Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.statesman.com/story/money/food/2023/08/15/eggo-brunch-in-a-jar-liqueur/70595854007/

quote:

Eggo, Sugarlands Distilling Co. team up to launch Eggo Brunch in a Jar Sippin' Cream

Eggo, the company known for its delicious waffles, has teamed up with Sugarlands Distilling Co. to launch a new boozy innovation: Eggo Brunch in a Jar Sippin' Cream.

According to the Kellogg Company, the parent company of Eggo, the liqueur "seamlessly blends the flavors of toasted Eggo waffles, sweet maple syrup and rich butter, with a hint of smoky bacon."

The drink is made so parents can "L'Eggo and enjoy that 'treat yourself' feeling brunch evokes" and is designed to pair with Eggo waffles to "elevate any brunch occasion," Kellogg's said in a news release.

"Between the juggle of constantly changing schedules, household errands, family outings or busy workdays, it can often feel impossible for parents to find moments they can savor for themselves," said Joe Beauprez, Senior Director of Marketing for Frozen Foods, in the release.

Sugarlands Distilling Co. is a craft distillery located in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It was founded in 2014 and produces a full line of craft moonshines and sippin' creams, according to the news release.

"Our distillery team crafted Eggo Brunch in a Jar to combine flavors of toasted Eggo waffles, rich maple syrup and notes of creamy butter, with a savory hint of bacon in every sip," said Greg Eidam, master distiller at Sugerlands Distilling Co. "Eggo Brunch in a Jar is the perfect way to elevate weekend brunch with a fun cocktail or to enjoy classic brunch flavors during your well-deserved 'me time' in the evening."

Eggo Brunch in a Jar is available at select retailers nationwide and online in select states. To find a retailer near you, visit Sugarlands.com/brunchinajar.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Eggos being delicious is a bit of an overstatement.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

would

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone able to find any nutritional information online? I know it's going to be unhealthy for you, just curious how unhealthy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anderson Koopa posted:

Anyone able to find any nutritional information online? I know it's going to be unhealthy for you, just curious how unhealthy.

it's booze so.

probably doesn't have ingredients listed.

----------------

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

----------------

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The phrase sipping cream is extremely unpleasant.

I'm also not convinced this is a real product, like I've heard of it and seen ads but never seen the product in real life....why is eggo making liqueur...who is this for...I'm being trolled by corporations again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

has anyone seen it in the wild yet?

looks like it got a writeup in wapo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/08/22/eggo-brunch-in-a-jar-alcohol/

quote:

In “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” the mad genius candy-maker Willy Wonka’s confections memorably include a “three-course dinner” chewing gum. The treat delivers to its chewers a succession of flavors that span an entire meal, starting with tomato soup, then moving on to roast beef and baked potatoes, and finally a blueberry pie and ice cream dessert — though Wonka boasted that it could taste like any other menu one might choose.

I thought of this fictional creation when I first encountered waffle-maker Eggo’s new “Brunch in a Jar” drink, a boozy concoction whose Wonka-esque creators designed to impart all the tastes you might find on a combination platter at your local diner — “toasted Eggo waffles, sweet maple syrup and rich butter, with a hint of smoky bacon,” per the promotional materials — in a single glass. The drink is the product of a collaboration with Tennessee-based Sugarlands Distilling, whose rum-infused Appalachian Sippin’ Cream forms the base of the Eggo drink.

While struggling to process this novel substance, I was appalled and curious in equal measure. Was this some kind of bizarre meal-replacement product, with the added bonus of a buzz (thanks to the 20 percent ABV)? No. Apparently it’s meant to be consumed alongside … real Eggo waffles in their solid form. And what in the name of Saint Dolly Parton is “sippin’ cream”? A visit to the company’s website reveals that it’s a rich beverage infused with dessert flavors including banana pudding and dark chocolate and coffee. These were not particularly reassuring answers.

