Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i mean, i dont smoke. but from what i see of other peopes attempt, it sure looks to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what other life goals are np hard?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i managed to accidently quit vaping once by just not being bothered to go buy a new vape so

i think it's a per person thing, ive heard it's easy for some people and hard for others

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is it np, or is it hard, op?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raluek posted:

is it np, or is it hard, op?

i just can’t get hard for smoking

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

smoking being “benign” in the short term and non intoxicating, a break from work, easy social crutch, &c make it harder to quit than it would be otherwise. i mean it sucks and it can rly wrap it’s tentacles around your brain but it was still easier to quit than opes or smth on a willpower and subjective misery standpoint

quitting smoking isn’t at all np hard it’s just hard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

OldAlias posted:

smoking being “benign” in the short term and non intoxicating, a break from work, easy social crutch, &c make it harder to quit than it would be otherwise. i mean it sucks and it can rly wrap it’s tentacles around your brain but it was still easier to quit than opes or smth on a willpower and subjective misery standpoint

quitting smoking isn’t at all np hard it’s just hard

what about “opes” then? np hard?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what is "np hard" anyway

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

what is "np hard" anyway

it’s computer lingo for “almost impossible”

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fart simpson posted:

it’s computer lingo for “almost impossible”

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm 3 weeks into quitting vaping and yes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
quitting smoking is easy. Just dont smoke any more. Dont put a cigarette in your mouth and light it. Pretty straightforward really.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Allan Carr says it's easy to quit

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

quitting smoking is easy. Just dont smoke any more. Dont put a cigarette in your mouth and light it. Pretty straightforward really.

i mean yeah this is literally it. people make it way more complicated than it is, but this is it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

(puffing gently on tobacco pipe) indeed, i never touch the stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have tragic levels of self controls so drat I am pleased I never started

there’s a woman at work who is “unsure” if vaping is bad for you so she just smokes

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

echinopsis posted:

I have tragic levels of self controls so drat I am pleased I never started

there’s a woman at work who is “unsure” if vaping is bad for you so she just smokes

Smart. Better the devil you know.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

Allan Carr says it's easy to quit

and he’s right. I smoked from age 14 to 44 and tried stopping countless times. read Alan carr’s easy way cover to cover twice over a couple of days and stopped without a single problem. never looked back and never will

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

this is horrible advice and won’t work for most people. unless you fix the thinking that drives you to do it there is a very high relapse of, iirc, 90%. the physical addiction part of smoking is relatively easy to kick, it’s all the bullshit “good things” smokers believe about it will drive them back to it.

it doesn’t calm you down, that’s just staving off of the current withdrawals. there’s nothing magic about the after sex or dinner cigarette, it’s just you didn’t smoke for longer than usual. that high feeling you get after you didn’t have one for a while is oxygen deprivation and you can just hold your breath instead if you particularly enjoy it

smoking is the continual, expensive, deadlyl pursuit of feeling normal like people who don’t smoke at all

shitface fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 17, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

shitface posted:

this is horrible advice and won’t work for most people. unless you fix the thinking that drives you to do it there is a very high relapse of, iirc, 90%. the physical addiction part of smoking is relatively easy to kick, it’s all the bullshit “good things” smokers believe about it will drive them back to it.

it doesn’t calm you down, that’s just staving off of the current withdrawals. there’s nothing magic about the after sex or dinner cigarette, it’s just you didn’t smoke for longer than usual. that high feeling you get after you didn’t have one for a while is oxygen deprivation and you can just hold your breath instead if you particularly enjoy it

smoking is the continual, expensive, deadlyl pursuit of feeling normal like people who don’t smoke at all

drat, thought we'd cracked it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

shitface posted:

i dont think it was advice op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shitface posted:

it’s funny how wrong you are in this post, that I’m thinking it either must be a bit or bait, or mb you’re more sheltered than normal

it’s absolutely calming it’s a drug in itself. I found em very calming from the very first cig so that’s obviously not withdrawal, and ppl with various mental disorders find therapeutic value in smoking, I definitely did at points. most ppl would place its value as less than its harm but that’s a choice for us all to make isn’t it?

after sex cigs can absolutely hit harder, if you don’t understand how good it can feel to smoke when there’s a cascade of good feels and chemicals in your head and body then idk man. it’s similar to smoking after dropping the plunger or smoking when rolling or…

& it’s not oxygen deprivation lol. i know what that feels like and it’s nothing like cigs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

your post reads like an anti drug psa and just as uninformed lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I am now compelled to defend cigs. smoking is good for you, it’s like smoking your vitamins

