Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Covid still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just checked the official CDC site and they said it was mild and over and not a problem??? I'm gonna need a citation for that

Prepare to be disappointed lmao

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Baddog posted:

The various government agencies seems to be expecting everything to just come together in the next couple weeks with apparently little to no coordination/communication. I'm going to be a little amazed if it actually does.

I'm guessing their expectation is that very few people will actually get boosted regardless of what they do so they've preemptively thrown their hands in the air so they can blame other people for the eventual problems that arise from folks not being up to date. Also so they can continue victim blaming unvaxxed folks for the continued death and disability.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Aug 21, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

one normal day.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mrbotus posted:

so is the reason this thread is so shitted up with trolls and drama now because everyone is forced to get infected by their family, job situation etc? like sour grapes?

it doesn't matter to me personally since there's nothing i need other that I don't already know (wear a mask), but it definitely makes the thread less interesting. i reckon it will die on its own similar to the dd thread

"What makes you so good you don't deserve to get COVID?"

It's been discussed all to hell and back, but yeah this thread attracts people seeking contrition for very lovely situations, so it's easy to troll because people are just gonna be more emotional about this topic. There's also the weird social reaction as above, where people assume folks trying to protect themselves from COVID consider themselves better than other people, which is really similar to like the weird reactions people have to vegans/vegetarians.

There's almost certainly an element of dissonance out there as well that increases thread making GBS threads traffic when COVID cases are worse, but that's not the sort of thing one can quantify.

I personally don't think the thread can last because it's clear the objective from on high is to demand "normalcy" when discussing a situation that is decidedly not normal.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Aug 22, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all allergies are simply manifestations of childhood traumas and aversions, and can be conquered through rigorous mental fortitude

Get on that CBT and graded exercise, also maybe work some more hours? Work fortifies the spirit.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Jort Fortress posted:

Summer Flu really tearing through my coworkers now that school is back. I’ve casually suggested Paxlovid to a few of them that mentioned being sick and either get “oh, it’s not COVID” or total confusion because they’ve never heard of the medication and probably think I’m insane. Mind you, they all acknowledge COVID’s continued existence, so I’m not sure why the refusal to mitigate its long term risks.

why won’t they use the tools :saddowns:

Well, you see, only weak or vulnerable people need to worry about COVID, so the tools are there for the weak and the vulnerable. Being weak or vulnerable in the United States is a moral failing, almost as bad as being poor, since we all know the universe rewards the good and punishes the bad.

As a result, your coworkers aren't willing to admit or even explore the possibility that they are sick enough to need the tools.

Put more succinctly: propaganda works.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sunny Side Up posted:

anyone watching or registered to comment for the HICPAC meeting going on right now?

pandemic organizing group registered some people

it's been going on a while but public comment started like 20 mins ago

live video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqjC26DGr38

zoom: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/j/1615322622?pwd=T1Vnci9IQVF6YS9nQzBzTTlTZTQzZz09

CDC Poised To Weaken Masking, Infection Control
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2023/08/21/cdc-poised-to-weaken-masking-infection-control/?sh=69ea390e2517

edit: submit your written comments after the fact to hicpac@cdc.gov

The YouTube video was public but has since become private. Hooray for transparency!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mumbling posted:

The public comments were 30 mins of them getting put on blast so I can see why. How spineless.

Yeah somebody shared this summary of the thing from Twitter. An obviously biased source but at least gets the gist of the meeting and recounts the public comments fairly well:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1694019680371978607.html

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Phigs posted:

The scrutiny makes it different. You could have that same meltdown in a random thread in these forums and chances are no mod would end up seeing it.

People in the thread need to understand they have to have more restraint.

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

nexous posted:

too much Covid fatigue to remove the outdated signs

They forgot they were there.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Rochallor posted:

I still can't believe this isn't widely known. Half-assed disease control measures killed half the flu. Like, assuming governments were capable of handling this sort of thing, they could have gone, "Covid has died out, but we're gonna lock down for an extra week just in case and to see if we can get rid of one of the seasonal cold variants and eradicate the flu for good. Here's food and $2000." Better worlds are possible, we just choose not to live in them.

Yeah it's like some kind of normalization process has been going on where those in authority say everything is fine and things can't be better to cover their rear end and dodge responsibility, and since we live in the delusion of a meritocracy most people assume those authorities must be telling the truth, and flag dissenters as crazy or stupid. Surely they wouldn't be making these decisions if they weren't qualified!

