterations to my DNA which weaken my immune system, literally cosmic monsters reaching through time to kill me

When I was a lot more coherent again, I decided that while that's almost certainly not true in some ways it's less horrifying than either the ongoing carpet bombing of the public health system that COVID unleashed, or whatever the hell has actually got me feverish for, now, I think, 18 of the last 25 days. If that doesn't square with whatever numbers I posted a few days ago, okay, my brain is hosed.

I do have to start working again tomorrow, though, I have kicked the can on that as much as I can, and if I can make brokebrained cspam posts I can probably write brokebrained work poo poo that my coworkers can roll their eyes and and then make less lovely and pat me on the head (figuratively ofc)

once I'm not feverish, which, I really believe WILL happen, is there any reason to wait any longer than that to go get a COVID shot? I've been sick a long time here and I don't exactly love the idea of deliberately making myself feel like poo poo again, but, statistically I know I'd be idiotic not to, especially since I have every reason to believe that despite getting kicked in the t-cells 3 times in a row here, I do not believe I've had COVID since 2020 (if ever).

Also even if it's okay to get a shot while sick with something other than covid (??? probably not ???) I am not willing to do that, I am determined to rest my way through this as healthfully as possible. Well, okay, minus some edibles and a shot of brandy.

The Oldest Man posted:

Scheduled my costco boosty appointment for Tuesday, can't wait to have my 5g moth dna activated

Vermont has so many moths already and such lovely internet -- get this -- not only do we not get the moth parts, our booster only upgrades a small percentage of our remaining 3g networks to LTE. Just nonsense, thanks a lot Biden.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Oct 12, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if it's not Covid get that boostyjoos immediately imo

also if you have a doctor... maybe call them. having a fever so long is a really bad thing and you're gonna be in rough shape regardless of its etiology

I've been seen two or three times lately, mostly recently yesterday :shrug:

Lyme negative, blood count on the high end of normal. Symptoms similar to rest of family, just more protracted.

Cosmic monsters reaching through time to kill me.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Visiting a family member in the hospital put me in public and at risk and therefore also in N95s more than I've been in the last several years (which mostly have been staying home but getting sick anyway via my kids). So I said gently caress it and just went full raver catboy, I don't give a gently caress, this is how I dress at home and it seemed to make the nurses slightly happier about their day? I also saw at least one person ~10-15 years older than me give me a once over and then look incredibly nervous, which made me happy even if I should be much too mature to give a gently caress.

I'm finally home and well enough myself to not get boosted; I almost did it while visiting my family because it was in a metro area with more jabs to go around, but I didn't want to drive back home vaxx-sick, so I have to schedule everything here.

Hospital was an interesting mix of providers in n95s, provides nose-dicking surgical masks, and everything in between. There were still signs all over saying EVERYONE MUST BE MASKED: PATIENTS, PROVIDERS, VISITORS but there was zero enforcement and I don't even know if it was an active policy or 2-years-old signage.

tuyop posted:

why this particular type of thing keeps happening is pretty bizarre to me too. my whole life the only thing we really tried to normalize in public was being fully clothed and civil.
here in Vermont you're not required to be fully clothed anywhere unless that place has there own specific policy but if you want to be nude you must leave your house nude, you cannot leave home clothed and then get undressed in your car to go into the grocery store :staredog:

I wonder if a nude shoplifter here has ever been ID'd based on their Genital Fingerprint.....

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

It was an old sign. UVM health network facilities have been mask off since the spring.

this was in NYS and they were clearly facility-specific signs and not health dept related ones. Whether or not the policy is still in effect, that HCN held on to the concept well past the mandate. All providers were masked in some way; almost everyone in the actual ED was as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Manager told me her kid gets sick every two weeks from school. Normal.

I mean... yes? In a lot of tightly packed schools this has been the case for a long time. My sister in law who has 3 kids told me (before COVID) that planning trips to see us during the school year was almost impossible because "the odds of at least one of the kids not having a cough and or nasty snot, at any point during the winter, is low". This also tracks with what I saw among coworkers in the 2005-2015 era before I had kids but worked with a lot of kid havers.

If there's really a massive acceleration in overall childhood sickness, we'll have more and more data on that. As far as I can tell, that's not what I am seeing locally -- last year was especially hosed up, this year appears to be a lot more normal. Our kids have still gotten sick a bunch; they are tiny and this is expected; our doctors and the school are, so far, saying that this year looks a lot more like 2019 than it looks like 2022, so, we'll see. Our kids got us sick several times last year and then we had one blast of illnesses through the house so far at the beginning of this year; zero COVID, flu or RSV.

