Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Took about a day off and now I'm skipping 8 pages after reading the OP to resume covid posting with my covbrosandbroettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rick posted:

Anyone here do trucking? In my imagination you could stay pretty covid safe despite all the driving around but maybe I'm missing something.

I used to be a truck broker, so I have adjacent level knowledge. Unless you are able to get a home every night type trucking job, your showering locations will be truck stops where you'd be rolling the dice on shared air. Otherwise you should be able to mask up for the times you need to go into facilities. As some others have posted it's likely that you'd encounter a lot of negativity around masking which is something to keep in mind.

For an in person job you certainly would be around other people for a low percentage of time, but it's also a tough job on your health from all the hours sitting driving and the difficulty of getting and eating healthy food on the road.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Is carageenan spray supposed to sting? I was using an off brand for a while and it would sting, now I got the flo travel name brand and it doesn't. Am I doing it wrong, either before or now?
No idea broadly speaking but personally I've been huffing the ePothex brand for about a week now and do get some vibrant stinging for maybe ~5 seconds after using the spray.

Steve Yun posted:

seventh biggest wave and climbing

Can you share a link to this, or is it on a closed system like bluesky or whatever?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jennifer cummings

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

speng31b posted:

And finally while I understand and respect that immunocompromised and people from all walks of life post in this thread, I think it kinda sucks to frame things that thread regulars dislike or probes for bad posts as particularly setting out to target the immunocompromised. That's not what anyone is setting out to do here, even the meanest trolls, I don't think.

the purpose of a system is what it does

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Al! posted:

honey we gotta come up with more for the party tray than just guac

only guac can judge me

live by the guac, die by the guac

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Lysine because it keeps the dinosaurs in check

oh I didn't know that was the name of the asteroid

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What's the thread thought on when booster shots will actually be available this fall? I think I heard end of Sept?

I'm going to be doing masked travelling for a dead (mid 90s) relative's memorial service early Oct and hoping I can get some juice before for extra protection.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

quote:

How? The authors used the existing database of the Connecticut Department of Correction, where infection data based on high frequency of testing for SARS-CoV-2 on ~9300 residents across 13 facilities were available. (3/)

Looks to me like it was a study looking at already gathered data, so this wasn't a situation of putting prisoners into rooms with varying levels of covid on purpose to see the end result, which would be a very bad thing to do. But I don't have the time to read the entire study right now so perhaps I'm wrong.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

fosborb posted:

watching rich folks run headlong into hard rear end librarians who wouldn't let them into the last day of the Davinci exhibit was loving incredible. people were pulling out checkbooks and poo poo to try to buy their way in

:psyduck:

If you would be so kind as to share more details so I can laugh more. Like I'm assuming there was a capacity limit or something?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what's the shelf life on Narcan, is it a particularly unstable molecule?

Yeah the length of time it stays good for will determine for me if I buy some or not, I can't remember what it's expiry dates were like back when I did the emt life.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1696943148788785456

covid may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people, so it's impossible to say if its bad or not

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

Very surprised the protocols go this far:
To nitpick this part, and hope for those kids and parents that it's further elaborated on, "Students who test positive will be required to isolate at home for at least five days and participate in virtual learning."

If my kid is sick I am not going to make them do school work while at home sick. gently caress you school.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's almost time for my daughter to go back to school so I find myself reading the latest school district document (2 pages) provided to families about what sickness symptoms should have you keeping your child home. Things like fever, pink eye, vomiting, etc. I will give you one guess how many times the word covid appears in this document.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

utterly hosed up that these telehealth services are apparently programmed to refuse to let you even consult a doctor about getting Paxlovid for your 12yo, even though the FDA EUA authorizes it. try a google search for your state/county/city/school district and Paxlovid/telehealth, maybe you'll get a more local telehealth service that isn't mentioned itt?

My kid turns 12 later this year so I'm not looking forward to experiencing this same thing down the line. Sorry goon, the world is hosed :(

Yeah this is likely related to the liability the online services wanted to take on, maybe also they don't want to hire any pediatric Doctors and don't want general family med docs prescribing to non-adults. Definitely sucks rear end and is bullshit though! Good luck finding a local doc for your 12+ year olds fellow goons.

I have years and years before I will be concerned with the 12+ availability, I'm sure COVID will be gone by then :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Loucks posted:

Update: Pax Rx acquired. Sesame Care is viable for >11 if you make an account and request an appointment for another person. Just requesting the appointment without specifying that it's for someone else gets you denied for being under 18

Oh you know what, isn't there some law about online accounts for under 13s? I wonder if that's related to the weird way it was setup. Glad you were able to get it sorted after all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

I go to an appt only barber in a solo shop where the door is open in most weather and fans are running. Barber in a KF/KN95 or surgical and me in my N95 that I earloop hacked. Barber lifts the loops out of the way the short amount of time needed whilst mostly maintaining the tension for a seal. I also now use the iota carrageenan spray pre and post.