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i haven't gotten np hard for 10 years

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

OldAlias posted:

it’s funny how wrong you are in this post, that I’m thinking it either must be a bit or bait, or mb you’re more sheltered than normal

it’s absolutely calming it’s a drug in itself. I found em very calming from the very first cig so that’s obviously not withdrawal, and ppl with various mental disorders find therapeutic value in smoking, I definitely did at points. most ppl would place its value as less than its harm but that’s a choice for us all to make isn’t it?

after sex cigs can absolutely hit harder, if you don’t understand how good it can feel to smoke when there’s a cascade of good feels and chemicals in your head and body then idk man. it’s similar to smoking after dropping the plunger or smoking when rolling or…

& it’s not oxygen deprivation lol. i know what that feels like and it’s nothing like cigs

I'm not gonna accept any wisdom from someone running on reduced o2 levels

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife doesn’t like to smoke after sex as the vibrations make it hard to not ash on the duvet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yes it is "no problem hard" in that it is hard but no problem. hope this helps

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i haven't gotten np hard for 10 years

it happens to lots of guys

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I can stop any time I like, it's just kinda hard

prime factoring numbers is the same

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

allan carr's book was talked about on this american life a few weeks ago and it doesn't come out looking great, mostly incurious pseudoscience that happens to align with working with people sometimes

they interview the guy who runs the Allan Carr foundation and are all, "but look, you can measure scientifically that nicotine has an effect on the body in contrast to what the book (and the guy above who's all "nicotine highs are just oxygen deprivation") tells you" and the Allan Carr guy gets super defensive and says "well the studies are wrong and I believe something different", to the point where weeks after the interview the guy is calling the TAL host and leaving weird messages on his voicemail about "why would you want to defend smoking" as if NPR is in the pockets of Big Pharma or something :rolleyes:

but to the OP's question: I can validate in polynomial time whether you have smoked in the the last `n` days so it is not NP-hard

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 17, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

allan carr's book was talked about on this american life a few weeks ago and it doesn't come out looking great, mostly incurious pseudoscience that happens to align with working with people sometimes

they interview the guy who runs the Allan Carr foundation and are all, "but look, you can measure scientifically that nicotine has an effect on the body in contrast to what the book (and the guy above who's all "nicotine highs are just oxygen deprivation") tells you" and the Allan Carr guy gets super defensive and says "well the studies are wrong and I believe something different", to the point where weeks after the interview the guy is calling the TAL host and leaving weird messages on his voicemail about "why would you want to defend smoking" as if NPR is in the pockets of Big Pharma or something :rolleyes:

but to the OP's question: I can validate in polynomial time whether you have smoked in the the last `n` days so it is not NP-hard

lol that’s weird. like why lie it’s not like it’s hard to make an argument against smoking, lying about basic facts is a good way to get ppl to not trust anything you’re saying

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cig cravings as some variation of the halting problem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

OldAlias posted:

cig cravings as some variation of the halting problem

can you expand upon this?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

what is "np hard" anyway

it's a computer science thing for algorithms that was explained to me once in college. I thought I understood it then but I probably really didn't

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ah, this is like when they tried to teach me big o notation and i learned nothing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

hbag posted:

ah, this is like when they tried to teach me big o notation and i learned nothing

it's pretty easy, you just draw one circle bigger than the other. you have to be careful though because sometimes the circle gets too big

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

tech interviewers really like the big o though, so it's good to have a handle on for that alone. if interviewers started talking about p or np or whatever I'd laugh at them

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

OldAlias posted:

lol that’s weird. like why lie it’s not like it’s hard to make an argument against smoking, lying about basic facts is a good way to get ppl to not trust anything you’re saying

the weirdest thing was that it wasn't even a lie in the sense that the other person didn't seem to know or care; the Allan Carr Institute guy treated the easy way method more like blind faith than anything else and thought the notion that a bit of empiricism and neurobiology things might inform a (n even) better way to quit smoking absurd

akadajet posted:

tech interviewers really like the big o though, so it's good to have a handle on for that alone. if interviewers started talking about p or np or whatever I'd laugh at them
yeah, the only time in an interview where I benefitted from knowing about complexity classes was (of course) in a Google interview when I was given a slightly obfuscated traveling salesman problem to which the interviewer just wanted to hear "in the next 45 minutes we're not going to do much better than brute-forcing all routes so I'll just do that"