Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

smoking being “benign” in the short term and non intoxicating, a break from work, easy social crutch, &c make it harder to quit than it would be otherwise. i mean it sucks and it can rly wrap it’s tentacles around your brain but it was still easier to quit than opes or smth on a willpower and subjective misery standpoint

quitting smoking isn’t at all np hard it’s just hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fart simpson posted:

it’s computer lingo for “almost impossible”

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shitface posted:

this is horrible advice and won’t work for most people. unless you fix the thinking that drives you to do it there is a very high relapse of, iirc, 90%. the physical addiction part of smoking is relatively easy to kick, it’s all the bullshit “good things” smokers believe about it will drive them back to it.

it doesn’t calm you down, that’s just staving off of the current withdrawals. there’s nothing magic about the after sex or dinner cigarette, it’s just you didn’t smoke for longer than usual. that high feeling you get after you didn’t have one for a while is oxygen deprivation and you can just hold your breath instead if you particularly enjoy it

smoking is the continual, expensive, deadlyl pursuit of feeling normal like people who don’t smoke at all

it’s funny how wrong you are in this post, that I’m thinking it either must be a bit or bait, or mb you’re more sheltered than normal

it’s absolutely calming it’s a drug in itself. I found em very calming from the very first cig so that’s obviously not withdrawal, and ppl with various mental disorders find therapeutic value in smoking, I definitely did at points. most ppl would place its value as less than its harm but that’s a choice for us all to make isn’t it?

after sex cigs can absolutely hit harder, if you don’t understand how good it can feel to smoke when there’s a cascade of good feels and chemicals in your head and body then idk man. it’s similar to smoking after dropping the plunger or smoking when rolling or…

& it’s not oxygen deprivation lol. i know what that feels like and it’s nothing like cigs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

your post reads like an anti drug psa and just as uninformed lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I am now compelled to defend cigs. smoking is good for you, it’s like smoking your vitamins

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Dijkstracula posted:

allan carr's book was talked about on this american life a few weeks ago and it doesn't come out looking great, mostly incurious pseudoscience that happens to align with working with people sometimes

they interview the guy who runs the Allan Carr foundation and are all, "but look, you can measure scientifically that nicotine has an effect on the body in contrast to what the book (and the guy above who's all "nicotine highs are just oxygen deprivation") tells you" and the Allan Carr guy gets super defensive and says "well the studies are wrong and I believe something different", to the point where weeks after the interview the guy is calling the TAL host and leaving weird messages on his voicemail about "why would you want to defend smoking" as if NPR is in the pockets of Big Pharma or something :rolleyes:

but to the OP's question: I can validate in polynomial time whether you have smoked in the the last `n` days so it is not NP-hard

lol that’s weird. like why lie it’s not like it’s hard to make an argument against smoking, lying about basic facts is a good way to get ppl to not trust anything you’re saying

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cig cravings as some variation of the halting problem

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big O is rly easy? idk what’s not to get

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

post hole digger posted:

they come from the earth ✌️

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah. researchers that should know better gently caress up often, e.g. writing O(2^n) when they mean 2^(O(n)), writing O when they mean Omega, plus the folklore definitions of big-o over multiple variables is straight up incorrect.

I know in practice poo poo can be tricky sometimes, I remember having to do this poo poo in uni, but the fundamental idea of ‘some algorithms run faster, or slower, than others’ and by what degree isn’t tough like, conceptually to wrap your head around

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shitface posted:

you choked your rear end off on your first cigarette. everyone does. 10,000+ later you’re convinced it was a whale of a time. this is the hosed up poo poo smokers tell themselves that ensure that they will never stop. nicotine is like that tng episode where everyone walks around cumming in the turbolift with their AR headsets on

nah it was smooth as hell and delicious, I was transported straight to flavour town. It was the most enjoyable cig I had just on its own, before I permanently tainted my brain with other substances at least

eventually cigs became only enjoyable to me on certain substances, like opiates, as they acted like a leash for my high and recreated the rush of IV drugs in miniature. its why so many junkies smoke cigs poo poo it feels too good not to

what got me to quit was cuz my doc wouldn’t prescribe me hrt if I didn’t. otherwise what got me to quit was smoking during a flu, which caused me to cough up blood for a week. very spooky & gross. finally it just doesn’t feel anywhere as good as it used to, it’s rly not the same on maintenance drugs, so there’s no real desire to smoke anymore. it’s been… 5 years? more? since I stopped smoking

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

how long ago was what? my first cig I was 15 in Italy, I think in the city of Perugia. I bummed a malboro red from a friend, it was absurdly delicious and felt better than it had any right to. I ended up buying packs of lucky strikes and gauloises, the latter of which was one of my goto brands for a while as I could get em in Canada

and then I smoked for … a decade? maybe slightly longer, but not by much

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

well-read undead posted:

in my experience of doing actual programming for money, big O notation is something talked about in interviews and literally nowhere else. i've never heard a programmer mention big O while actually doing a job

for the minority of roles where writing high performance algorithms is a core requirement, maybe it's a thing, but we simply leave those roles to the math nerds who, for some unknown reason, love that poo poo

~on the other topic~

it is folly for an ex-smoker to opine to other would-be ex-smokers about the "right way" to quit, because different people are different

my partner quit smoking 2 years ago after smoking for 25 years. she hasn't had a cigarette since, and she will never touch one again, but she misses them ALL THE TIME, even now, even though she understands exactly how they played on her reward mechanisms

agreed tho having a general sense of time and space complexity and how performant or not your poo poo is is a thing any programmer should be aware of at least on some level

also agreed

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if something feels good, it’s good for you. so, smoking is good for you. also there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

this thread is confusing and i don't like it

cigarette computer

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

I quit smoking about 15 years ago. I still miss nicotine, and probably always will.

Smoking makes you smell awful, and kind of makes you a social pariah. But I was never sharper than 10 minutes after having a cigarette.

it’s easy mode socializing among other social pariahs at least lol

but yeah I still think about smoking from time to time it can be annoying. if I ever crack and pursue safe supply, that will realistically get me to start smoking again. for now I smoke too much weed instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

coke is the worst, shits gross impure and expensive, and much too short lived. love to be subjected to ppls gross egos and the most annoying conversations at way too loud a volume (why are so many cokeheads and ex users So Loud it’s as if coke fucks with your hearing)