So... what isn't the same locally, as in 2017? Well my kid has a friend who has permanent vestibular issues from COVID at the age of 7, masking remains required at all my medical appointments and I continue to see people in masks shopping/etc (VT, elderly, left-leaning population). Also the overall state of the medical system has overall degraded substantially; our local dr's office has rebounded substantially and overall things at dr's and pharmas are much, much better staffed than a year ago, but still nowhere near (already hosed) 2019 levels.

Parity warning posted:

anecdotally people are just about starting to be willing to admit that maybe it's not so good when everyone is sick all the time

A big takeaway for me from this entire era is that if we had, nationally, invested massively in truly understanding the connections between air circulation, spread of seasonally circulating diseases and animal migrations, and then diverted substantial national infrastructure into making sure that all enclosed places of congregation had really good air hygeine, it seems entirely possible that I would have been, collectively, sick about 75% less in my life along with everyone else, the net impact to GDP would already have paid itself off 10 times over, and we would have handled COVID with a lot less death.

Also, fuckin DUH that sick people have no place in the office. TBQH for me that's another strong argument for hybrid & remote models. Yea, no one should be expected to work "sick", flipside is, over the 4 weeks I got slammed, I had fever 18 days, but it was extremely mild for about 2/3 of that. I was able to happily and comfortably work from home, and that was preferable to sitting around staring at the TV.

If I had been required to be in the office, I would have had to burn 3+ entire weeks of sick and possibly have employment issues at this point. I would not subject coworkers to fever and other symptoms.

It would be cool if we could go build that infrastructure now!

Also, I do think (very locally) that behaviors have changed a lot. When I used to play Magic in paper it was pretty common during the winter for 1-2 people to have a sneeze or a cough at an event, which always set my teeth on edge slightly but I never thought of it. I stopped playing in early 2020 and sold all my cards, but, from talking to people who still play here -- you see some masks, and, signs of sickness are pretty heavily socially shamed to go the gently caress home or stay there to begin with.

I am on week 3 now of not being sick, and trying to stay that way. Made it through about 20 hrs of hospital time including 5hrs of ED time without getting anything; I'd say "Thanks, Auras!" but my mom who was hospitalized was mostly in the same rooms unmasked (once we got her out of the ED) and made it how without picking anything up either, so we'll take that as a win.

I did notice signage around the hospital indicating specific paths through the building for COVID patients. In all cases I walked the other way.

Joementum posted:

It was an old sign. UVM health network facilities have been mask off since the spring.

The place I go is UVM affiliated. All doctors and staff are masked at all times, outside of therapists inside their office; patients are strongly encouraged to and required to if they show any COVID symptoms.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:05 on Nov 7, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CxO level person in my company was taking questions recently, one of which was "when are you going to force everyone else back to the office?" and they said "lol that is not a thing we're going to do, what we are seeing is teams working this out for themselves and developing hybrid, remote, or in office models that make sense to them. Please work with your management team, escalate to their manager if you're unhappy about something, and otherwise stop asking about this in open meetings because our generally permissive policies are not going to change, they are a permanent feature of the landscape".

There was a pretty strong implication, "if you do not like this, there are plenty of companies which seem to be fully in office, go join one and good luck". I personally can't imagine needing to see my coworkers in person every day so badly that I'd change jobs to a pestilence mine to do so, but, I'm "weird and crazy" by many measures.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If there are serious changes to overall trends then we'll continue to see that data and within a few years it will start to look equivocal.

Because I've had good relationships with COVID conscious providers in the area who are all still masked and pushing vaxxes, and because I have a couple kids in the local system who are just going to be exposed to ~~whatever~~, there really isn't much we can do* except make the smartest decisions for our family, not send our own kids to school or elsewhere sick, and hope that there's eventually a regression towards something resembling a pre-pandemic mean overall if that is not what's happening now.

If that's not what's happening, and doesn't? Okay, I basically grew up inside of a bunch of bubbles: holocene was a bubble, the idea that serious childhood diseases had generally been "dealt with" was a bubble that only existed in specific places and mostly among the wealthier classes in those places.

Whole history of human civ seems to be "lots of people in one spot and then poo poo gets hosed up by disease and the inevitable wars that follow, or vice versa", so if that's the world we head back to then it's just regression towards a mean with a lot more historical precedent than the outrageous bubble of Rockwell-esquie 1940s-present American culture which never really existed anywhere.

