Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Is it a pretty good way to lose weight and improve heart health? I want to try it but I don't want to look like an army larper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dirac Fourier posted:

Is it a pretty good way to lose weight and improve heart health? I want to try it but I don't want to look like an army larper

isnt rucking essentially just hiking or walking around with a weighted backpack? you arent going to look like an "army larper" unless you are wearing a bunch of camo and other stupid poo poo, which why would you do that? just put some weights or books or other heavy poo poo in a normal backpack and take a hike i dont think anyone will be looking at you at all. ive done it to prepare for backpacking trips and you just look like a normal hiker.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Yea, pretty much. Good idea. I ordered a cheap 20 pound plate that should fit in the laptop compartment on my normal backpack. I went down the rabbit hole of people using goruck packs with boots and molle ties. That’s not my jam, I just want to burn calories without messing up my knees.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cool but i mean you dont even need to order a special plate really. i did it with like a bunch of cans of chili and books and just whatever fit in there and was heavy

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's good for your stamina. You are moving a heavy load for long distances so you'll develop a combo of stronger core muscles and aerobic fitness. Like most fitness it will tend to turn fat into muscle so you'll only drop weight slowly if you don't adjust your diet.

In army terms it's hard to prepare for a forced march without doing some distance with a pack, people who lift weights run out of breath and runners can't handle the load. We used to do an hour a week at moderate pace up and down a farm park just so the annual test wasn't a nightmare. If you shuffle or walk at pace on hard surfaces you will eventually grind your knees to paste but if you keep to a reasonable speed it won't do much harm.

Make sure there's some padding so the plate doesn't bite into your back, and do a few with moderate load to adjust your pack properly before you start carrying heavy loads.

Wear army boots or hiking boots that go past the ankles not trail shoes and you'll roll your ankles a lot less, especially if on uneven ground. The more load you carry the more important this gets.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Is this the only way you’re considering being healthier? Any cardio is going to be good for your heart and health. Running, biking, swimming, a rowing machine are all options

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Hotel Kpro posted:

Is this the only way you’re considering being healthier?

This is the only physical activity I'm willing to do. Cycling and swimming are good, but the setup is too long. Running is too tough on the knees. I'm also dieting some: cutting out sodas, beer, chips and having a banana for lunch three days a week. Hoping to lose some weight doing this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't running with a load gently caress your knees? Consuderably more than normal running?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't running with a load gently caress your knees? Consuderably more than normal running?

Ideally in a ruck you aren't running.

I use rucking as part of getting pack fit for hunting, a couple of things I'd consider:

Your shoes are going to make or break you. Make sure they're comfortable and you've got nice wool socks on.

Start slow, start light. My last ruck was 20km at an average of 6kmh and 35kg in the pack, up from starting at 5km with 5kg a few years ago.

Don't buy fancy gear, filled water bottles in a hiking backpack are excellent, if you realise you've gone too hard just tip them out and lighten the load.

Make sure to include hill work.

I'm 185cm, 110kg and I absolutely find a quick pace ruck to be similar effort to running, but way less hard on the joints.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

carrionman posted:

I'm 185cm, 110kg and I absolutely find a quick pace ruck to be similar effort to running, but way less hard on the joints.

This has been my experience so far. I think it’s going to be a good way for me to lose some weight as long as I keep dieting. It feels like a good workout. Sometimes it makes my lower back feel a little sore but it’s only a mild discomfort that lasts for a day, so I think it’s ok. No problems with my knees so far so that’s very encouraging.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dirac Fourier posted:

Sometimes it makes my lower back feel a little sore but it’s only a mild discomfort that lasts for a day, so I think it’s ok.

make sure you are stretching before and after

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006

Dirac Fourier posted:

This is the only physical activity I'm willing to do. Cycling and swimming are good, but the setup is too long. Running is too tough on the knees. I'm also dieting some: cutting out sodas, beer, chips and having a banana for lunch three days a week. Hoping to lose some weight doing this.

Are you strapped for time, or something?

