Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
[Problem description: For whatever reason, java refuses to install on my system, and running either the regular or offline installers Oracle provides results in a "Error Code 1603: Java Update did not complete" message.

Attempted fixes: Disabled java, uninstalled the old version, tried the offline installer, disabled all services/programs on boot except the required Microsoft ones, changed the destination folder, ran the installers as administrator (my Windows login is the admin account), restarted the PC after every step listed here.

Recent changes: Nothing

Operating system: Windows 10 home, 64 bit, current on updates

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I've Googled this, and none of the websites I've run across have provided a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
How long before it fails installing? Does it ask for permissions and then fail?

Do a temp file clean, uninstall again, and reinstall, this time run the installer as admin

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

down1nit posted:

How long before it fails installing? Does it ask for permissions and then fail?

Do a temp file clean, uninstall again, and reinstall, this time run the installer as admin

It depends.

Usually it goes to the "installing java" screen, and immediately throws the error as soon as the progress bar appears, but occasionally, the progress bar will move slightly (no more than maybe 10%) before it throws the error.

I've never seen it ask for any kind of permissions, and clearing the temp files yields the same result as everything else I've tried.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
That last sentence is important. It probably is asking for permission.

Try the installer as admin.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've tried that, and the behavior is the same.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK next thing I'd do is restart to safe mode and manually remove or rename all the sun/oracle/java stuff I could find. Sometimes directories or files get idiotic permissions applied.

Search these locations :
c:\program files,
c:\program files (x86)\,
c:\programdata\ (hidden),
C:\users\username\appdata,
c:\program files\common files\, and
c:\program files (x86)\common files\

The reboot to normal, and reinstall java maybe?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
From the Oracle Java Docs, assuming this is the right version, it looks like you can append an argument to the installer exe to produce a log file

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/windows_installer_options.html

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

down1nit posted:

OK next thing I'd do is restart to safe mode and manually remove or rename all the sun/oracle/java stuff I could find. Sometimes directories or files get idiotic permissions applied.

Search these locations :
c:\program files,
c:\program files (x86)\,
c:\programdata\ (hidden),
C:\users\username\appdata,
c:\program files\common files\, and
c:\program files (x86)\common files\

The reboot to normal, and reinstall java maybe?

I found and removed a few Java/Oracle references in those locations, but the installers still behave exactly the same afterwards.

Is there a way to manually install a beta version of Java or something?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
"A few" won't cut it, unless it was just a figure of speech, everything java must go. Delete all the oracle / java everything everywhere you can find it. If you did already my bad.

Java uses "windows installer" for it's install. The beta likely does as well. Probably not going to help. If it's not file placement permissions, perhaps something is bad with windows installer? Disable anti-virus, run the windows installer troubleshooting applet and reboot/retry

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I should have clarified that I removed every Java or Oracle folder I could find, but there were only a few to be found.

Running the Windows installer troubleshooter did the trick.

It looks like it found a Java installation (or parts of one) that wasn't showing up anywhere else, and after the troubleshooter removed that, the Java installer worked just fine.

Thank you very much for the help.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hell yes fuckin knew it