Edit: The minimizers aren't even necessarily greedy or malicious. They just care more about keeping their position than protecting others.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Aug 24, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

fosborb posted:

this got reported as being anti vaxx

just to be clear to lurkers, Bastard Tetris specifically worked on bamlanivimab, which hasn't worked since omicron and is no longer authorized to be used anywhere in the US

I remember this one only because if fits into Black Betty.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

fosborb posted:

sure, feel free to engage with those posts if they come up anywhere. reporting them would be helpful too

So, help me out here. Can you help me understand how coming in here to relitigate old drama with the obvious implication that the whole thread is responsible is not perpetuating an us vs them mentality? Is that the sort of thing that is bad and probatable or does that only apply one way?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Aug 24, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Needing to tell my boss "hey FYI if people doxx me it's they got super mad that I tried to mod an internet forum" was fun to do.

It's important that you remind your boss that these people are very very normal.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think the forums might have problems with posters not being "normal" outside of the COVID thread, like maybe some systemic issues to address. Jfc lmao.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DickParasite posted:

Sure enough BP had some strong opinions about the Covid thread too.

She was referring to herself in both of those quotes.

If this is the standard for normal I'm glad I'm a weirdo lmao.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pingui posted:

I am not sure I really appreciate said "different phase".

The different phase is "over," or perhaps "self inflicted blindness."

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

I don't know if that's a slap fight, but we do need words with some people over this trash fire.

I don't think there's much to say, tbh. The people elsewhere who rile each other up over this thread and petition the mods to gas it because we're not "normal" included one particular piece of poo poo.

That speaks for itself.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 25, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
In the SAD posting thread a mod/admin mentioned that like half of all reports are worthless or slapfights, so I can't wait for the deluge of LC probes for erroneous or lovely reports.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

hailthefish posted:

the surgical is for keeping droplets of peoplesoup from going in my faceholes

i just decided to take a selfie before going into the dirty area to make a fun joke about ppe in the covid thread

Yeah when I used to do MLT work that's basically exactly what I'd wear, but this was in the early 00's. Faceshield, surgical, coat and gloves was plenty enough to deal with regular hospital lab samples. It just really blows that everyone is having to navigate a perpetual level 3 biohazard zone that is now society lmao.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

It is legit weird that the more complicated the PPE is the more comfy it is, yesterday I did 14 hours in a PAPR with no problems at all

It makes some sense since the more complicated stuff is designed for professional use. It's that one parable about poor person shoes but with masks, I think from like a Terry Pratchett book?

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Aug 25, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

eXXon posted:

Why are you putting anti-vaxxers in scare quotes like they don't exist and haven't since succeeded in stoking unfounded fears of actually sterilizing childhood vaccines that nearly eradicated the diseases they targeted?

The risk calculation for young people being nebulous may have been debatable while approval for under 18s was still being underway but luckily there's plenty of evidence now that the risk for myocarditis is lower for the second dose (I assume that means of the original primary vaccine schedule) than for an actual COVID infection. "Bbbut it's not sterilizing" well good thing there's another study posted here practically every week that mrna vaccines reduce the risk of many of the other bonus COVID features that can hospitalize or kill you beyond myocarditis.

Anybody that says that the COVID vaccine is more dangerous than COVID, regardless of age, is either lying or incompetent, full stop.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

'quarantines could never have worked right if capitalism didn't allow them to be used correctly!' yes, good, I'm glad we're all on the same page here, that is one of the things we've complained about a lot, see also, airlines dictating health policy

just gonna go bowling with these tepid mostly-correct hot-takes, better spice'em up good and frame them in a weirdly combative manner that equates appropriate skepticism of capitalists with regressive fringe movements

It's a weird is-ought issue wherein capital seeming to be an insurmountable hurdle means that is how things ought to be, and we shouldn't consider challenging that notion.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

tuyop posted:

the antivaxx endgame is a sense of solipsism so strong that believers can no longer attribute cause to effect or understand huge swaths of reality. this gives you a population ready to believe amazingly stupid lies.

so, the antivaxx poo poo plays directly into fundamental evangelical death cult Christianity, which plays into flat earth/young earth creationism and the idea that there are no germs, actually, and disease is solely caused by environmental exposure to toxins and inbreeding.