Realistically, you might burn an extra 100 calories per hour rucking with a 20 pound plate. You'd be much better off just cleaning up your diet.

Having only a banana for lunch isn't a great idea -- it's barely 100 calories. If you eat too little throughout the day, you're only going to burn muscle mass, which I don't think is what you want to do.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
If you think rucking is going to be easier on your knees than running....

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Medium Chungus posted:

If you think rucking is going to be easier on your knees than running....

It's been ok so far but I'm only walking with the pack+weight. I'm not trying to run or jog at all

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
definitely do not run or jog while rucking. it will tear your body apart. hell, so will regular rucking, if you are concerned about your knees, you need to do low impact exercise, and walking with considerably more weight than your body is used to, is not low impact. ive done a lot of rucking in my late teens and early 20s and while its not the only contributing factor, my back, feet, and knees are definitely not copacetic.

i dont understand how cycling is too much set-up, you sit on a bike and strap a helmet on, not much longer than strapping on a backpack. i think you should seriously consider cycling or an elliptical machine

but, if youre committed, a good chunk of the weight you ruck with should be on your body. you dont want too much weight hanging off of your back, as that leads to feet, back and knee problems. pack some orange slices and if youre going any serious distance with a decent load, youre going to want to carb load the night before which is counter-productive to your goal.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Re. knees and running, you could also just start running properly. I went from 14 years of constant injuries to now 17 years of no injuries at all, setting new half marathon PRs almost yearly in my late 40s. I ditched Nikes and went minimalist in FiveFingers, Xeros and barefoot in summer.

"Born to run" by McDougall is a good book to start with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Re. knees and running, you could also just start running properly. I went from 14 years of constant injuries to now 17 years of no injuries at all, setting new half marathon PRs almost yearly in my late 40s. I ditched Nikes and went minimalist in FiveFingers, Xeros and barefoot in summer.

"Born to run" by McDougall is a good book to start with.

What if your feat are hosed up au natural and you need special orthotics to not waddle like a duck?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

The Lone Badger posted:

What if your feat are hosed up au natural and you need special orthotics to not waddle like a duck?

Then you take up competitive moseying. Very popular with cowboys.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i LOVE backpacking and i love watching rucking competitions and ive gotta say it does look very cool . wearing a big backpack is normal and good and you shouldn't be concerned about how you bettering yourself looks to the outside world

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes, and long ruck marches on top of the Army's obsession with constant runs on pavement are a reason nearly every retired army person has poo poo knees.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walking is healthy and pleasant especially if you have some nice wilderness or public parks, enjoy op! Not sure if it’ll significantly impact weight loss but your heart and cardio will for sure improve

Definitely recommend getting a half decent backpack if you’re going to be lugging around some weight, for the sake of your back and shoulders. Any daytripping backpack with decent hip support straps should be good.

E: if you’re not used to walking much and overweight, clipped toenails, compression socks and a good pair of hiking shoes will save your feet a LOT of grief. Not sure if this is applicable to you, some of my close family started with hiking to deal with weight loss and there were Lessons Learned.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 13, 2023

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, and long ruck marches on top of the Army's obsession with constant runs on pavement are a reason nearly every retired army person has poo poo knees.

I feel like comparing rucking for fun to army lunacy is a bit unfair. The weight carried, speed and distance is way over what most folks would do normally.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
If you weigh enough any walking is rucking.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Honj Steak posted:

If you weigh enough any walking is rucking.

Hah.. I’m at 194 and trying to lose more

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Some thread necromancy here but I love rucking. I was meant to do a 50 mile star course last year, but life got in the way so I'm doing it this May. I have a dumb fitness log about it. It's also the only consistent exercise I'm willing to do, I hate running and I like the idea of weightlifting more than I do the practice of it.

I will say that when I went to a personal trainer she was surprised at how in-shape I was for someone who just walked for fitness, it keeps my core and the stabilizer muscles in my knees strong. This is necessary for me because I broke my back and my femur a couple years ago. Rucking acts as a bonus to the physical therapy I still do.