Up until last winter I had my haircut at home.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I suppose mortality was always like that, though.
the hits keep coming, and they don't stop coming

sorry your dad got got, hope he has an easy time of it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BCR posted:

Question: Moderna ba 4-5, Pfizer ba 4-5, or original novavax for booster no 5.

I'm leaning to novavax again for wider, general protection again or Moderna for Pokémon completion vibes.

Any data on effectiveness to hand?

I also would love to see data. But based on past data where Moderna owns bones, plus the fact I'm Moderna x 4 already, I might just stay team M.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

I'm only aware of the one.

I'm sitting in a drive-thru right now but I think it's two.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BusError posted:

It's a week out from my partner's symptom onset and a day and a half since finishing Pax. She tested negative today, hooray! I know we're not out of the woods yet, but at least it's going about as mildly as could be hoped so far.

I think I want to get a PCR test to just make sure I didn't get tagged, even though my rapids have been negative and I haven't had any symptoms. When is the right time to do that? I was figuring sometime this weekend, but I'm not really sure.

10 days from the symptom onset of your partner is probably as good a day as any for your PCR test, I suppose you could do like 11-12 days but if you were to assume you picked up asymptomatic covid from her on her first symptomatic day then the infection could already be waning and perhaps over before you PCR test if you wait too many more days. Hell an asymptomatic infection could already be over anyway for you, just due to variance in individuals and covid doing it's wacky so random thing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm gonna dicknose my mask but then have this mask on my nose.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BusError posted:

So partner was feeling better at the end of last week, then on Sunday had a big rebound and today is feeling absolutely terrible. She is completely convinced that it's entirely due to Paxlovid, because her brother, who got got at the same time as her and did not take Pax, is feeling most of the way better now. It's very cool how I can't even succeed at accurate science communication within my own household with someone who already trusts me! I love it!

Wait until your partner finds out that some people who get covid actually die.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

maxwellhill posted:

what's this thread's opinion on the five second rule? good? bad?

I would 5 second rule in my own house but not in public.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TheDestructinator posted:

how soon after an exposure should i be testing? I have 1 lucira and some rapids, I assume the rapids are less accurate if I have no symptoms.

New variants show faster I believe but 1-3 days, I'd probably wait 2 days without symptoms.

Unrelated, I was at a retail place over the weekend, saw probably 100+ people, I was the only mask. It's getting lonely out there!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The monovalent was supposed to be available towards the end of the current month, September, but we shall see when it hits store shelves!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

so is moderna creating an updated booster too? I'd like to stick with House Moderna as that's what I've had in me up to now.

Yes they did, I have just scheduled to get another clot shot for Monday at Walgreens hoping of course they have the updated shot by then, the website claimed it would be Moderna but TBF if I show up and it's only the new Pfizer I'll just take it. I've got a trip in a few weeks time for a memorial service that I would love some titers for.

Oh also I booked my flu shot for the same visit, ya'll should be sure and get that juice too if you haven't.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Ok cool I'll just schedule an appointment and take whatever I can get, House Moderna can eat my rear end.

for the flu shot, last year it was recommended people wait until mid-October so antibodies are at their highest during the height of cases, still the case for this year too?

No idea about the flu antibodies myself, with the aforementioned upcoming trip which should be my worst exposure likelihood minus the whole kid in school thing - I'm just jabbing before that.

side note, scheduling some other stuff with Kaiser-Permanente and at the end of the message I just got back they said, "Be healthy. Live well. Thrive." Like thanks, I'm trying, maybe bring back masking in healthcare????

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There's also Houses in Game of Thrones and like most every other fantasy, magical, sci-fi worldbuilding ever but lol at the latching onto HP. Thread poster challenge, read literally any other book series.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

Sure, but this was an actual thing:

Ah damnit my thread lore was incomplete, mea culpa.

puncturewound78 posted:

"read any other book series"

only names a song of ice and fire as an example, incorrectly too, lol. lmao.

but I agree. Read more, fuckers.

I'll be sure to think for more than 3 seconds when listing out examples next time for you so that puncturewound78 knows how smart and well read I am.

edit: Ok to be nicer instead of just poo poo posting, the reason I said GoT was because it's probably the other biggest most well known example of "Houses" in modern entertainment due to the HBO series. I wish you a blessed day.

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Sep 13, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

puncturewound78 posted:

just playing back!

reading rules!

