Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

*squints* why don't you want to get sick bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i will secure rounds of ivermectin for my potential covid treatment

please don't get mad about the horses i will deprive of worm treatment

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol america doesn't care if you get sick and die. protect yourself, no one will help you

it's rule 1A. it's been the topic of political discussion for nearly 20 years now. accept it, behave accordingly.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oracle posted:

Excellent, thank you. Also lol that their latest variant data is from almost a freaking month ago.

long delays on things like that are common in municipal/state/fed data. even nyc, which USED to have a great reporting dashboard, was usually three weeks behind

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

Joe Biden insists covid is over (not for him, he keeps a massive mobile air cleaning system with him for all of his talks and demands everyone tests around him) so by god the liberals will make the covid be over.
he's old and at risk, you see. duh.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

sonatinas posted:

calling up my concierge doc to get whatever I want and using my class position to hoover up resources which is acceptable.

wow, crazy, the doctor i have on retainer gives me any prescription i ask about. why doesn't everyone do this?????

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao that to get an idea of covid trends in our loving hellworld requires you to monitor half a dozen different sources of statistics of varying accuracy/timeliness/reliability along with looking for people in the public sphere posting "wow covid again huh"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

random fun question: anyone have a PCP in NYC that still wears a mask/thinks about covid? I called this afternoon to book my annual and asked about masks; no one wears them anymore

...together with some other things (he's never asked me to fast before my annual bloodwork, something that a couple of other people, including my PA friend, thought was bizarre), I'm thinking i'm in the market for a new primary physician.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bedpan posted:

are you getting cholesterol checked? lithium levels? bloodsugar?
all of that gets checked, yes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bedpan posted:

that is probably why then
do you know why that would vary between people? my wife goes in for the same, normal, blood panel every year and her doctor asks her to not eat the morning of her appointment/~12 hours before. my PA friend asks the same thing of people getting bloodwork?

like i sat down and ate a falafel sandwich an hour before my appointment last year, lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

woke up feeling like poo poo for the first time in more than four years. stomach hurt a little, too.

took three antigen tests and a lucira, all negative

no fever, just body aches, no appetite, etc. no coughing, sneezing.

i guess i'll just chalk this up to....????

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Rosalind posted:

You're in luck--I went down this rabbit hole because I was getting eaten alive while visiting a family member last summer and I hate OFF.

Off Spray is 15% DEET so if you are specifically having a reaction to DEET there are some options. You could try a 20% picaridin spray or a permethrin clothing treatment. There are also lotion versions available of picaridin if some other ingredient in the sprays is causing the dermatitis.

For use in a backyard or patio, thermacell makes spatial repellents. Mosquito coils (those green spiral things) do work as well.

That being said, I don't think Texas has too much to worry about local malaria transmission yet. I know they reported a single case of local transmission there in June, but the bigger concern would be West Nile. I do think that due to climate change malaria may become endemic to much of the Southeast eventually in 5-10 years however.

my anecdotal, though extensive, experience is that picaridin works better than deet, but YMMV. permethrin is great too, just keep the liquid away from cats, it's fabulously neurotoxic

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

nexous posted:

too much Covid fatigue to remove the outdated signs
my dude there are bodegas near me that still have signs claiming a maximum capacity of three people

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

economically endemic

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

amazing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

so what’s the good variant to get

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

what on earth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

nexous posted:

let me tell you how much I hate wearing pants. my balks sweat, I can’t scratch my legs, overall a horrible experience

amen

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I have many friends in the same boat. wear masks everywhere, don’t share air, etc. kid is supposed to wear them at school. but … then they eat in a cafeteria, or peer pressure, or stupid teachers who tell them they can take them off

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

sounds like you should get covid so you can leave

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anyone who calls a covid vaccine 'the jab' is crazy, it seems

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

a lotta ya'll still don't get it

pasc victims can use multiple fogs on a single brain
will slurp juices fix it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's Martin Random.
how is this known? i mean... sure makes sense, he's legitimately insane

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

*looks around living room*

no covid here

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Insanite posted:

lol gently caress joe biden.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dxt posted:

Don't need to identify pandemics if we're just going to ignore them
in fact, we are safer if we ignore them. that's exactly what the article says

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've been slammed with work lately, so i have to do the thread bankruptcy thing

new vaccines are available now? my wife said something about novavax being available? Any guidance anywhere about which to get, where, etc?

sorry to do this, thank you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Steve Yun posted:

updated Moderna and Pfizer boosters available now for appointments next week

novavax might have longer lasting protection against future variants, approval expected a week from now
ty

any info anywhere about getting one or the other, or both?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oracle posted:

Modern and Pfizer yes, Novavax gotta wait til the hearing on Sept 22. You can make appointments now (my husband just got back from getting his) but you might not get a choice if you prefer one brand over another until Monday. Shots have been approved and recommended for 6mos and up. See my previous post for details. CVS and Walgreens seem to have their poo poo the most together, doctor's offices less so, public health lol enjoy your wait until some time in October. Call before you go just to make sure whoever you have an appointment with actually has their poo poo together (my husband called all morning to confirm; CVS just got their shipment in this morning and it was only Pfizer).
thank you, and thank you steve yun

i meant one of the mRNA vaccines vs. Novavax. Dunno if I should grab one of the updated ones next week then the Novavax in like November or whatever

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, they might lock you out of getting multiple vaccines per year? or maybe they don’t care anymore since the vaccines are on the open market now? might want to find out for sure beforehand

Haha, thanks for the reminder, completely forgot about the new paradigm of this all falling under normal healthcare/insurance hellworld

jesus christ

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ty covid thread

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Tzen posted:

good posts all around
i posted about it before but i'll post some more, i had msg'ed my doc and they said return to exercise and see how it goes. i went on 2 runs and had to run at a crawling pace (for me) to keep my heartrate down. that was a week ago, and about 1 week after clearing covid. so yeah my resting heart rate is 10-15 higher, and a hill or few flights of stairs and my heartrate is at what would be a jog, it loving sucks.
so i've decided i'm going to take an additional 4 weeks off, so I guess 5 total, and see where i'm at.
it really is a long loving time, i can't imagine 3 months off, just gently caress.
i've already gained a few pounds because of not running while still eating my usual diet, so i need to look at minimizing that so i don't completely blow up, it loving sucks
lol i was going to do a 5k race at the end of oct
lol i was going to do a marathon at the end of nov
i'll maybe still do them??? at a chill pace with walking breaks?? i don't know.
lol being in the best shape of my loving life to having huge heartrate spikes when walking up some hills
:theroni:
posting to say yes, not running SUCKS, but it’s worth it. I did t run from January to June of this year to rehab my Achilles.

you’ll get back into it alright

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

America is about choice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

japan has a huge number of hotels that use kiosks for check in, no staff. lots more restaurants with ordering via tablet and even delivery of food via little robotic carts.

things were moving in that direction, and some of those things already existed, but it's pervasive now

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

this is some real poo poo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Platystemon posted:

That’s a hell of an act. What do you call it?

the democrats

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

everything is turbofucked

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

KlavierVogel posted:

seriously short staffed :smith:
this was anecdotal, but i'll share it now

i visited seattle this summer. i live in nyc.

from the moment i landed at seatac, it was nothing but delays and short-staffing and unavailability.

1) there was no ground crew available for our flight. which arrived on time. we have to hold at the gate for about 20 minutes until one showed up.

2) baggage took nearly 30 minutes to arrive. i asked the delta baggage office if there was a problem while waiting, they said "lots of people gone today"

3) the bus to take me to the car rental area was running on a "modified" schedule. i just assume this is due to a lack of driver. i could be wrong!

4) the car rental plaza, which is massive at seatac, had no one at the hertz counter. empty. a handwritten sign that said to proceed to the "checkout" area. where there was one dude, and a line a couple dozen deep

5) swung through a fast food place at 9pm on a saturday. lobby was locked and closed, said you had to use the drive through, which was around the building. it was clear inside there were maybe four people working. again, not a strange time to be visiting such a place.

6) at the hotel i stayed at downtown for one night, a very nice hotel, there was no one at the desk. i looked around, asked someone else waiting (who also wondered where people were), and eventually someone came from around a corner, apologizing, saying that there was no housekeeping that night and she had to "help out."

7) i was also alerted that there as no room service that night, explicitly due to low staffing. it was a saturday night, at a luxury hotel, in seattle. (i didn't want such a thing, but it was remarkable)

8) the unaffiliated restaurant/bar that was at the hotel closed at 9pm. on a weekend. a restaurant run by a known chef in seattle. again, not something i wanted, but remarkable.

after my wife and i got to the room, we had a real "what the gently caress is going on here" talk. things can be weird from time to time in nyc, but this was bizarre, and was our first time spending serious time in another city since the pandemic started.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Sep 26, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

ok i do want to blame covid but most of this is all extremely normal 2019 seattle stuff, especially ground crew staffing and gate assignments at seatac being totally hosed, the only thing in that list i would not 100% have expected to happen four years ago is the hotel services being unavailable

if you live there, I’ll defer to you, but I’ve been to Seattle many times for work prior to 2020 and never had these problems.

stayed at the same hotel too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

what the gently caress is the us government good for if they can just ask domestic companies to pretty please do things??? kleptocracy