Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

Allan Carr says it's easy to quit

and he’s right. I smoked from age 14 to 44 and tried stopping countless times. read Alan carr’s easy way cover to cover twice over a couple of days and stopped without a single problem. never looked back and never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

quitting smoking is easy. Just dont smoke any more. Dont put a cigarette in your mouth and light it. Pretty straightforward really.

this is horrible advice and won’t work for most people. unless you fix the thinking that drives you to do it there is a very high relapse of, iirc, 90%. the physical addiction part of smoking is relatively easy to kick, it’s all the bullshit “good things” smokers believe about it will drive them back to it.

it doesn’t calm you down, that’s just staving off of the current withdrawals. there’s nothing magic about the after sex or dinner cigarette, it’s just you didn’t smoke for longer than usual. that high feeling you get after you didn’t have one for a while is oxygen deprivation and you can just hold your breath instead if you particularly enjoy it

smoking is the continual, expensive, deadlyl pursuit of feeling normal like people who don’t smoke at all

shitface fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 17, 2023

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

ok, seriousposting about smoking but I swear I’m not one of those ex-smokers who tut and roll their eyes. i couldn’t give a poo poo about someone else smoking and I don’t even really care about passive smoking. after 30 years of chain smoking, I don’t think a whisp of someone else’s is what’s gonna get me

with that said, if even one person reading this feels in the grip I’m telling you have to fix your head on it before you even try putting down the last one. it’s horribly addictive and mind altering, even from the first one, and it’s not helping you one bit.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

OldAlias posted:

it’s funny how wrong you are in this post, that I’m thinking it either must be a bit or bait, or mb you’re more sheltered than normal

it’s absolutely calming it’s a drug in itself. I found em very calming from the very first cig so that’s obviously not withdrawal

you choked your rear end off on your first cigarette. everyone does. 10,000+ later you’re convinced it was a whale of a time. this is the hosed up poo poo smokers tell themselves that ensure that they will never stop. nicotine is like that tng episode where everyone walks around cumming in the turbolift with their AR headsets on

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

someone itt seems to be getting somewhat riled up, have you considered ingesting a substance that binds to the Alpha-9 and Alpha-10 nAChR receptors, inducing a dopamine release and calming effect

Nice edit

Tell me how it will help me

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

OldAlias posted:

nah it was smooth as hell and delicious, I was transported straight to flavour town. It was the most enjoyable cig I had just on its own, before I permanently tainted my brain with other substances at least

eventually cigs became only enjoyable to me on certain substances, like opiates, as they acted like a leash for my high and recreated the rush of IV drugs in miniature. its why so many junkies smoke cigs poo poo it feels too good not to

what got me to quit was cuz my doc wouldn’t prescribe me hrt if I didn’t. otherwise what got me to quit was smoking during a flu, which caused me to cough up blood for a week. very spooky & gross. finally it just doesn’t feel anywhere as good as it used to, it’s rly not the same on maintenance drugs, so there’s no real desire to smoke anymore. it’s been… 5 years? more? since I stopped smoking

Sure. Out of curiously, how long ago was that?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

OldAlias posted:

how long ago was what? my first cig I was 15 in Italy, I think in the city of Perugia. I bummed a malboro red from a friend, it was absurdly delicious and felt better than it had any right to. I ended up buying packs of lucky strikes and gauloises, the latter of which was one of my goto brands for a while as I could get em in Canada

and then I smoked for … a decade? maybe slightly longer, but not by much

k. if you’re happy with it, i’m ok with it. I’m really only trying to speak with people who hate it and want to stop. I hated it but could never give it up until I stopped lying to myself about why I did it. It doesn’t help, not at all. Once you’re addicted, the best you can do is quelling the addiction (or understanding it, realizing it’s ultimately pointless and just not doing that)

shitface fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 17, 2023

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah so anyway if you want to stop smoking, its easy: just dont smoke any more cigarettes.-

:wrong:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I offer nicotine replacement products (NRT) to people

I like to offer hopefully some encouraging advice :

every cigarette you don’t smoke is good
a 20 a day smoker going to 15 a day is an improvement

failure to totally quit can lead people to a “gently caress it” place, so focusing on progress is a good thing to
do

if you quit and start again, well, that’s better than not quitting because you smoked less cigarettes overall

if you simply can’t escape nicotine dependency and end up on NRT for life that’s ok. less than ideal sure but smoking is just so fuckin bad for that almost anything else is a better alternative. especially vaping, basically a drop in replacement, which has its own issues of course but is still better than smoking

NRT is the worst. if there's one group you can count on less for your health than big tobacco, it's big pharma. a typical cigarette has 1-1.5 mg of nicotine and if you buy gum the typical advice is "do you tend to smoke within 30 minutes of waking? (which is pretty much every smoker of any degree) Then you should start on 4mg gum". That's 3-4 cigarettes first thing in the morning. A surefire cure for nicotine addiction right there

the physical addiction to nicotine is over in 1-3 days. those days can kinda suck, no doubt. fix your head first and they are the last days you're a slave to this poo poo. the last time you delay getting ready for dinner/gym/whatever so you don't smell like poo poo. the last time you wheeze your way up a gentle hill. the last time you stress the poo poo out of your heart for absolutely no benefit. my average resting heart dropped 15 bpm 2 weeks after quitting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

hbag posted:

what counts as "opining" i dont actually know what that word means and im not sure why a bunch of people just got killed by rotor

he probably just wanted a smoke