Le Guin is my favorite author

also Octavia Butler slaps, especially Xenogenesis and Parable.

fav new author is Julia Armfield

most impactful book ive read this year was Tell Me Im Worthless by Alison Rumfitt

I've been reading some Terry Pratchett this year in terms of fantasy. I've actually never read anything by Le Guin, I really should rectify that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Lots of people getting sick lately. Something must be going around.

yeah it's the summer flu, which is a totally real thing and not made up

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh don't get me wrong at this point there's absolutely regular colds going around in varying forms. But there's a weird uptick in people calling long bad spring and summer sicknesses "the flu" when it's objectively not.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dxt posted:

Is the moderna shot still bigger? More vaxxx = more titers = more good

Anyone able to answer this? I tried a quick google but trying to google for this specific dose versus the previous formulations, and everything is like a PDF of tons of bullshit I'm trying to sift through.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brap posted:

trip report on Aptitude Metrix tests:

I used the nasal swab method. After you take the sample, you insert the swab into the sample collector, press it in to a little plastic retainer, then bend the swab to break the tip off. then you take the cap off a little cartridge and press it into the collector. this breaks a seal which makes all the fluid drain into the sample collector. the instructions say to “shake very hard” for 20 seconds so I did. then you plug the collector into a sensor, and that plugs into the reader. the reader plugs in to a usb-c power supply. no more getting a pair of AA batteries for every single test.

once you’re done you remove the sensor/collector assembly and throw it away. it conveniently contains all the biological material. the test took 31 minutes to run for me, for whatever reason it wasn’t done when my 30 minute timer expired. got a negative result, so last weekend’s risky event turned out OK I guess.

I haven’t yet tried the saliva method of course but probably will in the future. I was very satisfied with the testing experience and hope I’ll be able to get more of these kits to use for the long term.

Thanks for the trip report, where did you buy it?

A quick search yields: https://shop.peachmedical.com/products/Metrix-COVID-19-Molecular-Saliva-Swab-KIT-1-Test-Reader-Sold-Separately-p561344282

So if that's about what it is everywhere you're looking at $47.99 per test with a reusable reader that costs $75. Anyone already have their data/accuracy bookmarked, especially in comparison to other tests? The sales pages says 98% accurate but how true is that in reality?

edit: here is the company page https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product/metrix-covid-19-test

edit 2: Comparing the limits of detection for Lucira versus Metrix. Lucira LoD was 2700 Genome Equivalent, Metrix was 2000 GE. So if we assume that both tests target parts of covid that are conserved between variants, then the Metrix test should be more accurate as it requires less viral material. Our more chemistry minded goons can feel free to correct me on this.
https://www.fda.gov/media/162403/download
https://www.fda.gov/media/143808/download

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Sep 15, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ya'll got any good info, like words/tweets/paragraphs/papers from someone like Leonardi discussing how paxlovid isn't the reason your body isn't developing antibodies so you keep getting covid and actually it's because covid is a little piece of poo poo that doesn't care about your immunity.

Got a friend who has used pax before but now on their third infection and they are wondering if the pax is making them not build immunity. They would actually be willing to see further data beyond me saying "that's not a thing" and so I'd love to provide it if there's some good words out there on the topic.

TIA.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

"Clinical, Virologic, and Immunologic Evaluation of Symptomatic Coronavirus Disease 2019 Rebound Following Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir Treatment"

Thank you, I would say King/Queen poo poo, but you are better than royalty!!!!!!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

10 days into the new school year. My daughter came home with congestion today, now I've found out that one of her table classmates earlier this week was wearing a mask then the next day wasn't. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I'm probably in danger. Hopefully my daughter continues to have congestion being her worst symptom, she is of course vaccinated and boosted. I plan to test her if she gets worse or on Sunday but acting as if she has it for now. So 6.5 hours where I'm relying on Iota Carrageenan spray and HEPA filters, and I've now added masking now that I found out the new info.

Edit: these are the filters that were in her classroom last year until they were removed for being unfair.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

gargle with listerine cool mint also (alcohol or alcohol free, dealers choice). I got exposed six days ago and used both the iota spray and gargled after brushing like I had a crush on my dentist and managed to dodge it.
This will also reduce viral replication if you/she pop positive so won’t hurt your kid either (though the listerine is… intense the nasal spray is nbd and just seaweed extract and salt water so allergies shouldn’t be an issue unless she’s allergic to seaweed).

I currently don't have any listerine but I might decide to place a grocery delivery order so I'll grab it if I do.

I have the epothex spray which has a bit of alcohol so it stings slighty on initial spraying. I will offer it to her to try as that's a good idea but she's 6 and a big baby about stuff like that so I don't anticipate it going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yeah Epothex is the only one sold in the US, I got Betadine from Canada.
XClear has xylitol and a kids version and xylitol has shown to be roughly equivalent to iota carrageenan (70% reduction vs 80%) and it’s cheaper to boot and available in the US fairly widely (saw it in a local Walgreens and was surprised).

Quoting this to say thanks and to find it later.