It will take that time period and seeing the data set emerge over time, to craft my views though. When I worked in an open office and didn't even HAVE kids, but worked with a lot of people that did, I got sick enough to keep me home from work for a few days 2-4 times every winter season. So did my childless coworkers, and the people with kids ages 0-4 got slammed even harder and more constantly. When I went fully remote in 2016 I basically didn't get sick a single time until our kid entered child care in early 2019, well before COVID was a problem, but none the less she (and all of us) got sick a good number of times that year despite the provider being pretty good about screening kids and sending symptomatic kids home. I didn't keep a little date book of when I got sick so I have no idea if this year has been worse for us or not but also we now have 2 kids interacting with 2 different geographically adjacent communities.

If my local doctors and school are telling me that they're cautiously optimistic because their case rates are a lot more pre-pandemic than not, I believe them, because our schools and daycare are still reporting COVID cases to us when they know about them, and my dr's office continues to bang the drum of "this is a thing that's happening, wear a mask, dummy". As of my last need for medical interaction they told me COVID was about 25% of viral cases they were seeing in the office. They also reiterated a line I've read here, which is, in office PCRs have some value but you just need to keep testing every day or two as long as your sick, and a stack of RATs over a period of time is more convincing than a single PCR.

* alternative, non-public schools which have more severe protocols exist. They cost in the vicinity of $15-25,000/yr/student. We already spend $22,000 a year on child care, can't make that 50k and still make life work the way it needs to, so, here we are!!

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Nov 7, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DominoKitten posted:

This is interesting because it either would indicate:

* There is 33% more viral sickness needing medical attention than before COVID because back then none of those 25% of infections would have existed.
* People’s greater efforts to avoid sickness now, imperfect and incomplete as they are, means that there’s less getting sick from other things, but COVID now occupies a significant slice of that sickness
* Something between the two

I asked this exact question, and, based on my very local anecdotes, the providers think it is "something between the two". I have no idea what vaxx uptake here is like but I've been seeing masks again consistently in grocery stores since mid summer and it has seemed to tick up as the school year has rolled forward. I find it a little hard to believe that people bothering with full on n95s are not also getting boosted, but, who the gently caress knows.

I'd be one of them but I hate leaving home and I am also a bad driver mostly, so I pay someone else to bring me food, tip them more than well enough to afford Auras, and hope they are protecting themselves :rolleye: -- I've tried giving masks away. No one wants free masks, about 50% of drivers do want free weed, such is life.

There is also something to the idea that a kid (or adult) who is out of school (or work) with COVID, if they are truly out of public for the duration, barring household contact with other diseases, should be generally not capable of getting sick with something else until they have returned to interacting with society, so I would expect that to eat into that 33% to some extent?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

finally got tagged. My wife was the first to test hot and she wore an n95 indoors in common spaces w/ filters running, but two nights ago I was comforting one of the kids in bed and she just hacked in my face a bunch for hours and i was too tired and possibly already getting sick to go find a mask, ah well.

Wife is just riding it out; I have a sesamehealth appt in 10 mins to try to get pax

I've been sick a lot 2021-present, nothing has kicked my rear end like this. 104.1F fever through ibuprofin at one point.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

go to test2treat.org for pax if you haven't already. I mean, legitimately you might as well.

get it for your wife too. heck, use your kids' details.

I got myself a script; my wife is disinclined to take it and I am disinclined to pursue this :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

this poo poo is intense

i've been sick a lot the last 2 years

this is a different animal. a pangolin maybe

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

:dogstare:

I got a call from the dude who fixes our mowers about a maybe-2-years-past-due bill. (He's going to send it and if I can't find evidence I paid it, I will pay it!)

Anyway he asked "how are you doing?" and I said "well, I have COVID...". Expected maybe mild sympathy or something.

Did not expect a strong worded and evidence based spiel about how we all need to be very very careful about returning to a normal level of activity any time soon, backed by his own anecdote and the story of a close friend who went back to working 14-18 hr days as soon as they felt better and both ended up in the hospital almost dead with AFib within a few months. Vermont is kind of a weird state, there was less vax hesitancy here than most places and people have been somewhat up front about all this, but I was pretty loving floored to hear all this from someone I've spoken to maybe 20 minutes total in my life, who clearly was only taking the time to try to protect me. That feels weird in America 2023.

That said, I am taking his advice strongly on the nose; the only substantial manual labor this time of year is pulling loads of wood in from the shed to the basement, and I am gonna pay one of my friends whatever it takes to make that problem go away for a month or so.

