Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
learn haskell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

i think i have a grasp on what makes a function take longer but i could not write it out as math

assuming you don't want to work for google anyway, that's fine

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean ill need to figure it out so i can actually pass interviews right

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

i can't really answer that because i haven't interviewed anywhere in a long time

but as an anecdotal data point, we don't mandate that type of bullshit where i work. if your job will be pushing react components around a page, we ask about that; if you job will be building api endpoints, we ask about that. we'll certainly touch on performance but we're not going to ask anyone to express something in big O notation specifically, though they can if they really want to

idk what others are doing

now please, lets return to talking about the joys of smoking and the myriad medical problems that can be treated with a delicious cigarette, which is what this thread is about if i'm remembering correctly...?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i and just about every single person in existence doing algorithmics work use big-o, intend a precise meaning, and if we're abandoning the meaning would need to invent new terminology for what was previously intended.

i’m not trying to say it’s useless and should be abandoned, i’m saying that you’re just loosely bounding the overall costs as an important part of describing the algorithm, and having holes of a sort in the formal definition that would only matter for implausible functions doesn’t seem like it meaningfully damages that goal

i mean sure, if someone did have an algorithm with a cost function like that, and they published it with a big-O description that completely elided that complexity because of that flaw in the formal definition, i guess someone else who trusted that big-O could publish an algorithm derived from it and do a completely incorrect analysis of their own big-O. that would be pretty upsetting for sure

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 18, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I really enjoy the feeling of getting buzzed and I somewhat recently got in the habit of having a cigarette in the morning with my coffee or on a drive late at night with the windows down. it rules, even though I know all of the downsides. i go through a pack every 3-4 weeks.

I agree the craving is highly situational and you really need to work on changing those habits before you consider quitting. I have gone weeks without having one before without any issues but as soon as I am in the right situation, it’s extremely easy to say gently caress it and light one up

oh well

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah so anyway if you want to stop smoking, its easy: just dont smoke any more cigarettes.-

:wrong:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
you should smoke more cigarettes, so you will get tired of them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

make yourself smoke a whole carton as punishment

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if something feels good, it’s good for you. so, smoking is good for you. also there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I offer nicotine replacement products (NRT) to people

I like to offer hopefully some encouraging advice :

every cigarette you don’t smoke is good
a 20 a day smoker going to 15 a day is an improvement

failure to totally quit can lead people to a “gently caress it” place, so focusing on progress is a good thing to
do

if you quit and start again, well, that’s better than not quitting because you smoked less cigarettes overall

if you simply can’t escape nicotine dependency and end up on NRT for life that’s ok. less than ideal sure but smoking is just so fuckin bad for that almost anything else is a better alternative. especially vaping, basically a drop in replacement, which has its own issues of course but is still better than smoking

NRT is the worst. if there's one group you can count on less for your health than big tobacco, it's big pharma. a typical cigarette has 1-1.5 mg of nicotine and if you buy gum the typical advice is "do you tend to smoke within 30 minutes of waking? (which is pretty much every smoker of any degree) Then you should start on 4mg gum". That's 3-4 cigarettes first thing in the morning. A surefire cure for nicotine addiction right there

the physical addiction to nicotine is over in 1-3 days. those days can kinda suck, no doubt. fix your head first and they are the last days you're a slave to this poo poo. the last time you delay getting ready for dinner/gym/whatever so you don't smell like poo poo. the last time you wheeze your way up a gentle hill. the last time you stress the poo poo out of your heart for absolutely no benefit. my average resting heart dropped 15 bpm 2 weeks after quitting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there are a myriad of ways to quit and if what a person needs at this stage in their life is a replacement for the nicotine then NRT is appropriate and available

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just thought of a constant time traveling salesman algorithm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lotta people in here opining when they should be refraining from doing so

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

amen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this thread is confusing and i don't like it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

those are both facts not opinions buster brown don't you try to sass me

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

cigarette computer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

OldAlias posted:

cigarette computer

now we're talkin!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people who never got big o can probably take solace in knowing their intimate partners likely never got a big o from them either

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

this thread is very yospos

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what counts as "opining" i dont actually know what that word means and im not sure why a bunch of people just got killed by rotor

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

hbag posted:

what counts as "opining" i dont actually know what that word means and im not sure why a bunch of people just got killed by rotor

rotor is an anagram of troll

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i dont believe thats true actually

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hbag posted:

there are a lot of Secret Yospos Rules that only I and a select Council of Elders know about

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hmm that sounds like an excuse to exert your wrath at will

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

cool notation you got there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

no. no one cares except turbodorks

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

rotors are very dangerous, they’re sharp and move fast and you should stand well clear

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

git apologist posted:

no. no one cares except turbodorks

yes, computer touchers

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i remember when smoking in bars was banned in nz and one weekend clubs were like smokey mysterious cool kids zones and the next they were revolting miasmas of fart, sweat, vomit, and piss aromas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

i remember when smoking in bars was banned in nz and one weekend clubs were like smokey mysterious cool kids zones and the next they were revolting miasmas of fart, sweat, vomit, and piss aromas

i dont remember that.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

me either if you can believe it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ya i guess whenever u two go anywhere they are by definition not cool kid zones

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

git apologist posted:

same thing happened here, ruined bars for me. the smoke haze did a lot of heavy lifting for the atmosphere

wait a second, these aren’t sexy, mysterious strangers, they’re a bunch of drunk, depressed burnouts

e: sorry, i shouldn’t sign my posts

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah. they're cool adult zones :smug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

same thing happened here, ruined bars for me. the smoke haze did a lot of heavy lifting for the atmosphere

wait a second, these aren’t sexy, mysterious strangers, they’re a bunch of drunk, depressed burnouts

e: sorry, i shouldn’t sign my posts

same thing happened here and it made bars a lot better for me. the smoke haze smelled terrible and stuck to my hair and clothes so i'd have to go home and shower before bed and throw my clothes in the washing machine or i could still smell the cigarettes in my bedroom the next morning

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

same thing happened here and it made bars a lot better for me. the smoke haze smelled terrible and stuck to my hair and clothes so i'd have to go home and shower before bed and throw my clothes in the washing machine or i could still smell the cigarettes in my bedroom the next morning

well i was in my late 20s when it happened here, so i still didn’t mind being the disgusting bar sleaze, just acknowledging that that was who i was hanging out with

of course if i’m being totally honest, and aren’t we all, i was not a huge bar person to start with so it wasn’t much to give up, and my partner was a smoker then so the smell would be coming home with us regardless

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Smoking is very bad for you but it does make you look cool and im tired of people pretending it doesnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i don't think anyone in this thread was saying it doesn't