Even more baffling was the marketing of the Eggo-inspired drink to parents who can’t actually go out for brunch. “Mom and dad, this one is made specially for you,” the news release promises. “Between the juggle of constantly changing schedules, household errands, family outings or busy workdays, it can often feel impossible for parents to find moments they can savor for themselves,” Joe Beauprez, Kellogg’s senior director of marketing for frozen foods, said in the release. “Eggo Brunch in a Jar makes it easy for parents to kick back when they’re not caring for their little ones.”

I pictured a couple desperately passing each other a jar of waffle-flavored booze in the moments before the kids arrive home from soccer practice, swigging from it as their eyes warily scan the driveway.

Despite having no children to hide my own drinking from, I decided to give the concoction a try. (Okay, this wasn’t entirely my choice. My editors’ insistence might have played a small role in the matter.) I suspected it would be quite sweet, so I knew the keys to making it palatable would be making sure it was very cold — and keeping the serving size down. I scanned the recipes suggested on the website, most of which only added more sugar to the mix. One, dubbed “Morning Chaos,” which calls for the Eggo liquor to be mixed with rum, spiced chai syrup, pineapple juice and blood-orange juice, seemed particularly off-putting. I settled on the “L’Eggo With Eggo,” which adds less than an ounce to cold brew coffee and calls for a topping made with equal parts whipping cream and more of the Eggo booze.

Tried on its own, served over ice, the liquor was even more of a quandary than I initially suspected. How, I wondered, could something simultaneously be acridly bitter and tooth-achingly sweet? I detected all of the promised food groups: faux buttery notes with a bit of smoke (the bacon, I suspected) and a kind of toasted-bread-like quality, all punched in the gut by an overwhelming dose of sharp imitation maple, as if Mrs. Butterworth was getting the better of everyone in a barroom brawl. The texture was viscous and mouth-coating, and I couldn’t imagine anyone drinking more than a sip they’d come to regret.

In the cocktail — an espresso-martini-like mixture — it was more bearable, but only because it had been mercifully diluted by more than 4 to 1.

The urge among food companies to booze-ify their offerings is apparently strong, no matter how improbable the resulting product. (See Arby’s french-fry-flavored vodka, Oreo Thins wine, Hellmann’s “mayo-nog” and the Velveeta martini.) And mash-ups — often done merely for the novelty factor — are an epidemic sweeping the culinary landscape. Kraft Mac & Cheese ice cream? French’s mustard-flavored Skittles? Twinkies cereal? Those are all real things, not the phantasms of a junk-food-loving fourth-grader’s fever dreams.

The longer I contemplated the Eggo booze, the more annoyed I felt. I was irritated by the vague hillbilly cosplay of the container, a jar meant to conjure up moonshine, and the folksy droppin’ of the letter “g,” like it’s some fancy affectation of the elite. I was vexed by the marketers so eager to play Mad Libs with their products, inserting them into contexts no one asked for.

When it comes to my brunch libations, please, Eggo, just l’eggo.

i am intrigued by the velveeta martini

i like how the coaster looks like a puddle

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

The phrase sipping cream is extremely unpleasant.

Agreed, also:

"Oreo Thins wine"

This probably bothers me more than it should. If they are going to make an Oreo wine, okay I guess, but why is the "thins" part necessary? It's not a sugar thing, it's a size thing. How in any way is "thin" going to translate into the imitation Oreo wine drink?

This also led me to discover that they make "extra stuff" Oreo thin cookies. It's like double stuff Oreos, but thins. They made them thinner, then put more stuff in them, to make them less thin again. :shrug:

https://www.oreo.com/oreo-thins-extra-stuf-chocolate-sandwich-cookies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

choice is the bounty of capitalism

----------------

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
They had it at my local liquor store starting a week or two ago. I asked if they had sold any and he said, "no, but multiple people have asked the same question." Looks loving vile, not gonna lie.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Gross!!

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how can you have any pudding if you don't sip your cream?

----------------