If this was 1970 I'd be like "gently caress, this is gonna wreck the first six weeks of my ski season" but lol slopes were barely open until Christmas last year and this is an El Nino year.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

also, "Paxlovid Mouth" sucks but it is an excuse to sip dr pepper literally all day

the effect also seems to wane significantly by the time it's time for another dose, which somewhat puts the hypochondriac in me at ease that it is just an annoying direct reaction to the drug which is very likely to clear up within a day or two; also even being worried about that probably means I am doing a lot better than yesterday, which involved a lot of staring at a wall wondering, "I'm probably not dying but if I were how would I know it and do I care??"

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are you sure it's not 100%? I literally have never heard of a case of someone not having significant or major rebound after the pax prescription ends. It seems like it's close to 100% in this thread anyway.

lol if the 100% is remotely accurate why is the thread hype at all on Pax, are the people doubling the length of use having better outcomes? My boss was on pax for 5 days last week and said he thought it did what it was supposed to as far as he could tell; he's had covid twice before.

I thought the 1% I was seeing was extremely unrealistic but also I think if it was anywhere close to 100% we'd know that, as well. Pharma hocking placebos gets overlooked plenty but if people were having significant medical re-admissions or further medical contact, even if the medical infrastructure is so broken that no one noticed, the CMS and myriad insurance pattern-matching algs would find it and put a kibosh on something.

I guess we'll see what happens with Pax when the gov't money for it dries up next month.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Nov 21, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

Or more likely it'll mean insurance just stops paying for it or some dumb poo poo, so it's even more a rich-people-only treatment than it is today.

i think rich people already have access to a secret version of this stuff that doesn't make your mouth taste like you've been giving Bender rimjobs all day :allears:

also since the thing that seems to gently caress with taste is the stuff given to prolong the action of the antiviral, as far as I can tell, makes me wonder if some folks with bespoke dr's just skip that half and take the antiviral more often

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

This loving sucks and I do not want to get this disease again, nor do I wish to stop seeing my children :allears:

I've been thinking about just masking in the house any time I'm outside my closed HEPA'd office

I think I'd get sick way less but there might be downsides, my marriage is already deep into The Zones Of Communication Problems

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Having new GI symptoms and totally no idea if it's the COVID or the pax.

Just the coolest era of public health

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

already at the "wouldn't mind dying" phase, don't need a reup

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

i spent five minutes today wondering why none of my phillips heads would fit a screw hole

it was a torx screw

can this poo poo cause mild memory loss or anything? feel like i heard that somewhere

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well, day 4 of significant illness, day 2 of pax have almost but not entirely lost my sense of smell. Some food tastes okay, other food tastes kind of flat.

I know this is in the usual timeframe for this symptom popping up if it's going to and I also know that in the substantial majority of cases it resolves partially to completely within 60 days, but, as a hypochondriac it would be really nice to hear any positive first hand anecdotes from people who had this. Also suggestions about what to do if anything -- I've identified a few things that smell a bit, like particular cannabis strains, and I am just trying to smell them every time I think of it and also ID anything else that still has a strong smell to it.

I think my smell was reduced when I woke up this morning and went almost totally dark in the meantime. My fever has dropped from 103-range to 100-101 range.

I already have tinnitus and I'm pretty lackadaisical about eating and sniffing flowers so if I had a choice to lose the smell and also the tinnitus I might do that, but, suddenlt being with 2/5 substantially impaired senses seems p bad and also I think smell has all kinda neurological/memory collelates

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

shazbot posted:

I’ve heard shrooms help reboot your sense of taste/smell after covid which I think you’d be amenable to

haha hell yes; i was joking to my wife the other night that if i had to be awake and miserable with COVID anyway maybe i should just drop acid and try to go combat it on the spiritual plane.

Mushrooms can also sort of reboot my tinnitus for a while, and it's been, I dunno, six months. I'm gonna go google this.

e: from reading, this is all based on a large amount of anecdotal data, but the most common working scientific hypothesis is psilocybin-mediated neurogenesis, which makes me think, if that's a thing:
* wait until fully recovered and rested enough, but not much longer
* don't be shy with doses; don't be insane, but this seems like a thing where you very much want to exceed the psychedellic threshold and then ride it out

pretty fascinating. I certainly hope I am one of the (seemingly many) people who recover from this in days-a couple weeks but if it's still nagging me two weeks out, yea, I will probably just take like 2.5-3.5g in tea and buckle in.

It's weird, I can't tell if my smell is going, or just shifting back and forth. I was able to smell coffee grounds, then I poured some coffee and it tasted like water; then I smelled coffee grounds again and could not. But, at that point I could (faintly) smell vinegar, which I hadn't been able to smell a half hour earlier.