Increasing weight too quickly has occasionally led to different knee issues, but I'll do a week of active recovery (same walks just with no weight) and it's always been fine afterwards.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Tried out rucking yesterday, put 30 lbs of textbooks into a hiking backpack and went up a trail that I've done before without much issue. 6 miles up, 6 miles down, 3k ft total elevation change.

Holy poo poo, it's so much more of a workout. I mean like, yes, obviously, but I was really strugglebussing to get to the top and it's a good thing I'm pretty good at going downhill. Legs are super sore today, they actually woke me up from sheer soreness. I think it also took me almost 50% more time. Extremely jealous of all the other people on the trail who were just their normal selves not carrying a big bag.

Was fun though, and didn't need any new equipment; I'll probably try it out some more.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Amara posted:

Extremely jealous of all the other people on the trail who were just their normal selves not carrying a big bag.

yea but those people don't get to feel that weird light/rising feeling in the shoulders when you take the bag off

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been throwing 20lbs in my bag on my walk to work and back. Not a bad way to fit in a little more exercise while I'm doing something I was already going to do.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Amara posted:

Tried out rucking yesterday, put 30 lbs of textbooks into a hiking backpack and went up a trail that I've done before without much issue. 6 miles up, 6 miles down, 3k ft total elevation change.

Holy poo poo, it's so much more of a workout. I mean like, yes, obviously, but I was really strugglebussing to get to the top and it's a good thing I'm pretty good at going downhill. Legs are super sore today, they actually woke me up from sheer soreness. I think it also took me almost 50% more time. Extremely jealous of all the other people on the trail who were just their normal selves not carrying a big bag.

Was fun though, and didn't need any new equipment; I'll probably try it out some more.

If you're worried about your knees doing this my tip is to fill your pack with bottles of water and tip them out when you get to the top.

This way you get all the struggle of going up and reduce the shock loading on your joints that comes from going down.
Its been a game changer in terms of my recovery

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

30 lbs is also a really big jump in weight from 0 lbs! I have janky knees so I had to work my way up to that. The goruck guide for starting weight is 10 lbs if you weigh under 150 and 20 lbs if you weigh over 150, so you went above and beyond!

...really dig that idea to dump water weight before going downhill. I own trekking poles that I need to figure out before the DC50

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

30 lbs is also a really big jump in weight from 0 lbs! I have janky knees so I had to work my way up to that. The goruck guide for starting weight is 10 lbs if you weigh under 150 and 20 lbs if you weigh over 150, so you went above and beyond!

...really dig that idea to dump water weight before going downhill. I own trekking poles that I need to figure out before the DC50

Trekking poles are also a godsend for downhill stuff, especially if you have knee problems
I found out that an adventure park on the other side of the city had free rides down a big ski lift setup if you walked to the top of the hill, I'm pretty sure they were sick of the sight of me for a while there.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Yeah I put 10 lbs in and walked around the house and it didn't feel like it was doing anything. I packed more into the bag and then that was 40 lbs which felt... fine. But then I thought "maybe that's too aggressive let's do 30" which was definitely the right call. I seriously thought about turning back several times.

I actually do have "bad" knees in that I tore a meniscus in both of them had surgery on both. Since the second surgery I've been really diligent about PT and part of knee strengthening is controlled decent. Literally I stand on a box and very slowly lower myself down off of it by stepping down over the course of like 5-10 seconds. These days I do these weighted. This means that when I go downhill I lower myself like my exercises-- so far so good with my normal non-weighted hikes and the knees didn't seem to be an issue with the ruck either. The muscle soreness was manageable today except when I had to lower myself into sitting position, that's really rough. Good thing arm rests exist. Except on the toilet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

carrionman posted:

If you're worried about your knees doing this my tip is to fill your pack with bottles of water and tip them out when you get to the top.

I've been more or less doing this for years. I'll go hiking with way too much water and dump some out on the way down if I feel I won't need it coming back.

It's cold but maybe I should get on this to stay in shape for hiking in the summer. I have a tendency to do big dumb hikes to start the season without much training before hand and it sucks