Or sin.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tulip posted:

I do think an interesting wrinkle in this story is that "capitalism" wasn't a truly unified front on this. Different sectors had different opinions on lockdowns, and I remember reading a few articles from 2020 of leftists saying that the lockdowns were less about healthcare and were rather a pro capital conspiracy theory to depress in-person organizing and drive money toward online services. Quite a few capitalist orgs and institutions were quite open about their belief that disabling large numbers of workers was bad for them! A place where this felt particularly obvious was watching NYS government flip flop on a seemingly daily basis over things like WFH, it felt incredibly obvious that we were getting policy set by "was the last person who talked to the governor a finance guy, or a real estate guy." And yes those often overlap, but the specific interest in profiting off of rents vs profiting off of growing industries were in conflict on this one. That rents won was a political fight that I do not think was foregone by the boundary conditions of the universe, but instead the result of pro-rent actors being more organized and better placed in the specific situation the US exists in.

That's true. I just think their overall point was "better things aren't possible." In other words, lib poo poo.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

lmao that they had a document like that ready to go

I'd think most hospitals are going to have indemnification documents or whatever on hand at a moment's notice. Honestly more surprising they didn't have them signed in advance.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Did anybody say Florida variant yet?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Have there been published standards for vaccine access this Fall, or are we still waiting on those?

I remember Offit making similar comments during those early meetings when they were deciding which variants to target, so he's definitely involved. 75 or older is new to me though. Could have sworn it was 65 before.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

I think I see the game plan for this season. Pushing the "the XBB antibodies will work on Pirola!" and getting the shots out quicker to everyone just means that when people starts to get sick and the hospitals get filled up, they can fall back on "why didn't you get your shot? It was your personal responsibility to keep up with the Covid boosters!" And so nothing has to change

My expectation is that they restrict it to old and immune compromised folks, only make enough, but also push that group heavily, so when there's decent uptake they can claim victory against the virus instead of last year's what, like 14% vaccine uptake?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah the constant desire of people to try to square peg covid into the round hole of seasonal genuinely bothers me. It's not a seasonal virus you idiots.

It's seasonal. There's a wave just about every season!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Can I get a reminder of what weed does to Pax? The OP has a link that doesn't seem to go over it.

One of the components of Pax makes your body take longer to filter out stuff, which means if you get high while on Pax you'll probably be higher for longer periods, so it's generally recommended you reduce or stop your intake of weed while on Paxlovid.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

seems like a waste to spend millions on discovering diseases when we could easily discover these diseases for free simply by telling people to kiss wild animals and lick some coprolites

We don't even have to tell them!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Parity warning posted:

i thought that was just oracle taking the piss but that's actually in there lmfao

Nothing more normal than desperately smiling to keep the acknowledgement of reality at bay.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I think pet to human spread is documented to have happened, but it was like literally a sick cat sneezing directly into a vet's face. I don't think it's widely considered common, but I also don't think there's been much if any study on it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Meanwhile, Ed Sheeran has had covid at least 7 times. :shepface:

Touring musicians are speedrunning the "what happens if you keep getting reinfected" experiment, albeit with the confounder that they won't have much recovery time between bouts with the virus. Impossible to say at the moment if getting it 7 times in 3 years is worse than 7 times in 10 years, though it very well might be.

I mean it almost certainly is.

If immune damage takes an average of something like eight months to recover, any frequency of infection more often than that is going to lead to cumulative immune damage. These performers obviously have the money and access to get fairly high quality care and treatment, which is probably keeping them from getting hit too bad, but those T-cells take a while to recover even in younger folks, and every COVID infection kills some.

I'd think the same is true for just the general organ damage from a COVID infection. The less time to heal between bouts the more likely that damage to a particular organ accumulates to the point of causing longer term issues.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Anyone got any favorite story rich indie rpgs for the Switch they like?

Disco Elysium.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

this was last summer. so... delta? i can't keep track anymore.

Last Summer was still Omicron (mild). Delta was Summer 2021.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Mr. Rogers telling Covid how special it is

I believe the first Incredibles film teaches us that we should create a bunch of additional pandemics with virtually every disease. When every disease is special, no one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

i'll be honest, i never liked the thread catchphrase 'open biden'

gently caress you pelosi for introducing it to the world

It is not something you're supposed to appreciate lmao.