I am pretty sure my wife's sense of smell is completely hosed too because she's super sensitive to the smell of marijuana usually (makes her sneeze) and I just have like a half pound in here in open containers that I have been sniffing, and she didn't even notice when she came in :grimace:

She couldn't take pax, either (breastfeeding).

there's a story (may have been one of the early accounts that created interest in this) of a guy getting his smell back all at once, mid trip.

I've read another anecdote about someone's tinnitus turning off in the middle of a mindfuck high dose trip, and then just staying turned off for years and years.

I don't think there's any "magic" here, just a bunch of extremely interesting brain changing chemicals we don't understand or respect well enough.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Nov 22, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol this was just published

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37650700/

quote:

In the first case, a man who developed microsmia after a respiratory infection experienced improvement in smell after the use of 6 g of psilocybin containing mushrooms. In the second case, a woman with anosmia since childhood reported olfactory improvement after ingestion of 100 µg of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD). In the third case, a woman with COVID-19-related anosmia reported olfactory improvement after microdosing 0.1 g of psilocybin mushrooms three times.

gonna have to read up on this while I wait around and hopefully recover. I'm prone to anxiety but I also seem to be prone to weird physical and neurological issues so I am.... anxious and pessimistic.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Louisgod posted:

lol that's a gargantuan spread of doses there. 6g is a heroic "murder my ego, meet god and kill him" dose, and 0.1g is teetering on homeopathic levels of placebo.

I do 2g every couple months and it does incredible things for the anxiety I get from my tinnitus, and I haven't got COVID yet somehow. mushrooms helping to restore sensory inputs makes a lot of sense considering psilocybin removes the guardrails from your senses. hope it catches on.

Yeah, my lifetime high was 8g but that was in 2003.

Hopefully I don't end up needing to mess with this but I'd probably start at 2-3g. Or like 100ug of acid.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I hope UnfortunateSexFart is doing great :worried:

Wow, did this thing kick my rear end across the room, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am basically ecstatic to say my smell is coming back. I realize that's what I should expect, but the time frame of "days to never" is loving terrifying.

Hilariously, it did force me to realize how little of the food I eat on a very regular basis has much aromatic component to it -- if I had to get by on yogurt + grape nuts + maple syrup and popsicles, all that stuff basically tasted fine. But, you realize the importance of little things like the litte "ahh" each morning catching a whiff of coffee. Doomer that I am I was already imagining having to find new, non aromatic rituals to replace moments like that so that my Life Fabric Richness Index (LFRI) didn't take too bad a hit.

Stuff still tastes a little weird, but I've got 2 days of paxlovid to go on top of everything else; since stuff smells again, and, as far as I can tell, smells the way it should I am just going to relax and continue to take it extremely easy for a while. And also certainly not assume I'm off the hook for problems (nervously looking at thread title and thinking about ski season that starts in a month)

e: oh yea I got fuckin conjectivitus out of this too, as of like 5am, and I probably can't do poo poo about it b/c it's turkey day.

The rest of the family is still hacking and older kiddo still had a fever as of yesterday.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Nov 23, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

oh I think we have an immunity debt

because COVID cashed some checks in us

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

annd I can't smell again. What a weird virus.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol indeed

i couldn't really taste dinner at all but now my smell is working again so I had coffee at 9pm because my sleep is hosed anyway and who knows if I'll be able to taste coffee in the morning so carpe diem

periodically just taking a huff of the smell of weed concentrate, too

smell every terp as though it were your last, never know when it might be

(I am not vaping the concentrate because of the COVID but I have had hella tincture)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'm basically getting all (at a muted level) or nothing, and weirdly, sometimes after I blow my nose it gets a LOT better, other times this has no effect.

It seems like there's a combination of congestion and some specific COVID thing, which is sorta flitting back and forth.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I had thanksgiving with 3 other COVID positive people :toot:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Survived surgery at least. it was triple bypass and I am currently heavily drugged. I am talking via avoice to text

Glad to hear it.

Anecdotally, my uncle had a triple bypass when he was about 50 and they told him he had another "5-10 years". He did eventually die of a heart attack. At the age of 83, and while splitting wood with a hand maul. Pretty much the Death of Champions, IMO. Hopefully they give you a better prognosis than that, gonna assume all this poo poo has gotten better since 1985 or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am envisioning the opening scene of In The Mouth of Madness where government agents have come to visit Sam Neill in his padded cell, except it's Leonardi. "Things must be getting pretty bad out there... to bring you fellas in".

I did not have a pax rebound so I am bucking the trend and coming back to report that. This is 8 days since last dose. I felt substantially better within 48hrs of starting it and compared to my spouse who cannot take pax, I seem to have had a substantially shorter duration of illness.

I'd prefer not to have COVID again. As would, I am sure, my T cells.